Leather Lips IPA - The Tap Brewing Company

Leather Lips IPALeather Lips IPA

The Tap Brewing Company visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 04-05-2004

he brewing process by itself contains enough Nugget and Chinook to satisfy the most seasoned hop head. But we couldn’t leave it alone. Once fermentation is complete we add a massive hop bag to the bright tank that is bursting at the seams with whole cone Centennial for an aroma that you just can’t get any other way. High fives all around.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leather Lips IPA Alström Bros
3.4/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Gtreid shared this one with me. Poured into my cigar city snifter.

A- golden in color like apple juice. Small white head that quickly fades. Little lacing left.

S- pine, hops,hops,and some more hops. There is some citrus in the background. if the taste follows the nose, this is gonna be one bitter brew.

T- yup this sucker is bitter. No presence of any malts or sweetness. I love hops but I prefer a more balanced approach. The citrus is also not very big. There are hints of grapefruit and maybe pineapple, but again, they are overshadowed by the bitterness of the hops.

M- like my mouth has been vaccumed. Very dry. Not in a refreshing way either. Its just not my fav style of an ipa.

D- 6 oz was enough. I don't think I could drink to much of this. It's just too unbalanced for me.

4.1/5  rDev +4.3%

Reviewed from notes.

Poured into a Duvel tulip

A: Pours an amber orange color. One finger head.

S: Citrus and a hint of pine hops. A nice sweet malty backbone here too.

T: One of the more unbalanced IPA's I've had. Reminds me of the Smuttynose Findest Kind. Floral and pine hops are favored here. A touch of citrus hops is the only faint sweetness here.

M: Moderate carbonation with a hop presence that lingers.

D: Love this beer. Wish we had it down South. This would be close to a regular in my fridge.

3.57/5  rDev -9.2%

12 oz. bottle thanks to joepais, as part of the Great Beanie BIF. Poured into a standard pint glass.

A: Bright copper orange color. An aggressive pour forced a small white head that quickly vanished and left no evidence of it's existence.

A: Hoppy all the way. I get a small sweetness from the malts, but let's not kid ourselves, this is a West coast IPA brewed in Mass. This one is all about the hops.

T: The Chinook and Centennial hops take center stage. Citrusy and dry. This has to be the driest beer I have ever had. The hops take all the saliva out of my mouth, and actually make me want a glass of water.

M: A little thin here. Decent carbonation levels, but could use a bit more malt to balance out the extreme bitterness from the hops, and give this a little more body.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is just ok. This one's a palate wrecker for sure, so couldn't have too many of these. Overall, I like what Haverhill was trying to do here, it just didn't get executed to it's fullest. The bottle says 50 IBU's. Yeah right, and Miller Lite is my favorite beer. Probably won't seek this out again, but glad I got to try. Skal.

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

Mmm this was a pleasant surprise!

A) Caramel/Amber/Honey colored with fluffy white sturdy head with good retention

S) Strong nose; citrus hops, a little pine, and some subtle caramel

T) Very hoppy! Strong citrus, pineapple, and bitter pines. Slight soap.

MF) Nice medium body, smooth and soft feeling

D) Excellent! Super bitter hop-blast, pleasantly surprised at the relatively low ABV.

3.64/5  rDev -7.4%

Received as an extra from jmu500...thanks man! Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Lindeman's champaigne flute(haha, had to find a reason to use this glass...IPA's work). Pours a frosty clear golden color, with a nice size white frothy head...about a finger and a half. Head dissapates semi-slow, but remains a creamy thin surface of froth. Leaves nice sticky white frothy lacing.

Aroma is fantastic. Best smelling IPA ever(believe it or not)! Very fruit-up-front, citrus, pear. Very slight bitter piny-hop in the back. Aroma overall is sweet and inviting.

Flavor is a tad of a let down. Hoppy up front, slight fruit...dry, high carbonation(fridge temp...40'ish degrees). The huge hop bite controls most of the flavor and mouthfeel of this beer. The slight sweet fruit taste is in the aftertaste. Light, smooth, and crisp mouthfeel. Overall, a decent IPA.

3.32/5  rDev -15.5%

Received in a trade with BA johnmichaelsen, thanks John! The beer poured a clean, clear, pale golden straw color with no head or lacing.

The aroma had a nice hop aroma, but was a little on the subdued side. I didn't find much piney flavor, but did get citrus and the beer had a bitter finish.

The body was on the thin side and drinkability was decent, but I probably wouldn't drink more than a couple in a row. Overall, a decent IPA that I would drink semi-regularly if it were local for me.

3.64/5  rDev -7.4%

The color was a light rusty orange. Smells of strong citrusy orange peel over sweet malts. Tasted was much sweeter than the smell alluded to though. A burnt nuttiness was close behind or even equal to the hop presence. In the end I also tasted a lingering strong bitterness, a piney aftertaste similar to the APA. Great drinkability with a mid-range body but (yes, this is an attribute) a pretty low ABV (5%). I'd say this is one to try, but not I'd choose for a go-to IPA.

4.8/5  rDev +22.1%

Poured 12 oz. bottle into Sam Adams pint glass.

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden copper color with 2-finger off-white head that leaves behind a lot of nice lacy foam.

S: Mostly citrusy and piney with a hint of apricot and some sweet maltiness.

T: Nice grapefruit/orange bitterness punch up front but very balanced with some sweet biscuity malt. Leaves some resinous pine behind and finishes mostly dry.

M: Medium-bodied, carbonated just right, very crisp.

D: I'd been recommended this beer by a number of people and it 100% lived up to the bar that was set for it. Probably one of the most sessionable IPA's I've ever had. Glad I bought a 6-pack, but next time I'll have to find some room for more in the fridge.

2.5/5  rDev -36.4%

Opened with barely a sound and poured from a 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A - Deep golden color with a bit of a haze and no head to speak of (even with an aggressive pour) due to the lack of carbonation

S - Very faint hops and toasted malt

T - All bitter with very little hop flavor or aroma. Slight toasty malt.

M - Very thin with almost no carbonation

D - Total drain pour. I wouldn't mind trying it fresh on tap to give it another shot but I don't see myself bothering with another bottle.

3.95/5  rDev +0.5%

Thanks to hophead101 for sending me this beer as an extra.

Pours murky yellow with a white head. The aroma is orange and pine. The flavor is strong citrus with hardly any bitterness. Slightly thin, watery mouthfeel with low-medium carbonation. Glad I got to try this one and it didn't disappoint.

3.9/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a snifter on 2/6/10

Many thanks to smutty33 for the chance to try this one

Amber in color with something of a golden sheen about it. Just a faint bit of cloudiness. The color spectrum is pretty much uniform. It poured a head that was just over one finger, though it recedes within a minute or two, leaving patchy bubbles & the start of decent lacing. Thin but consistent retention & ok lacing throughout.

The nose offers a decent amount of floral hop notes, as well as over-ripe citrus - mainly grapefruit with some orange rind. A subtle hint of caramel weaves its way through a reasonably prominent toasted breadiness. For the most part the nose seems content to feature alpha acidity.

Based on the nose the taste isn't too far off from what I would expect, albeit with a greater penchant for quantifiable hoppiness. An even-keeled, dry piney bitterness takes the lead & is most notable from beginning to end. Thankfully this takes precedence over the citric profile which seems almost too ripe & somewhat muddled; this is a minor complaint. Malts appear to stay out of the way; a toastiness lingers in back, while the caramel from the nose is all but absent.

Medium body with moderate carbonation. There is enough resiny grit to help keep things interesting. This is indeed very dry & it finishes as such with a sharp bitterness lingering for a few moments.

This is a beer that certainly seems to improve as it warms. I like it quite a bit. Leatherlips comes across as a stark rendition of the style; at 50 IBUs & 5% abv Haverhill seems intent on doing more with less. If that's so, I'd say they have succeeded.

4.32/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-Slightly hazed, bright golden copper with a medium off-white head that reduces to a thin veil and leaves behind an attractive coating of lacy foam.

S-Up front spicy citrus and some backing pine. Sweet biscuit malt backs up this fairly aggressive hop bill.

T-BAM! A big old blast of orange rind bitterness crashes onto the palate. Resinous pine and an actual leather like dryness builds in behind. Lightly sweet biscuit malt backs all of this hoppy goodness up.

M-Medium-light body, sharp and crisp bitterness and a pleasant astringency.

D-Damn nice! This one really lives up to its name. Amazingly dry in a way that totally works in an IPA. This plus the fact that it clocks in at a sessionable 5% ABV and is loaded with flavour makes this one a go to IPA for sure. If I could get Haverhill fresh and local this beer would definitely have a permanent spot in my beer arsenal!

3.34/5  rDev -15%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

The color is a clear orange with a nice two fingers of white foamy head with some thick lacing on the glass.

The smell is full with some nice hop flavor. There are some nice wet hop flavor come in late and take hold.

The taste is malty and with a really high hop flavor as well, kicking into the back end of the beer. There is a really nice pine flavor as well.

The feel is light and is light enough to have a nice hoppt presence and not take too much off the typical meal with this beer. Is light but mellow as well.

4.27/5  rDev +8.7%

12 oz pour into an imperial pint glass

A: A burnt orange color that pours with a 2 finger white head. There is some spotted lacing left behind

S: Solid hop profile with your typical grapefruit/pine combo for an IPA. There is a bread scent that arrives once it warms

T: A pretty intense dry, hoppy flavor. Citrus and pine present as well

M: Light bodied and carbonated well. A crisp, dry finish

D: A great sessionable beer. Surprisingly flavorful for a 5% beer. For some reason this hasn't made it's way up to Maine yet, otherwise it would be a staple in my fridge

3.76/5  rDev -4.3%

12oz bottle poured into a Matilda glass.

Beer pours a slightly hazy amber color with a somewhat frothy white head that stays for a short while and leaves a pretty decent lacing around the glass. Smell is of moderate hops and slight fruitiness. Nothing too amazing. Hop bitterness is medium and the taste runs along good lines with most average to above average IPAs. Mouthfeel is smooth with the bitterness of the hops rolling across the tongue and making its presence most known at the end. I know they say ABV is not important in a good beer but I could go for a little higher on this one. Good though if it were a regular offering around here. Only recieved the one in a trade not too long ago. Drinkability is definitely high and I could see myself drinking this beer on a regular basis if that were an option. One to be tried if you've never had it. If you have... have another. Only beer tried by this brewery, will have to see about others.

4.85/5  rDev +23.4%

I recently made a two hour drive to Julios and picked this up after reading such glorious reviews. The case I picked up tasted flat so I didn't review. I emailed Jon at Haverhill and spoke with Andy and they were gracious enough to send me a case and were very nice to deal with. I am so happy I didn't review this before they sent me a case. Okay I'll get to the point!

A - Just excellent could not believe the head on this and tremendous lacing. My first batch did not look like this.

S - I smell the floral and citrus hops. It smells like a west coast IPA in a sense.

T - This is such a great IPA. I'm drinking my second one I immediately opened after my first. It really is that good.

M - I cannot believe this is only 50 IBU and 5% abv. I really can't believe you could get this flavor from that.

D - Wow I could drink these like water all nite. I love Smuttynose Finestkind IPA as that is my go to beer; however, this must also be made part of your normal repetoire! Well done Haverhill!! I wish I could get this in CT I'm only one state over!!!

3.35/5  rDev -14.8%

A: Solid inch and a half of foam on a hard pour, light to medium copper color, cottony and frothy head - 3.75, S: Tons of soft citrusy hop aromas, I recognize the Centennial hops which add a nice grapefruit aroma, some bubblegum and papaya - 4.25, T: Solid hop bite, quite herbal and earthy, grapefruit pith, slight toasty malt - 3.00, M: Silky and smooth - 3.50, D: All-around a good beer, a pretty standard IPA - 3.00

4.42/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass

Appearance - Pourd a nice golden color with moderate head. Lacing wasn't too sticky but some bubbles did stick around.

Smell - Strong pine and grapefruit notes. Had that smell of a wet hopped beer, not sure if it is.

Taste - Has a good bitter back end, just the way I like it. The pine resin taste is actually refreshing.

Mouthfeel - Moderate carbonation gives this a slight tingle in the mouth.

Drinkability - This is a good everyday IPA. Easy to drink and very tasty.

Would highly recommend this brew....and I love to support my local breweries.

3.33/5  rDev -15.3%

Heard about this one for awhile. Decided to pick it up when I came back east.

Appearance- Deep copper color. Over two inches of foamy, almost tan, head. Lots of carbonation even on a gentle pour.

Smell- Starts with a sharp citrus note. Grapefruit peel. Some floral hops. Then a rich maltiness comes through.

Taste- Pretty mellow up front. Not the citrus blast I expected. Grapefruit. It finishes on a huge bitter blast. It's quite dry. Less malt than expected, although it is there. It's got all the hop bitterness, but not as much hop flavor. It's a touch bland, and yet witheringly bitter.

Mouthfeel- The huge head seems to have thinned this out. Needs more carbonation, frankly. It's just thin. Eh.

Drinkability- Pretty decent. Bitterness prevents a desire for much more.

Eh. It's aptly named. But I'd happily trade the bitterness for more flavor. It seems mellow and meh until it dries out the tongue on a harsh finish.

4.27/5  rDev +8.7%

Pours a pale orange with a 1-finger white chunky head. Some bubbles in the beer, and great clarity. Looks thin and watery (looks are deceiving). Absolutely fantasitc lacing rings on every sip.

Big pine and citric hop aroma. Good luck finding anything else.

Wow. What a great surprise. Kick in the teeth hop flavors here. Deep, resinous pine with some light caramel/burnt sugar fighting through. The finish is bitter, but again, a multi-dimensional hop bitterness, with citric and pine coating your mouth. Just friggin great.

Mouthcoating and lingeringly deliciousness. Enough carbonation to help clear the palate, but not too fast.

Bought a single and will grab a six the next chance I get. Saw this for sale at many places for years, and never pulled the trigger. A recent BA thread had multiple people pitching this. So glad i tried it. You could put down a six pack of these easily.

4.3/5  rDev +9.4%

Consumed 12/16

A: This beer pours a hazy copper color with some sediment that is visible. One finger of white head that leaves wispy lacing.

S: Nose is of citrus and pine hops with a considerable malt backbone.

T: Taste starts with a bit of pine and grassy hops and then quickly moves in to a nice toasted malt flavoring. Also present is a hint of caramel malt sweetness and finishes with a nice balance of floral hops.

M: Medium body, medium carbonation, creamy feel with a sticky finish.

D: Nicely balanced IPA that isn't a hop bomb but not underhopped. Tasty and goes down easy - nocely done with the ABV and worthy of sitting with for an evening.

4.05/5  rDev +3.1%

A: Faded orange with lots of carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass. The head is a little more than a quarter of an inch. The retention could be better but the lacing is excellent. Also there is some sediment in the glass.

S: Very floral smelling with a little bit of soapiness.

T: A good amount of bitterness that is balanced nicely with the sweetness. I would have liked a bit more citrus fruit, but still a nice hoppy ipa

M: Good amount of creaminess and body while still being light

D: This is one that I could enjoy all day and would be happy to have again. It is impressive how hoppy it is for the IBUs and abv. Very enjoyable and sessionable

4.4/5  rDev +12%

I cant much more than whats already been said except for:
This IPA drinks way bigger than 50 IBUs'.
Im a wicked west coast hop head and i'd put this up against some of the best the west could offer.
Mouthfeel was a bit light, but makes it easy to drink alot of it. Aroma could be a bit bigger but none the less and exceptional east coast IPA!

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

Served on-tap in a clear pint glass at Bukowski's Tavern (Boston, MA) for $6.00.

A: Inviting honey-gold with 1/2-finger of off-white head with average retention but impressive lacing down the glass.

S: Big citrus and pine hops assault with some token malt sweetness to keep it from getting out of hand. Grapefruit, orange, floral, and pine notes hit the nose hardest.

T: Those same hops qualities hit the palate just as hard with grapefruit, orange, and pine leading the way. Malt is no contest.

M: A tad thin with not as much of a coating quality as you'd like to see in an IPA.

D: The 5% ABV is a godsend as this is a beer you could spend a good week with to satisfy the most serious hops jones.

4.61/5  rDev +17.3%

This beer, I owe a great deal of gratitude towards. It showed be that IBUs don't mean jack shit in the long run. Clocking in at 50 IBUs, this beer tasted more potent and powerful than some of the 100+ IBU beers I've had. A real eye-opener.

A- Standard IPA, although the coloration is a bit glowing. Nice head, moderate lacing. Scratch that... incredible lacing. Looks like a fire extinguisher set off in my glass.. best lacing I've ever seen.

S- Hops! Bitter, pungent, grapefruit and pine growth hops are screaming at me from the second I started to pour. Very strong.

T- I had a bitter beer face from this one. In a good way... just wasn't expecting it! This beer is a hop blast. Grapefruit hops are in charge, and hit twice as hard as I was expecting. Faint lemony/grassy aromas come through after the initial grapefruit blast. Calling Leatherlips a flavorful IPA is almost doing this beer injustice. Holy shit.

M- Crisp, fair carbonation, my only complaint is I wish this beer had a stronger malt bill. Which is odd... 99% of the time I wish brewers left the malt on the side and focused on the hops. It's like my requests were answered and then souped-up just to mock me.

D- Moderate. I liked this beer. I cannot fathom how it is only 5%. Tasted like a strong 8% to me. Amazing that the brewer could get such amazing power behind his hops. While not my favorite, I was blown away by this beer and can recommend this to anyone looking to see what a well-crafted beer can be.

Not my favorite IPA, and I can't imagine I'd pick this over some Smuttynose IPA.. but I respect this beer. For some of you, I can see how this would be an instant classic. I am so glad I tried this beer.

I cannot get this beer out of my head. I've come back to re-review, bumping taste, mouthfeel, and drinkability. I have bought close to a case of this since the first time I bought this.

It is simply an amazing IPA.. I was put off at first because I've never had one like this. But something in my brain craves this beer. I found myself drawn back to the beer, and I bought more soon after I posted this review.

Truly neck-and-neck with Smuttynose IPA for my favorite IPA. World-class!

Leather Lips IPA from The Tap Brewing Company