SuperShow 69 - The Tap Brewing Company

SuperShow 69
No picture uploaded.

The Tap Brewing Company visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

(Beer added by: Todd on 07-25-2004)
Reviews by cretemixer:
cretemixer

Indiana

4.47/5  rDev +0.7%

1/2 gallon growler

Damn Dann this is one fine beer and one that surely proves you shouldn't judge a book by its cover. Upon pouring, it doesn't look like anything too special; a nice glowing gold with a bit of haze & a pure white head, but certainly not the hop monster that it is.
A floral hop aroma with a definite grapefruit note greet you from the onset. There is no denying the aroma of this beer.
Bracing grapefruit pulp bitterness is most prevelant in the taste. There is a hint of the malt as the beer warms a bit, but it is just a glimpse as it should be, this beer is all about the hops. Never have 69 IBU's tasted so good. I would put this beer up against many that claim 90+ anytime. It's no wonder this beer was the hit of the Hop Head Throwdown and I consider myself very fortunate to have had a chance to sample it.

08-20-2004 02:56:36 | More by cretemixer
carln26

Missouri

4.47/5  rDev +0.7%

Another beer I tried at the Throw Down, but again I didn’t rate it there. One of my favorites at that event. It pours golden, ver, ver light for a hop bomb. There was a great 1 inch head that stuck with the beer as I drank. It developed a fine lace as I sipped. Very light, floral nose. Doesn't over power with the hops, but they do let you know they are there. The floral and citrus of the hops is balanced nicely with the malt. The beer leaves a bite in the middle of the tongue. Nice medium mouth feel. This is one of the most drinkable and unusual hop bombs I’ve ever tried. No surprise the person who developed Rapscallion developed this beer. Nice job Dann!

08-28-2004 22:51:28 | More by carln26
wyllder

4.22/5  rDev -5%

Had this on-tap at Anam Cara during the Hophead Throwdown.

Supershow pours a cloudy, pale golden-amber with a small, pocked white head. As you progress through the glass, Supershow leaves a lot of sticky lacing.

Nose is a cacaphony of citrus hops. Grapefruit and apricot are the most noticeable and let you know that this is unquestionably an IPA.

The first hit on the palate is a rush of citrus-hopped bitterness. It took me several sips before my palate could find anything else in there. After some time, I was able to pick out some malt, struggling valliantly on the midsip, but this brew is all about kick-ass citrus bittering. The aftertaste is, as you've probably guessed, a primarily grapefruit bitterness that sits firmly in the back of the throat, taunting you to take another sip.

Mouthfeel and drinkability are both solid, though my palate was reeling too much from the hop assault to focus much on these aspects.

I personally would have preferred more balance, but I'll be damned if I didn't enjoy every palate numbing sip of this stuff. Overall, this was my favorite beer of the day, and probably the reason I had such a hard time tasting anything that came after it.

Wyll-

07-25-2004 15:26:45 | More by wyllder
WanderingFool

4.33/5  rDev -2.5%

I heard quite a few complements about this beer on BA so I had to head to Haverhill and check it out for myself.

The beer is a slightly hazy golden yellow color with a few streams of bubbles floating inside. A thick creamy white head forms on the surface. It slowly dissolves to a thick sheet on the beer.

An strong hoppy aroma of pine and grapefruit citrus greets you before each sip. The medium to full bodied beer is very smooth. Strong hoppy flavors full of citrus, pine and a hint of dry malt dominate each sip. It finishes with a bittersweet aftertaste.

This is a hopheads delight. It reminded me of a 120 minute IPA, but was as thick and didn't have all the alcohol to kick your butt. I wish I could buy bottles of this stuff!

07-31-2004 23:04:30 | More by WanderingFool
WesWes

4.22/5  rDev -5%

The beer pours a hazy pale gold color with a thick frothy white head that fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a nice pale malt scent surrounded by a very pleasant floral hop aroma. The taste is outstanding. It is very bitter on top of a pale malt core. The hops create a very tastey, yet bitter aftertaste. This beer is full of hops. The mouthfeel is good. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a damn fine American IPA. It has excellent hop characteristics.

09-18-2004 23:28:31 | More by WesWes
taez555

4.43/5  rDev -0.2%

Had this beer on tap at Anam Cara.

First off, I could smell the hops from this beer from 2 feet away. As soon as the bartender put it down you could smell it. Amazing.

It poured a fluffy round white head with a clear yellow body.

The nose, again, was simply beautiful. Sharp citrus peel with a slight round citrus hop smell.

It’s medium bodied with some slight caramel notes and an overpowering citrus hop taste and bitterness. That’s really the whole story here. Citrus, grapefruit, a little piney, and very sharp hops. It ends about the same way, bitter and hoppy. This is a serious palette killer.

I hate calling this beer a one trick pony, but damn, this pony knows its one trick and does it amazingly well. This is a perfect, in your face, hop experience. Beautifully balanced and very drinkable, even for such an overpoweringly hoppy beer. Another great beer from Dann.

08-07-2004 07:53:04 | More by taez555
mschofield

4.2/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours a peachy amber, topped with a one finger white head, leaves thin webs of lacing. At first I thought it was slightly hazy, but I think it was just the way it refracted light after awhile it looked clear.
Nice hoppy aroma, wood citrus, tea and grapefruit.
Citrus taste, very hop forward, nicely bitter, wood, toast, white grapefruit, lemon zest, tea.
Medium bodied with good drinkability

11-03-2004 00:29:02 | More by mschofield
waughbrew

4.45/5  rDev +0.2%

Pee yellow with a thin white head with intense lacing. Aroma is not as potent as expected, but still a good amount of fresh fruity hops and biscuity malt. The flavor is complex in the hop juiciness that is primarily lemon, with peaches, pears, and faint grapefruit, with a good zesty spice. The true beauty of this beer, however, is the way the sweetness starts in the flavor like subtle candy and it slowly fades away into the big cotton-mouth dryness, leaving only the pleasant flavors of hops on your tongue. The thin body is pulled off well, with the carbonation only protruding a bit and with a hint of creaminess. The yeast character seems lacking, but that is expected for the style. Super easy to drink.

Very impressive. I often make single-malt IPAs at home, so I was psyched to see this commercial one. I wish I could say that the ones I make at home were this spectacular.

07-29-2004 13:39:06 | More by waughbrew
AllThingsNinja

4.8/5  rDev +8.1%

With an intense citrus aroma, with dome defined orange notes, this brew grabbed my attention. It's a bright and pale golden ale that was poured with little wispy head. It looked too light and delicate to pack much of a wallop. I was wrong. The interplay of intense pine and citrus notes with an underlying creamy sweetness was quite interesting. The subtle balance kept the bitter beer face at bay. The dry pine finish almost seemed woody, and filled my head with visions of antique wooden canoes. Visions! This was my first beer at the Hop Head Throwdown and one of the more memorable. Hopefully Dann keeps the brew around, as it is far superior to the Leatherlips.

07-25-2004 11:06:15 | More by AllThingsNinja
PatandDavid

4.63/5  rDev +4.3%

Wow, two fives from me...but this beer deserves them. I had four of these during the Hophead Throwdown, and have since had it again at the Tap proper. First thing you notice about this one is the color! Clear golden yellow, ha! I loved that, and thought it was about the most original thing I have seen in a beer in years. Fresh when served at AC, when I first started imbibing, the foam left a 'milk moustache' on me. Pleasant hop aroma. I enjoyed the mouthfeel, thought the carbonation was spot on, it was smooth and easy to drink. 6.9% though...and I had 4?? Very good, Dann should be proud. I have heard comments from others that this wasn't as balanced as it could have been...I will say the malt is a bit fleeting, but I still found it very very good.

08-13-2004 12:32:16 | More by PatandDavid
BeerResearcher

4.55/5  rDev +2.5%

On tap at Anam Cara Hop Throwdown.
First, you have to appreciate the golden Pilsner-like body and snow-white head of this unique Single Malt IPA.
A nice perfumy citrus peel aroma rises out of the glass. A smell of fresh bread is noticed in the background, and just a hint of spruce.
The malt body is more substantial than it appears. Again, fresh bread comes to mind, as does the taste of caramel and a hint of herbs.
A sweet grapefruit bite along with a dash of orange zest make for pleasant and highly drinkable bitterness.
The malty sweetness and potent, though mellow tartness are in a balanced harmony.
Dann Paquette's rise in the brewing scene is largely due to his acute sense of what beer lovers’ want and his ability to deliver a high quality, tasty, and very drinkable personalized version of those conceptions. This SS 69 is another near perfect example of how Dann connects to his appreciative consumers.

07-25-2004 16:54:53 | More by BeerResearcher
UncleJimbo

4.43/5  rDev -0.2%

Sampled on tap at Anam Cara and at The Tap.

This IPA poured an ever so slightly hazy golden color (seemed to clear up as it warmed) with creamy, white foam that clung a bit. The smell was a very nice, strong floral hops aroma with good malt as well. The taste was very hoppy! Some floral hops flavors as well as bitter hoppiness and a puckering hoppy finish. Decent amount of malt, but the hops win. The mouthfeel was smooth with medium body and medium carbonation. The single malt used in the brewing imparted a lighter than typical maltiness for an IPA. This was a nice, very hoppy IPA.

07-28-2004 05:29:55 | More by UncleJimbo
Truh

New Hampshire

4.13/5  rDev -7%

Saw C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gates with this one on 8/14/2004. Lovely, stemmed goblet pour during fish and chips at Anam Cara.

Hazy, deep straw to light ochre hue. Plumy, lacing head, like a pillow you never want to lift your weary skull from. The bouquet hit me over the head: biting hops, with a chipotle chili heat that was completely unexpected, and somewhat acidic. On taste, the hops crashed through the bottom of my mouth, followed by a chewy, ginger sting. Really, the heat was again something I wasn’t prepared for, but genuinely enjoyed. This one is wildly original, an adventure to consume, and the exotic lacing contributed to what I would describe as a true party in the mouth.

Having originally sampled this at the HopHead Throwdown, I was taken aback by the aforementioned heat in the ale. I certainly didn’t notice this at the Throwdown, and that was the first thing I tried, so my palate wasn’t shot at that point. Would love to know what created this distinctive taste.

08-17-2004 20:58:01 | More by Truh
bigbeerdrinka

Germany

4.83/5  rDev +8.8%

On Tap at Anam Cara for Hophead throwdown.

Pours a very pale golden yellow with a nice light white head. This beer looks more like a pilsner than an IPA but after talking to Dan at the tap I learned they only used one malt in this beer so maybe that has something to do with it. Aromas are of citrus and piney hops, along with some resiny aromas and a little bread. For taste this beer packs a punch. Citrusy and resinousy hops truly dominate the flavor profile. Malts make their way in showing off some dry biscuit flavors but the true beauty to this beer is in its finish. This beer finishes just super bitter with piney hops showing off what they are made of, leaving in the end an incredible hop bitter bite to it. Damn this is tasty. As for mouthfeel, this beer is relatively light bodied, and has a great crisp carbonation. Though this beer is super bitter, it still keeps a great drinkability because of its great flavor profile. This beer alone made the hophead throwdown great. Another great beer by Dan at the Tap..

07-25-2004 03:52:12 | More by bigbeerdrinka
feloniousmonk

4.38/5  rDev -1.4%

Clear, golden color, like a pear, or golden delicious apple, with a big, fluffy layer of snow-white foam.
Aromatics stand up and display their powers from opening the vessel, and I almost approach the nose with trepidation. Here goes...ahhh! There's that piney, fierce, alarmingly citric feel, but it's still remarkably smooth, not a bit too forward. More tropical fruit comes forth on further sniffs, pineapple, banana, sweet and bitter at once.
Big bitterness blasts upon the palate, flings it's fruity tendrils all along the mouth, juicy, then ultimately dry, with the bold hoppiness still blazes. Malt is a bit lean, but therein lies the whole appeal of this sort of affair, for it is a dangerous hop bomb, and the more I drink it, the more I like it. The fruits that unfold appeal to me, as well, first pineapple, then pear, apple, a litle lemon and grapefruit. Lush and very tasty at play in the mouth, never quitting with this intense hoppy buzz.
Damned nice beer, I've got to say.
Impressive.