Beck's - Brauerei Beck & Co.

Beck'sBeck's

Ratings: 1,878 | Reviews: 692
Reviews by Mattyb79:
2.5/5  rDev -9.1%

Short and sweet:

Party beer, and I would walk past it if it wasn't on sale.

3.26/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

very light tasting and not a whole lot going on.

2.85/5  rDev +3.6%

It was late at night and it we were outside looking for the full moon. Found the bag of canned Beck's and we were thirsty from running the last 2 miles of trail. The air was cold, the beer was cold and we were thirsty. Aww Beck's, the right beer at the right time.

Crisp, refreshing, bitter finish, really well balanced German pilsner. An overall great drinkable beer. Not sure why such a low rating on the site.

3.73/5  rDev +35.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Green, the color of sickness, the color of sallow malevolence. This beer almost always comes in green bottles, which usually is indicative of skunky goodness. My best intentions led me to purchase this brew in cans, which led me down a path of darkness and pain. This is my own fault, and I abhor creation and the almighty himself for the suffering invoked after a night of consuming this blasphemous nectar. I awoke with a head pierced by a dagger of molten ore and pounding fury. My mouth was an arid, dessicated abyss where only demons and harlots dare tread. All of this, in the name of Teutonic superiority. Would I recommend this beer? If you wish to gaze into the the eyes of Satan, then wholeheartedly.

4.42/5  rDev +60.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Very refreshing and one of my favorite German Pilsner. Great clear color and best if it's ice cold. Smooth and clean ingredients won't give you any headaches even after you finish 6 bottles by yourself. ;)

3.74/5  rDev +36%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

16oz canned version:
This is a good German Pilsener-Euro lager, and in some ways, its slightly better than Heineken and Stella Artois. Even though this is the American version, its still good. I Paid only $3.99 for a 4pk of 16oz cans, no skunkiness and tasted nice and fresh. The best thing about this is there's no corn and no rice adjuncts.

3.02/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

InBev really messed up the greatest beer on my planet...German purity law...scrapped !....Now tastes like a shot of water has been added to every bottle...YUCK !...Trying to locate the Oktoberfest version....MISSING IN ACTION !...WTH ? are they thinking ? Gosh sakes...add a dollar to the price of a 12 pack and go back to the great brew it once was !...I had that sick feeling inside when informed of InBev desires to brew it in a "Bud" plant...Gave it my best try and couldn't believe they would alter it....Very foolish move....As for now, my only redemption is Saranac Oktoberfest and the hunt for a new , regular beer ....Can you say "Spaten"....I can !...By the way, I and my friends think the art work on the bottles is idiotic....really bad !..Can't make up for the watering down ...nope.

Watery with no real flavor.

1.99/5  rDev -27.6%

Just not that good a beer.
Always seems to have a slight skunky smell, no matter how fresh the bottle.

Grainy taste, with a bitter finish.
Over priced
A lot of people seem to think Becks and Heineken are superior to American beers, but I just don't see it.
Just about anything else is a better choice.

2.76/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

As a Michigan boy i have to respect beck's. However, it is not a very complicated beer. It is easy to drink but does not have many distinct flavors.

1.24/5  rDev -54.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Can't get past the stench.

2.25/5  rDev -18.2%

i Bought it walmart in a 12 pack, was wanting something i hadnt had before. first i have to admit i am a fan of IPA and strong flavors. This does not have a strong flavor. it had good carbonation and mouthfeel, almost like a sprite. the flavor wasnt there, none, zilch. if someone gave it to me i would drink it but i wont buy it again. plain old budweiser or Miller has beer taste than this. I expected more from a German beer and now i feel betrayed , let down and disappointed.

2.3/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Ok drinkable only buy on special

A few thoughts from a long-time Becks customer that you will likely lose soon:

-Your new case design is ridiculously hard to open.

-The fact that you no longer put a bottle divider in your case is absurd. I have purchased three cases with broken bottles because of it and once some bottles have been removed, most of the rest of them fall over in the case.

-Please help me with a successful argument that I can use with my wife - she is inrealistic and will not let me collect empty beer bottles with artsy labels - she won't even let me put them on a shelf in our living room.

Too bad . . .

3.25/5  rDev +18.2%

This is a classic Pilsner where the malt is highlighted and for the most part singular. The nose is bready, doughy, obviously Pilsner malty and has a toasted aroma.

The flavor has a crackery Pilsner malt taste with a tad of bitterness and a clean feel. This is super easy to drink, is very light and not nearly as poor as one would believe.

2.5/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

330ml bottle. Calabria, Italy. Pours a crystal clear golden yellow with a medium quickly fading white head. Aroma and Taste of lemon citrus fruity flavors, some grainy grassy cereal notes, and light bitterness. Palate is a medium slightly crisp body, with moderate carbonation. Finish is citrus fruity notes, grainy grassy notes, light bitter notes as well. Overall an ok summer time lager.

2.21/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Not a completely terrible beer, I just prefer more flavor in my beer

3.47/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A German style lager, quite weak in taste, and very cheap. However, it still beats most local beers here in Finland by its competetive price and taste. An all-around "drinking" beer.

3.25/5  rDev +18.2%

Not the best German beer, but it is ok.

I wished they had other German beer here in L.A..

2.11/5  rDev -23.3%

12 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present. Another bottle gifted to me from the neighbors. I could've sworn I reviewed this one before, but I guess not. I can't see this one being much different than the rest of them, though. "Originated in Bremen, Germany". "Product of USA". Expectations are low.

Poured into a miniature pint glass adorned with Victorian carriages.

A - Pours a pale golden yellow with some decent clarity. Just a shade darker than some of the crappier macros out there. Conjures about three fingers of foamy bone white head with decent staying power. Not a bad looking beer, for what it is.

S - The smell is of the usual suspects - adjunct corn & grains, dusty German pilsner malts,

T - Taste follows the nose - adjunct corn / grain, dusty wheat pilsner malt, and wet cardboard. Grainy and slightly metallic on the finish.

M - The feel is crisp, grainy, papery, and watery. Light-bodied, with mildly coarse carbonation. Non-refreshing, in my opinion.

Overall, another poor everyday macro. Tastes pretty much exactly the same as the rest of them do, and even considering that fact, I would probably rather drink something like Heineken Light instead.

Beck's ---2/5.

3.3/5  rDev +20%

275ml Green bottle at 5% and imported into the UK.

Really surprised to find I’d never ’done’ this beer on the web. Becks have been importing into the UK for many, many years, one of the first German breweries to do so since WW11.

Anyway this beer looks the part: clean, clear and bright, typical Pilsner in fact. Drier than a lot of the German Pilsners and certainly well carbonated, one of my minus points about Becks is the uber fizzy nature of the brew once bottled.

A staple German Pilsner that does have a hop taste and a dry finish unlike some of its counterparts.

2.73/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours from the bottle like any common lager, with a sunny yellow color (with maybe a hint of green) and a white fizzy head. The aroma is a combination of musty hops, a little bit of lemon, and some light cracker-like breadiness. The flavor features sweet cereal grains, a bit of corn, and only a faint earthy hop character. There is also a little bit of a metallic flavor in the finish, which always tends to turn me off. There is some body, but the light, fizzy carbonation cuts right through it. Overall, this beer is fine and drinkable, but not appreciably different than most other common, mass-produced lagers.

3.07/5  rDev +11.6%

12oz bottle (date stamp 13325 SM26) poured into a .2l polar glass.

Appearance: Clear yellow to light gold color. Thin white head with an occasional island of lacing.

Smell: Apple, light clean lager smell.

Taste: A bit sweet, with a weak crisp finish. A bare amount of noble hops at the finish that comes out a bit more as it warms up.

Mouthfeel: High carbonation approaching fizzy, but not quite.

Overall/Drinkability: Like many German lagers, engineered to be drank in large quantities, and this fits that quality. I could drink more, but, I know there are more flavorful German lagers out there. Therefore this beer is at best average.

1.06/5  rDev -61.5%

I have been drinking Beck's for over a decade, but when I got a recent case with the artsy new labels it tasted different, and I noticed it no longer says "IMPORTED FROM GERMANY."

So now it's brewed in St. Louis. I wonder if they'll lower the price to match the Budweiser price, since they don't pay for shipping it any more? Ha, that'll be the day!

Looks like I need to find a new beer. And look forward to my annual visit to Germany. St. Pauli Girl is still imported, I think, but the local stores are all sold out. Maybe other people noticed and switched.

Beck's from Brauerei Beck & Co.