Hue Beer - Hue Brewery LTD

poor

Hue Brewery LTD visit their website
Viet Nam

American Adjunct Lager |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 12-23-2002)

1.1/5  rDev -54.5%

Another crappy Vietnamese beer. This was no better than the "33". Unappealing golden color with alka-seltzer fizzyness. No real aroma. Horrid flavor that manages to produce a passable hops presence here and there, but it's not worth wading through the rest of the beer for it.

1.13/5  rDev -53.3%

I thought it would be cool to try a beer from Vietnam. I wish I could rethink that decision. Think about the pee that incubates in the bottom of a construction site urinal after two weeks and you have Hue Beer. As my friend Fred Savage would say, I definitely payed for the import. Piss-ass beer.

1.25/5  rDev -48.3%

Beer is pale straw color with spittley white line of "head resting on top. No lacing. Nose is Cheerios, fresh honey, and sour milk...not appealing.

Very watery, just corn, rice, sickly sweet kinda taste. Stingy carbonation in thin body. This beer is point-blank ungood. Ironically, though this comes from halfway around the world it is like a half-assed attempt at the cheapest beer at your corner store. Drainpoored

1.25/5  rDev -48.3%

Aroma: Wet rotting wood with the accompanying moldy smells. I'm afraid to taste it.
Appearance: Painfully clear watery yellow with a fair fluffy white head that settled to a thin coat pretty quickly.
Flavor: Oh God, call the paramedics, I tasted it. That wet wood smell is amplified about 20 times in the taste. One sip and it is sink-bound. Some mild beer tastes are present as well, some rice or corn (have trouble telling between them) and some mild hay flavor as well.
Mouthfeel: Thin.
Overall Impression: Ok, to be fair, this traveled a heck of a long way to find me, and I'm sure it sat waiting patiently for me for at least a couple years in the store before I found it. Maybe I could drink this fresh, but I'm pretty sure I'll never know.
Rancid!

1.25/5  rDev -48.3%

Thought I would try out a Vietnam beer seeing that I only paid 99 cents for a bottle.

I have never seen a beer so light and clear in color. Thin white foam on top. The biggest problem is that there is some small and almost fuzzy looking things floating around in the beer. Yeesh!

Smells of adjuncts. Corn sweetness with even just a little hint of citrus. Light and cheap grain smelling.

Some promise to start, but then drops off quickly and turns downright offensive. Starts out with corn sweetness, turns to nothingness and then finishes with an extremely bitter, yet bland taste. Almost aspartame aftertaste.

Thin, watery and flat.

This really is a bad beer and should be avoided at all costs. Hopefully this isn't the best Vietnam has to offer.

1.31/5  rDev -45.9%

I'd never heard of Hue beer before tonight when I saw it on the menu at a local Vietnamese restaurant. I remember images of the Tet Offensive in the Vietnamese war and the street battles that occurred in Hue. My cautious side said to order something that I already knew was good, but my adventurous side got the better of me, so Hue it was.

Oh, wow! Not so good. This import, I swear, must be one of Vietnam's ways of getting back at us for what happened in Hue. However, I can't say that I'm sorry that I ordered it since it's provided me with a new baseline for judging awful.

The initial pour from the heavy bottle into the glass looked adequate — not promising, but adequate. It was a very light but vivid yellow with a thin, but average amount of foam. Bringing it up to my mouth, however, the smell of sour, yeasty, and slightly decaying skunk drifted into my nostrils. I had to, first, sit it down, shake my head, then work up to actually tasting it.

Once past the foul odor, the taste was somewhat better, but only in comparison to the offensive aroma. The taste was a weak, flat and incongruous mixture of clashing flavors that rapidly decayed into a slight metallic aftertaste. Admittedly, there was a hint of actual beer flavor mixed in with what I can best describe as a fermented concoction of boiled rice and corn strained with a dirty sock into a bucket of composted grass clippings. Holding my breath while drinking it provided me with the several attempts necessary to empty about half the glass before giving up.

I'm rarely unable to finish a beer, but this was one of those times. Although some here have given it an average ranking, I think that mostly provides evidence that different people experience tastes in vastly different ways, 'cause I honestly can't imagine anyone liking this stuff.

1.38/5  rDev -43%

Pours a very clear light yellow and looks very watery. Smell is sourish malt and pretty unappealing. Taste is very bland and slightly malty with some definite off flavors of some kind. Bitterness that doesn't seem like it should be there almost...Very bad pale lager.

1.58/5  rDev -34.7%

Pours a white, two finger head that vanishes quickly to a ring leaving some lace. Clear, very pale amber color. Light carbonation and very light bodied. Nose is faintly hoppy and grassy. Starts slightly hoppy and skunky, wierd dry cottony finish. Worse than 33 Export from Da Nang. Gift, 12oz bottle from Vintage Cellar Blacksburg, Va.

1.8/5  rDev -25.6%

bb Feb 26 2006. Liltle head, clear pale golden beerc. Nose is very much rice, some malts and yiny litle fruityness but hard to detect any fine flavour. As taste is very empty too, almost carbonated water with litle maltyness and ricetaste. Is there any hops used in this brew? Can't find any bitterness at all not even in the aftertaste; if that's there. No mouthfeel other then carbonated water and rather drink plain water.

1.9/5  rDev -21.5%

Pours a clear pale straw color with a bright white head that quickly falls into a thin lace. Nose is detectable the moment you begin to pour with notes of adjunct grains and cooked corn. The beer is so light in body that I wouldn’t have known I was drinking anything were it not for the overly sweet taste of corn syrup followed by dry grain husks. I’ll pass on another one of these.

1.98/5  rDev -18.2%

straw coloured, a little foaming white head. Aroma beery-malt, not impressive. Taste is fizzily carbonated beer, fairly basic. Not worth travelling to Nam for, good thing their numbers in Montreal justify bringing bottles here. Almost undrinkable, and below average mouthfeel.

Poured a yellow urine color with no head. Terrible, stay away. It tasted like an overgrown Natural Light. Smelled of grain, some other things and the mouthfeel was just malty, grain and water. It was really as bad or worse than American macros. Stay away.

2.05/5  rDev -15.3%

A- Pours a golden yellow with a pretty large head. Head dissapates quickly but is better than average for AAL
S- Aroma is a very faint grain aromatic.
T- Very sweet. A bit of faint corn, rice, and just a hint of vinegar. The flavors didn't mesh well and the sweetness didn't help.
M- thin, undercarbed.
D- This beer is a below average beer. Even for AAL's. Just not one I can get into.

2.05/5  rDev -15.3%

This is the only beer I've ever had from Vietnam.... and if this is a true example of what they brew, then it'll probably be my last. I picked it up for the sheer novelty of a Vietnamese beer at a Chinese restaurant, and even the novelty was barely worth the beer.

This one pours a very, very thin yellow, almost clear with a surprising amount of head (maybe an inch and a half) that fell rapidly. The aroma smelled of rice, or maybe corn, with little else. Malts were barely detectable.

The taste was about the same, very thin, with abundant carbonation. The malts were again detectable, but this one really could have benefited from some more (any?) hops. It was really a tad overcarbonated for my taste, but given it's overall lack of flavour, you could probably drink a number of these without blinking. Overall a very bland and uncomplicated beer... almost like drinking a light light beer. If you're out for an Asian dinner on the town, go with a Tsingtao. Not amazing, but better than this. Also... the lack of a "best by" date never reassures.

2.08/5  rDev -14%

Hue is a pale gold hue. It contains larger and more numerous particles than I'm comfortable with, but at least there are no truly scary chunks. None of that sissified filtering for Vietnamese brewers, no siree. The cap is actually a thing of beauty. It's blindingly bright white, possesses a crazily bubbled upper surface, lasts for an impressively long time and deposits a fair bit of spackle-like lace. Beer: thumbs way down. Head: thumbs way up.

The beer smells exactly like a product brewed by any one of the Big Three. Stale grain mixed with musky, cheap perfumy hops. Like trying to cover up body odor instead of removing it. I'm amazed to see that the brewery is located by the Perfume River in Hue City. Coincidence? The aroma isn't nose-wrinklingly bad, but it's nothing to celebrate, believe me.

Hue has more flavor than an American macro lager, I'll give it that. Trouble is, it doesn't taste any better. It's also sweeter than expected and tastes a little like a low-ABV malt liquor. The flavor is wall-to-wall creamed corn mixed with rotting flower petals and stainless steel . A different take on the usual macro lager formula that wasn't worth taking.

If I can divorce the flavor from the mouthfeel (no easy task), I can admit that the latter isn't half bad. It's more full than expected, but is still only light-medium. That, of course, means it's an improvement on the usual light-watery. A few more lively bubbles would help what is a somewhat lackluster mouth presence.

Hue Beer is my second beer from Vietnam and is the clear loser to Halida; no great shakes itself. I'm not even sure if I'd order a bottle to accompany one of my favorite dishes at my local A Dong Restaurant (doesn't matter since they only stock Export 33). Why is it that Vietnamese cuisine is so wonderful while Vietnamese beer is so lousy?

2.1/5  rDev -13.2%

From the Perfume River in Vietnam (no really, that's what the label says), on to the beer:

Poured into a mug, it's a clear yellow color with a soda-like head. The smell is somewhat astringent in grain, with a cooked corn smell. This flavors in the beer don't meld together well for me. There's more cooked corn, a mild astingency, and a straightforward bitterness that battle each other for supremecy. Even at ice cold, it took some work for me to stomach this beer. Round off the edges and we might have something more tolerable.

2.1/5  rDev -13.2%

This beer is a typical and rather boring lager. It it like a euromacrobrew.
The beer pours a very pale yellow with a slight head that rapidly disappears. There is a hint of hop, but the beer is "thin" and doesn't have much to write about.

The only place this stuff tastes good is probably in Hue where it's hot as hell and you'll drink anything.

2.19/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Had this at a bar in Hue. Bottle was marked 'export' as well. From notes.

A - Poured gold and bright with good carbonation. One finger of white head was gone fast and left no lace or retention.

S - Really mild. Honey and grain.

T - Chemically corn. Grain and honey as well. Flavour began quite offensive with that cleaning product thing going on. Mellowed out further down the road with more honey and grain.

M - At first this was a little hard to get down but it became a little easier furthern on. Good carbonation, lightish body and a little dryness after a heavy adjunct sweetness.

O/D - Not something I'd want too much of. That chemical note was really offputting, but it was smoother as it went on. Not one of Vietnam's finest, but definitely not its worst.

2.2/5  rDev -9.1%

12 oz., foil capped bottle. Pours a very pale gold color. Almost no color at all. White rocky head holds for a minute or so, then fades away. A few streaming bubbles coming from the bottom.

Very pale, grainy aroma. A bit of cooked corn. Nothing in the way of hops in the nose.

Very pale flavored. a bit sweet. Clean, with not much character at all. A bit of an odd, earthy finish.

Light body, with a good amount of carbonation. Very weak.

2.2/5  rDev -9.1%

In about month I will be in Vietnam and plan on trying some of their local beers. Thank goodness I tried this one before I left.

The beer pours yellow, like most beer, but what is that odd little stuff floating around in there?

I really didn't think that anything would beat out Cold Spring Brewery brands for the bottom of the barrel, but Hue succeeded.

Hue Beer from Hue Brewery LTD