Blazing World - Modern Times Beer

Blazing WorldBlazing World

Modern Times Beer visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.80% ABV

(Beer added by: mactrail on 06-30-2013)
Reviews by MisSigsFan:
4.41/5  rDev +8.1%

I haven't written a review in a while, but this beer alone made me change that.

I was practicing with my band and happened to see a beer tasting sign outside of a warehouse across the street from us. After practice I went in to check the place out. Modern Times! Never heard of it, but I'll give it a try. I wanted something I could take home. I didn't want a growler so I asked them about their cans. I was interested in an IPA, but unfortunately they don't can the ones they offer. The bartender told me that this was very much like an IPA, very dank and hoppy. Why not? I grabbed a 4 pack and headed home.

Later on I cracked open a can and the smell just jumped right out at me. Wow! Sweet, piney, citrusy. It really smells like an IPA. I poured it into a pint glass and found it to look like an IPA as well, but maybe slightly more "amber." It poured with a white foamy head. The smell really took off once I poured it.

Now time for the taste. A nice punchy hoppiness with some pine, citrus, and tropical fruit. Maybe a little caramel too. The balance between hops and malt is quite good in this brew. I could drink this all day.

Now comes the mouthfeel. Very thick and filling. Not syrupy or oily, but very full bodied. I wish it were a bit crisper and lighter. Oh well, fantastic beer nonetheless.

Overall, I'm very very impressed. Reminds me a lot of Nugget Nectar. So good. I'll need to return another time to try Modern Times' other offerings. If they're as good as Blazing World this brewery will be going places.

MisSigsFan, Dec 25, 2013

virinow, Mar 16, 2014

welcome2jb, Jul 01, 2014
4.74/5  rDev +16.2%

A: Viscous tangerine.

S: Dank, resinous hops that are orange-like in character. Mango, nectarine.

T: Peach, mandarin or tangerine, hoppy but not overly bitter.

M: The thickness of a double or triple IPA without being too astringent on the finish.

O: Super impressed with this one. Apparently a "hoppy-dank amber" lies somewhere between a double IPA and an imperial red in taste and mouthfeel (though without the higher ABV).

01001111, Mar 19, 2014

jworkman, Mar 16, 2014

Dawkins, Jan 17, 2014

Diggy, Jul 31, 2014
4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured from a fresh tall-boy into a Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

Carrot orange to amber gradient, good clarity, plugged by a thumb of champagne souffle. Superior retention, thick, eggy lacing.

Dank, fruity aromatic assault with guava, persimmon, orange peel, mint/thyme/marijuana filling the air. A sweet gently candied malt note comes across as well.

Intense tropical fruit is smothered by an equally intense herbaceous hop flavor burst - as if you were chewing on whole flowers mixed with Starburst. You can sort of pick out individual flavors now and then (passion-fruit from the Nelson; tangerine from the Simcoe, a wide array from the Mosaic), but the bitterness wakes you from any analytic reveries you may be nursing. The toasty Munich malt and dough-y Midnight wheat add a characterful balancing sweetness into the medium-dry finish where the hop flavors have their last stand before dissipating.

Medium-bodied, well carbonated, slightly oily yet refreshing.

While I generally prefer ambers from the Pacific Northwest (nothing pairs so well with fresh caught salmon) - I will add this to my shortlist of SoCal beers (Hop Head Red; My Bloody Valentine, etc.) that make the style their own.

augustgarage, May 24, 2014