Beck's Premier Light - Brauerei Beck & Co.

Beck's Premier LightBeck's Premier Light

awful

awful

Brauerei Beck & Co. visit their website
Germany

Light Lager |  2.30% ABV

(Beer added by: yeagerbm on 03-30-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beck's Premier Light Alström Bros
puboflyons

New Hampshire

2.33/5  rDev +6.9%

From a bottle marked: 09.2007-L25669M. I did not look at the date when I bought it. It was in a closeout rack. Now I know why. Still, it pours a very carbonated yellow like it should. The aroma has a skunky maltiness to it but nothing special. The mouthfeel is like water and the taste is bready and grainy. A typical LA.

01-28-2011 22:11:02 | More by puboflyons
socon67

2.33/5  rDev +6.9%

This is a generic light lager. Had a bit of a skunky smell. There is a watery taste; generally why I'm not a fan of light lagers. Its just really bland. It is drinkable, and is light bodied enough for the beginning beer drinker.

Overall I'd imagine there would be better choices than this.

12-26-2010 18:02:03 | More by socon67
beerprovedwright

Georgia

1.5/5  rDev -31.2%

Foamy white two finger head that dissipated in seconds, leaving little cling lace. Color is a 4 on the SRM beer color chart. Smell is a harsh wet corn and malt. Taste is really bad, flavors of wet grain and skunk. I think I run into a bad bottle and will rate again later. Mouthfeel is very watery. I think I could have another if I were really drunk, but I will not have another until I re rate.

12-15-2010 21:28:03 | More by beerprovedwright
Thorpe429

2.28/5  rDev +4.6%

Reviewed from notes. Used to be one of my light beers of choice before being introduced to the wonders of Bell's and Goose Island back in Chicago.

Pours a very light straw color with a moderate white head. Nose is quite faint with some miniscule amount of grassy, floral hops in the background alongside a faint grain presence. Grassy and grainy flavors dominate what is a really, really faint body--you can really tell from the taste that not much went into this brew. Feel is light and prickly. Goes down quite smoothly, and is better than its American comparisons in that it actually would be preferable to carbonated water, at least for me.

10-13-2010 10:29:42 | More by Thorpe429
Nerudamann

Oregon

3.2/5  rDev +46.8%

Look - medium light straw color. One fingers worth of foam. Good carbonation.

Smell - more of a pilsner-like smell, hoppier than it probably should smell like for a light lager.

Taste - pilsner-like smell didn't follow into the taste. As far as light lagers go, this one seems to have a tinsy bit more character, but not much. Kind of a hoppy tasting water.

Mouthfeel - watery texture.

Drinkability - as with most light beers, you could keep going back to this one in the fridge as much as you want, because the taste and filling quality just isn't there, nor is any kind of complexity. A little better than most light beers I've tried.

08-16-2010 03:07:32 | More by Nerudamann
Mora2000

I believe it was Travita who shared this wonderful elixir.

The beer pours a very light yellow color with a white head. The aroma is terrible. I get a lot of corn and something that smells like an ashtray. The flavor is just as bad if not worse. Heavy on the adjuncts with no hops at all. Light mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Absolutely awful.

07-04-2010 23:18:21 | More by Mora2000
nasty15108

2.73/5  rDev +25.2%

Dieting sucks, and for a craft beer drinker, its even worse. Becks lager is drinkable, so I figured I'd give Becks Light a shot.

A - Pale almost clear color. Not much of a head.

S - Slight Euro skunkiness, but not nearly as strong as what you would expect from a Becks. Grainy and slightly sweet.

T - Think half Becks, half club soda. Very carbonated with a slight saltiness.

MF&D - Watery and lacking any real flavor or characther. I guess it is what it is. Even if your trying to be good while dieting, I'm sure there are better options out there.

02-18-2010 01:38:35 | More by nasty15108
Hojaminbag

Colorado

2.58/5  rDev +18.3%

Beck's premier light has a crystal clear, golden colored body and a small, bone-white head. Not retention or lacing.

The aroma is very weak. Just a touch of sweetness and not much else.

The flavor is extremely weak and watered down. However, I detect just a bit (perhaps a mirage on the horizon) of what I think is noble hops. A touch of light malt sweetness also. Really, this beer is mostly water and tastes mostly like water. For a light lager it is about what I would expect, but it is still not a great beer even as low alcohol beers go; the few craft brewers that produce the occasional low alcohol beers do a much better job. However, I don't know if any craft brewer puts out a beer with 64 calories.

Mouthfeel is light and fizzy.

You could certainly suck down a lot of these quickly due to the thin mouthfeel, low ABV and low flavor. Think about cutting a light beer with tonic water and then having a chugging contest; that would be some kind of drinkable right?

12-26-2009 18:41:52 | More by Hojaminbag
HalfFull

2.5/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. green bottle into a pint glass, this beer pours light straw in color and quite clear. A half inch of foam settles to a surface ring in a minute or so.

Nose of very light grain and hops yet reminiscent of other offerings from Beck's to a degree. Taste follows with light notes abounding, or, at least there. This beer does indeed seem diluted to a degree yet seems comfortable in its own body. It is light and has a brief dry close. Feel exceeds its setup as there is some body there.

Seems as though we need a mini-light for these mini-ABV-brews for the caloric fearful amongst us. Then again, not, just go straight to Low Alcohol beers. Pass me a Bud Light please.

At half the strength of regular Beck's I took the liberty to dilute such in half. This beer surely exceeds that mixture and isn't nearly as watered down as others would imply. Still, a thin beer, yet not unexpected in body.

10-18-2009 07:08:39 | More by HalfFull
skullx

my brother left this in the fridge when he was here visiting . let me say i hate light beer to begin with but this stuff was god awful and for some people to compare this to a nice glass of water clean your faucets water is way better then this mess. only good thing i can say is the becks labal always looks nice . next time i drink becks it will be oktoberfest or becks dark .

08-22-2009 13:34:57 | More by skullx
billybob

2.35/5  rDev +7.8%

pours very light straw color half inch head faded as quickly as the beer was poured with no lace. smells like a wet dish rag. taste dry, grainy, corn husk, slight hop note. mouthfeel was light carbonation tight, crisp. not worth the money. pass by this one.

08-03-2009 16:26:13 | More by billybob
BeerFMAndy

1.88/5  rDev -13.8%

12 oz bottle poured into an American Tumbler. Best By End 08.2009 64 calories...ok.

A - Clear yellow straw that looks like deluded beer. After the pour there is minimal carbonation rising. The effervescent head fizzed out just as it rose. Nothing left over, no lacing, no nothing to even say there was once a head for even a second.

S - Skunk-bomb with graininess and very light hops. The aroma disappears fairly quickly too. Euro Lager smell but disappears so fast I only got two sniffs out of it.

T - Wow. I can't say I've ever had a more watered-down beer. It really does taste like seltzer water with a splash of beer. Even the beer flavor is only grainy straw with a slightly salty finish. It's honestly not offensive but it's probably the most watered-down beer I've ever had.

M - Slick and light with no body what-so-ever. Fizzy is really it.

D - I wonder if this actually beat Miller to the 64 calorie beer. Either way it's still too much. Water has 0 calories and so should this beer cause water is essentially all it is. Not offensive in any way because there is almost nothing there to create offense.

07-20-2009 02:23:33 | More by BeerFMAndy
lionking

2.25/5  rDev +3.2%

Pour from bottle into a glass.

About a half of a finger of head which quickly dies. Some good bubble action too. Light golden color. The nose was the typicaly euro-skunk. Taste was bitter but watery in the mouth. This beer started out ok with the look and smell but kind of dies when you drink it. Hey but what do you want for 64 calories and 2.3% abv. A good beer to have if your not drinking for the night!

02-06-2009 00:53:18 | More by lionking
MurphyMacManus

2.85/5  rDev +30.7%

Green bottle into pint glass.

A: Pale gold. No head, even with a hard pour. Minimal lace. A Coca-Cola has better head retention.

S: Sulfur compounds...probably from the hops. I think I smell malt. Maybe.

T: This is not bad. Really. It's nicely balanced between decent malt flavor and a little hop bitterness in the finish. Nothing is particularly strong or aggressive, but it doesn't taste bad at all. Like pilsner-flavored seltzer water.

M: Seltzer water, but this is slightly less carbonated.

D: Extremely drinkable, great thirst quencher. I didn't notice any serious off flavors, and it goes down easy. Something to drink without thinking about it.

01-31-2009 00:34:26 | More by MurphyMacManus
4theluvofbrew

3.85/5  rDev +76.6%

I am grading this beer on a scale, in that, if it said IPA on the side, and tasted like it did, I would give it an "F," but it doesn't, so I am grading based on expectations.

A - Who cares what a beer looks like? - 3
S - I didn't pass out when I smelled it - 3
T -Although not a Becks fan,I think that this stuff tastes good - 4
M - I don't know what this bollocks means - 3
D - Very drinkable, just not a ton of flavor - 5

All you beer snobs, get your heads out of your asses, and rate beers based on expectations. This would be a great beer for a designated driver (2.3 ABV) at a game. The only light beer that I have ever had that was better is Boston Lightship, and that is gone.

I am drinking a Smuttynose IPA as I type this, so can't we all just get along?

12-21-2008 01:19:05 | More by 4theluvofbrew
DoubleJ

1.65/5  rDev -24.3%

I won't joke around much about how many times this bottle uses "64 calories" as some kind of selling point. I'm just going to drink this like its another beer, so on to it:

It's a bit impressive on the pour, pale golden straw colored beer, the head is big and frothy at first, it slowly drops and leaves a few tricles of lacing on the glass. The aroma is odd....smeels like brake fluid or some odd automobile part that needs work. Taste...like having sex in a canoe, and if I need to explain why, you haven't been hanging around beer that much. Not good. Sour grains, astringent, popsickle stick wood....overall the taste is very light on the palate, and last night I had several Bud Light's while playing beer pong. This is even lighter than that. My tongue doesn't want to take this anymore, and since I'm drinking this upstairs in my house, I'm going to dump this out of the window.

I always find light beer to be an adventure, although not necessarily for the better. I just wanted to see how this would taste given its calorie count.

11-30-2008 02:16:07 | More by DoubleJ
Pauly2X

2.58/5  rDev +18.3%

A- Damn near clear with a very light yellow green tinge (0.25 SRM maybe) quarter finger head faded very fast.

S- Grainy malt with just a light hint of noble hops.

T- Aperently the purity law doesn't give any mininum amounts of the 4 ingredients. The one good thing I can say is there's nothing offensive here. This is the remains of what might of been a decent german pils that got watered down, horribly.

M- Very, very light, carbonation isn't as bad as I thought.

D- Well water is drinkable isn't it.

This bad, but not in the "this tastes like piss" sense. There's just nothing here, that includes off-tastes and regular taste. I would pick it over BMC light beers however, as it seems as though Hops were at least within 20 feet of the kettle.

10-08-2008 11:07:11 | More by Pauly2X
Magpie14

1.83/5  rDev -16.1%

Appearance: looks like thin watery apple juice. No head and no signs of life in the glass (no bubbles).

Smell: weak grains, nothing going on...really!

Taste: very poor and feeble, taste is bare. Just some grains and off sweetness to it.

Mouthfeel: super light and a very misty feeling in the mouth/aftertaste. Very drinkable, I guess, compares to water as far as mouthfeel is concerned (incredibly light).

09-17-2008 14:49:22 | More by Magpie14
jwc215

1.73/5  rDev -20.6%

Best by 07, 2008:

Pours clear with a straw tinge. A thin white head fizzles away.

The smell is of tonic water, wet cardboard - maybe a hint of grain?

The taste is of tonic water. Maybe there are some washed out hops, as it is not too sweet - but, it's not too anything! Is there any malt here? Finishes...it doesn't...it didn't begin, so can't "finish". Maybe a hint of lime?
Fizzy, watery. Only 64 calories and 3.9 carbs. Who cares! There are NA beers with more flavor..

A neighbor's friend gave me a bottle of this. One bottle was enough...

06-15-2008 03:06:57 | More by jwc215
cjgator3

1.83/5  rDev -16.1%

12oz green bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a pale straw colored yellow with a thin fizzy white head that quickly disappears. The aroma is the grain, a touch of Euro skunkiness and faint spicy hops. The taste is very dry with faint grain and hop flavors. The mouthfeel is on the watery side due to the low ABV, and very prickly due to the high carbonation. Overall, not a horrible beer to drink on a hot summers day when you really don't want to drink a beer with much alcohol content, but for most instances, I will grab something with a little more flavor.

06-02-2008 02:25:25 | More by cjgator3
berserker256

1.45/5  rDev -33.5%

Wow. Not what I expected. I expected a light beer with at least some flavor. This is THE most watered down beer I've ever tasted in my life. The taste isn't bad it's just nonexistant... Totally nonexistant. And the beer actually smells like tap water with a hint of malt. clear golden yellow water with some bubbles. That's all this is. What a waste of $7.99. I feel like such a sucker for buying this.

05-17-2008 16:30:54 | More by berserker256
rye726

Colorado

1.35/5  rDev -38.1%

Becks reminds me of cool German cars, so I thought the beer might be decent. You guessed it, wrong again. A poor pale color with a sad head. The nose is mellow as well as the taste. Real grainy and not much else. Average body but too much carbonation. Not very good.

Wow, did someone really make a 2.5% beer on purpose? Wow...

05-15-2008 04:05:22 | More by rye726
bwmc

Indiana

1.35/5  rDev -38.1%

My roommate's ex left one in the fridge so thought I'd crack it open and review it. Umm where to start... Two fingers worth of head that disappeared quickly. No lacing. Smell is very musty like a beer glass left over night at the night club. As far as taste, well there really isn't one. Comes down just like club soda almost. Very little taste, no mouth feel but leaves that carbonation tingle in the throat. I can't imagine ever drinking this again and I won't even be finishing this one.

03-10-2008 05:23:06 | More by bwmc
getch

2.78/5  rDev +27.5%

a-clear golden color, no foam no residue on the glass, borning

s-becks smell, I do like the small compared to a miller light, or a bud light

t- more flavor than a miller or bud, if had to watch my weight, this would be a beer I would drink

m-very smooth

d-could drink alot but with such a ABV of 2.3 it would not get me fair.

02-01-2008 01:39:39 | More by getch
Vancer

2.63/5  rDev +20.6%

Popping this one for a review, as I got a sixer. Now, I’m reviewing as a LIGHT beer, as advertised.

Pour is a very clean, but very light straw with a decent white head that dies quickly. Aroma is the typical euro skunk and veggies – and it has a faily pronounced kick of those.

The taste of the euro style pilsner is actually pretty good, the big drawback is with the low alcohol comes the watered down body – fairly lifeless.

If you HAVE to drink low calorie, here ya go – otherwise, get the real deal.

01-19-2008 20:24:35 | More by Vancer
Beck's Premier Light from Brauerei Beck & Co.