Beck's - Brauerei Beck & Co.

Beck'sBeck's

poor

poor

Brauerei Beck & Co. visit their website
Germany

German Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 02-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beck's Alström Bros
Reviews: 664 | Hads: 1,906
2.75/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I always bought this beer in 500 ml cans from my local supermarket in Germany. This brew unfortunately changed trough the years. This beer has a bitter, dry and hoppy aftertaste. Its very skunky but also drinkable. An average german pilsener. (242 characters)

3.05/5  rDev +7%

From a fresh bottle.
I haven't had this for some years. This lager met my expectations but these were low

Overall: An adequate, mildly bitter pils. (151 characters)

3.27/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A: Clear golden straw color, 1 inch white head, little bit of lacing

S: Slight maltiness, little bit of hops in there but a large amount of the skunkiness you get from the yeast

T: That skunkinees is right up front, followed by a little bit of hop bitterness, then a finish of sweetness from the malts.

M: Light, good amount of carbonation

O: Not a bad beer for the price. I bought this while at the beach in a 12 pack as I wanted some craft beer but wanted to be a little friendlier on the wallet, so I got a six pack of a local IPA and this was the cheapest 12 pack of cans of anything other than macro lagers. Good tasting and just right for the beach. (666 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +41.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I was in Germany recently and drank this beer on tap quite often. I can't believe it is rated as poor. I thought it was very good and refreshing. Maybe in Germany the draft is better. (184 characters)

2.92/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Shaker pint glass, there is no "best by" date that I can find.

APPEARANCE: pours a clear, light yellow color with less than one finger white head that dissipated quickly until just a ring of small bubbles remained around the glass, medium carbonation, almost no lacing present.

SMELL: the nose is very faint, sweet malt, skunky, some grass and bread.

TASTE: the taste follows the nose, initially sweet malt, then some skunk and bread, the hop profile is too mild for my liking and just falls a little flat.

PALATE: medium body and carbonation, a little watery.

OVERALL: this is a drinkable beer, it's inoffensive but there are much better beers in this style to be had, I would not buy this again, the price was right at $10.99 for a 12 pack. (789 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +43.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Interestingly enough, bought a 6-pack after watching the episode of Kenny vs. Spenny: Who Can Drink More Beer, and this was their beer of choice. Those crazy Canadians!
It's definitely not very filling so you could down a 6-pack or more pretty easily. It's carbonated, skunky, and sweet, much like a Heineken, but for a couple bucks less and with some fancy silver lining on the neck. So, as a fan of skunky beers, I, my nose, and my taste buds approve. Only thing is, this stuff isn't actually imported from Germany but now brewed at AB in StL? Another green-bottle beer bites the dust. Prost. (595 characters)

2.96/5  rDev +3.9%

Pours a clear, pale yellow,short lived, white head. Aroma of malt, grain and grass. Grass flavour with grain, malt and a slightly dry, bitter, hoppy finish. (156 characters)

2.07/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

What a disappointment now that it is being brewed in St. Louis. I tried a six pack and it tasted flat. I thought I got a bad batch, until I tried another six pack. Same thing - flat and limp taste. Not like the German version. Way to screw up a good beer Budweiser. (270 characters)

2.05/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

2015-06-12
330ml bottle carried here from Germany in a friend's suitcase. Date on the label is 10.2015 L077514T. Served in a pint glass.

Pours crystal clear golden/yellow, small head, lots of carbonation. Smells bad. Skunky. Piss.

Taste is not as bad as the aroma (thank God). A little malt liquory sweetness, lots of lager. Fairly bland. A little grassy.

Mouthfeel is light, dry, and overcarbonated. Overall, I'm never buying a Beck's. Ever. (445 characters)

1.8/5  rDev -36.8%

Used to be my default go-to German lager, since it is widely available here. Within the past year I noted it is now produced in the USA (probably by Budweiser) vs. Imported from Germany and the taste has suffered considerably. I lived in China years ago and the Beck's produced there was better than the German imports, so it can be done outside Germany. (356 characters)

3.59/5  rDev +26%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

L: I would give this a 1-2 on the SRM chart. A very pale straw-like color, not unattractive in appearance. It is crystal clear with a light yellow tint similar to what a a glass of spring water with a drop of yellow food coloring in it might look like. It's pretty in its own way. A tooth white foamy head that pours to an inch and is gone in about a minute.

S: There is an initial skunky/sulfury smell which is actually kind of allowable for the type - according to the experts. After that I would say a metallic presence is definitely noticeable. There is a mild breadiness and some very light tangerine and plum aromas - very light IMO. There is also a mild smell that reminds me of sweat on a woman's forearm - always pleasant memories associated with that. :)

T: There is a definite hopiness like thew tartness of a lime or grapefruit along with a darker toastiness and some mild coniferous under-notes - like cedar. The style guidelines say "crisp & bitter", I would say that is accurate here and not unpleasant. Although here are metallic aromas there are no metallic flavors.

F: It has a medium light body with some carbonation, but nothing up front.

O: Times change. I can remember when my parents had parties and when somebody showed up with Beck's they had brought "the good stuff". I still like Beck's but after all the micro brew gems I had for years at home and at great beer bars - like Eli Cannon's Tap Room in Middletown, Connecticut; I realize Beck's has a lot of competition. Is is better than ur standard back yard BBQ fare? Yes. That said it brings back great memories of my parents parties and those at relatives' and family friends' houses when I was a kid. Would it be my first choice, no. If someone asked me for something tasting kinda like your standard cheap beer that's a little better this would be one. Cheers. (1,864 characters)

Bottled in Feb 13 2015 - held up well. This is a good German lager that follows the reinheitsgebot law for purity. A nice well made balanced beer. Hint of malt sweetness balanced by hop bitterness on the finish. I have always liked this beer and find it a refreshing summer beer. (283 characters)

1.51/5  rDev -47%

Horrible beer now brewed in St. Louis although the U.S. label claims "German purity". It smells like skunk and has a bitter, overpowering taste and leaves a dry aftertaste in my mouth. I was disappointed and mad when I spent more money for this beer and tried it for the first time. I couldn't even get past the few sips I was able to force myself to drink. This shouldn't be marketed in the U.S. as a quality German beer. Never again. (440 characters)

Crisp, refreshing, bitter finish, really well balanced German pilsner. An overall great drinkable beer and one of the better German pilsners. Not sure why such a low rating on the site. (185 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +31.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

16oz canned version:
This is a good German Pilsener-Euro lager, and in some ways, its slightly better than Heineken and Stella Artois. Even though this is the American version, its still good. I Paid only $3.99 for a 4pk of 16oz cans, no skunkiness and tasted nice and fresh. The best thing about this is there's no corn and no rice adjuncts. (342 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +32.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer is better than all the Budweisers, millers, foster of the world.

I used stay in Los angeles sometime back, my staple used to be Gordon Biersch blonde bock, used be a very nice beer with excellent body, color and taste, slightly stronger, but then bock' are meant to be that way. Becks was my other favorite different beer styles but fantastic in it's own right. I haven't tasted a better lager than becks, but then i haven't been to Germany. (452 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +51.6%

The beer has a bit of a sulfur smell, and is bitter, but I like it, and its distinct flavor. Again, I think in a blind taste test it would do better. (150 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +34.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Clear, pale straw appearance with a thin white head. Shows good carbonation. Light aroma of bready malts and some grassy hops. Slight hint of skunkiness that disappeared quickly. Taste is of mild malts and hops with a nice lemon quality. Nice bit of bitterness on the finish. Good, mild-medium body. Finishes rather dry. Crisp and refreshing. Overall, a quality beer. It's approachable and more interesting than many other more mainstream beers.

12 oz bottle
Bottle Code: 15024 (I'm assuming this is a bottled on date - January 24, 2015)
Served in a Pilsner glass
Product of USA (579 characters)

3.47/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A German style lager, quite weak in taste, and very cheap. However, it still beats most local beers here in Finland by its competetive price and taste. An all-around "drinking" beer. (182 characters)

2.85/5  rDev 0%

Very inoffensive, nearly tasteless, not too carbonated beer. It's a decent cheap option if on sale and in my opinion better than a Bud Light or Miller but not good enough to justify buying it if it's significantly more than those options. This is a real "drinking" beer. (270 characters)

2.93/5  rDev +2.8%

For me it is one step up from fosters, heiniken, miller and bud. Nothing special but better than some of the other global brands. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy Beck's again but in a tight spot or given to me I would happily drink and enjoy it. It's just an ok, decent pilsner i guess. (289 characters)

Yeah it's basically "cheaper beer" supposedly brewed in accordance with German Purity Law. In St. Louis MO! Ha haa. But at my local store, when my BAC is definitely over .08 I ride my damn bike for 5.99 a 6. I won't frown when I drink it!
It's a little more skunky than Fosters but in the same category also with Heineken.
Most often when I want a beer, I'd rather have a "Refreshing" beer than an over hopped, overly ambitious "Craft", "Micro" or some other beer that at least in Northern California passes as the standard. "Torpedo" from Sierra Nevada is a perfect example. Sure it's high gravity, who cares? It's Sour as F*&$ and not worth the $.
Sierra Nevada Crystal Wheat however is a good refreshing CA brew but not strong enough for the Winter! I want to support CA Breweries but I have not found a Domestic that I can say I love.
Does anyone have a suggestion for a CA or at least US brewed Bock or Doppel Bock? In the meantime I'll hit Bev Mo and get an import Bock...
Why don't U.S. and California "Micro" Breweries brew and bottle a Bock or Doppelbock or at least a "Malt Forward" Lager??? For those of us who are more into Malt than Hops! I'm stupefied at the Average Californian's taste for Beer!
Sláinte (1,234 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +55.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Very refreshing and one of my favorite German Pilsner. Great clear color and best if it's ice cold. Smooth and clean ingredients won't give you any headaches even after you finish 6 bottles by yourself. ;) (205 characters)

2.21/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Bright pale straw color. Weak 1 finger head, quickly dead.

Highly skunky smell with some corn. Faint bitter malt flavors, slightly citrus.

Light slick body with prickly carbonation. Faint and short bitter finish ending with a smoky skunky dry feel.

Overall : Too bland, almost no flavors. A little stale, missing some freshness. (331 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +30.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Green, the color of sickness, the color of sallow malevolence. This beer almost always comes in green bottles, which usually is indicative of skunky goodness. My best intentions led me to purchase this brew in cans, which led me down a path of darkness and pain. This is my own fault, and I abhor creation and the almighty himself for the suffering invoked after a night of consuming this blasphemous nectar. I awoke with a head pierced by a dagger of molten ore and pounding fury. My mouth was an arid, dessicated abyss where only demons and harlots dare tread. All of this, in the name of Teutonic superiority. Would I recommend this beer? If you wish to gaze into the the eyes of Satan, then wholeheartedly. (717 characters)

Beck's from Brauerei Beck & Co.