Hijack - Infamous Brewing Company

Cream Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: Riccymon on 06-23-2013

to view more.
Ratings: 41 | Reviews: 5

One of my homebrews a while back turned out very much like this. It was thin and watery with a diluted sugary taste. I've always considered it one of my worst batches ever. But now my eyes have been opened! If someone ever says to me "Dude, what the hell is wrong with this beer?", no longer do I have to hang my head in shame and apologize. My answer will simply be "It's a hijack clone. That's what it's supposed to taste like. Now drink up, bitch!".

3.69/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

12 oz. can poured into nonic
(no born-on date)

L: yellow, slight cloudiness but can see through it ... perhaps a hint of gold (orange) in it; weak 1/4-inch head of foam that dissipates quickly; keeps a decent collar of foam but there's almost no carbonation running up the column

S: lemon, grain, sour grain ... just a hint of sweet light malt but the lemon and grain overpowers it all; sour grain showing more and more ... hints of creamed corn

T: sweet biscuit/bread malt with a hint of pepper spice ... tons of sweetness; grain; taste is much sweeter than the smell ... there's no sour here

F: quite solid for a brew that looks half flat ... tons of carbonation, and a solid weight ... not watery; super drinkable

O: as i've worked through a six-pack, this one is growing on me. some of the new cream ales are almost sickly sweet and taste only like creamed corn -- they aren't undrinkable, but this seems to have just a pinch of some german/noble hops that is giving just a teeny spicy/black-pepper hop bite to help it balance. not a bad brew at all.

3.81/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Pours out with a clear golden color capped by an impressive head; looks like a pilsener and delivers nice lacing action

Smell: Bready with a hint of lemon and vanilla

Taste: Opens bready, with a touch of lemon building alongside the vanilla cream; the finish is slightly sweet

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with moderate carbonation

Overall: Refreshingly quaffable; a nice summer beer

Thanks, duff247, for the opportunity

3.9/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: a lot of sud action going on here, well carbonated. Pale yellow in color, semitranslucent, white head holding steady at 1/4" with decent amount of lacing being left behind.

S: very clean, mostly pilsner malt.

T: equally as clean, i can only notice the malty backbone and some corn notes.

M: medium bodied while being light, crispy and easy drinking. It dries your palate to some extent, slightly creamy but i'd say this is where it falls short in the category.

O: Idon't have much experience with cream ales (this would probably be my second one), but i couldn't detect any imperfections flavorwise. Everything seems to be well achieved for the style although it claims to be an "untraditional cream ale" would have liked it to be a bit more creamy though. Not as dry on the palate, but more fuller as you drink it.

3.4/5  rDev -0.3%

Had on tap at Alamo Drafthouse Lake Creek. This was the first time I've seen Infamous on a menu in Austin. Hijack was listed in their printed menu, though, so it looks to be a standard offering. Served in a pint glass: fairly clear, lawnmower-yellow color with a small amount of head.

The nose is a little subdued. I smell a little lemony citrus coming through, but mostly the kind of grainy aroma I associate with pilsners. The latter observation soon became a theme for Hijack--it reminds me of a pilsner as much of a cream ale. I just drank Genny Cream Ale yesterday, so I'm looking for the same sweetness in Hijack but not finding it. Instead, bready/grainy flavors combined with a lemony hop presence. I also get some fruity notes that reminded me of Sam Adams Summer Ale (grains of paradise?). On the whole, maybe not that different from Sixpoint's Sweet Action.

Well-carbonated and light-bodied with a drying finish. This beer was pretty refreshing and paired well with pork tacos. Although I'd hesitate to classify it as a cream ale, I did enjoy drinking Hijack, and I'd order it again over other summer-friendly Texas options like Saint Arnold's Fancy Lawnmower or Real Ale Fireman's 4.

to view more.