Beck's Premier Light - Brauerei Beck & Co.

Beck's Premier LightBeck's Premier Light

awful

awful

Brauerei Beck & Co. visit their website
Germany

Light Lager |  2.30% ABV

Beer added by: yeagerbm on 03-30-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beck's Premier Light Alström Bros

I believe it was Travita who shared this wonderful elixir.

The beer pours a very light yellow color with a white head. The aroma is terrible. I get a lot of corn and something that smells like an ashtray. The flavor is just as bad if not worse. Heavy on the adjuncts with no hops at all. Light mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Absolutely awful. (347 characters)

my brother left this in the fridge when he was here visiting . let me say i hate light beer to begin with but this stuff was god awful and for some people to compare this to a nice glass of water clean your faucets water is way better then this mess. only good thing i can say is the becks labal always looks nice . next time i drink becks it will be oktoberfest or becks dark . (378 characters)

1.08/5  rDev -51.1%

12 oz bottle. Pale-straw hue with no head or lacing. Aroma is of apple juice, while body is of Sprite. The brew definitely has a taste because it differs from water. Quite a disgusting drink. Easily it is the worst beer I have ever tried. At least I did not buy it. (265 characters)

1.33/5  rDev -39.8%

My roommate's ex left one in the fridge so thought I'd crack it open and review it. Umm where to start... Two fingers worth of head that disappeared quickly. No lacing. Smell is very musty like a beer glass left over night at the night club. As far as taste, well there really isn't one. Comes down just like club soda almost. Very little taste, no mouth feel but leaves that carbonation tingle in the throat. I can't imagine ever drinking this again and I won't even be finishing this one. (490 characters)

1.35/5  rDev -38.9%

64 Calories? Might be the lowest ever? I could care less.
Pours a yellow/faded gold color and looks a little on the bubbly side. The nose has a skunky edge to it. The flavor is gross. This absolutely tastes like a "diet" beer. Reminds me of sparkling water. This really does not taste like beer at all. The mouthfeel is ridiculous. So thin and watery, it almost disappears before you swallow the drink. I'm really struggling to find any good remarks about this beer. (467 characters)

1.38/5  rDev -37.6%

Becks reminds me of cool German cars, so I thought the beer might be decent. You guessed it, wrong again. A poor pale color with a sad head. The nose is mellow as well as the taste. Real grainy and not much else. Average body but too much carbonation. Not very good.

Wow, did someone really make a 2.5% beer on purpose? Wow... (327 characters)

1.4/5  rDev -36.7%

This will be a short review, mainly because this beer is so short on actual flavor. This is so close to water that I was tempted to put it on ice, no kidding. Becks managed to combine the poor flavor of a non-alcoholic beer with the shortness of flavor of a light beer. I am not one for knocking a beer but this stuff is down right bad. The appearance is an unattractive one, weak head, and next to no color. Smell is not noteworthy by any means, nor the flavor. If your looking for a light beer, look ELSEWHERE! (512 characters)

1.45/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Wow. Not what I expected. I expected a light beer with at least some flavor. This is THE most watered down beer I've ever tasted in my life. The taste isn't bad it's just nonexistant... Totally nonexistant. And the beer actually smells like tap water with a hint of malt. clear golden yellow water with some bubbles. That's all this is. What a waste of $7.99. I feel like such a sucker for buying this. (402 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -32.1%

This beer poured the dullest shade of yellow with an ultra thin light white head, that was gone as quickly as it came with no residual lacing. The smell even in a tulip glass was a barely discernable light toasted malt. It drank like a cold glass of water with just a hint of malt flavor, absolutely no hops to speak off. Mouthfeel was thin and watery with some very mild carbonation. Overall its drinkable like a glass of water is drinkable, there is no enjoyment to be found in this beer. Easily the worst european beer I have ever had, and easily the most boring beer I have ever drank. (589 characters)

1.53/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a pale yellow color, some carbonation, with a small fizzy white head. The nose is grainy, and grassy. The taste is slightly sweet, grainy, and ricy. Light Body, not much going on with this one. Another pretty poor try at a beer, was a drain pour. (252 characters)

1.57/5  rDev -29%

Foamy white two finger head that dissipated in seconds, leaving little cling lace. Color is a 4 on the SRM beer color chart. Smell is a harsh wet corn and malt. Taste is really bad, flavors of wet grain and skunk. I think I run into a bad bottle and will rate again later. Mouthfeel is very watery. I think I could have another if I were really drunk, but I will not have another until I re rate. (396 characters)

1.67/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

I won't joke around much about how many times this bottle uses "64 calories" as some kind of selling point. I'm just going to drink this like its another beer, so on to it:

It's a bit impressive on the pour, pale golden straw colored beer, the head is big and frothy at first, it slowly drops and leaves a few tricles of lacing on the glass. The aroma is odd....smeels like brake fluid or some odd automobile part that needs work. Taste...like having sex in a canoe, and if I need to explain why, you haven't been hanging around beer that much. Not good. Sour grains, astringent, popsickle stick wood....overall the taste is very light on the palate, and last night I had several Bud Light's while playing beer pong. This is even lighter than that. My tongue doesn't want to take this anymore, and since I'm drinking this upstairs in my house, I'm going to dump this out of the window.

I always find light beer to be an adventure, although not necessarily for the better. I just wanted to see how this would taste given its calorie count. (1,041 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -24%

Beck's Premier Light pours a pale yellow with a white head from a green twelve ounce bottle. The aroma is skunky and not very pleasant. Very light flavor, kind of grainy, kind of skunky and altogether unpleasant. I didn't realize until now that this was a 2.3% beer. I can't really imagine who the intended market is for this, it tastes bad and it doesn't have enough alcohol in it to appeal to people just trying to get a buzz or appeal to those who want an na beer. (467 characters)

1.7/5  rDev -23.1%

Appearance - Quite pale yellow. Clear and somewhat bubbly. Soapy white head that quickly dissipates. To style.

Smell - Mild corny, skunky odor. Ugh.

Taste - Not as bad as the smell. However, the flavor is almost indiscernible. Mild corny malt with a watery finish. Dry, if that counts for anything.

Mouthfeel - Watery. Very crisp. Not getting the usual high carbonation.

Overall - I don't want to punish this beer for being of a style I don't much care for. I want to punish it for being quite bad. In short, it stinks and fails to taste like beer. (552 characters)

1.7/5  rDev -23.1%

Looked as any other macro light looks.

Smelled as any other macro light smells, only a bit fainter.

I'm skeptical of any beer that advertises it's nutrition information on the front of the label, and this beer surely did nothing but reinforce that. If you're in the mood for a light beer Bud Light, Miller Light, Coors Light are all well ahead of this in terms of flavor. Watered down would be the understatement of the year.

As much as I dislike American macro lights I understand they have their place, and I do admit I drink them from time to time, but this is the most watered down beer I think I've ever tasted. (625 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -20.8%

Best by 07, 2008:

Pours clear with a straw tinge. A thin white head fizzles away.

The smell is of tonic water, wet cardboard - maybe a hint of grain?

The taste is of tonic water. Maybe there are some washed out hops, as it is not too sweet - but, it's not too anything! Is there any malt here? Finishes...it doesn't...it didn't begin, so can't "finish". Maybe a hint of lime?
Fizzy, watery. Only 64 calories and 3.9 carbs. Who cares! There are NA beers with more flavor..

A neighbor's friend gave me a bottle of this. One bottle was enough... (546 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -20.8%

A - Poured out a very pale yellow color with a small, short-lived head.

S - It smelled of corn and grains. A slight skunky aroma, too.

T - Did not taste skunky, but it didn't taste like much of anything. There was corn and a little bitter bite that might have been caused by a hop or two.

M - It is very thin and very light. At 64 calories, it is very easy drinking.

D - Not much for flavor and incredibly light. Compares to Michelob Ultra except Beck's has more flavor. (474 characters)

1.77/5  rDev -19.9%

12oz light green bottle. Best before date on back label.
It pours a pale pissy yellow with fizzy seltzery bubbles and no lacing.
A grainy husk smell is noticed at first, but then just the smell of mowed lawn remains.
There is no malt body to speak of. A taste of dried hay comes to mind.
There is an edgy metallic back-of-throat bitterness and then a clean finish. You see your empty glass and bottle and wonder to yourself; did I just drink a beer? (453 characters)

1.8/5  rDev -18.6%

Appearance: looks like thin watery apple juice. No head and no signs of life in the glass (no bubbles).

Smell: weak grains, nothing going on...really!

Taste: very poor and feeble, taste is bare. Just some grains and off sweetness to it.

Mouthfeel: super light and a very misty feeling in the mouth/aftertaste. Very drinkable, I guess, compares to water as far as mouthfeel is concerned (incredibly light). (408 characters)

1.83/5  rDev -17.2%

A: Poured from the bottle into a cold pilsner glass, this beer displays a clear yellow-gold hue beneath a rapidly dissipating white mousse.

S: I gave this one several sniffs and couldn't pick up anything. It smells like nothing, almost like water. I just can't seem to find anything there.

T: Actually, this does not taste as bad as many light beers, but that isn't to say that this beer tastes all that good either. Faint traces of grain husks, mineral water, and grass were all I could detect.

M: Thin, spritzy, and extremely light-bodied. It doesn't feel like I'm drinking a beer at all.

O: It's a light beer; what can one honestly expect? I suppose it might not be all that bad after a day of hard labor, but even then I think I'd stick with something a little more substantial. (786 characters)

1.87/5  rDev -15.4%

12oz green bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a pale straw colored yellow with a thin fizzy white head that quickly disappears. The aroma is the grain, a touch of Euro skunkiness and faint spicy hops. The taste is very dry with faint grain and hop flavors. The mouthfeel is on the watery side due to the low ABV, and very prickly due to the high carbonation. Overall, not a horrible beer to drink on a hot summers day when you really don't want to drink a beer with much alcohol content, but for most instances, I will grab something with a little more flavor. (564 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -14.9%

12 oz bottle poured into an American Tumbler. Best By End 08.2009 64 calories...ok.

A - Clear yellow straw that looks like deluded beer. After the pour there is minimal carbonation rising. The effervescent head fizzed out just as it rose. Nothing left over, no lacing, no nothing to even say there was once a head for even a second.

S - Skunk-bomb with graininess and very light hops. The aroma disappears fairly quickly too. Euro Lager smell but disappears so fast I only got two sniffs out of it.

T - Wow. I can't say I've ever had a more watered-down beer. It really does taste like seltzer water with a splash of beer. Even the beer flavor is only grainy straw with a slightly salty finish. It's honestly not offensive but it's probably the most watered-down beer I've ever had.

M - Slick and light with no body what-so-ever. Fizzy is really it.

D - I wonder if this actually beat Miller to the 64 calorie beer. Either way it's still too much. Water has 0 calories and so should this beer cause water is essentially all it is. Not offensive in any way because there is almost nothing there to create offense. (1,117 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -14.9%

Lots of carbonation ... more like club soda than beer. Thin yellow mouthfeel, pale yellow color. For this much carbonation, not much of a head.

Taste is thin, some malts, no real hop flavor, no real fruit flavor ... no real flavor, period. A mild skunky/bitter aftertaste that surprisingly isn't as unpleasant as it sounds.

I can believe the calorie rating on this: it's one step above carbonated water. (406 characters)

1.9/5  rDev -14%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Being that my wife is on a "diet", we picked up a six pack of this for the 4th weekend. Looking at it through the bottle, it looked like water. Pouring it out, I was corrected: It looked like dirty water. The slightest bit of yellow color emerges from the very effervescent beer. The head is actually not bad, expecially since there is basically no body to this one.

No aroma to speak of. Taste was beer flavored water. Lots of carbonation. I could probably drink this instead of water all day during exercise due to its lack of pretty much anything beer.

At 64 calories, this stuff will probably fly off of the shelves. My wife, who is beginning to appreciate the better beers, said she probably wont finish the six pack. I have never been happier! (757 characters)

1.91/5  rDev -13.6%

I am comparing this to regular Beck's as I review this to see how close they came to the regular full power stuff.

Poured in to a glass side by side the regular Beck's the appearance is almost exactly the same. Color and carbonation are exactly the same but the regular Beck's holds on to its head a little bit better.

Smell is quite grainy and similar to a Non-alcohol beer and is distinctly like biscuit. Compared to the Regular Beck's there is no comparison. The regular Beck's has a far superior aroma the big difference being the presence of actual hop aroma in the regular version.

The taste of the light Beck's is dry for a near Non-alcohol beer. Faint grain and yeast flavor and a bit tart at first from the carbonation nothing in here has a flavor strong enough to overwhelm it. The same tartness you get from the first taste of seltzer water. Comparing it to regular Beck's there is no comparison, a clear lack of malt and hops just jumps out at you.

Mouthfeel is sorely lacking. Regular Beck's is far better.

Drinkability is no real comparison. Beck’s light would be a good NON-ALCOHOLIC beer, but is a lousy light beer. Regular Beck's isn't my favorite but I can and do drink it when there is nothing better.

This Beck's Premier Light simply doesn't measure up, it IS better than a Michelob Ultra but it isn't very close to the real thing. (1,370 characters)

Beck's Premier Light from Brauerei Beck & Co.