Green Chili Beer - Flat Branch Pub & Brewery

Flat Branch Pub & Brewery visit their website
Missouri, United States

Chile Beer |  ABV ?

Beer added by: maxpower on 01-14-2003

This is the chili-heads favorite brew. A mild base beer is spiced up with Anaheim and Serrano peppers. This beer has a wonderful green chili aroma and a touch of heat in the finish. Have it with tomato juice as a “liquid enchilada”.
to view more.
Ratings: 28 | Reviews: 14
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

2.43/5  rDev -25%

The beer pours clean, with an enticing smell, and unique taste. However, the clarity and aroma are an abrupt contrast to the flavor of the beer.

Note: This is my only tasting of a chili beer. Please take note, that it could be an entire dislike for the style, rather than the merits of this style of beer.

1.88/5  rDev -42%

A - A bit of head that lasts half way through the beer, golden in color.

S - Powerful pepper smell, not bad but that's it.

T: You have to like the taste of peppers to like this beer in my opinion. I may some kind of wuss when it comes to peppers, but this does not taste much like a beer in my opinion because of the strong pepper taste.

M - Light, balanced carbonation.

D - I like Flat Branch and most of their beers so there won't be a chance that I spend my money on this beer again, when I have others that I like around.

3.1/5  rDev -4.3%

On-tap at the brewpub. This appears clear and blonde. To keep this simple, which is easy for this brew, this tastes like crisp green bell peppers in a glass. It doesn't taste like hot peppers like other chile beers, just greenhouse bell peppers. There isn't enough malt to balance out the pepper and the pepper isn't terribly tasty. It's worth a try, but not a good session beer.

3.91/5  rDev +20.7%

While I'm waiting for my beer to warm up, I might as well plug in some reviews I scratched down...

Growler at Pete's RB Spring Gathering. Thanks Dorothy. :P

Slightly unsettling, muggy yellow color. Wisp of pasty white head.

Raw jalapeno nose singled out among a muddled produce section of smells.

Taste is straight up corn tortillas, itchy malt, with just a nip of jalapenos & brighter green Italian peppers lingering on the follow-through.

Spritzy carbonation, doughy, & slightly metallic. Chewy?

Lots of fun. :)

2.53/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I have had some pepper beers before and enjoyed them so I can honestly say I went into drinking this beer with an open mind. I have to say do not judge all pepper beers on this one. The key to a pepper beer is they are best when paired with food.

Appearance: It had a gold body with some slight carbonation bubbles. This beer had very thin head and lace.

Smell: It had a bitter pepper aroma.

Taste: It tasted like brewer took pepper sauce from a steak house. The one that is like vinegar with peppers floating in it and poured it into a beer. There is a vinegar sour/bitter taste to this beer.

Mouthfeel: Another thin watery beer from these guys.

Drinkability: I guess it would be more drinkable if paired with the right food but tha maybe this beers only savior.

2.95/5  rDev -9%

Pours a clear golden color. !/5 inch head with decent retention and decent lacing. Smells strongly of pepper and not much else. Fits the style of a Chile Beer. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp with noticeable spiciness. High carbonation level is present. Tastes strongly of peppers and not much else. There is a slightly sweet malt background, but that's it. Overall, it is noticeably peppery, but lacks other beer subtleties.

2.44/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

This chili beer has some heat. I have not had much experience with chili beers, but if I want that hot spicy flavor, I will order some chips and salsa

2.93/5  rDev -9.6%

A - It is a golden, yellow color with a small white, foamy head.

S - It smells like chili peppers (big surprise). It really didn't smell like beer. All I could detect was the pepper smell.

T - It tasted like an ale with a touch of chili pepper flavor. I didn't find the chili pepper taste overpowering. It was clearly present, though.

M - It is very light-bodied and dry.

D - I could (and did) only have one. I probably won't ever have another one, but it was worth a try.

3.93/5  rDev +21.3%

Reviewed from notes taken 5/29/14

Deep amber color with a thin, clinging white head. Peppery smell with a bit of smokey character. Taste reflected a peppery base upfront yet relatively mild overall; light grain flavor. Medium bodied with a slightly coarse feel; crisp, clean, and dry finish.

A good, respectable chili beer. The pepper heat starts somewhat slowly then builds in intensity. Nice combination and blending of pepper heat and gentle malt flavors. Pairs nicely with their bayou chicken/sausage pasta dish.

2.28/5  rDev -29.6%

I had this on tap at Flat Branch.

My colleague ordered this one and I had to try it. It was a murky sort of yellow with white head. The smell is that of, well, chillis, and alcohol.

The taste is more or less the same as the smell. I honestly almost gagged as this hit my tongue and went down my throat. Perhaps one of the most unpleasant beers I've tasted.

Overall this is a big miss. I would not, could not, drink this beer again.

3.49/5  rDev +7.7%

A. Bright and inviting, and still slightly cloudy. Decent carbonation, that fades quickly.

S. Some initial malt sweetness before the chili takes over. It kind of has a "ballpark nachos with jalapenos" smell to it.

T. Light and smooth, the chili's bark is worse than its bite- which is good. Just enough chili to dominate without taking over completely.

M. Light but a little chewy, it does not burn like I feared it would.

D. Good for what it is, but not my cup of tea. It is not offensive in any way.

3.23/5  rDev -0.3%

On draft at the source. The beer is light orange and mildly hazy with a thin white collar. The aroma does indeed offer a healthy dose of green chilies. The flavor is one dimensional, with a light body and ample green chilies throughout. No heat or burn in the finish, which I was expecting. A fun beer to sample, and well done for what it is. I like green chilies, so it's likely that I enjoyed this more than the average consumer. Worth a try.

This is one strange brew, I only had one sip and thats all I could handle, I guess I don't like peppers in my beer. Deep amber in color with an average white head, all I could smell are peppers in the aroma, strange warm spicy peppery flavors, they are light but really noticable, yuch....

Growler at PPRBSG09. This was actually one of my favorite beers of the whole gathering! Pours a clear yellow with a small white head. Aroma of salsa and tortilla chips. Flavor is largely tortilla chips with a slightly spicy finish. Not really spicy at all (and I'm very sensitive to spices). This is a great beer! If you like tortillas and salsa (like I do), then you'll enjoy this beer! So drinkable too.

to view more.