Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Blazing World - Modern Times Beer

Blazing WorldBlazing World

Modern Times Beer visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.80% ABV

Beer added by: mactrail on 06-30-2013

This beer is the stickiest of the icky. It's a luxuriously hoppy amber loaded up with intemperate quantities of Nelson, Mosaic, and Simcoe hops, which are some of the fruitiest, dankest hops sweet, sweet money can buy. Despite its amber hue, Blazing World is pleasingly dry, sporting a lightly bready malt backbone that serves as platform for the huge & complex hop profile.
Reviews by MisSigsFan:
4.61/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I haven't written a review in a while, but this beer alone made me change that.

I was practicing with my band and happened to see a beer tasting sign outside of a warehouse across the street from us. After practice I went in to check the place out. Modern Times! Never heard of it, but I'll give it a try. I wanted something I could take home. I didn't want a growler so I asked them about their cans. I was interested in an IPA, but unfortunately they didn't can or bottle Phalanx at the time. The bartender told me that this was very much like an IPA, very dank and hoppy. Why not? I grabbed a 4 pack and headed home.

I got home and cracked open a can and the smell just jumped right out at me. Wow! Sweet tropical fruits, piney, citrusy, dankness. Definitely picking up on the Nelson Sauvin in this one. It really smells like an IPA. It pours a redish-golden color with a white foamy head. The smell really took off once I poured it.

Now time for the taste. A nice punchy bitterness that isn't too overpowering. Huge tropical fruit, some pine, weed/dank (so that's why they call it "Blazing World"), some herbal qualities, and citrus. Again, Nelson Sauvin really shines here. A little caramel from the malts too. The balance between hops and malt is perfect in this beer. I could drink this all day.

Now comes the mouthfeel. Somewhat thick and a bit lower in carbonation than I would expect. Not syrupy or oily, but very full bodied. I wish it were a bit crisper and lighter. Oh well, fantastic beer nonetheless.

Overall, I'm very very impressed. Reminds me a lot of Nugget Nectar but way more tropical fruit and dankness. So good. Watch out world, here comes Modern Times.

Edited 1/17/15 (1,698 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

We don't get Modern Times distro'd in Marin County so finding this on Maui is a treat.
Not sure how fresh it is (16oz can poured into a basic ass glass) but there isn't one thing that I can point to that would render this beer anything less than outstanding/awesome. So it could be a week, a month or three months old. If more than a month, I might B my L in my P if I tried this fresh.
Dank, hoppy nose, a sexy golden hue, good creamy lacing and by damned if this isn't my favorite of the four MT beers I've tried while here on Maui. (535 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%

4.44/5  rDev +8.3%

3.97/5  rDev -3.2%

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%

4.21/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.43/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.7/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

3.94/5  rDev -3.9%

4.74/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Viscous tangerine.

S: Dank, resinous hops that are orange-like in character. Mango, nectarine.

T: Peach, mandarin or tangerine, hoppy but not overly bitter.

M: The thickness of a double or triple IPA without being too astringent on the finish.

O: Super impressed with this one. Apparently a "hoppy-dank amber" lies somewhere between a double IPA and an imperial red in taste and mouthfeel (though without the higher ABV). (428 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -5.4%