Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Beck's - Brauerei Beck & Co.

Beck'sBeck's

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 02-18-2002

Reviews: 663 | Hads: 1,904
Reviews by GossageBrewery:
2.84/5  rDev -0.4%

Poured this 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. The Pilsener poured a very clear, light yellow color, it produced a nice white head with average head retention. Average lacing. The aroma consisted of light grain, a small amount of hops and it was somewhat musty. The taste of this pilsner was light in body, some light malt base with a sweet crisp finish. This beer is OK in a pinch...there are much better German Pilsener's out there to be had. Skip this mass produced lager and get a real german beer. Prost! (506 characters)

3.02/5  rDev +6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

InBev really messed up the greatest beer on my planet...German purity law...scrapped !....Now tastes like a shot of water has been added to every bottle...YUCK !...Trying to locate the Oktoberfest version....MISSING IN ACTION !...WTH ? are they thinking ? Gosh sakes...add a dollar to the price of a 12 pack and go back to the great brew it once was !...I had that sick feeling inside when informed of InBev desires to brew it in a "Bud" plant...Gave it my best try and couldn't believe they would alter it....Very foolish move....As for now, my only redemption is Saranac Oktoberfest and the hunt for a new , regular beer ....Can you say "Spaten"....I can !...By the way, I and my friends think the art work on the bottles is idiotic....really bad !..Can't make up for the watering down ...nope. (796 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -12.3%

Short and sweet:

Party beer, and I would walk past it if it wasn't on sale. (77 characters)

3.26/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

very light tasting and not a whole lot going on. (48 characters)

2.85/5  rDev 0%

It was late at night and it we were outside looking for the full moon. Found the bag of canned Beck's and we were thirsty from running the last 2 miles of trail. The air was cold, the beer was cold and we were thirsty. Aww Beck's, the right beer at the right time. (264 characters)

1.61/5  rDev -43.5%

I can't believe InBev destroyed Beck's as we know it (in the USA).I'm sure the Germans are still drinking the real thing.They would pour this swill down the drain!Shame on you InBev! This just proves how stupid and gullible they think we are in America. (253 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -28.8%

For those that remain unaware of the fact that InBev has ceased bringing German Becks into the United States, and has chosen instead to now brew it at AB in St Louis, you will not be surprised to learn that Becks as we all knew it no longer exists. What we have now is a beer that tastes remarkably like what Budweiser/Michelob USED to taste like! This InBev insult to Becks Brauerei Bremen is almost devoid of hop aroma and character. There is malt to be sure, but it is restrained. We now have a beer for the masses that will elicit little if any comment. This is now a hot weather quencher that can sadly sit along in the ice filled cooler with Coors, MGD, Bud, and light beers ad nauseum. This is what InBev wants it to be.

I drank this beer last night at the UC in Chicago out of a 16 oz can. When I saw the label, Brewed in the USA I knew I had the imposter in hand. Everyone, I implore you, do not buy InBev products if you can help it. Certainly don't buy Becks USA. Do not support their program to buy breweries, cheapen recipes, and ruin what was otherwise good beer. InBev are a plague on this earth. Becks is their latest outrage to the beer drinker. BOYCOTT THIS BEER! (1,182 characters)

Crisp, refreshing, bitter finish, really well balanced German pilsner. An overall great drinkable beer and one of the better German pilsners. Not sure why such a low rating on the site. (185 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +30.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Green, the color of sickness, the color of sallow malevolence. This beer almost always comes in green bottles, which usually is indicative of skunky goodness. My best intentions led me to purchase this brew in cans, which led me down a path of darkness and pain. This is my own fault, and I abhor creation and the almighty himself for the suffering invoked after a night of consuming this blasphemous nectar. I awoke with a head pierced by a dagger of molten ore and pounding fury. My mouth was an arid, dessicated abyss where only demons and harlots dare tread. All of this, in the name of Teutonic superiority. Would I recommend this beer? If you wish to gaze into the the eyes of Satan, then wholeheartedly. (717 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +55.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Very refreshing and one of my favorite German Pilsner. Great clear color and best if it's ice cold. Smooth and clean ingredients won't give you any headaches even after you finish 6 bottles by yourself. ;) (205 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +31.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

16oz canned version:
This is a good German Pilsener-Euro lager, and in some ways, its slightly better than Heineken and Stella Artois. Even though this is the American version, its still good. I Paid only $3.99 for a 4pk of 16oz cans, no skunkiness and tasted nice and fresh. The best thing about this is there's no corn and no rice adjuncts. (342 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -31.2%

I am not rigidly opposed to relocating beers so long as it's done properly; the Canadian Guinness Extra really isn't bad even if it isn't quite the same, and I doubt Molson Golden is drastically the worse for being brewed in Ohio.

But Beck's is different. It was by no means the best euro lager out there but for the price it was a reliable go-to for that Euroswill taste.

Up to now, my take was whatever else one thought of ABI, at least they were undeniably competent. Not anymore. One would have thought that having decided to save a buck brewing Beck's stateside, some effort would have gone into making it actually taste like German Beck's. But they didn't even come close; I stongly doubt they bothered to try. It still says it's brewed according to the 1516 German purity law, but I don't believe it; either there's adjunct in there and they're lying through their teeth or they've somehow managed to make an all-malt beer taste like it has adjunct in it, which is almost worse. I taste-tested this against St Pauli Girl, which is still imported from the Bremen brewery, and which is very similar to the old Beck's, maybe somewhat coarser. The St Pauli blew this Beckweiser into the weeds. I didn't even bother finishing it, pouring it down the drain as an auto da fe. I bet even Michelob would kick this pseudo-Beck's keister.

My first ever beer was Beck's Dark. I haven't tried the fake version yet, not sure I want to even if they did a better job with it. ABI owns a lot of brands that are still imported but now one wonders who's next. Spaten? Lowenbrau? I never was one for avoiding a brand because it was a BMC member, but this loss cuts deep. I really will look to independent brands now thanks to this disrespectful gesture by ABI towards its customers; they think we won't know the difference; they think we're stupid.

A shameful and sorrowful loss. (1,871 characters)

Watery with no real flavor. (27 characters)

1.99/5  rDev -30.2%

Just not that good a beer.
Always seems to have a slight skunky smell, no matter how fresh the bottle.

Grainy taste, with a bitter finish.
Over priced
A lot of people seem to think Becks and Heineken are superior to American beers, but I just don't see it.
Just about anything else is a better choice. (307 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

As a Michigan boy i have to respect beck's. However, it is not a very complicated beer. It is easy to drink but does not have many distinct flavors. (148 characters)

1.24/5  rDev -56.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Can't get past the stench. (26 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -21.1%

i Bought it walmart in a 12 pack, was wanting something i hadnt had before. first i have to admit i am a fan of IPA and strong flavors. This does not have a strong flavor. it had good carbonation and mouthfeel, almost like a sprite. the flavor wasnt there, none, zilch. if someone gave it to me i would drink it but i wont buy it again. plain old budweiser or Miller has beer taste than this. I expected more from a German beer and now i feel betrayed , let down and disappointed. (480 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Ok drinkable only buy on special (32 characters)

A few thoughts from a long-time Becks customer that you will likely lose soon:

-Your new case design is ridiculously hard to open.

-The fact that you no longer put a bottle divider in your case is absurd. I have purchased three cases with broken bottles because of it and once some bottles have been removed, most of the rest of them fall over in the case.

-Please help me with a successful argument that I can use with my wife - she is inrealistic and will not let me collect empty beer bottles with artsy labels - she won't even let me put them on a shelf in our living room.

Too bad . . . (595 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +14%

This is a classic Pilsner where the malt is highlighted and for the most part singular. The nose is bready, doughy, obviously Pilsner malty and has a toasted aroma.

The flavor has a crackery Pilsner malt taste with a tad of bitterness and a clean feel. This is super easy to drink, is very light and not nearly as poor as one would believe. (341 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

330ml bottle. Calabria, Italy. Pours a crystal clear golden yellow with a medium quickly fading white head. Aroma and Taste of lemon citrus fruity flavors, some grainy grassy cereal notes, and light bitterness. Palate is a medium slightly crisp body, with moderate carbonation. Finish is citrus fruity notes, grainy grassy notes, light bitter notes as well. Overall an ok summer time lager. (390 characters)

2.21/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Not a completely terrible beer, I just prefer more flavor in my beer (68 characters)

3.47/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A German style lager, quite weak in taste, and very cheap. However, it still beats most local beers here in Finland by its competetive price and taste. An all-around "drinking" beer. (182 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +14%

Not the best German beer, but it is ok.

I wished they had other German beer here in L.A.. (90 characters)

2.11/5  rDev -26%

12 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present. Another bottle gifted to me from the neighbors. I could've sworn I reviewed this one before, but I guess not. I can't see this one being much different than the rest of them, though. "Originated in Bremen, Germany". "Product of USA". Expectations are low.

Poured into a miniature pint glass adorned with Victorian carriages.

A - Pours a pale golden yellow with some decent clarity. Just a shade darker than some of the crappier macros out there. Conjures about three fingers of foamy bone white head with decent staying power. Not a bad looking beer, for what it is.

S - The smell is of the usual suspects - adjunct corn & grains, dusty German pilsner malts,

T - Taste follows the nose - adjunct corn / grain, dusty wheat pilsner malt, and wet cardboard. Grainy and slightly metallic on the finish.

M - The feel is crisp, grainy, papery, and watery. Light-bodied, with mildly coarse carbonation. Non-refreshing, in my opinion.

Overall, another poor everyday macro. Tastes pretty much exactly the same as the rest of them do, and even considering that fact, I would probably rather drink something like Heineken Light instead.

Beck's ---2/5. (1,205 characters)

Beck's from Brauerei Beck & Co.