Blazing World - Modern Times Beer

Blazing WorldBlazing World

Modern Times Beer visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.80% ABV

Beer added by: mactrail on 06-30-2013

This beer is the stickiest of the icky. It's a luxuriously hoppy amber loaded up with intemperate quantities of Nelson, Mosaic, and Simcoe hops, which are some of the fruitiest, dankest hops sweet, sweet money can buy. Despite its amber hue, Blazing World is pleasingly dry, sporting a lightly bready malt backbone that serves as platform for the huge & complex hop profile.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blazing World Alström Bros
Ratings: 805 | Reviews: 109
4.21/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A hoppy amber? Let's give it a try.
This pours a vibrant caramel color with nice foaming.
The aroma is sticky, dank. Some pine notes, lots of green resin. Yup, it's hoppy. Drying, bitter, amber in color but not cloyingly sweet. I might just have another.

Hoppy and fresh on tap. The kick dulled out from the can, even when recently packaged. Felt like I was drinking two different beers.

3.97/5  rDev -3.4%

Thanks to aViewFromTheHOP for this one! 16 oz can into a teku.

Appearance: Pours a amber (duh) color. The head is a finger high and eggshell in shade. It's rather rough-looking, and retention isn't the best. However, some nice lacing sticks to the glass. (3.5)

Smell: When I saw on the can that this had Mosaic, my heart sank a bit. Then I smelled it, and quickly got over it. This really has a nice aroma of fresh orange and grapefruit, with touches of berry - no sweet onion to be found anywhere. An additional pine-laden dankness adds another interesting dimension. The maltiness creates an excellent canvas for the hop profile, too. I wish most amber ales smelled this good... (4)

Taste: I get the Mosaic on the taste buds. What I don't get, happily, is a bunch of sweet onion. Instead, the beer opens up with some nice grapefruit flavors (even light grapefruit juice), before trailing off into notes of pine, herbs, white grape, and caramel. I even get chocolaty touches. This is fairly complex for a hoppy amber, while the balance between the hops and malts are bang-on. (4)

Mouthfeel: This has the right amount of dryness, and the right amount of malt sweetness to give it body. Carbonation creates a nice prickle, as well. Drinkability is excellent - I wish I had another can... (4)

Overall: I had hopes this would be close to Nugget Nectar in terms of quality. I wasn't let down - if anything, it reminds me a lot of NN, albeit with more new-school hops. Props to Modern Times for making a Mosaic-hopped brew I can easily get down with. And double props for making a great amber ale (a style I'm not always fond of)! (4)

3.97/5: Another reason to be jealous of the California beer scene

4.09/5  rDev -0.5%

Nice amber body. The nose is piney and fruity. The body is resiny, breast and malty with a very subtle bitter finish.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Amber ale name is a bit deceptive although there is a bit of that malty sweetness with the danky hops. I have skiiped this at the store for a while because of the Amber classification but it is darn tasty and certainly expresses that hoppy west coast style. Great beer.

4.33/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A very pleasing fruit basket aroma with hints of spiciness. Really, really nice.
Nice dense white head over darker body of amber of orange and brown. Nice lacing
There is a heftier malt presence which I suppose is why this is listed as a amber ale instead of IPA, because the rest really seems like an IPA. And the malt isn't that big, just bigger than most. A very nice and smooth bittering. Such a nice touch of sweetness with a bit of spiciness, which I assume is in the hopping. A bit of rawness left at the end at times and hop excess hints around, but overall this just work.
Standard feel and carbonation.
This is exceptional in aroma and better than most in taste. Glad I was able to get some. Now, let's see if I can homebrew something close.

3.99/5  rDev -2.9%

Social Kitchen & Brewery - San Francisco, CA - draft (Modern Times Tap Takeover)

3.62/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This wasn't particularly smooth for an amber ale. The hops used don't seem to blend very well and I thought it was overly sweet.

4.27/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 16 oz can into tulip glass. Dated 3/6/2015.

A: Pours a golden honey brown with dense 2 finger white head that leaves some significant lacing.

S: Biscuit malts, caramel, brown sugar, and honey. Earthy and floral hops.

T: If there is a such thing as an amber IPA, this might be it. Plenty of dank hops combined with a fairly strong malt backbone. Reminds me a bit of Stone's Arogant Bastard.

M: Medium body and average carbonation. Remarkably easy drinking despite the obvious hop assault.

O: My first beer from Modern Times, and if they are all this good, it won't be my last.

3.84/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

An interesting brew. More amber in color than taste, so it was hoppy but with a lighter malt profile than expected, in a good way.

4.65/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Look: Copper colored with slight amber hue
Smell: Very complex nose. Sweet and bready malt with fruity aromas and candied sugar
Taste: Offering reminds me somewhat of 90min IPA. high IBU yet not alot of bitterness because of sweet backbone. After drinking its hard to decide whether this is an IPA or an amber ale as described.
Feel: Lower carbonation. Smooth mouthfeel and a head that is as creamy as they come.
Overall: This was an amazingly complex beer. Modern Times is a brewery to keep an eye out for. A beer that I feel will be loved by all craft beer fans

A good beer thrown in as an extra in a trade and probably where the beer would best be categorized.

4.48/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

We don't get Modern Times distro'd in Marin County so finding this on Maui is a treat.
Not sure how fresh it is (16oz can poured into a basic ass glass) but there isn't one thing that I can point to that would render this beer anything less than outstanding/awesome. So it could be a week, a month or three months old. If more than a month, I might B my L in my P if I tried this fresh.
Dank, hoppy nose, a sexy golden hue, good creamy lacing and by damned if this isn't my favorite of the four MT beers I've tried while here on Maui.

3.72/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

First new era can for me. All fears about metallic favors gone. As to this offering: amber is well described. So, too, hoppy. Tropicals in the nose, with some caramel backing. Taste gives way to standard bittering hop profile less so than some notes of citrus, pine, floral, tropical, etc. Pretty simple toasted grain sweetness balances the bitters.

3.49/5  rDev -15.1%

On tap at Beachwood Seal Beach and served in a half pint as a warm-up for the bottle share. Slightly hazy orange to amber in color with a finger of khaki head that settles to a cap and leaves some patches of lace. Aroma is dank hops, grapefruit, pine, more tropical fruit, and a bit of an herbal note. The malt aroma features caramel and toasred bread. Taste is thoroughly dank and moderately bitter with the tropical fruit and caramel sweetness offering some balance early. Medium body, viscous texture, lower carbonation, and a long bitter finish.

4.96/5  rDev +20.7%

Extra received in a trade. Was very happy to be able to try this.

Pours a copper amber color. Decent head on this one.

Mango and pineapple. Fruit punch.

Same as smell, more on the pineapple side though.

Beer seemed a little light and lost carbonation very quick in the can.

Overall this beer was still absolutely amazing and I would love to drink some more some time very soon if possible.

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

love this beer.. a month old... very dank and hoppy.. awesome everyday drinking beer for me.

4.29/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

So I received this beer via the NBS BIF thread, courtesy of @aoampm. What is so amazing about this beer is the smell. I'd say caramel and vanilla, pine with maybe a touch of honey. Very prominent smell and it is wonderful. One of the best smelling beers I have had in a long time. The beer was fresh (1/13/15) and exceptional. It is called an amber but it seems to be more of an IPA quality to me only because the hops are so abundant. However, there is plenty of vanilla and toffee sweetness in the taste. At just under 7% abv, it is not quite an imperial, I suppose. I love Nugget Nectar, a benchmark imperial Amber, but give me this over Nugget anytime Send more :)

4.06/5  rDev -1.2%

A: Copper with no carbonation, not quite crystal clear and topped with 4 fingers of off white sea foam head.

S: Citrus, pine, menthol, medicinal, tropical fruit-specifically overripe pineapple, banana and jackfruit.

T: Wow. A huge punch of tropical and pine notes. I get pineapple and flowers like orchids and champas, jackfruit in there as well. A light sweetness balanced with a dull bitter note.

M: Very little carbonation, balance of sweet and dry resinous qualities.

O: Found this in Chiang Mai, drank in Kunming Feb 10th, 2015. A great brew. I’m sure it’s a little old and would have been even better fresh, still its holding out well.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

I don't care what they call it, it's an IPA. It's amazingly hoppy for an "amber". A great, readily available beer you can always rely on. My new go-to for any day of the week.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Slightly hazy cream soda-like appearance with abundant lacing, smelling of caramel sweet malt with a touch of honey and pine, tasting excellent balance between the pungent hop character and the elegant malt back, with good carbonation to compliment the lightly weighted mouthfeel.

4.06/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

look-Color is a clearish tan, highly reminiscent of iced tea, pours a finger of white head that settles into a nice layer of foam that lasts awhile.
Smell-malty caramel at first, followed by a hoppy, piney whallop and booze in the finish.
Taste-Like the smell, malty notes of biscuit and faint caramel upfront, then comes earthy and piney hop notes. great contrast there. a touch of booze in the end but far from overpowering.
Feel-Medium bodied, carbonation is subtle, very juicy in the finish.
Overall- very nice beer, unique and well balanced. it isn't something i would run to buy again but its tasty and satisfying, definitely worth giving a shot.

4.27/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

16oz can, dated 1/14/2015. Served in a snifter 2/5/2015.

A- Dark muddy amber body, two finger white head with great retention, great lacing, nice longevity.

S- Wow, I can definitely get some spicy passion fruit here mixed in with grapefruit and pine. This is a LOT hoppier than I expected. Incredible, I have to think there is Nelson in here, it has that characteristic passion fruit aroma. Tons of hops abound on top of a mild toffee malt aroma. Make no doubt about it, this is juicy and aromatic.

F- Nice dry toffee malt backbone, but the hops shine here. Passion fruit, grapefruit, citrus, pine. Very fruity, lots of different flavours and very juicy with a nice hefty passion fruit bitterness on the backend.

M- Medium bodied, bursting with flavour and the perfect amount of carbonation. This is a sticky, resinous beer that leaves a dry, bitter passion fruit finish lingering on the tongue. Wow!

O- I love this beer. Much better than I expected it to be, and I certainly think it's an amazing year-round for what it is, especially given the current rAvg of 4.1. I think it's higher than that- it's an Amber/Red but I definitely enjoy this a lot more than the likes of Nugget Nectar which is considered one of the best hoppy Amber/Red ales out there.

4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

A-pours a hazy copper brown color with a tan creamy head nice lacing as you sip this brew
S-citrus fruit hops with caramel and toffee
T-dank hops with pine and tangerine citrus notes with nice toffee and caramel to finish
M-creamy smooth with a dank resin hop medium carbonation
O-this brew is one you just keep on sipping and the pint is gone really great brew

4.92/5  rDev +19.7%

This beer has a very unassuming can design. I wasn't familiar with the brand and didn't expect too much (yes, I judged the book by its cover.) Took a sip and thought... hey, that's a lot better than I expected - didn't think I should rate it so high because anything is great coming from very low expectation. After a few sips, I put the beer down and THEN it hits me. The citrusy hop flavor lingers... for a long time. It just begs for another sip then another and made me really sad when the can is gone.

4.85/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I dream of this beer with bbq

Blazing World from Modern Times Beer