2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Beck's Dark - Brauerei Beck & Co.

Beck's DarkBeck's Dark

poor

Brauerei Beck & Co. visit their website
Germany

Munich Dunkel Lager |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-07-2001)
View: Beers (14) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beck's Dark Alström Bros
Ratings: 587 | Reviews: 291 | Show All Ratings:
Viperman

The Death of Beck's Dark

I am re-posting this comment because I see that Beer Advocate moved it from Beck's Dark to regular Beck's beer.

It took me a little to realize what had happened; the taste changed like I had gotten a funny batch. Also I started to get a headache, digestive problems and I thought what the hell is going on? After examining the label and realizing it had changed I looked up on my iPhone and to my horror I found that this was now an Anheuser product; brewed in St Louis...

Well that it explained my negative physical reaction. I was stunned. Anheuser Busch products make me physically ill and taste poor.
I was angry that Inbev had botched this and will effectively kill this beer. I will never purchase Beck's Dark again or any "Beck's" product.

So long Beck's...a moment of silence in remembrance please.

08-01-2012 16:52:08 | More by Viperman
notabeersissy

Hi all,
Have been a long time Euro beer (mostly German) drinker since the late 60's, I know these days and even back then Beck's was never at the high end of the beer list, but it has always been good choice when nothing else was around or you were lucky enough to find a fresh barrel on tap.

Well a few weeks ago I was at one of the chain liquor stores that happen have Becks reg and dark on sale, so I picked up a few cases of the dark. Then I remembered something about Bud buying out Becks or bottling it for them here.

Now for the important part, I had a bottle of Becks dark and it was pure "PANTHER PISS" the old familiar prune-ish taste was gone. I really do not drink Bud but if I did I would imagine a can of that w/ some liquid smoke poured in. I bought a few cases of this so I figured it may or been a bad bottle or two but tried another and had a few friends over and had them try it. I really do not want to post what as said about the product.

So I guess another brewer went the way of the past selling out there heritage or perhaps just had to get out of the business as they could not keep up w/ all the new crud on the market.

To the board, sorry I'm not well versed enough on posting the characteristics , just called it as I saw it.

Shame on PUD !

01-24-2014 13:37:33 | More by notabeersissy
Uniobrew31

1.18/5  rDev -61.1%

What the hell happened??? This used to be my favorite/ go to beer. I bought it by the case all the time. Never again! This now I guess was bought out by AB and is now brewed in St. Louis. Something is very wrong. It tasted funky, watered down and undrinkable. Thanks AB for ruining another brand. Next time you buy a brewery just leave it alone!!! I will never forgive you for Rolling Rock or Becks Your beer is bad enough. Stop buying good breweries and ruining them!!!

01-05-2013 00:13:59 | More by Uniobrew31
adams82

1.23/5  rDev -59.4%

Pours a deep red, filtered clear, no head.

I'm trying to pick out a smell on this one... sweet skunk comes to mind.

It really doesn't taste like much. Imagine drinking roasted water... At least it doesn't taste as it smells.

Mountfeel is OK, although a little watery and thin though. This has absolutely no character at all and absolutely zero attributes that can save it.

What an awful beer. Note that I did check the "Best By:" date and it was 5-2008, this was not an old bottle.

04-17-2008 00:35:32 | More by adams82
ZenAgnostic

1.35/5  rDev -55.4%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Bottom of back label stamped Best before 05.2012.

Appearance - Pours two finger tan head with decent retention and good stick. Clear very dark brown body.

Smell - Corn and a wet lawn.

Taste - Stale corn and lots of metal. Strong bitter finish.

Mouthfeel - Watery. Almost no effervescence. Astringent and slightly acidic.

Overall Drinkability - This beer is overwhelmingly metallic, bitter, astringent and acidic. I consider all these to be off characters, and this is particularly bad when the beer is otherwise dull, mild or flavorless. All bad characters, not much in the way of good ones past the appearance. This would definitely be a drain pour if it wasn't for the fact that I'd at least like getting a buzz in return for tasting this beer.

11-09-2011 23:37:12 | More by ZenAgnostic
jdhilt

New Hampshire

1.45/5  rDev -52.1%

Pours with a one-finger off-white head that leaves no lace. Deep, clear amber color. Light bodied and very light carbonation. Skunky nose. Starts with a tinny, metallic, skunky taste (what is it with the green bottles??) and has a watery finish. $1.55 for a 12oz. bottle from Colonial Spirits Acton, Ma.

08-15-2004 22:41:47 | More by jdhilt
searsclone

Arizona

1.68/5  rDev -44.6%

I had this poured from a 24oz bottle into a pint glass.

I was in a bar while I tried this, so I don't have much of a review concerning the appearance since it was not very well lit.

The beer smelled like a skunk. I didn't pick up any other smells.

The first half of the bottle tasted to me like what I imagine a well used ash tray would taste like. I don't mean it had a smokey flavor, more rancid and dirty tasting. The second half of the bottle to me had very little taste.

I found this beer to be undrinkable, I did not finish this one.

To be fair, it may have been an out of date bottle, I did not check.

Personally, I will avoid this beer.

04-08-2008 15:31:32 | More by searsclone
SometimesIfart

1.69/5  rDev -44.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

A - Pours dark copper with a decent sized white head. Left slight lacing.

S - Creamed corn, skunk, rice adjunct.

t - Creamed corn up front with a heavy rice, skunk, and bitter finish.

M - Medium bodied with heavy carbonation.

O - Overall, I'm not here to bash on InBev, I'm here to rate this beer for what it is and it isn't any good.

02-04-2013 21:33:19 | More by SometimesIfart
changeup45

1.7/5  rDev -43.9%

Nothing that I will look for again. First thing I noticed was the skunked aroma, not a great way to start the beer. Dark colored with a thin head and a little bit of lace. Fairly rich flavor but had a tiny, metallic finish. So basically, the aroma is pretty bad, and the finish tastes like metal. Since this smells like a skunk and is the color of one I think I'll stay away.

08-23-2008 21:17:48 | More by changeup45
kenofken

1.83/5  rDev -39.6%

Beck's Dark used to be my favorite all-around go-to beer. It had the perfect balance of malt and hops, that clean crisp lager body, a depth of character and richness. As with most import beers, you sometimes got a batch that wasn't as fresh as it should have been, but it was a very good to excellent product.

Since InBev domesticated it, it's turned into two-dimensional swill. Budweiser with a darker hue and different packaging. I gave the new stuff several chances in recent months, and for a period of time, I was able to compare it head to head with some of the older German-made stock some stores still had in inventory. It's been uniformly disappointing to the point I've given up entirely on it in search of a replacement. I guess they do this because the economics work - shave every production corner you can and drive up margins. It doesn't work for me. I don't drink a lot, so when I do, I want quality, and I'd rather pay a few bucks more if that's what it takes to keep a product authentic and good.

11-05-2013 06:29:42 | More by kenofken
wesclaypool

1.95/5  rDev -35.6%

A favorite of my mom's, so a mother's day review is in order.

a - Stays true to its title, very dark with dark amber/brown color where the light comes through. Pretty decent head upon initial pour, but faded quickly.

s - Not much going on in terms of smell. Standard, crisp lager-type smell.

t - Bitter at first with no real aftertaste. Can't really discern any special flavors that pop out.

m - Thin, crisp carbonation.

d - Not bad if its all you have, certainly drinkable. Wouldn't go out of my way for it though.

Not my favorite, sorry mom. Happy Mother's Day anyway!

05-09-2010 22:25:33 | More by wesclaypool
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

1.98/5  rDev -34.7%

12 ounce bottle - $1.29 at Total Wine & More in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours a clear, very dark reddish-brown body with a moderately-sized, off-white head.

Smell: Initial waft of skunkiness, which is expected in green bottled lagers, but just seems a bit more off-putting for a darker beer. Given a few minutes to gather its thoughts, the skunk has blown off, but now there's another problem -- some repellent metal notes. Trying to sniff around all these problems yields helpless notes of sweet, bready malts and fruit.

Taste: A light taste of dark malts with some grainy tones and a light sweetness. Strong, unyielding metal tones arrive early on -- fairly displeasing. Touch of fruit. More filthy nickels and dimes. Touch of hops and bitterness. Sweetish t-- forget it. This one's a drain pour.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Not recommended at all. Particularly loathsome metallic taste, like tonguing the return coin slot on an old, used vending machine. It's like a cow's eyeball in my soup, I just can't appreciate any other qualities when I this glaring fault staring back at me. Ugh.

07-04-2009 02:21:38 | More by ChainGangGuy
flaminghomer

Indiana

2.05/5  rDev -32.3%

why do they even make dark euro lagers? this crap is nasty, and so is hieneken dark. it has got me thinking, what would budweiser dark taste like? appearance is crap, but it's better looking than regular beck's. everything else about it is crap is well. if you are just getting started on your journey for beer enlightenment i can see how you might like this. if you've already tried plenty of great beers, don't waste your money.

09-07-2004 08:01:34 | More by flaminghomer
Lupe

2.08/5  rDev -31.4%

Deep brown liquid lies beneath a huge, frothy and chunky cream colored head. Head sticks around for a while and leaves sporadic lace.

Bready aroma with a mild rye spiciness. Light spicy hops, and an otherwise fairly clean aroma.

First taste brings a nice crispness with toasted grain. Then things get messy - sweet malt, loads and loads of more husky grain, and toasted malt all add to the astringent flavor. Hops barely present, but here is a heavy metallic and skunked character. Not very good.

Light in body, thin, and overly carbonated. I wouldn't have another.

Started promising with a beautiful appearance and decent aroma, but this ends up just being a dark Beck's - someone check for caramel coloring.

02-17-2008 14:53:52 | More by Lupe
dacrza1

2.08/5  rDev -31.4%

DATE TASTED: October 12, 2013 ... GLASSWARE: Warsteiner pokal... OCCASION: celebrating PSU's unBILLeivable comeback against Michigan--and my son's fifth birthday... APPEARANCE: "dark" velvet black as night body with a brownish roadside snake-colored head; lacing is nonexistent, with a random streak or spot... AROMA: classic Beck's ping/tang hops with a doughy funky roundness; a "dirtier" version of the pilsner...PALATE: slick and oily; lightly bodied with subtle activity at the teeth...TASTE: bready, doughy and slightly malty; light hops do not really add balance or memorability...OVERALL: on the plus side, sessionable and autumnal; on the negative, almost indistinguishable from the Oktoberfest, save the presence of extra doughy malts...

10-26-2013 04:08:45 | More by dacrza1
cooter

2.1/5  rDev -30.7%

Pours like a root beer; black with soda-like head (large "sudsy" bubbles, unevenly sized, rapid carbonation, head dissipates). Very peppy in the mouthfeel and carbonation. Smells skunked and malty. Taste doesn't mesh well with smell; hoppy and bitter in a bad way. Consistency seems off, like a syrup--similar to some mediocre Czech dark lagers I've had. Maybe it's the style...

Taste is flat and without depth. The drinkability is good, except it sits in the stomach and leaves a thin residue on the mouth that doesn't entice another drink...I don't want to sip again, also, because it tastes like seltzer after half a bottle. Blech. Best aspect of the beer has to be...erm...mouthfeel, which. Zesty. Otherwise poor.

12-13-2004 03:44:30 | More by cooter
ElGrecoVerde

2.13/5  rDev -29.7%

At least it looked nice. Dark brown with a nice tan head. The smell was decent, sweet caramel and coffee aromas, but pretty mild. There was bit of that bitter aroma that lurks in the back of your nostrils as well.

Taste started out okay, with the same sweet caramel and coffee notes. Then you get hit in the mouth with a sock full of pennies. Literally, it tastes like pennies. The metallic flavors give way to an even worse spray from a dead skunk. Not good, not decent, but bad. Maybe I got a bad bottle, or maybe this beer stinks.

Moving on, it felt okay, or as good as liquid road kill can feel. But I won't be having this one again.

For someone who likes dark beers, this was a big disappointment.

01-31-2008 17:51:41 | More by ElGrecoVerde
CowsCanBark

2.13/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into Samuel Adams pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a very dark but clear brown with a one-finger off-white head that quickly dissipates. Spotty lacing is left on the glass.

Smell: Skunked to hell. An extremely light malt smell behind the skunk.

Taste: Not as skunky as the smell, but there also isn't anything else going on here. Light skunk, light metal, extremely light malts, water.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied and high carbonation, easy as hell to down.

Overall: Good for occasional drinkers who enjoy AALs, because it really reminds me more of an AAL than a dark beer. Not what I was expecting, and not very flavorful at all.

03-07-2012 04:30:35 | More by CowsCanBark
Overlord

2.17/5  rDev -28.4%

Does Beck's make a good beer? I've gots to know.

Pours an attractive dark brown with some carnelian highlights. Taste has some malt, maybe a bit of toastiness. I detect bitterness, could be hops, but there's no grapefruit or pine flavoring to it.

Mouthfeel is thin, carbonation went all crazy then vanished ... stay away.

01-05-2008 09:12:58 | More by Overlord
JayS2629

Alabama

2.17/5  rDev -28.4%

A- Dark copper tones with medium fluffy head and nice lace.

S- Sweet malts, caramels, fruity tones, and a good dose of skunk.

T- Skunk over-rides it all, but there are undertones of toffee and caramel, toasted malts.

M- Medium bodied, slightly creamy, but overall watery

D- Watery, boring beer.

12-25-2010 05:16:11 | More by JayS2629
Fatehunter

Oregon

2.17/5  rDev -28.4%

Poured into a wide flute glass. Nice dark amber color, transparent with two fingers of head that fell to a quarter finger in a minute.
Well, it smells like a regular Beck's. Metallic with a hint of malt.
Tastes like nothing... then a metal flavor followed by the characteristic bitter of a Berlin Lager. A big miss on style.
Light bodied, moderate carbonation.
No malt in the body or taste, no real flavor and not even close to a Dunkel. It is just a darker colored Beck's. Stay away.

11-12-2011 18:18:11 | More by Fatehunter
walleye

2.2/5  rDev -27.4%

from the bottle . I bought this bottle because it has ben a long time since I have had a becks .poured brown with off white head. aroma, malts , barley, malts. flavor, malts, caramel, corn, I use to like this beer in my younger days when I thought that drinking a becks was cool.

05-10-2005 01:50:26 | More by walleye
tbeck

Washington

2.2/5  rDev -27.4%

Poured a dark brown, cola like with a thin white head that stayed around. Aroma was definetly skunky as was as the taste. Quite a bit of metallic in the taste also. The texture was thin and light. Overall I was disappointed I thought I would be getting a little more. It seemed that it was a lager with food coloring added. Not recommended.

08-08-2008 03:54:20 | More by tbeck
granger10

Wisconsin

2.23/5  rDev -26.4%

This certainly looks like a dark beer with a nice head and some good carbonation to match. But that's where the comparisons end. Scent is alright. Kind of malty but not real strong. The taste is surprising in the fact that it tastes SO light and weak. Watery to say the least. Flavors are hiding and can't come out. I notice an astringent grainy flavor. The rest are too scarce to notice. Finishes forgetably. I don't know who would drink this. It's not for the calorie conscience nor is it for the true beer lover.

07-29-2003 19:24:24 | More by granger10
TMoney2591

2.23/5  rDev -26.4%

Served in a Walter Payton shaker pint glass.

The normal Beck's has been on sale so long by me that I got this darker cousin in my head. Dammit. Anyway, it pours a dark, clear garnet-russet topped by a short-lived finger of dusty off-tan foam. The nose comprises corn, light musty wheat, and the faintest possible touch of toasted caramel. Something tells me I'm lucky everything's faint, as it might just be offensive if more perceptible. The taste holds notes of mild char, light toasted caramel, hard water, vinyl, grass, and rice. The body is a hefty light, with a moderate carbonation, a watery feel, and a sorta drying finish. Overall, a pretty sad beer, frankly. I compare it to one of those sticky regulars on the pole during Amateur Night at the stripclub: I don't necessarily mind looking at it, but anything involving my nose or tongue just ain't for me...

11-16-2011 03:57:44 | More by TMoney2591
Beck's Dark from Brauerei Beck & Co.