2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Green Chili Beer - Flat Branch Pub & Brewery

Green Chili Beer
No picture uploaded.

Flat Branch Pub & Brewery visit their website
Missouri, United States

Chile Beer |  ABV ?

This is the chili-heads favorite brew. A mild base beer is spiced up with Anaheim and Serrano peppers. This beer has a wonderful green chili aroma and a touch of heat in the finish. Have it with tomato juice as a “liquid enchilada”.

(Beer added by: maxpower on 01-14-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 25 | Reviews: 11 | Show All Ratings:
Reviews by Northsider:
Northsider

2.25/5  rDev -31.2%

I had this on tap at Flat Branch.

My colleague ordered this one and I had to try it. It was a murky sort of yellow with white head. The smell is that of, well, chillis, and alcohol.

The taste is more or less the same as the smell. I honestly almost gagged as this hit my tongue and went down my throat. Perhaps one of the most unpleasant beers I've tasted.

Overall this is a big miss. I would not, could not, drink this beer again.

06-14-2011 18:25:52 | More by Northsider

01-06-2013 23:59:49 | More by deweese
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

3.2/5  rDev -2.1%

On draft at the source. The beer is light orange and mildly hazy with a thin white collar. The aroma does indeed offer a healthy dose of green chilies. The flavor is one dimensional, with a light body and ample green chilies throughout. No heat or burn in the finish, which I was expecting. A fun beer to sample, and well done for what it is. I like green chilies, so it's likely that I enjoyed this more than the average consumer. Worth a try.

09-04-2012 00:36:09 | More by Huhzubendah

01-30-2012 02:40:41 | More by jewellrunner
hopstradamus

Kansas

3.48/5  rDev +6.4%

A. Bright and inviting, and still slightly cloudy. Decent carbonation, that fades quickly.

S. Some initial malt sweetness before the chili takes over. It kind of has a "ballpark nachos with jalapenos" smell to it.

T. Light and smooth, the chili's bark is worse than its bite- which is good. Just enough chili to dominate without taking over completely.

M. Light but a little chewy, it does not burn like I feared it would.

D. Good for what it is, but not my cup of tea. It is not offensive in any way.

06-22-2010 17:09:45 | More by hopstradamus
tempest

3.08/5  rDev -5.8%

On-tap at the brewpub. This appears clear and blonde. To keep this simple, which is easy for this brew, this tastes like crisp green bell peppers in a glass. It doesn't taste like hot peppers like other chile beers, just greenhouse bell peppers. There isn't enough malt to balance out the pepper and the pepper isn't terribly tasty. It's worth a try, but not a good session beer.

10-31-2009 06:47:03 | More by tempest
PEBKAC

3.95/5  rDev +20.8%

While I'm waiting for my beer to warm up, I might as well plug in some reviews I scratched down...

Growler at Pete's RB Spring Gathering. Thanks Dorothy. :P

Slightly unsettling, muggy yellow color. Wisp of pasty white head.

Raw jalapeno nose singled out among a muddled produce section of smells.

Taste is straight up corn tortillas, itchy malt, with just a nip of jalapenos & brighter green Italian peppers lingering on the follow-through.

Spritzy carbonation, doughy, & slightly metallic. Chewy?

Lots of fun. :)

Serving type: growler

10-08-2009 04:03:40 | More by PEBKAC
LilBeerDoctor

Growler at PPRBSG09. This was actually one of my favorite beers of the whole gathering! Pours a clear yellow with a small white head. Aroma of salsa and tortilla chips. Flavor is largely tortilla chips with a slightly spicy finish. Not really spicy at all (and I'm very sensitive to spices). This is a great beer! If you like tortillas and salsa (like I do), then you'll enjoy this beer! So drinkable too.

Serving type: growler

07-11-2009 15:33:32 | More by LilBeerDoctor
Tone

2.93/5  rDev -10.4%

Pours a clear golden color. !/5 inch head with decent retention and decent lacing. Smells strongly of pepper and not much else. Fits the style of a Chile Beer. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp with noticeable spiciness. High carbonation level is present. Tastes strongly of peppers and not much else. There is a slightly sweet malt background, but that's it. Overall, it is noticeably peppery, but lacks other beer subtleties.

02-13-2009 02:37:11 | More by Tone
MTNboy

Germany

2.53/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I have had some pepper beers before and enjoyed them so I can honestly say I went into drinking this beer with an open mind. I have to say do not judge all pepper beers on this one. The key to a pepper beer is they are best when paired with food.

Appearance: It had a gold body with some slight carbonation bubbles. This beer had very thin head and lace.

Smell: It had a bitter pepper aroma.

Taste: It tasted like brewer took pepper sauce from a steak house. The one that is like vinegar with peppers floating in it and poured it into a beer. There is a vinegar sour/bitter taste to this beer.

Mouthfeel: Another thin watery beer from these guys.

Drinkability: I guess it would be more drinkable if paired with the right food but tha maybe this beers only savior.

11-09-2008 12:14:24 | More by MTNboy
Dusty278

1.83/5  rDev -44%

A - A bit of head that lasts half way through the beer, golden in color.

S - Powerful pepper smell, not bad but that's it.

T: You have to like the taste of peppers to like this beer in my opinion. I may some kind of wuss when it comes to peppers, but this does not taste much like a beer in my opinion because of the strong pepper taste.

M - Light, balanced carbonation.

D - I like Flat Branch and most of their beers so there won't be a chance that I spend my money on this beer again, when I have others that I like around.

08-21-2008 21:58:32 | More by Dusty278
zeff80

2.98/5  rDev -8.9%

A - It is a golden, yellow color with a small white, foamy head.

S - It smells like chili peppers (big surprise). It really didn't smell like beer. All I could detect was the pepper smell.

T - It tasted like an ale with a touch of chili pepper flavor. I didn't find the chili pepper taste overpowering. It was clearly present, though.

M - It is very light-bodied and dry.

D - I could (and did) only have one. I probably won't ever have another one, but it was worth a try.

07-26-2006 17:24:24 | More by zeff80
maxpower

Missouri

This is one strange brew, I only had one sip and thats all I could handle, I guess I don't like peppers in my beer. Deep amber in color with an average white head, all I could smell are peppers in the aroma, strange warm spicy peppery flavors, they are light but really noticable, yuch....

01-14-2003 06:19:30 | More by maxpower