Follow our progress ...

Blazing WorldBlazing World

Modern Times Beer
California, United States | website

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

This beer is the stickiest of the icky. It's a luxuriously hoppy amber loaded up with intemperate quantities of Nelson, Mosaic, and Simcoe hops, which are some of the fruitiest, dankest hops sweet, sweet money can buy. Despite its amber hue, Blazing World is pleasingly dry, sporting a lightly bready malt backbone that serves as platform for the huge & complex hop profile.

Added by mactrail on 06-30-2013

Reviews: 141 | Ratings: 1,040
Reviews by MisSigsFan:
4.61/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I haven't written a review in a while, but this beer alone made me change that.

I was practicing with my band and happened to see a beer tasting sign outside of a warehouse across the street from us. After practice I went in to check the place out. Modern Times! Never heard of it, but I'll give it a try. I wanted something I could take home. I didn't want a growler so I asked them about their cans. I was interested in an IPA, but unfortunately they didn't can or bottle Phalanx at the time. The bartender told me that this was very much like an IPA, very dank and hoppy. Why not? I grabbed a 4 pack and headed home.

I got home and cracked open a can and the smell just jumped right out at me. Wow! Sweet tropical fruits, piney, citrusy, dankness. Definitely picking up on the Nelson Sauvin in this one. It really smells like an IPA. It pours a redish-golden color with a white foamy head. The smell really took off once I poured it.

Now time for the taste. A nice punchy bitterness that isn't too overpowering. Huge tropical fruit, some pine, weed/dank (so that's why they call it "Blazing World"), some herbal qualities, and citrus. Again, Nelson Sauvin really shines here. A little caramel from the malts too. The balance between hops and malt is perfect in this beer. I could drink this all day.

Now comes the mouthfeel. Somewhat thick and a bit lower in carbonation than I would expect. Not syrupy or oily, but very full bodied. I wish it were a bit crisper and lighter. Oh well, fantastic beer nonetheless.

Overall, I'm very very impressed. Reminds me a lot of Nugget Nectar but way more tropical fruit and dankness. So good. Watch out world, here comes Modern Times.

Edited 1/17/15

4.48/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

We don't get Modern Times distro'd in Marin County so finding this on Maui is a treat.
Not sure how fresh it is (16oz can poured into a basic ass glass) but there isn't one thing that I can point to that would render this beer anything less than outstanding/awesome. So it could be a week, a month or three months old. If more than a month, I might B my L in my P if I tried this fresh.
Dank, hoppy nose, a sexy golden hue, good creamy lacing and by damned if this isn't my favorite of the four MT beers I've tried while here on Maui.

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

4.44/5  rDev +8%

3.92/5  rDev -4.6%

3.97/5  rDev -3.4%

Ive had this beer at the brewery and out of a can. Both are WONDERFUL. Awesome DANK aroma and a bit of citrus. Flavor is out of this world. Sweet, dank, smooth, balanced. Makes you want more.

4.21/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours light copper in color, clear, with one inch head. Taste is amazing wet hops, mango, and light grapefruit and biscuit. Tastes exceptionally fresh. Would really like Modern Times to come up here full time. This is another hoppy beer I would get often

4.33/5  rDev +5.4%

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

4.21/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.43/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.7/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

50cl can. Clear dark amber with a modest white head. Pine, grapefruit and caramel, and a silky smoot texture with low carbonation. Very nice.

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%