Hue Beer - Hue Brewery LTD

poor

Hue Brewery LTD visit their website
Viet Nam

American Adjunct Lager |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 12-23-2002)
Gila

1.31/5  rDev -45.9%

I'd never heard of Hue beer before tonight when I saw it on the menu at a local Vietnamese restaurant. I remember images of the Tet Offensive in the Vietnamese war and the street battles that occurred in Hue. My cautious side said to order something that I already knew was good, but my adventurous side got the better of me, so Hue it was.

Oh, wow! Not so good. This import, I swear, must be one of Vietnam's ways of getting back at us for what happened in Hue. However, I can't say that I'm sorry that I ordered it since it's provided me with a new baseline for judging awful.

The initial pour from the heavy bottle into the glass looked adequate — not promising, but adequate. It was a very light but vivid yellow with a thin, but average amount of foam. Bringing it up to my mouth, however, the smell of sour, yeasty, and slightly decaying skunk drifted into my nostrils. I had to, first, sit it down, shake my head, then work up to actually tasting it.

Once past the foul odor, the taste was somewhat better, but only in comparison to the offensive aroma. The taste was a weak, flat and incongruous mixture of clashing flavors that rapidly decayed into a slight metallic aftertaste. Admittedly, there was a hint of actual beer flavor mixed in with what I can best describe as a fermented concoction of boiled rice and corn strained with a dirty sock into a bucket of composted grass clippings. Holding my breath while drinking it provided me with the several attempts necessary to empty about half the glass before giving up.

I'm rarely unable to finish a beer, but this was one of those times. Although some here have given it an average ranking, I think that mostly provides evidence that different people experience tastes in vastly different ways, 'cause I honestly can't imagine anyone liking this stuff.

02-23-2013 06:57:16 | More by Gila
flyingpig

United Kingdom (Scotland)

2.94/5  rDev +21.5%

Bottle (£1.39 from Chung Yong Supermarket, Glasgow):
Golden with a 0.5cm white head that has slightly foamy texture. The beer is pretty clear with a lot of bubbles rising to the surface. The head also stays pretty well with no visible reduction.

Light with some corn and grassy hops, there is a bit of bread and some basic lager adjuncts coming through. There was also some light lager malts as well with a touch of skunk.

Light hops, a grassy flavour with some bread and light lager malts. There is some very light citrus and a touch of grain. As expected this one was a basic lager taste.

Light bodied with moderate carbonation and a very slightly gassy feel and is refreshing at least.

Okay for what it was, a mass-produced and very cheap (at least in Vietnam anyway) pale lager that hits the spot, particularly in a hotter climate. It's by no means great but it is worth a try more for the novelty of trying a Vietnamese beer when you get the chance.

02-04-2013 09:52:21 | More by flyingpig

Louisiana

06-01-2012 20:34:19 | More by sd123
thegodfather1076

3.53/5  rDev +45.9%

This beer was served out of a 12oz. bottle dispensed into a glass....

Presentation - Very eye catching label with OK artwork. Has a gold foil wrap around neck and cap. Really looks like it came from the Orient.

Appearance - Pours out a crystal clear golden yellow with a 1 finger fizzy white foam head. Moderate carbonation rising from the glass.

Smell - Smells of earthy grassy hops mixed with bread-like corn-like malt aroma. Almost has a faint white wine aroma.

Taste - Tastes of rice malt flavor with hints or corn malt flavor. Slight hop bitterness mixed with a faint white wine flavor on the back end.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied despite medium carbonation. Very light, crisp, and smooth.

Drinkability - Refreshing with a light feel that doesn't fill you up. Drinkable on a hot day

My first time having this and first time having anything brewed in Vietnam. A very unique taste unlike anything I have ever had. Very refreshing and I enjoyed it much more than I expected. Now I have a go to beer if I ever find myself in Vietnam or more likely at a Vietnamese eatery.

04-29-2012 22:16:34 | More by thegodfather1076
rangerred

Tennessee

2.73/5  rDev +12.8%

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a very pale yellow with a tiny fizzy head.

Smells of sweet grain along with a little bit of lemon. Somewhat promising

The taste starts off decent with some sweet bready grain typical of cheap Euro lagers. This doesn't last long however, as a harsh bitterness takes hold. The grain fades away into nothing but bitterness. The mouthfeel is sticky but dry at the same time. Not a very pleasant finish.

Overall this beer wasn't all that enjoyable. I could drink it again but probably wouldn't.

03-05-2012 22:58:11 | More by rangerred

02-10-2012 19:40:11 | More by oldp0rt
jerryjeff

Tennessee

2.5/5  rDev +3.3%

Aroma
Very light grassy scent that is pretty vibrant, think there are some adjuncts there somewhere. Slight sweetish malt, this really smells like a BMC to me.

Mouthfeel
Medium/higher end of carbonation some slight bitterness. Kind of watery, I think the carbonation is meant to attempt to try to hide some of this but doesn't do that well

Appearance
Pale straw in a goblet glass. Poured to slight head that left quickly although maybe some slight lacing with the little that's there

Taste
Some bitterness with a sweetish undercurrent that isn't very pleasant. It really tastes a bit like Stag to me, although I like Stag more.

Drinkability
Fairly, it's meant to be a drink a bunch/sessionable beer but there's a taste in there I don't care for much that's kind of sickish sweet

Overall
average if I'm comparing to american pilsner with the added expense of purchasing this it's definitely not worth a premium.

01-18-2012 00:58:11 | More by jerryjeff
andrewj17

12-22-2011 21:52:30 | More by andrewj17
valkyre65

12-13-2011 18:43:19 | More by valkyre65
mrfrancis

Kentucky

2.73/5  rDev +12.8%

A: Poured a clear yellow with a thin, fizzy white
mousse that hardly left any lacing at all. Looked like a standard commercial lager. Nothing special.

S: Very faint aromas of grassy, citrusy hops and bready malt. Very generic and sterile, but not as offensive as some beers of this style.

T: Initially malty and dry with notes of biscuits, crackers, rice paper, straw, grass, and lemon. The finish was quick and quenching with grassy hop notes and a bit of a sweet, bready flavor. I did not detect the corn adjunct notes that many other reviewers found.

M: Light-to-medium bodied and dry, but surprisingly lacking the crispness of many pale lagers. Kind of flabby for a beer of this style.

O: I can't see myself having this beer again.

11-05-2011 17:03:49 | More by mrfrancis
spinrsx

Ontario (Canada)

355ml Bottle

Appearance - Clear gold/yellow colour with an average size fizzy white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is a fair/good amount of lacing. The head lasted for around 4 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Grains, malts, corn, light hops

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an average amount of carbonation. I can taste grains mixed with malts and some cooked corn. It finishes with a grainy and malty aftertaste with a very small amount of hop bitterness.

Overall – Well, it was better than I thought it was going to be. The bottle label looks like something that was homemade on a cheap printer. There is nothing offensive about this beers taste but it is also unremarkable.

05-06-2011 19:14:51 | More by spinrsx
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

3.53/5  rDev +45.9%

How could I not? Sucker for the label art. From Vietnam via Texas. 12oz into pint glass with some onion rings. Gold foil indicates that this is a 'fancy' beer.

A- Crystal clear yellow pour, pale pale pale, with a surprisingly big and attractive head. Sticky foam, snow-white in color.

S- Pears. Very faint.

T- Mild pear fruitiness.. some honeysuckle... some wishy washy grains. Not too many flavors, but they're all light and crisp.

M- Adequate carbonation, crisp on the tongue. Impossibly light body..

O- Moderately tasty, easy to drink, refreshing. Wouldn't mind plowing through a handful of these on a hot day. Better than expected.

04-12-2011 02:11:35 | More by ShogoKawada
jera1350

1.25/5  rDev -48.3%

Thought I would try out a Vietnam beer seeing that I only paid 99 cents for a bottle.

I have never seen a beer so light and clear in color. Thin white foam on top. The biggest problem is that there is some small and almost fuzzy looking things floating around in the beer. Yeesh!

Smells of adjuncts. Corn sweetness with even just a little hint of citrus. Light and cheap grain smelling.

Some promise to start, but then drops off quickly and turns downright offensive. Starts out with corn sweetness, turns to nothingness and then finishes with an extremely bitter, yet bland taste. Almost aspartame aftertaste.

Thin, watery and flat.

This really is a bad beer and should be avoided at all costs. Hopefully this isn't the best Vietnam has to offer.

03-29-2011 00:05:10 | More by jera1350
fizzy

2.2/5  rDev -9.1%

In about month I will be in Vietnam and plan on trying some of their local beers. Thank goodness I tried this one before I left.

The beer pours yellow, like most beer, but what is that odd little stuff floating around in there?

I really didn't think that anything would beat out Cold Spring Brewery brands for the bottom of the barrel, but Hue succeeded.

12-23-2010 23:12:03 | More by fizzy
secondtooth

Indiana

2.8/5  rDev +15.7%

Didn't expect much from this one, being shipped from thousands of miles away and likely sitting in a warehouse somewhere for who knows how long. This golden lager pours with large lacing and bits of scary sediment. The nose is yeasty and corny. Nonetheless, the taste is fairly crisp, with a definite adjunct character, and a slightly hoppy zing. Better than expected, but not one to pursue, either.

12-09-2010 00:08:39 | More by secondtooth
HiLLWiLLiam

Mississippi

1.13/5  rDev -53.3%

I thought it would be cool to try a beer from Vietnam. I wish I could rethink that decision. Think about the pee that incubates in the bottom of a construction site urinal after two weeks and you have Hue Beer. As my friend Fred Savage would say, I definitely payed for the import. Piss-ass beer.

11-27-2010 02:28:23 | More by HiLLWiLLiam
jsprain1

2.05/5  rDev -15.3%

A- Pours a golden yellow with a pretty large head. Head dissapates quickly but is better than average for AAL
S- Aroma is a very faint grain aromatic.
T- Very sweet. A bit of faint corn, rice, and just a hint of vinegar. The flavors didn't mesh well and the sweetness didn't help.
M- thin, undercarbed.
D- This beer is a below average beer. Even for AAL's. Just not one I can get into.

08-05-2010 07:02:11 | More by jsprain1
adamette

2.45/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from the 12 oz. bottle that I bought as a single at Heinen's in Willoughby Hills, Ohio a few weeks ago into my DFH pint glass.

A Translucent light straw yellow body under an initially generous 3 inch meringue like head but that dissipated down to a single layer of bubbles. The look is very close to water but the nice head that leaves o.k. lacing makes it about average overall. 3.0

S Distant corn malt, some barley, no hops detected by my nose. 2.0

T Really thin, bad Adjunct lager style that is very close to water. It is difficult to believe that this beer has less taste than BMC but I think that it does. 2.0

M Thin like water, not impressed. 2.0

D Very good but I will not test that quality any time soon. 4.0

Notes: My first Vietnamese beer is a big disappointment.

10-02-2009 02:13:37 | More by adamette