Beck's Dark - Brauerei Beck & Co.

Beck's DarkBeck's Dark

poor

Brauerei Beck & Co. visit their website
Germany

Munich Dunkel Lager |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-07-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beck's Dark Alström Bros
Viperman

The Death of Beck's Dark

I am re-posting this comment because I see that Beer Advocate moved it from Beck's Dark to regular Beck's beer.

It took me a little to realize what had happened; the taste changed like I had gotten a funny batch. Also I started to get a headache, digestive problems and I thought what the hell is going on? After examining the label and realizing it had changed I looked up on my iPhone and to my horror I found that this was now an Anheuser product; brewed in St Louis...

Well that it explained my negative physical reaction. I was stunned. Anheuser Busch products make me physically ill and taste poor.
I was angry that Inbev had botched this and will effectively kill this beer. I will never purchase Beck's Dark again or any "Beck's" product.

So long Beck's...a moment of silence in remembrance please.

08-01-2012 16:52:08 | More by Viperman
jra4177

03-15-2012 02:00:04 | More by jra4177
notabeersissy

Hi all,
Have been a long time Euro beer (mostly German) drinker since the late 60's, I know these days and even back then Beck's was never at the high end of the beer list, but it has always been good choice when nothing else was around or you were lucky enough to find a fresh barrel on tap.

Well a few weeks ago I was at one of the chain liquor stores that happen have Becks reg and dark on sale, so I picked up a few cases of the dark. Then I remembered something about Bud buying out Becks or bottling it for them here.

Now for the important part, I had a bottle of Becks dark and it was pure "PANTHER PISS" the old familiar prune-ish taste was gone. I really do not drink Bud but if I did I would imagine a can of that w/ some liquid smoke poured in. I bought a few cases of this so I figured it may or been a bad bottle or two but tried another and had a few friends over and had them try it. I really do not want to post what as said about the product.

So I guess another brewer went the way of the past selling out there heritage or perhaps just had to get out of the business as they could not keep up w/ all the new crud on the market.

To the board, sorry I'm not well versed enough on posting the characteristics , just called it as I saw it.

Shame on PUD !

01-24-2014 13:37:33 | More by notabeersissy
Uniobrew31

1.18/5  rDev -60.8%

What the hell happened??? This used to be my favorite/ go to beer. I bought it by the case all the time. Never again! This now I guess was bought out by AB and is now brewed in St. Louis. Something is very wrong. It tasted funky, watered down and undrinkable. Thanks AB for ruining another brand. Next time you buy a brewery just leave it alone!!! I will never forgive you for Rolling Rock or Becks Your beer is bad enough. Stop buying good breweries and ruining them!!!

01-05-2013 00:13:59 | More by Uniobrew31
adams82

1.23/5  rDev -59.1%

Pours a deep red, filtered clear, no head.

I'm trying to pick out a smell on this one... sweet skunk comes to mind.

It really doesn't taste like much. Imagine drinking roasted water... At least it doesn't taste as it smells.

Mountfeel is OK, although a little watery and thin though. This has absolutely no character at all and absolutely zero attributes that can save it.

What an awful beer. Note that I did check the "Best By:" date and it was 5-2008, this was not an old bottle.

04-17-2008 00:35:32 | More by adams82

1.25/5  rDev -58.5%

09-08-2012 06:17:12 | More by WynnO
ZenAgnostic

1.35/5  rDev -55.1%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Bottom of back label stamped Best before 05.2012.

Appearance - Pours two finger tan head with decent retention and good stick. Clear very dark brown body.

Smell - Corn and a wet lawn.

Taste - Stale corn and lots of metal. Strong bitter finish.

Mouthfeel - Watery. Almost no effervescence. Astringent and slightly acidic.

Overall Drinkability - This beer is overwhelmingly metallic, bitter, astringent and acidic. I consider all these to be off characters, and this is particularly bad when the beer is otherwise dull, mild or flavorless. All bad characters, not much in the way of good ones past the appearance. This would definitely be a drain pour if it wasn't for the fact that I'd at least like getting a buzz in return for tasting this beer.

11-09-2011 23:37:12 | More by ZenAgnostic
jdhilt

New Hampshire

1.45/5  rDev -51.8%

Pours with a one-finger off-white head that leaves no lace. Deep, clear amber color. Light bodied and very light carbonation. Skunky nose. Starts with a tinny, metallic, skunky taste (what is it with the green bottles??) and has a watery finish. $1.55 for a 12oz. bottle from Colonial Spirits Acton, Ma.

08-15-2004 22:41:47 | More by jdhilt

05-09-2014 22:40:36 | More by XmnwildX12
searsclone

Arizona

1.68/5  rDev -44.2%

I had this poured from a 24oz bottle into a pint glass.

I was in a bar while I tried this, so I don't have much of a review concerning the appearance since it was not very well lit.

The beer smelled like a skunk. I didn't pick up any other smells.

The first half of the bottle tasted to me like what I imagine a well used ash tray would taste like. I don't mean it had a smokey flavor, more rancid and dirty tasting. The second half of the bottle to me had very little taste.

I found this beer to be undrinkable, I did not finish this one.

To be fair, it may have been an out of date bottle, I did not check.

Personally, I will avoid this beer.

04-08-2008 15:31:32 | More by searsclone
SometimesIfart

1.69/5  rDev -43.9%

A - Pours dark copper with a decent sized white head. Left slight lacing.

S - Creamed corn, skunk, rice adjunct.

t - Creamed corn up front with a heavy rice, skunk, and bitter finish.

M - Medium bodied with heavy carbonation.

O - Overall, I'm not here to bash on InBev, I'm here to rate this beer for what it is and it isn't any good.

02-04-2013 21:33:19 | More by SometimesIfart
changeup45

1.7/5  rDev -43.5%

Nothing that I will look for again. First thing I noticed was the skunked aroma, not a great way to start the beer. Dark colored with a thin head and a little bit of lace. Fairly rich flavor but had a tiny, metallic finish. So basically, the aroma is pretty bad, and the finish tastes like metal. Since this smells like a skunk and is the color of one I think I'll stay away.

08-23-2008 21:17:48 | More by changeup45

1.75/5  rDev -41.9%

07-20-2014 16:29:39 | More by Howlader
kenofken

1.83/5  rDev -39.2%

Beck's Dark used to be my favorite all-around go-to beer. It had the perfect balance of malt and hops, that clean crisp lager body, a depth of character and richness. As with most import beers, you sometimes got a batch that wasn't as fresh as it should have been, but it was a very good to excellent product.

Since InBev domesticated it, it's turned into two-dimensional swill. Budweiser with a darker hue and different packaging. I gave the new stuff several chances in recent months, and for a period of time, I was able to compare it head to head with some of the older German-made stock some stores still had in inventory. It's been uniformly disappointing to the point I've given up entirely on it in search of a replacement. I guess they do this because the economics work - shave every production corner you can and drive up margins. It doesn't work for me. I don't drink a lot, so when I do, I want quality, and I'd rather pay a few bucks more if that's what it takes to keep a product authentic and good.

11-05-2013 06:29:42 | More by kenofken
wesclaypool

1.95/5  rDev -35.2%

A favorite of my mom's, so a mother's day review is in order.

a - Stays true to its title, very dark with dark amber/brown color where the light comes through. Pretty decent head upon initial pour, but faded quickly.

s - Not much going on in terms of smell. Standard, crisp lager-type smell.

t - Bitter at first with no real aftertaste. Can't really discern any special flavors that pop out.

m - Thin, crisp carbonation.

d - Not bad if its all you have, certainly drinkable. Wouldn't go out of my way for it though.

Not my favorite, sorry mom. Happy Mother's Day anyway!

05-09-2010 22:25:33 | More by wesclaypool
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

1.98/5  rDev -34.2%

12 ounce bottle - $1.29 at Total Wine & More in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours a clear, very dark reddish-brown body with a moderately-sized, off-white head.

Smell: Initial waft of skunkiness, which is expected in green bottled lagers, but just seems a bit more off-putting for a darker beer. Given a few minutes to gather its thoughts, the skunk has blown off, but now there's another problem -- some repellent metal notes. Trying to sniff around all these problems yields helpless notes of sweet, bready malts and fruit.

Taste: A light taste of dark malts with some grainy tones and a light sweetness. Strong, unyielding metal tones arrive early on -- fairly displeasing. Touch of fruit. More filthy nickels and dimes. Touch of hops and bitterness. Sweetish t-- forget it. This one's a drain pour.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Not recommended at all. Particularly loathsome metallic taste, like tonguing the return coin slot on an old, used vending machine. It's like a cow's eyeball in my soup, I just can't appreciate any other qualities when I this glaring fault staring back at me. Ugh.

07-04-2009 02:21:38 | More by ChainGangGuy
bonbini26

01-11-2012 22:07:14 | More by bonbini26
FreshmanPour77

11-16-2011 18:29:18 | More by FreshmanPour77
Beck's Dark from Brauerei Beck & Co.