Green Chili Beer - Flat Branch Pub & Brewery

Flat Branch Pub & Brewery visit their website
Missouri, United States

Chile Beer |  ABV ?

Beer added by: maxpower on 01-14-2003

This is the chili-heads favorite brew. A mild base beer is spiced up with Anaheim and Serrano peppers. This beer has a wonderful green chili aroma and a touch of heat in the finish. Have it with tomato juice as a “liquid enchilada”.
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews by Dusty278:
1.88/5  rDev -39%

A - A bit of head that lasts half way through the beer, golden in color.

S - Powerful pepper smell, not bad but that's it.

T: You have to like the taste of peppers to like this beer in my opinion. I may some kind of wuss when it comes to peppers, but this does not taste much like a beer in my opinion because of the strong pepper taste.

M - Light, balanced carbonation.

D - I like Flat Branch and most of their beers so there won't be a chance that I spend my money on this beer again, when I have others that I like around.

2.43/5  rDev -21.1%

The beer pours clean, with an enticing smell, and unique taste. However, the clarity and aroma are an abrupt contrast to the flavor of the beer.

Note: This is my only tasting of a chili beer. Please take note, that it could be an entire dislike for the style, rather than the merits of this style of beer.

3.1/5  rDev +0.6%

On-tap at the brewpub. This appears clear and blonde. To keep this simple, which is easy for this brew, this tastes like crisp green bell peppers in a glass. It doesn't taste like hot peppers like other chile beers, just greenhouse bell peppers. There isn't enough malt to balance out the pepper and the pepper isn't terribly tasty. It's worth a try, but not a good session beer.

3.75/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.91/5  rDev +26.9%

While I'm waiting for my beer to warm up, I might as well plug in some reviews I scratched down...

Growler at Pete's RB Spring Gathering. Thanks Dorothy. :P

Slightly unsettling, muggy yellow color. Wisp of pasty white head.

Raw jalapeno nose singled out among a muddled produce section of smells.

Taste is straight up corn tortillas, itchy malt, with just a nip of jalapenos & brighter green Italian peppers lingering on the follow-through.

Spritzy carbonation, doughy, & slightly metallic. Chewy?

Lots of fun. :)

2.75/5  rDev -10.7%

2.53/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I have had some pepper beers before and enjoyed them so I can honestly say I went into drinking this beer with an open mind. I have to say do not judge all pepper beers on this one. The key to a pepper beer is they are best when paired with food.

Appearance: It had a gold body with some slight carbonation bubbles. This beer had very thin head and lace.

Smell: It had a bitter pepper aroma.

Taste: It tasted like brewer took pepper sauce from a steak house. The one that is like vinegar with peppers floating in it and poured it into a beer. There is a vinegar sour/bitter taste to this beer.

Mouthfeel: Another thin watery beer from these guys.

Drinkability: I guess it would be more drinkable if paired with the right food but tha maybe this beers only savior.

2.95/5  rDev -4.2%

Pours a clear golden color. !/5 inch head with decent retention and decent lacing. Smells strongly of pepper and not much else. Fits the style of a Chile Beer. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp with noticeable spiciness. High carbonation level is present. Tastes strongly of peppers and not much else. There is a slightly sweet malt background, but that's it. Overall, it is noticeably peppery, but lacks other beer subtleties.

2.44/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

This chili beer has some heat. I have not had much experience with chili beers, but if I want that hot spicy flavor, I will order some chips and salsa

2.93/5  rDev -4.9%

A - It is a golden, yellow color with a small white, foamy head.

S - It smells like chili peppers (big surprise). It really didn't smell like beer. All I could detect was the pepper smell.

T - It tasted like an ale with a touch of chili pepper flavor. I didn't find the chili pepper taste overpowering. It was clearly present, though.

M - It is very light-bodied and dry.

D - I could (and did) only have one. I probably won't ever have another one, but it was worth a try.

4.25/5  rDev +38%

3.25/5  rDev +5.5%

3.93/5  rDev +27.6%

Reviewed from notes taken 5/29/14

Deep amber color with a thin, clinging white head. Peppery smell with a bit of smokey character. Taste reflected a peppery base upfront yet relatively mild overall; light grain flavor. Medium bodied with a slightly coarse feel; crisp, clean, and dry finish.

A good, respectable chili beer. The pepper heat starts somewhat slowly then builds in intensity. Nice combination and blending of pepper heat and gentle malt flavors. Pairs nicely with their bayou chicken/sausage pasta dish.

2.28/5  rDev -26%

I had this on tap at Flat Branch.

My colleague ordered this one and I had to try it. It was a murky sort of yellow with white head. The smell is that of, well, chillis, and alcohol.

The taste is more or less the same as the smell. I honestly almost gagged as this hit my tongue and went down my throat. Perhaps one of the most unpleasant beers I've tasted.

Overall this is a big miss. I would not, could not, drink this beer again.

3.49/5  rDev +13.3%

A. Bright and inviting, and still slightly cloudy. Decent carbonation, that fades quickly.

S. Some initial malt sweetness before the chili takes over. It kind of has a "ballpark nachos with jalapenos" smell to it.

T. Light and smooth, the chili's bark is worse than its bite- which is good. Just enough chili to dominate without taking over completely.

M. Light but a little chewy, it does not burn like I feared it would.

D. Good for what it is, but not my cup of tea. It is not offensive in any way.

3.5/5  rDev +13.6%

3.23/5  rDev +4.9%

On draft at the source. The beer is light orange and mildly hazy with a thin white collar. The aroma does indeed offer a healthy dose of green chilies. The flavor is one dimensional, with a light body and ample green chilies throughout. No heat or burn in the finish, which I was expecting. A fun beer to sample, and well done for what it is. I like green chilies, so it's likely that I enjoyed this more than the average consumer. Worth a try.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast