Beck's - Brauerei Beck & Co.

Beck'sBeck's

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 02-18-2002

to view more.
Ratings: 1,854 | Reviews: 679
3.43/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Some metallic feel in aroma & taste still well ballanced with stable quality

3.5/5  rDev +27.3%

Decent and a good change of pace from the usual beers I drink.

3.59/5  rDev +30.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

L: I would give this a 1-2 on the SRM chart. A very pale straw-like color, not unattractive in appearance. It is crystal clear with a light yellow tint similar to what a a glass of spring water with a drop of yellow food coloring in it might look like. It's pretty in its own way. A tooth white foamy head that pours to an inch and is gone in about a minute.

S: There is an initial skunky/sulfury smell which is actually kind of allowable for the type - according to the experts. After that I would say a metallic presence is definitely noticeable. There is a mild breadiness and some very light tangerine and plum aromas - very light IMO. There is also a mild smell that reminds me of sweat on a woman's forearm - always pleasant memories associated with that. :)

T: There is a definite hopiness like thew tartness of a lime or grapefruit along with a darker toastiness and some mild coniferous under-notes - like cedar. The style guidelines say "crisp & bitter", I would say that is accurate here and not unpleasant. Although here are metallic aromas there are no metallic flavors.

F: It has a medium light body with some carbonation, but nothing up front.

O: Times change. I can remember when my parents had parties and when somebody showed up with Beck's they had brought "the good stuff". I still like Beck's but after all the micro brew gems I had for years at home and at great beer bars - like Eli Cannon's Tap Room in Middletown, Connecticut; I realize Beck's has a lot of competition. Is is better than ur standard back yard BBQ fare? Yes. That said it brings back great memories of my parents parties and those at relatives' and family friends' houses when I was a kid. Would it be my first choice, no. If someone asked me for something tasting kinda like your standard cheap beer that's a little better this would be one. Cheers.

Bottled in Feb 13 2015 - held up well. This is a good German lager that follows the reinheitsgebot law for purity. A nice well made balanced beer. Hint of malt sweetness balanced by hop bitterness on the finish. I have always liked this beer and find it a refreshing summer beer.

3.26/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

very light tasting and not a whole lot going on.

2.76/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

As a Michigan boy i have to respect beck's. However, it is not a very complicated beer. It is easy to drink but does not have many distinct flavors.

1.24/5  rDev -54.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Can't get past the stench.

4.76/5  rDev +73.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Good German lager Like it

1.51/5  rDev -45.1%

Horrible beer now brewed in St. Louis although the U.S. label claims "German purity". It smells like skunk and has a bitter, overpowering taste and leaves a dry aftertaste in my mouth. I was disappointed and mad when I spent more money for this beer and tried it for the first time. I couldn't even get past the few sips I was able to force myself to drink. This shouldn't be marketed in the U.S. as a quality German beer. Never again.

Crisp, refreshing, bitter finish, really well balanced German pilsner. An overall great drinkable beer. Not sure why such a low rating on the site.

3.74/5  rDev +36%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

16oz canned version:
This is a good German Pilsener-Euro lager, and in some ways, its slightly better than Heineken and Stella Artois. Even though this is the American version, its still good. I Paid only $3.99 for a 4pk of 16oz cans, no skunkiness and tasted nice and fresh. The best thing about this is there's no corn and no rice adjuncts.

2.25/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Not much to say about this that is enticing.

4.06/5  rDev +47.6%

This is a good beer.

2.29/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Poured into pint glass from bottle. Aggressive pour shows two fingers eggshell froth, with fair retention and some spotty lacing. Clear and light straw in color. Light, yet very metallic aromas. Very little complexity. Tastes somewhat skunky, not really picking up much in terms of noble hops. Quite base. Mouthfeel is watery, with light carbonation and a metallic finish, much like sucking on a penny. I was quite disappointed with this beer. I thought it was from Germany--nope, St. Louis. This does not taste much at all like a standard pilsner. I'm willing to bet the version made in Germany tastes quite different, and I wish I could differentiate it on BA from the American brewery. The only one listed (that I can find) is German, and this is definitely not. So are reviewers in Germany rating a completely different beer? If anyone knows, please message me--I'm confused. Bought on sale for less than $1/bottle. Even for same price, will not buy again.

3.77/5  rDev +37.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer is better than all the Budweisers, millers, foster of the world.

I used stay in Los angeles sometime back, my staple used to be Gordon Biersch blonde bock, used be a very nice beer with excellent body, color and taste, slightly stronger, but then bock' are meant to be that way. Becks was my other favorite different beer styles but fantastic in it's own right. I haven't tasted a better lager than becks, but then i haven't been to Germany.

4.32/5  rDev +57.1%

The beer has a bit of a sulfur smell, and is bitter, but I like it, and its distinct flavor. Again, I think in a blind taste test it would do better.

3.84/5  rDev +39.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Clear, pale straw appearance with a thin white head. Shows good carbonation. Light aroma of bready malts and some grassy hops. Slight hint of skunkiness that disappeared quickly. Taste is of mild malts and hops with a nice lemon quality. Nice bit of bitterness on the finish. Good, mild-medium body. Finishes rather dry. Crisp and refreshing. Overall, a quality beer. It's approachable and more interesting than many other more mainstream beers.

12 oz bottle
Bottle Code: 15024 (I'm assuming this is a bottled on date - January 24, 2015)
Served in a Pilsner glass
Product of USA

3.47/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A German style lager, quite weak in taste, and very cheap. However, it still beats most local beers here in Finland by its competetive price and taste. An all-around "drinking" beer.

2.85/5  rDev +3.6%

Very inoffensive, nearly tasteless, not too carbonated beer. It's a decent cheap option if on sale and in my opinion better than a Bud Light or Miller but not good enough to justify buying it if it's significantly more than those options. This is a real "drinking" beer.

2.93/5  rDev +6.5%

For me it is one step up from fosters, heiniken, miller and bud. Nothing special but better than some of the other global brands. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy Beck's again but in a tight spot or given to me I would happily drink and enjoy it. It's just an ok, decent pilsner i guess.

1.62/5  rDev -41.1%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Kinda tastes like pee pee

Yeah it's basically "cheaper beer" supposedly brewed in accordance with German Purity Law. In St. Louis MO! Ha haa. But at my local store, when my BAC is definitely over .08 I ride my damn bike for 5.99 a 6. I won't frown when I drink it!
It's a little more skunky than Fosters but in the same category also with Heineken.
Most often when I want a beer, I'd rather have a "Refreshing" beer than an over hopped, overly ambitious "Craft", "Micro" or some other beer that at least in Northern California passes as the standard. "Torpedo" from Sierra Nevada is a perfect example. Sure it's high gravity, who cares? It's Sour as F*&$ and not worth the $.
Sierra Nevada Crystal Wheat however is a good refreshing CA brew but not strong enough for the Winter! I want to support CA Breweries but I have not found a Domestic that I can say I love.
Does anyone have a suggestion for a CA or at least US brewed Bock or Doppel Bock? In the meantime I'll hit Bev Mo and get an import Bock...
Why don't U.S. and California "Micro" Breweries brew and bottle a Bock or Doppelbock or at least a "Malt Forward" Lager??? For those of us who are more into Malt than Hops! I'm stupefied at the Average Californian's taste for Beer!
Sláinte

Watery with no real flavor.

4.42/5  rDev +60.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Very refreshing and one of my favorite German Pilsner. Great clear color and best if it's ice cold. Smooth and clean ingredients won't give you any headaches even after you finish 6 bottles by yourself. ;)

2.21/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Bright pale straw color. Weak 1 finger head, quickly dead.

Highly skunky smell with some corn. Faint bitter malt flavors, slightly citrus.

Light slick body with prickly carbonation. Faint and short bitter finish ending with a smoky skunky dry feel.

Overall : Too bland, almost no flavors. A little stale, missing some freshness.

to view more.
Beck's from Brauerei Beck & Co.