Ed's I.P.A. - Flat Branch Pub & Brewery

No picture uploaded.
good

Flat Branch Pub & Brewery visit their website
Missouri, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  ABV ?

This true English I.P.A. is made with premium malt, three English hop varieties, and a special British yeast culture. Fruity aromas mix with the floral hops to greet your nose as you raise a pint of this brew. The bitterness is huge, yet it is crisp, dry, and clean. This beer is named for our long time patron, Ed Richardson. This beer was his favorite.

(Beer added by: zeff80 on 05-23-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Erdinger2003

Iowa

2.18/5  rDev -36.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Poured from tap at the brewery. Started with an 1/8 inch head that fell into a thin layer. The body confirms what the head shows, very light body.

Nice caramel color that turns into golden color at the edges of the glass. Not hazy at all. Lacing shows the original head and 3 to 4 lacing rings down the glass.

Smell is imperceptible, no matter how close I get to the glass.

Taste is malty with a caramel sweetness that has a stale popcorn after taste. Slight hop flavor, nearly imperceptible. British ale yeast flavors are apparent.

Very light body which goes down easy.

Overall it's kind of like drinking an old Sierra Nevada, whose hop flavor is taking a background to the heave malts.

05-28-2013 21:01:03 | More by Erdinger2003
tempest

2.4/5  rDev -30.2%

On-tap at the brewpub. Appeared clear amber in my pint glass. Unfortunately, that's as good as it got. The aroma was a mix of cheddar cheer and fake butter. That buttery diacetyl comes through in the flavor and really dominates more than it should in any decent English ale. There's a finishing peppery hop note, but that's not enough to redeem this mess of a beer. Avoid.

10-31-2009 06:25:47 | More by tempest
hopstradamus

Kansas

2.9/5  rDev -15.7%

A. Lighter in color than their Pale Ale, it has good carbonation which leaves behind beautiful lacing on the glass.

S. I thought their Pale Ale was more hop forward than the IPA. The floral hop aroma is there, just not obvious.

T. Ed obviously isn't much of an IPA man. I would not want this beer named after me. It's dry and a little bitter but not what I expected.

M. This beer was a little chewy, and had carbonation that lasted to the very end.

D. Not offensive, but not memorable.

06-22-2010 17:25:33 | More by hopstradamus
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

3.2/5  rDev -7%

The beer is light orange with a thin white collar. The aroma is a balance of malt and hops. Hops are bit understated in the flavor. A decent beer, and pretty drinkable. That said, I could use some more hop character in both the nose and taste. A sturdy malt body. A more "balanced" example of the style. This was ok.

09-04-2012 01:13:23 | More by Huhzubendah
Bbloom1989

3.28/5  rDev -4.7%

Picked this up on the way home, decided to buy a growler on my way through after realizing I didn't want to wait an hour to eat at their pub portion. Had a huge selection, but decided to give their IPA a shot.

It has an amber hazy color which is met with an off white copper head. Lacing is moderate, but it has an overall underwhelming appearance.

The nose is really floral, with points to less bittering hops... Not really understand what they are shooting for with an IPA. Not a hop bomb by any steach of the imagination. I do think if the style was selected more carefully it would have gotten better ratings for its style. An IPA it is not, a pale ale it is.

The taste is hop forward, but a sweet nutty malt backbone. Excellent profile, but again, for the style it is not correct. I do like this beer despite the average rating.

I did enjoy drinking this, and I think it is a great secession beer. I would order this with dinner over a wheat beer or anything domestic, BUT it would not replace anything like big sky, boulevard, or any other world class craft brew IPA. I really think people would rate this better if it was not classified as an IPA and maybe shown as a pale ale or other ale. Just my two cents.

Serving type: growler

01-16-2011 05:51:39 | More by Bbloom1989
Flatlands

3.39/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Hop heads want their hops! Everyone is judging this beer to bigger IPA's. I felt this beer is a solid beer but it's a light IPA. I enjoyed it with a good hand tossed pizza.
A-Too thin for an IPA, clear
S-Need some more here, not much going on
T-A good mellow pale ale is more the taste here
M-Clean, light
O-This is a good beer. I rated this to the style but I still enjoyed the beer. It's more than a pale ale but not full on IPA. I doesn't overpower a meal which was why I ordered it. If you are going to FB for a meal, this is a good choice to complement your dish.

11-08-2013 03:52:01 | More by Flatlands

3.75/5  rDev +9%

03-04-2014 04:02:00 | More by EF4
Tone

3.98/5  rDev +15.7%

Pours a clear, amber/copper color. 1/5 inch head of white color. Decent retention and decent lacing. Smells of sweet hop and sweet malt. Fits the style of an IPA, but more closely resembles an American IPA. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp with an average carbonation level. There is also a high bitterness associated with this brew. Tastes of hops initially and in the finish with a good, sweet malt background.

07-13-2009 21:51:05 | More by Tone
zeff80

4.1/5  rDev +19.2%

Their website calls it a "true English IPA", although to me it seemed more like an American IPA.

A - Poured a gold and copper color with an off-white, two-finger head that left behind sticky lace.

S - It smelled grassy and hoppy with some malty presence. Also, a fruit aroma.

T - It tasted grassy and hoppy with a biscuity malt flavor. Overal, it had a nice bittersweet kick.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A medium-bodied beer.

D - This was very good, but it still tasted more like an American IPA.

05-23-2008 00:25:17 | More by zeff80
IwuvBEER

4.65/5  rDev +35.2%

Excellent beer in my opinion. I do think it is more like an APA rather than IPA though. As I live close to the brewery I drink the stuff regularly. If you are going to drink this, it is best on tap. I have gotten growlers to bring home and it is good, but not the same as fresh from the tap. I would recommend this beer to anybody. To be honest if anybody is in the Columbia MO area I would highly suggest a trip to Flat Branch. They have a great selection of beers, all of which are good. To add to that the brewery has a great menu and rather enjoyable atmosphere.

03-03-2010 17:34:51 | More by IwuvBEER