Beck's Dark - Brauerei Beck & Co.

Beck's DarkBeck's Dark

poor

Brauerei Beck & Co. visit their website
Germany

Munich Dunkel Lager |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-07-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beck's Dark Alström Bros
3.03/5  rDev +0.7%

12/20/04- Consumed at a relatives house over the weekend.

Appearance- A darker gold pour with a fairly nice foamy head, but light lacing at best.

Smell- Well, it's kind of similar to regular Beck's, except this beer is all about the malt. I still smell grain, but I smell more malt.

Taste- Not horrible for a dark beer. Some sugary dark malt is the main taste.

Mouthfeel- More carbonated than regualr Beck's, but still goes down well. Kinda heavier feel than I expected though.

Drinkability- This wouldn't be that bad of a session beer I guess. Decent brew.

2.15/5  rDev -28.6%

Pours like a root beer; black with soda-like head (large "sudsy" bubbles, unevenly sized, rapid carbonation, head dissipates). Very peppy in the mouthfeel and carbonation. Smells skunked and malty. Taste doesn't mesh well with smell; hoppy and bitter in a bad way. Consistency seems off, like a syrup--similar to some mediocre Czech dark lagers I've had. Maybe it's the style...

Taste is flat and without depth. The drinkability is good, except it sits in the stomach and leaves a thin residue on the mouth that doesn't entice another drink...I don't want to sip again, also, because it tastes like seltzer after half a bottle. Blech. Best aspect of the beer has to be...erm...mouthfeel, which. Zesty. Otherwise poor.

3.05/5  rDev +1.3%

Disappointed from the beginning by paying $3.50 for a bottle after my first two choices on the menu were unavailable. Better than an original Beck's but that's not saying too much. Took an entire dinner to drink one down. Medium hoppiness, okay carbonation and lacing. Not a huge fan of Munich Dunkel Lager style.

3.13/5  rDev +4%

The case states that this is the number one imported beer from Germany. I didn't expect this to be up to usual German standards, and I was right. Appearance is almost black, head is light brown and somewhat creamy. Smell is malty with a bready aroma. Not very complex and somewhat generic. Taste is also malty, good-enough, but not complex or special. I could drink plenty of this, but this is below average by German standards, still this is way better than most imported macros and those of the US.

2.93/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours the color of dark cola, with a small off-white head. Smells of grassy malt, which has a slight roasted smell to them. Taste is also very predictable of the style, grassy alt, slightly nutty roasted malt, nothing spectaculat. THis beer is easy drinking, though, and for the price there are many other beers and styles I would get.

2.06/5  rDev -31.6%

why do they even make dark euro lagers? this crap is nasty, and so is hieneken dark. it has got me thinking, what would budweiser dark taste like? appearance is crap, but it's better looking than regular beck's. everything else about it is crap is well. if you are just getting started on your journey for beer enlightenment i can see how you might like this. if you've already tried plenty of great beers, don't waste your money.

1.51/5  rDev -49.8%

Pours with a one-finger off-white head that leaves no lace. Deep, clear amber color. Light bodied and very light carbonation. Skunky nose. Starts with a tinny, metallic, skunky taste (what is it with the green bottles??) and has a watery finish. $1.55 for a 12oz. bottle from Colonial Spirits Acton, Ma.

3.68/5  rDev +22.3%

I had this in a giant glass stein (1250ml) at the Disney Food and Wine Festival. Dark brown to black with a cap of light brown. This left decent lacing around the glass but nothing out of the ordinary. Vague nut scent with an even less distinguished coffee. Good baking chocolate and coffee flavor. A nice finish with light hops that faded quickly. Smooth effervescent feel with a nice tingly sensation. A nice session beer, great with some sauerkraut covered brats and potato pancakes.

The beer after its escape from the 12 ounce green bottle sets in the glass a somewhat hazy brown color, the head spumous and the color a light tan, lace manages to cover the glass. Nose is mostly malt with a hint of sweet caramel, fresh with the start nicely malted, sweet and the top fair in its feel to the palate. Finish is moderately acidic, the hops light but noticeable, dry aftertaste, drinkable yes.

3.33/5  rDev +10.6%

A frothing off-white head and nice brown body. Detected a bit of skunkiness in the aroma at first- maybe the green bottle curse?

Taste was nutty and caramel- one of those few old school brews I hadn't done in a while that exceeded my memory and expectation.

This is a nice drinkable dunkel.

Historic notes- many years ago-(late 1970's?) a former Miller Brewing Exec, Walter Driskill, became the importer for Becks. His company was Dribeck (Driskill/Becks). In the wasteland of the '70's this was a quality choice.It has changed hands since.

3.1/5  rDev +3%

Beck's Dark was a beer that I used to order in college when I was trying to impress someone. It was imported, German no less, and dark. It didn't hurt that I actually enjoyed the flavor. I'm interested to see what the years (and my newfound enhanced appreciation of good beer) have done to those impressions of old.

Dark brown that becomes dark, reddish copper when backlit with sunlight. The medium tan head isn't quite firm and isn't quite soft. The nose is average at best with some heavily toasted caramel malt and very little else.

The flavor is okay, but is hampered by metallic notes that are too prominent. Again, lightly sweet caramel malt and... I'm thinking. No hops to speak of. The taste score would easily be a half-notch higher if not for that infernal 'sucking on a penny' flavor. The body is both too light and too carbonated.

I'm not sure what I ever saw in Beck's Dark. It's better than many of the other offerings in bars and restaurants and it just might be my pick given the poor overall selection that's out there. It is not, however, a beer that I'll buy for the pleasure of its consumption.

2.61/5  rDev -13.3%

Beck's Dark is a beer that has intrigued me for quite some time. I've been looking and looking at it in several beer stores thinking that I should give it a try. Well, today I finally did. Unfortunately, I was not particularly impressed. Beck's Dark pours deep brown and settles a very dark brown (nearly black) with a light-tan head. It starts with a silky texture and heavy wheat flavor. Then it builds to a full-bodied combination of oats, cream, and spice. Beck's Dark slips off the tongue and leaves a very strong and rather unpleasant aftertaste that coats your tongue for at least a half-hour after the beer is gone. Overall, not a bad beer, but certainly not one of my favorites.

3.45/5  rDev +14.6%

12 ounce bottle, best before dating. Pours dark brown, mollasas in color, off white head, some lacing. Malty nose with some chocolate. Soft chocolate notes on a malty backbone. Some hops come in late to balance the sweetness. Medium body. Fairly dull brew. Better then the skunky lighter version. Better then most macros in a pinch.

2.94/5  rDev -2.3%

Paid: $1.99 for a 24oz. bottle

The appearence of this beer caught my eye where the head was absolutely beautiful, albeit, doesn't last too long.
The smell was really nothing to be noticed; it smelled like a Heineken.
The taste is pretty good, but has a few hints of skunk too it. It wasn't too full like a dunkel should be like Hofbrau or Warsteiner, but all in all is good.
The mouthfeel hints the typical dunkel but much weaker, it's there, kind of.
Drinkability is the same way, It is a pretty normal beer with nothing bad or special, so average.

Final Opinion; I'll probably try it again to make sure, worth the price...

3.09/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours out dark with some hints of deep red. A nice thick almond colored head appeared, but quickly reduced to a thin lace. The smell was difficult for me to place, but seemed to be a little fruity or citrus. Nothing really stood out there. The taste is pleasing, but not as full as I would expect from such a dark beer. It has malty characteristics and a nice hop flavor, but not as expressive as I would like. It finishes with a hint of hop bitterness, but not as strongly as I would expect. The mouthfeel is decent...but not wonderful. I drink this beer occasionally to shake things up. Nothing to drive miles and miles to find, but a worthy offering if you like darker beers. I suppose this is a beer that was almost great...but came up just a little short in most areas.

3.5/5  rDev +16.3%

The pour was a very dark copper bordering on burgandy with a good one inch head that quickly dissapated to a disorganized splotching of white on top of the beer.

The smell was a strange mix of fruit, apricots maybe, and skunk.

The taste started with a quick bite of mild hop spice followed by malt sweetness and finished with a slight caramel tone.

All and all I thought this beer was too thin, but it was very drinkable and refreshing. I could see myself drinking this beer at the lake or by the pool. A great summer time refreshing beer, but not something I would go out of my way to drink.

3.03/5  rDev +0.7%

I was very disappointed, to say the least. I have come to expect less from macros, but my hopes were high when this one was tapped for me. True, there are some notes of roasted malt and maybe even some coffee-type sweetness in the nose, which transfer to the flavor in some capacity, but I had trouble getting this Bier down for some reason. The deep color was one redeeming factor, but in the dorld of Dunkels, there are many that are far superior.

2.5/5  rDev -16.9%

Beck's Dark is highly available and fairly priced, 1.99 a bomber. I picked one up and got what I expected. The apperance is dark with light streaks and a tan head that fades like a soda pop. Smell is roasted malts with grain, fruit tones. The taste was to fruity for me, tasted like a watered down juice not a beer. Felt decent in the mouth, light but with bounce. Drinkable if you don't have much money and you need an average beer. Still much better out there.

3.05/5  rDev +1.3%

Nice looking medium brown, almost red color with a thin off white head. Aroma is a bit toasty, a bit skunky. Not a very impressive beer, but not at all offensive. A bit of grainy, toasty malt and a touch of hops to finish. Mouthfeel is thin, but not too bad.

2.81/5  rDev -6.6%

When I poured this dark lager, the dark-but slightly translucent appearance and modest head was a pleasant surprise. Could I have stumbled onto a quality beer with widespread availability? The aroma was a basic mix of grains and yeasty lager scents. I was neither turned off nor impressed. The beers initial burst of malt flavors tapered quickly into a yeast phase and then a thin and lingering sweetness. I was initially intrigued, but rather put off by the completion of my first taste. The beer was far too thin, and watery for my tastes and I found it to be a chore to finish the pint.

3.22/5  rDev +7%

Pours a clear dark brown brew.

Smell is malty with a fruity smell, also has a grassy grainy scent.

Taste is malty and a bit buttery and bitter. Hay and a bit of fruitiness also are in there.

Mouthfeel is good.

A tasty brew, better than regular Beck's, but there are better German brews.

3.25/5  rDev +8%

Appearance – Dark brown in color with an orangish hue. The head was a decent size and showed good retention.

Smell – The roasted grain wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. There’s also a deep molasses aroma here that intrigues.

Taste – The cheap grain is helped along by some big roasty flavors. The molasses comes out big at the tongue as well.

Mouthfeel – This is hard to describe. On the one hand, the bitter, roasted flavors salivate the mouth and feel huge, whereas the beer itself is rather thin. I’ll call her medium and leave it at that.

Drinkability – I can find a lot better examples of the style, but if you’re in a grocery store with a macro selection and want something dark . . . give this one a try.

2.8/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a murky prune color witha big head that quickly fades.

Smells slightly chocolately, very much like grapes. a little bit like wine.

Initially very little taste. When cold, really more like water than anything i've tried since coors light. Nothing offensive, but definitely nothing worthwhile. As the beer warms, it starts to taste a little bit bitter, which is definitely a welcome change. then hints of chocolate and bittersweetness. still nothing outstanding, but pleasant at least. Doesn't really taste like beer.

thin mouthfeel. I wouldn't buy.

3.1/5  rDev +3%

Appearance: Dark caramel brown with a decently frothy tan head impressed by the length of the retention, lacing still lies rather thin specks. Aroma: European hopping dosage with cooked veggies and darker roasts bringing slight caramel notes not bad. Taste: Much better than I recall Beck's ever tasting, with slight sweet mild chocolate notes and a hoppy cooked veggie finish not bad refreshing and flavorful not bad. Mouthfeel: A bit thin but it's not horrible light to medium bodied nowhere near as watery as a typical American macro. Drinkability: I could definitely buy a sixer of this to watch a football game with has some flavor and character therefore not bad in my book.

3.29/5  rDev +9.3%

Red-brown, clear body with a hissing, lumpy, bone-colored head. Very good lacing. Aroma is yeasty and slightly sour. Mouthfeel is not chewy, but can't quite be called thin, either.

Taste is difficult to pin down. Slight charcoal and hops mix, with the thinnest line of malt sweetness. Not a particularly strong taste.

It's difficult to come up with a great deal to criticize here; at the same time, there's not much to praise, either. This is a mass-produced beer that I would never be angry to see on my table, and that cannot be a bad thing. I wish it were stronger, more complex, and had more body, but that would mean that I would wish it were something other than a mass-produced beer.

Beck's Dark from Brauerei Beck & Co.