Beck's Premier Light - Brauerei Beck & Co.

Beck's Premier LightBeck's Premier Light

Brauerei Beck & Co. visit their website

Light Lager |  2.30% ABV

Beer added by: yeagerbm on 03-30-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beck's Premier Light Alström Bros
2.48/5  rDev +12.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. green bottle into a pint glass, this beer pours light straw in color and quite clear. A half inch of foam settles to a surface ring in a minute or so.

Nose of very light grain and hops yet reminiscent of other offerings from Beck's to a degree. Taste follows with light notes abounding, or, at least there. This beer does indeed seem diluted to a degree yet seems comfortable in its own body. It is light and has a brief dry close. Feel exceeds its setup as there is some body there.

Seems as though we need a mini-light for these mini-ABV-brews for the caloric fearful amongst us. Then again, not, just go straight to Low Alcohol beers. Pass me a Bud Light please.

At half the strength of regular Beck's I took the liberty to dilute such in half. This beer surely exceeds that mixture and isn't nearly as watered down as others would imply. Still, a thin beer, yet not unexpected in body.

my brother left this in the fridge when he was here visiting . let me say i hate light beer to begin with but this stuff was god awful and for some people to compare this to a nice glass of water clean your faucets water is way better then this mess. only good thing i can say is the becks labal always looks nice . next time i drink becks it will be oktoberfest or becks dark .

2.33/5  rDev +5.9%

pours very light straw color half inch head faded as quickly as the beer was poured with no lace. smells like a wet dish rag. taste dry, grainy, corn husk, slight hop note. mouthfeel was light carbonation tight, crisp. not worth the money. pass by this one.

1.88/5  rDev -14.5%

12 oz bottle poured into an American Tumbler. Best By End 08.2009 64 calories...ok.

A - Clear yellow straw that looks like deluded beer. After the pour there is minimal carbonation rising. The effervescent head fizzed out just as it rose. Nothing left over, no lacing, no nothing to even say there was once a head for even a second.

S - Skunk-bomb with graininess and very light hops. The aroma disappears fairly quickly too. Euro Lager smell but disappears so fast I only got two sniffs out of it.

T - Wow. I can't say I've ever had a more watered-down beer. It really does taste like seltzer water with a splash of beer. Even the beer flavor is only grainy straw with a slightly salty finish. It's honestly not offensive but it's probably the most watered-down beer I've ever had.

M - Slick and light with no body what-so-ever. Fizzy is really it.

D - I wonder if this actually beat Miller to the 64 calorie beer. Either way it's still too much. Water has 0 calories and so should this beer cause water is essentially all it is. Not offensive in any way because there is almost nothing there to create offense.

2.3/5  rDev +4.5%

Pour from bottle into a glass.

About a half of a finger of head which quickly dies. Some good bubble action too. Light golden color. The nose was the typicaly euro-skunk. Taste was bitter but watery in the mouth. This beer started out ok with the look and smell but kind of dies when you drink it. Hey but what do you want for 64 calories and 2.3% abv. A good beer to have if your not drinking for the night!

2.8/5  rDev +27.3%

Green bottle into pint glass.

A: Pale gold. No head, even with a hard pour. Minimal lace. A Coca-Cola has better head retention.

S: Sulfur compounds...probably from the hops. I think I smell malt. Maybe.

T: This is not bad. Really. It's nicely balanced between decent malt flavor and a little hop bitterness in the finish. Nothing is particularly strong or aggressive, but it doesn't taste bad at all. Like pilsner-flavored seltzer water.

M: Seltzer water, but this is slightly less carbonated.

D: Extremely drinkable, great thirst quencher. I didn't notice any serious off flavors, and it goes down easy. Something to drink without thinking about it.

3.8/5  rDev +72.7%

I am grading this beer on a scale, in that, if it said IPA on the side, and tasted like it did, I would give it an "F," but it doesn't, so I am grading based on expectations.

A - Who cares what a beer looks like? - 3
S - I didn't pass out when I smelled it - 3
T -Although not a Becks fan,I think that this stuff tastes good - 4
M - I don't know what this bollocks means - 3
D - Very drinkable, just not a ton of flavor - 5

All you beer snobs, get your heads out of your asses, and rate beers based on expectations. This would be a great beer for a designated driver (2.3 ABV) at a game. The only light beer that I have ever had that was better is Boston Lightship, and that is gone.

I am drinking a Smuttynose IPA as I type this, so can't we all just get along?

1.67/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

I won't joke around much about how many times this bottle uses "64 calories" as some kind of selling point. I'm just going to drink this like its another beer, so on to it:

It's a bit impressive on the pour, pale golden straw colored beer, the head is big and frothy at first, it slowly drops and leaves a few tricles of lacing on the glass. The aroma is odd....smeels like brake fluid or some odd automobile part that needs work. Taste...like having sex in a canoe, and if I need to explain why, you haven't been hanging around beer that much. Not good. Sour grains, astringent, popsickle stick wood....overall the taste is very light on the palate, and last night I had several Bud Light's while playing beer pong. This is even lighter than that. My tongue doesn't want to take this anymore, and since I'm drinking this upstairs in my house, I'm going to dump this out of the window.

I always find light beer to be an adventure, although not necessarily for the better. I just wanted to see how this would taste given its calorie count.

2.57/5  rDev +16.8%

A- Damn near clear with a very light yellow green tinge (0.25 SRM maybe) quarter finger head faded very fast.

S- Grainy malt with just a light hint of noble hops.

T- Aperently the purity law doesn't give any mininum amounts of the 4 ingredients. The one good thing I can say is there's nothing offensive here. This is the remains of what might of been a decent german pils that got watered down, horribly.

M- Very, very light, carbonation isn't as bad as I thought.

D- Well water is drinkable isn't it.

This bad, but not in the "this tastes like piss" sense. There's just nothing here, that includes off-tastes and regular taste. I would pick it over BMC light beers however, as it seems as though Hops were at least within 20 feet of the kettle.

1.8/5  rDev -18.2%

Appearance: looks like thin watery apple juice. No head and no signs of life in the glass (no bubbles).

Smell: weak grains, nothing going on...really!

Taste: very poor and feeble, taste is bare. Just some grains and off sweetness to it.

Mouthfeel: super light and a very misty feeling in the mouth/aftertaste. Very drinkable, I guess, compares to water as far as mouthfeel is concerned (incredibly light).

1.75/5  rDev -20.5%

Best by 07, 2008:

Pours clear with a straw tinge. A thin white head fizzles away.

The smell is of tonic water, wet cardboard - maybe a hint of grain?

The taste is of tonic water. Maybe there are some washed out hops, as it is not too sweet - but, it's not too anything! Is there any malt here? Finishes...it doesn't...it didn't begin, so can't "finish". Maybe a hint of lime?
Fizzy, watery. Only 64 calories and 3.9 carbs. Who cares! There are NA beers with more flavor..

A neighbor's friend gave me a bottle of this. One bottle was enough...

1.87/5  rDev -15%

12oz green bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a pale straw colored yellow with a thin fizzy white head that quickly disappears. The aroma is the grain, a touch of Euro skunkiness and faint spicy hops. The taste is very dry with faint grain and hop flavors. The mouthfeel is on the watery side due to the low ABV, and very prickly due to the high carbonation. Overall, not a horrible beer to drink on a hot summers day when you really don't want to drink a beer with much alcohol content, but for most instances, I will grab something with a little more flavor.

1.45/5  rDev -34.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Wow. Not what I expected. I expected a light beer with at least some flavor. This is THE most watered down beer I've ever tasted in my life. The taste isn't bad it's just nonexistant... Totally nonexistant. And the beer actually smells like tap water with a hint of malt. clear golden yellow water with some bubbles. That's all this is. What a waste of $7.99. I feel like such a sucker for buying this.

1.38/5  rDev -37.3%

Becks reminds me of cool German cars, so I thought the beer might be decent. You guessed it, wrong again. A poor pale color with a sad head. The nose is mellow as well as the taste. Real grainy and not much else. Average body but too much carbonation. Not very good.

Wow, did someone really make a 2.5% beer on purpose? Wow...

1.33/5  rDev -39.5%

My roommate's ex left one in the fridge so thought I'd crack it open and review it. Umm where to start... Two fingers worth of head that disappeared quickly. No lacing. Smell is very musty like a beer glass left over night at the night club. As far as taste, well there really isn't one. Comes down just like club soda almost. Very little taste, no mouth feel but leaves that carbonation tingle in the throat. I can't imagine ever drinking this again and I won't even be finishing this one.

2.8/5  rDev +27.3%

a-clear golden color, no foam no residue on the glass, borning

s-becks smell, I do like the small compared to a miller light, or a bud light

t- more flavor than a miller or bud, if had to watch my weight, this would be a beer I would drink

m-very smooth

d-could drink alot but with such a ABV of 2.3 it would not get me fair.

2.67/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Popping this one for a review, as I got a sixer. Now, I’m reviewing as a LIGHT beer, as advertised.

Pour is a very clean, but very light straw with a decent white head that dies quickly. Aroma is the typical euro skunk and veggies – and it has a faily pronounced kick of those.

The taste of the euro style pilsner is actually pretty good, the big drawback is with the low alcohol comes the watered down body – fairly lifeless.

If you HAVE to drink low calorie, here ya go – otherwise, get the real deal.

1.4/5  rDev -36.4%

This will be a short review, mainly because this beer is so short on actual flavor. This is so close to water that I was tempted to put it on ice, no kidding. Becks managed to combine the poor flavor of a non-alcoholic beer with the shortness of flavor of a light beer. I am not one for knocking a beer but this stuff is down right bad. The appearance is an unattractive one, weak head, and next to no color. Smell is not noteworthy by any means, nor the flavor. If your looking for a light beer, look ELSEWHERE!

1.88/5  rDev -14.5%

Lots of carbonation ... more like club soda than beer. Thin yellow mouthfeel, pale yellow color. For this much carbonation, not much of a head.

Taste is thin, some malts, no real hop flavor, no real fruit flavor ... no real flavor, period. A mild skunky/bitter aftertaste that surprisingly isn't as unpleasant as it sounds.

I can believe the calorie rating on this: it's one step above carbonated water.

3.25/5  rDev +47.7%

My favorite light beer.

Pours a clear yellow color with little head retention. Smell is of honey mixing with a hint of sweet malt. The taste is mellow and crisp. Sweet with a slight dry flavor profile in the end. Very clean flavor and refreshing. A great beer when you only want to chill and have one.

2.6/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Very pale in color with no head if any. Typical cooked corn/syrupy aroma that's somewhat sweet. Taste is much of the same except that it's almost bland and seltzer-like. Not sure if this can be called beer but I guess I could put it a bit above typical american light lagers.

1.97/5  rDev -10.5%

I'm not entirely sure that this qualifies as "beer," per se. The most distinctive characteristic is definitely "seltzer," to the point where my girlfriend commented that, upon hearing its dismal abv, you could simply "cut" Coors light with seltzer to produce something akin to Beck's Premier. That being said, however, I've grown oddly fond of the concotion. It inspired me to make a dive to my local distributor to find a bottle of Anchor's Small Beer, which, alas, they did not have. The taste, of course, is nil, though it's oddly refreshing as a water drink, rather than a beer. What caught my interest, however, is the uniquely low alcohol content. Not quite an NA beer, but almost half the alcohol content of most lights, this is something of its own class. Smirinoff "Pure" comes to mind? Anyhow, it's appearance, nose, mouthfeel, and taste are so lacking its not really worth dignifying with a description. I am going to give it a "3" for Drinkability, though, because I honestly believe that this is a great utility beer. It's remarkable for, say, family functions where the possibility of embarassing oneself in front of Aunt Gertrude is ever-looming as a direct result of a mountain of free beers and, lets be honest, not much else to do. The same goes for tailgating when you actually want to remember the game or concert, etc. It's the ultimate in session..."beverages"...for the sessions with friends, family, and colleagues of the Coors Light & Labatt's set, aka, America.

2.27/5  rDev +3.2%

Found this in the back of the fridge, and decided to give it a go. The verdict: to each his/her own, but to me, this is very much beery soda water. A shame.

Appearance: a lemony seltzery pour. Very little to nonexistent head, barely lacing the glass.
Taste: like a black & tan, but with light beer and soda water.
Mouthfeel: thin, but drinkable.
Drinkability: due to the thin and lightness, drinkability is fair.

Poured a medium straw hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was decent retention and lacing.

The smell featured a light upfront noble hop spice with a light grainy malt.

The taste was light and shallow with some hop spice. Some doughiness toward the finish.

The mouthfeel was thin and crisp.

Overall a good and highly drinkable light beer. More flavor than I expected.

2.03/5  rDev -7.7%

Nostalgia aside, can this beer be rated in a glass? I can't recall pouring this beer before. Here goes... short-lived, thin head in a willibecker...tawny yellow color...aroma is pleasantly mass-produced...flat, faux malt appeal...for a light, it offers a pinch of taste and no aftertaste--a "hammer me" beer if there was one...still, that magic number 64 (calories) is apparently as magical for Beck & Co. as it is for the Wu-Tang Clan...

Beck's Premier Light from Brauerei Beck & Co.