Beck's Dark - Brauerei Beck & Co.

Beck's DarkBeck's Dark

poor

Brauerei Beck & Co. visit their website
Germany

Munich Dunkel Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-07-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beck's Dark Alström Bros
3.24/5  rDev +5.9%

From a bottle.

Dark mahogany with very good clarity. Decent head.

Mild aroma with a flavor that is a bit better but also mild.

O: Decent except too mild. (157 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

I grabbed a bottle from my folks' house. The bottling code states it's still good for another couple months. Poured right from the fridge into an imperial pint glass.

L: Pours a cola brown--slightly ruddy at the edges--with about an inch of tan head that dissipates very quickly down to just a weak ring that leaves minimal lacing on the glass. Moderate visible carbonation.

S: A bit of a nondescript bouquet. There's some weak malts, stewed corn, some skunk, and a bit of earthiness in the mix. Not very pleasant.

T: Cracker and bread-like malts up front, along with a bit of cracked pepper. The middle brings on the characteristic flavor of corn, lending the brew some of its sweetness. There are some lemon notes that add tartness that carries into the back end. There's more of the somewhat indiscernible malts at the close, along with a touch of earthiness and skunk.

F: Lighter-bodied, this one drinks a little thin and watery. There's some creaminess to this, but toward the end it started to feel flat. It's a bit tart, but there's no discernible bitter.

O: I know that I've had this beer years ago, and I remember it being better than this. Those adjuncts really come across quite clearly--much more clearly, unfortunately, than any malt or hop flavors. I won't be returning to this one. (1,301 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

When I was younger, a long time ago, this was something "crazy" you bought to be cool. Now, I recognize it for a mediocre beer at best. Some darker malt suggestions separate it from the light BMC pack and may make it more compelling, but it doesn't deliver the flavor or quality that a beer is capable of. (305 characters)

3.06/5  rDev 0%

I have to say that in terms of a Dunkel, Hofbrau is better and as a plain old dark lager, Heineken Dark is better. It smells pretty good, but unfortunately the flavor doesn't quite deliver. (190 characters)

3.26/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

I was looking for a brown ale and this was as close as my local store had. mahogany color. roasty smell. while drinking it, someone next to me asked if anyone else smelled skunk. but it wasn't skunky. good carbonation. I'd buy again if I couldnt find other darker beers. (270 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

$1.49 singles cooler edition.

Appearance (3.5) : Ha. That's funny. Here I thought it was a black label but the honey colored beer along with the green bottle makes it look black. Creative. Anyways there's a pretty tall and creamy head that stands about three fingers. The body is a dark honey/oktoberfest color with about 80% opacity.

Aroma (3.5) : Wheat, caramel toasted malts, some musty grain, and earthy hop. Smells a bit like a Vienna or an Amber. A bit sweet at the end, maybe brown sugar? Not a bad or offending smell, and somewhat complex.

Taste (2.25) : Not good. I can already tell this is probably going to be a drain pour. Some sour malts with what tastes like an old jawbreaker. Old coffee grounds. Malts are a bit toasted but burnt too. Sour and bitter notes that don't really amount to anything. They are just there, and they clash. It just has this burnt flavor. And lots of ugly sour hop. It's really not good at all.

Mouthfeel (3.25) : Mildly creamy, finishes dry. Medium bodied.

Overall (2.83) : If Beck's Premium Lager didn't scare me away from the brewer, this one did. This very well may be my last Beck's beer I ever try. These guys are horrible. Whether you look at it as a dark ale or look at it as a "Dunkel", it's a fail either way. I've had both styles, neither of which this beer represents. It's burnt, sour, earthy, and bitter. Just blech. What's even worse is that it's really the definition of mediocre. (1,441 characters)

A: Very dark brown when it came out of the bottle. On top was a thick finger sized creamy white head that dissipated rather quick with little lacing.

S: Dark roasted grains that are over taken by a bready sweetness, but on the whole the scent is not all I wanted. It was a bit faint and not as robust as I expected from a dark beer.

T: A lot of roasted grains throughout. There are detectable hop flavors, with the higher carbonation at the beginning this is very noticeable, less so later on. While one would expect a slight sweet bread or malt flavor to follow, it hardly does. The tail end is more bitter than I would prefer.

M: Crisp and carbonated at first, as time went on and it warmed, there was a smoother feel but not a rich feel, it was a bit watery for that.

O: This is OK, it is not the most impressive beer in the world but there is no need to disparage it. It satisfies one's desire for a darker beer and certainly can fill the need for roasted flavors. I felt it was not as malty as I would have preferred. Drinkable, I would say nothing to write home about but I am writing about it so go figure. (1,126 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Sampled last night on 5/5/14 and had this one many times before but has been awhile. Used to be imported from Germany but now made by Anheuser Busch. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a handled glass stein.

Pours a very dark amber in color with a lighter tan head that dissipates quickly that leaves some lacing when sipped but not much. Smells and tastes different to what I remember back in the '80's and early '90's even. Aroma is of roasted malts with a hint of brown sugar. Taste is on the weak side and not like I really remember. Overall, disappointed. (596 characters)

Hi all,
Have been a long time Euro beer (mostly German) drinker since the late 60's, I know these days and even back then Beck's was never at the high end of the beer list, but it has always been good choice when nothing else was around or you were lucky enough to find a fresh barrel on tap.

Well a few weeks ago I was at one of the chain liquor stores that happen have Becks reg and dark on sale, so I picked up a few cases of the dark. Then I remembered something about Bud buying out Becks or bottling it for them here.

Now for the important part, I had a bottle of Becks dark and it was pure "PANTHER PISS" the old familiar prune-ish taste was gone. I really do not drink Bud but if I did I would imagine a can of that w/ some liquid smoke poured in. I bought a few cases of this so I figured it may or been a bad bottle or two but tried another and had a few friends over and had them try it. I really do not want to post what as said about the product.

So I guess another brewer went the way of the past selling out there heritage or perhaps just had to get out of the business as they could not keep up w/ all the new crud on the market.

To the board, sorry I'm not well versed enough on posting the characteristics , just called it as I saw it.

Shame on PUD ! (1,273 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 3

12oz. bottle poured into a pint glass ~ had this review written for ages, just never transferred it to here.

A: Not quite opaque dark brown with a light tan head that quickly diminishes to nothing, but leaves respectable lacing. Some mahogany hues shine though with the sunlight.

S: Lots of bready malts, and not much else. A little bit of toasted malt maybe? Mostly clean here... Moving on.

T: Some weird tasting toasted malts... Not a whole lot of hop flavor; it just provides a weak touch of bitterness in the finish. It's not offensive, but there's really not much to talk about here.

M: Really light-bodied and thin with a bit of slickness that finishes a lot like a fountain soda. There's not much here to keep your palate wanting more.

O: I guess Beck's Dark isn't as offensive as it gets, but it's definitely not as good as it could be. There's definitely some good qualities to this brew, but not enough to outweigh the bad qualities. I wouldn't call it offensive, but it's definitely something to stay away from if there's other options. (1,052 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -38.6%

Beck's Dark used to be my favorite all-around go-to beer. It had the perfect balance of malt and hops, that clean crisp lager body, a depth of character and richness. As with most import beers, you sometimes got a batch that wasn't as fresh as it should have been, but it was a very good to excellent product.

Since InBev domesticated it, it's turned into two-dimensional swill. Budweiser with a darker hue and different packaging. I gave the new stuff several chances in recent months, and for a period of time, I was able to compare it head to head with some of the older German-made stock some stores still had in inventory. It's been uniformly disappointing to the point I've given up entirely on it in search of a replacement. I guess they do this because the economics work - shave every production corner you can and drive up margins. It doesn't work for me. I don't drink a lot, so when I do, I want quality, and I'd rather pay a few bucks more if that's what it takes to keep a product authentic and good. (1,017 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -32%

DATE TASTED: October 12, 2013 ... GLASSWARE: Warsteiner pokal... OCCASION: celebrating PSU's unBILLeivable comeback against Michigan--and my son's fifth birthday... APPEARANCE: "dark" velvet black as night body with a brownish roadside snake-colored head; lacing is nonexistent, with a random streak or spot... AROMA: classic Beck's ping/tang hops with a doughy funky roundness; a "dirtier" version of the pilsner...PALATE: slick and oily; lightly bodied with subtle activity at the teeth...TASTE: bready, doughy and slightly malty; light hops do not really add balance or memorability...OVERALL: on the plus side, sessionable and autumnal; on the negative, almost indistinguishable from the Oktoberfest, save the presence of extra doughy malts... (747 characters)

3.29/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A- Pours a medium, chocolate brown in color. Fairly clear in body, but sight through the beer is reduced greatly by its dark color. Larger, 3 finger head forms on top and retains very well. Lacing is good.

S- Light and very similar to regular Becks on the nose. Typical pilsner scent with a hint of skunky-ness. A little bit of bitterness in there, as well as a hint of darker malts.

T- Starts off light and grainy in flavor, before a slight hint of darker malt flavors peaks in for a brief minute. The beer ends with a slight hops bitterness that balances out the lighter flavor of the beer.

M- Rather smooth and drinkable, like most German styles. Lighter in body than most German lagers, but still giving the creamy feel. Low to medium amount of carbonation.

Overall, an underwhelming example of the style, but one of the few you can get almost anywhere in the US. Really no comparison to the same, or similar, beers on tap. (931 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +20.9%

Bought this beer at the local store, having liked heneiken dark so much.
Drank straight from the bottle and had one in a glass.
Very good from the glass, and okay from the bottle. I was expecting it to be stronger but it is very drinkable. Color obviously dark brown and a decent head, taste very similar to the heineken with less cream feel. Very malty and light roast characteristics. Excellent session beer imo. (414 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -3.9%

A: Pours a dark cocopper color , very little head on top.

S; aroma is of a metallic nature with some adjunt in there.

T: Taste is not a great or outstanding thing but of the usual Euro beer leaving a metallic tinge in your mouth. I do taste some malts and that sweet corny adjunt flavoring, but very little else, some very weak hops in there at the back with an Earthy/lemon flavor.

M: I really feel this is a bit watery and thin with ok carbonation.

O: Overall this is not a great beer but not disgusting in any way, just kind of average for me . If given any BMC or this would take this anyday at least this has a taste to it and some flavor. (648 characters)

1.71/5  rDev -44.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

A - Pours dark copper with a decent sized white head. Left slight lacing.

S - Creamed corn, skunk, rice adjunct.

t - Creamed corn up front with a heavy rice, skunk, and bitter finish.

M - Medium bodied with heavy carbonation.

O - Overall, I'm not here to bash on InBev, I'm here to rate this beer for what it is and it isn't any good. (338 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear dark reddish-brown with a foamy tan head that settles to wisps of film that eventually disappear completely. Small dots of lace slowly drip into the remaining beer on the drink down. Smell is of dark malt, caramel, and a skunky aroma that I can only attribute to the green bottle. Taste is tart with dark malt, caramel, and a slight soy sauce flavor on the finish. There is a mild amount of roasty bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty poor beer with some weird aromas and flavors that don't make it pleasant to drink. (636 characters)

1.21/5  rDev -60.5%

What the hell happened??? This used to be my favorite/ go to beer. I bought it by the case all the time. Never again! This now I guess was bought out by AB and is now brewed in St. Louis. Something is very wrong. It tasted funky, watered down and undrinkable. Thanks AB for ruining another brand. Next time you buy a brewery just leave it alone!!! I will never forgive you for Rolling Rock or Becks Your beer is bad enough. Stop buying good breweries and ruining them!!! (470 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -3.9%

Pours a mahogany brown color, slight ruby tint; good clarity for a beer this dark. Creamy, light-tan colored head, leaves surprisingly decent lacing along the glass. Aroma is somewhat faint and kind of weak, hard to pick up on, especially when it's cold. Some astringent metallic notes, toasted caramel malt, floral aromas, and not a whole lot else. The malt is certainly dominant, but the floral element is still obtainable. The taste is lacking a bit as well; slightly metallic at first, but it tends to mellow out over time. Toasted malts and grains, light caramel and toffee flavors which turn to a very slight floral bitterness across the palate. A little bit watered down; carbonation snaps on the tongue to bring out the hops a bit more, but they are still secondary to the Munich malts. The lager yeast is also very detectable on the tongue, especially near the latter half of the brew. Thin body, medium-high carbonation.

Pretty average brew. Not really sure how this one compares to the rest of the Beck's family since I haven't had any others. I'd take this over just about any BMC lager, but I'd still be looking for something else first. (1,151 characters)

Bottle poured into pint glass

Dark amber, with a hue of light brown at the end

Smell: malt

Taste: chocolate, toffee, and faint raisin

Mouthfeel: Smooth!!

Overall, this is brilliant beer! This is smooth and very much a dessert beer like Old Rasputin or Serpent's Stout

I cannot wait to try this brew on draught! (318 characters)

3.38/5  rDev +10.5%

A - dark brownish amber with a thick, dense, brownish head that has decent retention

S - grains, musty, caramel, toffee

T - toffee, caramel

M - medium bodied, smooth, well carbonated

This is a nicely, sessionable beer with decent flavor. It's simplistic and a bit sweet. The musty aroma is off putting. I probably won't buy this beer again, but it was nice once. (366 characters)

Small to medium light tan head quickly falls into a pretty decent lacing above a clear reddish amber colored beer.

Initial skunky aroma is quickly replaced my a light roasted caramel to toffee malts.

Light roasted to almost burnt caramel/toffee taste, there is a slight bitterness within the taste, might be some hops sneaking in although I really can't taste it.

There is a little bit of the light caramel that stick around on this dryish aftertaste. A medium bodied beer that holds a pretty decent but lighter side tastes.

After drinking a regular Beck's this is quite a step up, but I guess making a average beer is way better than making a crap one. (657 characters)

The Death of Beck's Dark

I am re-posting this comment because I see that Beer Advocate moved it from Beck's Dark to regular Beck's beer.

It took me a little to realize what had happened; the taste changed like I had gotten a funny batch. Also I started to get a headache, digestive problems and I thought what the hell is going on? After examining the label and realizing it had changed I looked up on my iPhone and to my horror I found that this was now an Anheuser product; brewed in St Louis...

Well that it explained my negative physical reaction. I was stunned. Anheuser Busch products make me physically ill and taste poor.
I was angry that Inbev had botched this and will effectively kill this beer. I will never purchase Beck's Dark again or any "Beck's" product.

So long Beck's...a moment of silence in remembrance please.

Serving type: bottle (859 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Pours a dark brown color with about a finger of light beige head that dissipates rather quickly. The nose is bready, but there is also something mildly astringent here. The dark malt flavor is present but it is very thin. The finish has a touch of roasted bitterness but the hops are almost non-existent.

This is a bland mass produced European beer which means that it is maybe a step above AALs. (397 characters)

3.18/5  rDev +3.9%

A: Pours a clear very dark amber to medium brown in color with hints of garnet red when held up in the light and moderate amount of visible carbonation. The beer has a quarter finger tall light beige head that reduces to a thin film covering the majority of the surface of the beer with a couple of small thicker patches and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: The dominant aroma from this beer is the malts - dark malts, toasted malts, and some burnt malts. The malts are moderate in strength.

T: Like the smell, the taste of this beer is dominated by the malts with dark, toasted, and burnt malts all present. The beer is neither sweet nor bitter.

M: Light to medium bodied with light to moderate amounts of carbonation. Very light compared to other examples in the style - perhaps a little too light.

O: Pretty easy to drink and well balanced - enjoyable but nothing that stands out. Could easily be a sessionable beer. (973 characters)

Beck's Dark from Brauerei Beck & Co.