Beck's - Brauerei Beck & Co.

Beck'sBeck's

poor

poor

pDev: 24%
Brauerei Beck & Co. visit their website
Germany

German Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 02-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beck's Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,877 | Reviews: 691
4.1/5  rDev +49.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Interestingly enough, bought a 6-pack after watching the episode of Kenny vs. Spenny: Who Can Drink More Beer, and this was their beer of choice. Those crazy Canadians!
It's definitely not very filling so you could down a 6-pack or more pretty easily. It's carbonated, skunky, and sweet, much like a Heineken, but for a couple bucks less and with some fancy silver lining on the neck. So, as a fan of skunky beers, I, my nose, and my taste buds approve. Only thing is, this stuff isn't actually imported from Germany but now brewed at AB in StL? Another green-bottle beer bites the dust. Prost.

2.96/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours a clear, pale yellow,short lived, white head. Aroma of malt, grain and grass. Grass flavour with grain, malt and a slightly dry, bitter, hoppy finish.

Gets the job done..
Not offensive in any way.

4.07/5  rDev +48%

why all the bad reviews?

2.07/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

What a disappointment now that it is being brewed in St. Louis. I tried a six pack and it tasted flat. I thought I got a bad batch, until I tried another six pack. Same thing - flat and limp taste. Not like the German version. Way to screw up a good beer Budweiser.

First high end beer I ever drank after a steady diet of BEAST growing up, so it will always hold a dear spot in my nostalgic heart.

2.05/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

2015-06-12
330ml bottle carried here from Germany in a friend's suitcase. Date on the label is 10.2015 L077514T. Served in a pint glass.

Pours crystal clear golden/yellow, small head, lots of carbonation. Smells bad. Skunky. Piss.

Taste is not as bad as the aroma (thank God). A little malt liquory sweetness, lots of lager. Fairly bland. A little grassy.

Mouthfeel is light, dry, and overcarbonated. Overall, I'm never buying a Beck's. Ever.

1.91/5  rDev -30.5%

I was told by a few beer drinkers to guve it a try. I was very disappointed with the smell it smells like a real skunk

2.5/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

From carrefour. Boring stuff. Not bad but average. Easy to forget.

1.68/5  rDev -38.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Really just a bland, boring beer. Better than Bud when you're looking for that cheap upgrade.

1.8/5  rDev -34.5%

Used to be my default go-to German lager, since it is widely available here. Within the past year I noted it is now produced in the USA (probably by Budweiser) vs. Imported from Germany and the taste has suffered considerably. I lived in China years ago and the Beck's produced there was better than the German imports, so it can be done outside Germany.

3.95/5  rDev +43.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

Solid, medium taste, brings up fast but not last so long. Good smell. One of my favourite beers.

3.43/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Some metallic feel in aroma & taste still well ballanced with stable quality

3.5/5  rDev +27.3%

Decent and a good change of pace from the usual beers I drink.

3.59/5  rDev +30.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

L: I would give this a 1-2 on the SRM chart. A very pale straw-like color, not unattractive in appearance. It is crystal clear with a light yellow tint similar to what a a glass of spring water with a drop of yellow food coloring in it might look like. It's pretty in its own way. A tooth white foamy head that pours to an inch and is gone in about a minute.

S: There is an initial skunky/sulfury smell which is actually kind of allowable for the type - according to the experts. After that I would say a metallic presence is definitely noticeable. There is a mild breadiness and some very light tangerine and plum aromas - very light IMO. There is also a mild smell that reminds me of sweat on a woman's forearm - always pleasant memories associated with that. :)

T: There is a definite hopiness like thew tartness of a lime or grapefruit along with a darker toastiness and some mild coniferous under-notes - like cedar. The style guidelines say "crisp & bitter", I would say that is accurate here and not unpleasant. Although here are metallic aromas there are no metallic flavors.

F: It has a medium light body with some carbonation, but nothing up front.

O: Times change. I can remember when my parents had parties and when somebody showed up with Beck's they had brought "the good stuff". I still like Beck's but after all the micro brew gems I had for years at home and at great beer bars - like Eli Cannon's Tap Room in Middletown, Connecticut; I realize Beck's has a lot of competition. Is is better than ur standard back yard BBQ fare? Yes. That said it brings back great memories of my parents parties and those at relatives' and family friends' houses when I was a kid. Would it be my first choice, no. If someone asked me for something tasting kinda like your standard cheap beer that's a little better this would be one. Cheers.

Bottled in Feb 13 2015 - held up well. This is a good German lager that follows the reinheitsgebot law for purity. A nice well made balanced beer. Hint of malt sweetness balanced by hop bitterness on the finish. I have always liked this beer and find it a refreshing summer beer.

3.26/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

very light tasting and not a whole lot going on.

2.76/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

As a Michigan boy i have to respect beck's. However, it is not a very complicated beer. It is easy to drink but does not have many distinct flavors.

1.24/5  rDev -54.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Can't get past the stench.

4.76/5  rDev +73.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Good German lager Like it

1.51/5  rDev -45.1%

Horrible beer now brewed in St. Louis although the U.S. label claims "German purity". It smells like skunk and has a bitter, overpowering taste and leaves a dry aftertaste in my mouth. I was disappointed and mad when I spent more money for this beer and tried it for the first time. I couldn't even get past the few sips I was able to force myself to drink. This shouldn't be marketed in the U.S. as a quality German beer. Never again.

Crisp, refreshing, bitter finish, really well balanced German pilsner. An overall great drinkable beer. Not sure why such a low rating on the site.

3.74/5  rDev +36%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

16oz canned version:
This is a good German Pilsener-Euro lager, and in some ways, its slightly better than Heineken and Stella Artois. Even though this is the American version, its still good. I Paid only $3.99 for a 4pk of 16oz cans, no skunkiness and tasted nice and fresh. The best thing about this is there's no corn and no rice adjuncts.

2.25/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Not much to say about this that is enticing.

4.06/5  rDev +47.6%

This is a good beer.

Beck's from Brauerei Beck & Co.