Beck's Dark - Brauerei Beck & Co.

Beck's DarkBeck's Dark

poor

Brauerei Beck & Co. visit their website
Germany

Munich Dunkel Lager |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-07-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beck's Dark Alström Bros

The beer after its escape from the 12 ounce green bottle sets in the glass a somewhat hazy brown color, the head spumous and the color a light tan, lace manages to cover the glass. Nose is mostly malt with a hint of sweet caramel, fresh with the start nicely malted, sweet and the top fair in its feel to the palate. Finish is moderately acidic, the hops light but noticeable, dry aftertaste, drinkable yes.

3.35/5  rDev +11.3%

A frothing off-white head and nice brown body. Detected a bit of skunkiness in the aroma at first- maybe the green bottle curse?

Taste was nutty and caramel- one of those few old school brews I hadn't done in a while that exceeded my memory and expectation.

This is a nice drinkable dunkel.

Historic notes- many years ago-(late 1970's?) a former Miller Brewing Exec, Walter Driskill, became the importer for Becks. His company was Dribeck (Driskill/Becks). In the wasteland of the '70's this was a quality choice.It has changed hands since.

3.1/5  rDev +3%

Beck's Dark was a beer that I used to order in college when I was trying to impress someone. It was imported, German no less, and dark. It didn't hurt that I actually enjoyed the flavor. I'm interested to see what the years (and my newfound enhanced appreciation of good beer) have done to those impressions of old.

Dark brown that becomes dark, reddish copper when backlit with sunlight. The medium tan head isn't quite firm and isn't quite soft. The nose is average at best with some heavily toasted caramel malt and very little else.

The flavor is okay, but is hampered by metallic notes that are too prominent. Again, lightly sweet caramel malt and... I'm thinking. No hops to speak of. The taste score would easily be a half-notch higher if not for that infernal 'sucking on a penny' flavor. The body is both too light and too carbonated.

I'm not sure what I ever saw in Beck's Dark. It's better than many of the other offerings in bars and restaurants and it just might be my pick given the poor overall selection that's out there. It is not, however, a beer that I'll buy for the pleasure of its consumption.

2.65/5  rDev -12%

Beck's Dark is a beer that has intrigued me for quite some time. I've been looking and looking at it in several beer stores thinking that I should give it a try. Well, today I finally did. Unfortunately, I was not particularly impressed. Beck's Dark pours deep brown and settles a very dark brown (nearly black) with a light-tan head. It starts with a silky texture and heavy wheat flavor. Then it builds to a full-bodied combination of oats, cream, and spice. Beck's Dark slips off the tongue and leaves a very strong and rather unpleasant aftertaste that coats your tongue for at least a half-hour after the beer is gone. Overall, not a bad beer, but certainly not one of my favorites.

3.48/5  rDev +15.6%

12 ounce bottle, best before dating. Pours dark brown, mollasas in color, off white head, some lacing. Malty nose with some chocolate. Soft chocolate notes on a malty backbone. Some hops come in late to balance the sweetness. Medium body. Fairly dull brew. Better then the skunky lighter version. Better then most macros in a pinch.

2.95/5  rDev -2%

Paid: $1.99 for a 24oz. bottle

The appearence of this beer caught my eye where the head was absolutely beautiful, albeit, doesn't last too long.
The smell was really nothing to be noticed; it smelled like a Heineken.
The taste is pretty good, but has a few hints of skunk too it. It wasn't too full like a dunkel should be like Hofbrau or Warsteiner, but all in all is good.
The mouthfeel hints the typical dunkel but much weaker, it's there, kind of.
Drinkability is the same way, It is a pretty normal beer with nothing bad or special, so average.

Final Opinion; I'll probably try it again to make sure, worth the price...

3.1/5  rDev +3%

Pours out dark with some hints of deep red. A nice thick almond colored head appeared, but quickly reduced to a thin lace. The smell was difficult for me to place, but seemed to be a little fruity or citrus. Nothing really stood out there. The taste is pleasing, but not as full as I would expect from such a dark beer. It has malty characteristics and a nice hop flavor, but not as expressive as I would like. It finishes with a hint of hop bitterness, but not as strongly as I would expect. The mouthfeel is decent...but not wonderful. I drink this beer occasionally to shake things up. Nothing to drive miles and miles to find, but a worthy offering if you like darker beers. I suppose this is a beer that was almost great...but came up just a little short in most areas.

3.5/5  rDev +16.3%

The pour was a very dark copper bordering on burgandy with a good one inch head that quickly dissapated to a disorganized splotching of white on top of the beer.

The smell was a strange mix of fruit, apricots maybe, and skunk.

The taste started with a quick bite of mild hop spice followed by malt sweetness and finished with a slight caramel tone.

All and all I thought this beer was too thin, but it was very drinkable and refreshing. I could see myself drinking this beer at the lake or by the pool. A great summer time refreshing beer, but not something I would go out of my way to drink.

3.03/5  rDev +0.7%

I was very disappointed, to say the least. I have come to expect less from macros, but my hopes were high when this one was tapped for me. True, there are some notes of roasted malt and maybe even some coffee-type sweetness in the nose, which transfer to the flavor in some capacity, but I had trouble getting this Bier down for some reason. The deep color was one redeeming factor, but in the dorld of Dunkels, there are many that are far superior.

2.45/5  rDev -18.6%

Beck's Dark is highly available and fairly priced, 1.99 a bomber. I picked one up and got what I expected. The apperance is dark with light streaks and a tan head that fades like a soda pop. Smell is roasted malts with grain, fruit tones. The taste was to fruity for me, tasted like a watered down juice not a beer. Felt decent in the mouth, light but with bounce. Drinkable if you don't have much money and you need an average beer. Still much better out there.

3.05/5  rDev +1.3%

Nice looking medium brown, almost red color with a thin off white head. Aroma is a bit toasty, a bit skunky. Not a very impressive beer, but not at all offensive. A bit of grainy, toasty malt and a touch of hops to finish. Mouthfeel is thin, but not too bad.

2.78/5  rDev -7.6%

When I poured this dark lager, the dark-but slightly translucent appearance and modest head was a pleasant surprise. Could I have stumbled onto a quality beer with widespread availability? The aroma was a basic mix of grains and yeasty lager scents. I was neither turned off nor impressed. The beers initial burst of malt flavors tapered quickly into a yeast phase and then a thin and lingering sweetness. I was initially intrigued, but rather put off by the completion of my first taste. The beer was far too thin, and watery for my tastes and I found it to be a chore to finish the pint.

3.2/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours a clear dark brown brew.

Smell is malty with a fruity smell, also has a grassy grainy scent.

Taste is malty and a bit buttery and bitter. Hay and a bit of fruitiness also are in there.

Mouthfeel is good.

A tasty brew, better than regular Beck's, but there are better German brews.

3.23/5  rDev +7.3%

Appearance – Dark brown in color with an orangish hue. The head was a decent size and showed good retention.

Smell – The roasted grain wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. There’s also a deep molasses aroma here that intrigues.

Taste – The cheap grain is helped along by some big roasty flavors. The molasses comes out big at the tongue as well.

Mouthfeel – This is hard to describe. On the one hand, the bitter, roasted flavors salivate the mouth and feel huge, whereas the beer itself is rather thin. I’ll call her medium and leave it at that.

Drinkability – I can find a lot better examples of the style, but if you’re in a grocery store with a macro selection and want something dark . . . give this one a try.

2.75/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a murky prune color witha big head that quickly fades.

Smells slightly chocolately, very much like grapes. a little bit like wine.

Initially very little taste. When cold, really more like water than anything i've tried since coors light. Nothing offensive, but definitely nothing worthwhile. As the beer warms, it starts to taste a little bit bitter, which is definitely a welcome change. then hints of chocolate and bittersweetness. still nothing outstanding, but pleasant at least. Doesn't really taste like beer.

thin mouthfeel. I wouldn't buy.

3.1/5  rDev +3%

Appearance: Dark caramel brown with a decently frothy tan head impressed by the length of the retention, lacing still lies rather thin specks. Aroma: European hopping dosage with cooked veggies and darker roasts bringing slight caramel notes not bad. Taste: Much better than I recall Beck's ever tasting, with slight sweet mild chocolate notes and a hoppy cooked veggie finish not bad refreshing and flavorful not bad. Mouthfeel: A bit thin but it's not horrible light to medium bodied nowhere near as watery as a typical American macro. Drinkability: I could definitely buy a sixer of this to watch a football game with has some flavor and character therefore not bad in my book.

3.33/5  rDev +10.6%

Red-brown, clear body with a hissing, lumpy, bone-colored head. Very good lacing. Aroma is yeasty and slightly sour. Mouthfeel is not chewy, but can't quite be called thin, either.

Taste is difficult to pin down. Slight charcoal and hops mix, with the thinnest line of malt sweetness. Not a particularly strong taste.

It's difficult to come up with a great deal to criticize here; at the same time, there's not much to praise, either. This is a mass-produced beer that I would never be angry to see on my table, and that cannot be a bad thing. I wish it were stronger, more complex, and had more body, but that would mean that I would wish it were something other than a mass-produced beer.

2.93/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Been a couple years since I had one of these. Pours a very dark brown, very small head is quickly gone. Very little lacing. Not much to the nose. Medium body that seems a little watery. Faint taste of chocolate and malt, with a slight hop finish. Drinkability is helped by the watered down sensation. Maybe that's to be expected for this style, but I liked these much better a few years ago. Not a bad dark lager by any means, just not what I'm looking for.

3.68/5  rDev +22.3%

This beer looks good in the glass. Nice fine beige bubbles and a little lace. Aroma is slightly skunky from the bottle but that goes away fast, leaving a pilsner-like sweet malt and noble hop aroma. Flavor is pleasingly malty and balanced, with sweet-roasty notes throughout. Finishes with roasted malt and slight bitterness.

The beige head is comprised of medium-sized bubbles and slowly, but inevitably, recedes to a thin strip; there is some lacing adhering to the glass. Black malt (I think) lends the beer a not pleasantly bitter and toasted flavour. I couldn't detect chocolate. Beck's Dark is a bit watery on the palate and has a bitter finish.

I can't complain too much about Beck's Dark but I can't rave too much about it, either.

2.8/5  rDev -7%

Minimal head, but what is does have is made of unusually large, oboxious soda bubbles. That, combined with an oddly familar dark brown color resembling....can it be? The damn thing looks almost exactly like the Coke I had right before it!

The scent is somewhat malty, but mostly a harsh, unpleasent astringency. Not many other reviewers seem to be noting a scent like that, so I checked the freshness date to see if I got an old batch. Nope, nice and fresh, so I guess it's supposed to be like that. I'd say it was chock full of nasty chemicals, but there's that German purity law claim on the label, for what that's worth.

The taste is fairly straightforward. Maybe your fairly standard heavy lager, with an unusual amount of grain in it, and whatever is causing that rancid scent. Honestly, it tastes like someone left a can of Fosters in a drainage ditch for a few days.

Still, better than a lot of more standard pale lagers, and definately better than the normal Becks. Drink it, if your options are thin.

3.35/5  rDev +11.3%

I had a bottle of this at Tuscany’s last night. They don’t have much of a beer selection and I haven’t had one of these for a long time so I thought, why not?

Beer pours a nice dark brown. Not a ton of head or lacing. Beer has a faint roasted malt & coffee aroma.

The taste is sweeter than I remembered. Mostly roasted malt in the taste profile. No real hop presence at all. Mouthfeel was on the thin side. Drinkablity is fine.

I used to really like this beer, but back then there weren’t that many choices. Still, the beer goes good with simple foods like a mushroom swiss burger on toasted black bread.

I sampled quite a few of these during a wedding this past weekend. Pours a dark, charcoal-brown color with a thin white-ish head. Aroma is fainlty of roasted grains and hops. Thin, slightly watery mouthfeel and a less-than-substantial malt flavor. Chocolate and nut are present, but slight, in the flavor. The bottom line is that it's an average, everyday beer: no real flaws, but nothing special here.

2.65/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Tawny brown with a full light tan head, decent carbonation, and no lace. Dark-ish malt aroma a la flavoring. Tastes like dark flavoring; not really roasty as website would suggest. Light bodied and airy.

Nothing more than a dark flavored lager -- a no buy !

Best Before: 04/2004
Tasted: 08/06/03

($5.99 / 6-pack)

3.58/5  rDev +18.9%

The beer pours a dark burgandy color with a nice off-white head. The aroma is typical of a German lager. There are a few small notes of crystal malts. There is little hop aroma. The taste is decent, but nothing to write home about. This is a light bodied beer with a good amount of carbonation. It seems a bit light and watery, but goes down easy. A good party beer.

Beck's Dark from Brauerei Beck & Co.