Blazing World - Modern Times Beer

Blazing WorldBlazing World

Modern Times Beer visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.80% ABV

Beer added by: mactrail on 06-30-2013

This beer is the stickiest of the icky. It's a luxuriously hoppy amber loaded up with intemperate quantities of Nelson, Mosaic, and Simcoe hops, which are some of the fruitiest, dankest hops sweet, sweet money can buy. Despite its amber hue, Blazing World is pleasingly dry, sporting a lightly bready malt backbone that serves as platform for the huge & complex hop profile.
3.19/5  rDev -22.2%

If you're into Amber but not high hoppy beers steer clear. It looks beautiful in the glass but is high on hoppiness and has some floral notes. Not my favorite to be honest but hop lovers would love this one. I read one of the other reviews and it's why I tried it but it hadn't mentioned the hoppiness.

Pint can bought from the online Brewdog shop...

Poured a crystal clear amber orange colour. Creamy head poured tight, thick and foamy then faded to thin covering with thickish edges... light carbonation... light wispy lacing lines barely stick to the glass...

Aroma - Strong flowery and citrusy hop notes, pine resin, strong caramel and biscuit malts, grassy, nice dank fruitiness (oranges, grapefruits, mango, some pears), floral / perfumed, light toastiness, some honey and nut sweetness, light pepperiness, some faint marzipan hints...

Taste –- Nice floral hop bitterness mixed with good rich fruitiness (orange, grapefruit, mangoes, pears), lightly toasted caramel maltiness, some brown sugar notes, nutty sweetness, light medicinal notes, floral / grassy, some creamy hints, sea salt traces...

Feel - Smooth and creamy... light / medium bodied... so refreshing and drinkable - i could easily drink this all night...

Overall - An excellent example of a hoppy red ale... highly recommended

4.22/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Can dated 08/05/15 into a Spiegelau IPA glass. Shocked that this has less red color character than Aurora. Really wish I'd found this fresher, what nose remains 60 days after canning is very appealing, fruity and dank. VERY dank taste, and I love it. Good mouthfeel and carbonation. I need to have this fresher to see if I put it on the same tier as Aurora, but I really like it thus far. Really wish MT would expand their NorCal distro into Sac, I'd buy this and many of their other offerings. Another solid MT brew that I hope to sample again in the future.

Updated original 4.11 rating based on a much fresher can (30 days old). A much better nose in all the favorable attributes I liked initially. Heard MT was looking for a Sac sales rep, so hoping for this to be in my fridge with regularity!

3.73/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Can. Great looking cans, as I think most would agree. The beer pours a clearer copper/amber color. I love the hops used in this brew but the nose leaves something to be desired. Not very intricate. A heavy dose of sweet citrus and bitter greens. Full malt scent on the nose which leads me to believe this may be a sweet/bitter mess. Upon trying Blazing World, I was thankful that this one wasn't a mess like I began to believe. Its a big, grapefruity, bitter brew with an earthy, herby hop element. The malt is sweet and relatively thick. Caramel and breads. Finishes bitter and sticky with resin. I can pick up the booze. I was not overly enamored with this beer.

3.94/5  rDev -3.9%

Thanks to SomethingClever for this can.

In review was canned on 7/9/15.

A - Pours a medium to dark amber color (go figure, huh?), minimal head and light lacing.

S - Nice citrus aroma, berry, a little earthy, passion fruit, toasted malt base.

T - Lightly toasted malt base that's offset by juicy citrus, passion fruit, with a pleasant balanced lingering of citrus and toasted bready malt.

M - Full medium body, small amounts of carbonation pricklies on the tongue, finishes somewhat wet on the front of the palate with a dry finish on the back end.

O - Just when I thought Nugget Nectar was the only savior to Amber Ales ... enter Blazing World. This can is over two months old and it tastes great IMO, would really like to try a super fresh one and will revise my review.

Ive had this beer at the brewery and out of a can. Both are WONDERFUL. Awesome DANK aroma and a bit of citrus. Flavor is out of this world. Sweet, dank, smooth, balanced. Makes you want more.

3.48/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

October 25th, 2013 - A hoppy amber! Count me in. Ambers often need a little pizazz, and an extra handful of hops might do the trick. The aroma is predominantly hoppy as I had hoped, with a heavy dank weed type scent, but at the same time sweet and redolent of pine trees and their needles. The palate is nice and rich, covering and coating the tongue as it goes, expressing a healthy flavor and poised balance. Deep, hoppy and engaging, the Hoppy Amber might be my favorite "non-dark" brew from this brewery to date.

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%

sent as an extra in a trade. poured from can 8-22-15. rich amber. fluffy, off white head. good retention. light citrus nose. better as it warms up a little. pretty solid beer.

4.21/5  rDev +2.7%

Served on tap at Eureka Burger in Claremont CA. Clear copper amber color with 1 inch head. Smells like an ipa, looks like an amber. Lots of bubbles, good carbonation makes it look refreshing. Tastes dank and hoppy up front; huge hop flavor tingles the tongue then fades to a malty sweet finish. Leaves a thick lace on a clean pint glass. I like this beer. It's light enough at 6.8% and is still very refreshing due to the carbonation. Good summer beer for me, considering I usually like the stouts and porters more. Another good beer from this brewery. I'm already a fan of Modern Times because they can their beers.

4.43/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

So.....this is an amber? The wallop of hops this thing packs makes me view at more as a red IPA. Malt is non existant, hops punch you right in the mouth. Body is heavier than expected. The hop trio is pretty balanced here, with none over bearing the others. If this is an amber...its the best one I've had.

4.58/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured into a red solo cup while camping. Orange/red look, real strong citrus and bold hop smell. Real sweet citrus and hop flavor. This beer is amazing loved every drop!

1.15/5  rDev -72%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Can't believe the reviews on this. Such a terrible taste. Had this on tap at modern times with six friends who all said it was the worst of the entire flight.

4.45/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A moderate twist on an Am IPA. Pours nice, good head that draws down smoothly, clear light-amber color. Not a lot of aroma but a rigorous swirl pulls out a dank mix of the usuals (trop and citrus fruit, pine). Taste is smooooooth, with more malt sweetness that an IPA but not too much; really nice balance with the hop trio. Malt body is prevalent, I'm coated with a dank sweetness.

4.39/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Duvel tulip. Bottom of can says Canned On 05/06/15.

A- Pours a dark amber color with a 1/2 inch off-white head that retains well before becoming a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a full sheet of surface foam. Semi-resilient lacing leaves a broken ring behind.

S- Solid hop aroma with a sturdy malt backbone. There's a woody, spicy aspect from the simcoe.

T- The hops play off the malt wonderfully with more of that woody characteristic coming from the simcoe. There's actually a light chocolate note I'm getting from the malt which is quite nice. Also some caramel and I could swear there's some rye malt in this.

M- Prickly feel with medium carbonation and a body leaning toward the lighter side.

O- A complex and nuanced hoppy amber that sits right up there with the best of 'em. Gives Nugget Nectar a run for its money.

4.21/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A hoppy amber? Let's give it a try.
This pours a vibrant caramel color with nice foaming.
The aroma is sticky, dank. Some pine notes, lots of green resin. Yup, it's hoppy. Drying, bitter, amber in color but not cloyingly sweet. I might just have another.

Hoppy and fresh on tap. The kick dulled out from the can, even when recently packaged. Felt like I was drinking two different beers.

3.97/5  rDev -3.2%

Thanks to aViewFromTheHOP for this one! 16 oz can into a teku.

Appearance: Pours a amber (duh) color. The head is a finger high and eggshell in shade. It's rather rough-looking, and retention isn't the best. However, some nice lacing sticks to the glass. (3.5)

Smell: When I saw on the can that this had Mosaic, my heart sank a bit. Then I smelled it, and quickly got over it. This really has a nice aroma of fresh orange and grapefruit, with touches of berry - no sweet onion to be found anywhere. An additional pine-laden dankness adds another interesting dimension. The maltiness creates an excellent canvas for the hop profile, too. I wish most amber ales smelled this good... (4)

Taste: I get the Mosaic on the taste buds. What I don't get, happily, is a bunch of sweet onion. Instead, the beer opens up with some nice grapefruit flavors (even light grapefruit juice), before trailing off into notes of pine, herbs, white grape, and caramel. I even get chocolaty touches. This is fairly complex for a hoppy amber, while the balance between the hops and malts are bang-on. (4)

Mouthfeel: This has the right amount of dryness, and the right amount of malt sweetness to give it body. Carbonation creates a nice prickle, as well. Drinkability is excellent - I wish I had another can... (4)

Overall: I had hopes this would be close to Nugget Nectar in terms of quality. I wasn't let down - if anything, it reminds me a lot of NN, albeit with more new-school hops. Props to Modern Times for making a Mosaic-hopped brew I can easily get down with. And double props for making a great amber ale (a style I'm not always fond of)! (4)

3.97/5: Another reason to be jealous of the California beer scene

4.27/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Amber ale name is a bit deceptive although there is a bit of that malty sweetness with the danky hops. I have skiiped this at the store for a while because of the Amber classification but it is darn tasty and certainly expresses that hoppy west coast style. Great beer.

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A very pleasing fruit basket aroma with hints of spiciness. Really, really nice.
Nice dense white head over darker body of amber of orange and brown. Nice lacing
There is a heftier malt presence which I suppose is why this is listed as a amber ale instead of IPA, because the rest really seems like an IPA. And the malt isn't that big, just bigger than most. A very nice and smooth bittering. Such a nice touch of sweetness with a bit of spiciness, which I assume is in the hopping. A bit of rawness left at the end at times and hop excess hints around, but overall this just work.
Standard feel and carbonation.
This is exceptional in aroma and better than most in taste. Glad I was able to get some. Now, let's see if I can homebrew something close.

4.27/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 16 oz can into tulip glass. Dated 3/6/2015.

A: Pours a golden honey brown with dense 2 finger white head that leaves some significant lacing.

S: Biscuit malts, caramel, brown sugar, and honey. Earthy and floral hops.

T: If there is a such thing as an amber IPA, this might be it. Plenty of dank hops combined with a fairly strong malt backbone. Reminds me a bit of Stone's Arogant Bastard.

M: Medium body and average carbonation. Remarkably easy drinking despite the obvious hop assault.

O: My first beer from Modern Times, and if they are all this good, it won't be my last.

4.65/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Look: Copper colored with slight amber hue
Smell: Very complex nose. Sweet and bready malt with fruity aromas and candied sugar
Taste: Offering reminds me somewhat of 90min IPA. high IBU yet not alot of bitterness because of sweet backbone. After drinking its hard to decide whether this is an IPA or an amber ale as described.
Feel: Lower carbonation. Smooth mouthfeel and a head that is as creamy as they come.
Overall: This was an amazingly complex beer. Modern Times is a brewery to keep an eye out for. A beer that I feel will be loved by all craft beer fans

4.34/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

An absolute staple in my beer fridge. I'm not really sure why this beer is considered an amber ale. Yeah, it's amber in color, but it has all of the characteristics of an IPA. Love the dankness with the combination of Nelson, Simcoe, and Mosaic.

4.86/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I've had this both on tap, and from a can. The review is from a can poured into a Sierra Nevada pint glass. It's a clear honey golden color with a big white head. Smell is orange and pineapple, along with some dank hops and grass. The taste is all hops. Bitter up front with a great juicy aftertaste. The mouthfeel is so crispy at first that it seems to add a spicy flavor to the beer. Medium body that is extremely easy to drink. If I didn't see Amber on the label, I would think I was drinking a double IPA. This is one of my current favorite beers, and it's definitely worth a try.

4.48/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

We don't get Modern Times distro'd in Marin County so finding this on Maui is a treat.
Not sure how fresh it is (16oz can poured into a basic ass glass) but there isn't one thing that I can point to that would render this beer anything less than outstanding/awesome. So it could be a week, a month or three months old. If more than a month, I might B my L in my P if I tried this fresh.
Dank, hoppy nose, a sexy golden hue, good creamy lacing and by damned if this isn't my favorite of the four MT beers I've tried while here on Maui.

3.72/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

First new era can for me. All fears about metallic favors gone. As to this offering: amber is well described. So, too, hoppy. Tropicals in the nose, with some caramel backing. Taste gives way to standard bittering hop profile less so than some notes of citrus, pine, floral, tropical, etc. Pretty simple toasted grain sweetness balances the bitters.

3.49/5  rDev -14.9%

On tap at Beachwood Seal Beach and served in a half pint as a warm-up for the bottle share. Slightly hazy orange to amber in color with a finger of khaki head that settles to a cap and leaves some patches of lace. Aroma is dank hops, grapefruit, pine, more tropical fruit, and a bit of an herbal note. The malt aroma features caramel and toasred bread. Taste is thoroughly dank and moderately bitter with the tropical fruit and caramel sweetness offering some balance early. Medium body, viscous texture, lower carbonation, and a long bitter finish.

Blazing World from Modern Times Beer