Beck's - Brauerei Beck & Co.

Beck'sBeck's

poor

poor

pDev: 24%
Brauerei Beck & Co. visit their website
Germany

German Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 02-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beck's Alström Bros

I refuse to go with the crowd. Becks is a magnificent drink. My credentials: raised in a major US macro-employed corporate environment (and employed as Tour Guide through college), related associates in Germany and Switzerland; tastings in said associates' breweries; lived in Hamburg. I know swill from good.

Disclaimer: I'm unimpressed by high ABV, stacked malt-hop affairs that seem to mostly determine high ratings from most reviewers. Oh, and St. Pauli is a nearly identical brew by Becks, so if you reviewed that higher than Becks, you got duped by the big t1ts.

Becks, like most Old World pilsners/lagers in northern Germany, is founded on limestone. This is the key to Becks' softness, something missing from US pilsners and most lagers. Nothing takes the place of limestone water for creating a good pils.

Becks is clear; it is not ale. US micro pils are ales masquerading as pilsners.

Becks tastes fresh; the grassy Hallertau and Saaz are present; the biscuit malt is subtle (something we Americans have trouble with). A wisp of coriander can even appear. The co-mingling of all these elements create a *drinkability* that must be respected.

Or not. Talk about stress and over pasteurization. Bash the macro import. It's only beer.

But this one is legendary.

4.82/5  rDev +75.3%

Golden yellow colour, doesn't look particularly appealing but not bad either. More carbonation than appearance would suggest but feels great, just the right amount. Tastes clean and refreshing with enough interesting hoppiness to keep coming back for more. Good one for summer days. Drinkability is great and can't think of much more to want from a lager than this offers.

4.75/5  rDev +72.7%

4.75/5  rDev +72.7%

As you can tell from my profile picture, I love Beck's. It so simple that it's brilliant. I first had a Beck's when I was seventeen, and I have loved them since. I highly recommend these and all of their other flavours.

4.6/5  rDev +67.3%

My favorite beer for daily consumption. Never a hangover and is very refreshing if you live in the South. I love German pilsners, they rarely have odd additive flavors that occur when a foreigh substance is added to the brewing process, such as wood, blueberries, or spices.

Nice Nobel hops flavor.

Medium malt flavor.

Average carbonation.

Clean pleasant after taste.

4.6/5  rDev +67.3%

I live in Costa Rica right now and I bought it a small supermarket which has a large wine, spirit, and beer selection which is rare.

I didn't pour it, I had it straight out of the bottle. I have to say I really like this beer. There is nothing extraordinary about it, it simply has a really clean taste which I like and is hard to find. The most prominent taste would be that of hops and malt.

I would definitely recommend this beer.

4.55/5  rDev +65.5%

Great for fans of Heineken. I've had better beers but this is fairly cheap and good for a daily drink. It is a nice golden color that you see with Heineken. Not overly bubbly. Not a very harsh first taste and finished smooth. Great served extremely cold.

4.51/5  rDev +64%

Presentation: 24 oz green bottle with silver foil neck. best before date 9-2011.

Appearance: crystal clear golden color with 1 finger of thin white head, fast to dissipate, thin runny lacing.

Smell: slight bouquet of skunk, some citrus esters.

Taste: crispy and acidic with a bitter yet sweet finish that has good hang time.

Mouthfeel: light bodied with overly moderate carbonation.

Drinkability: keep em coming, morning day or night this ones a keeper for me ...

Notes: my workhorse Pilsner. gonna price out a 1/2 keg this week.

4.44/5  rDev +61.5%

This beer pours a clear yellow with a thin head and nice lacing. It's aroma is slightly lemony with hints of cereal and bread. The flavor is very well balanced between malty sweetness and hop bitterness and notes of dough. The mouthfeel is light-medium. Becks is a very good beer. smooth, highly drinkable, and a perfect match for schnitzel and sauerkraut. Highly recommended.

4.44/5  rDev +61.5%

Beck's is a great beer, goes down easy, nice smell and tastes great!!! A true staple in the beer culture and the 710mL is by far the best sampling.
Taste starts off smooth on the tongue...but at the end, nice bitterness on the back of the throat. Very little carbonation, nice head, a great beer!

4.4/5  rDev +60%

beck's is a good German beer. beck is a nice balance between ultra strong and subtle beer. one of my all time favorite. very smooth, and not watered down, yet not motor oil. very addictive beer, once you start it's hard to stop. excellent draft or out of the mini keg. also fun to try to peel the foil wrapper off without breaking it, a challenge after you have had 5 or 6.

4.4/5  rDev +60%

4.37/5  rDev +58.9%

What can I say? I really like this beer - its one of my favorites.

It has a light, golden colour and pours a light, thin head that is pretty quick to dissipate.

Beck's emits a nice, mild aroma that is not at all overpoweing, in fact you really have to enjoy it when you open the beer and pour it because, like the head it does not linger and is harder to notice after the beer has been opened and poured. I'm no beer tasting expert so its hard for me to say what it smells like, maybe barley or wheat or some kind of grain but it certainly smells like what a pilsner should smell like.

For me, the best part of this beer is the taste. It is light and hoppy with a very clean finish. A smooth beer that goes down easy and a slightly bitter aftertaste.

As you can tell, I like this beer very much. I have seen it compared to Heiniken, but in my opinion it is far superior (not really saying much) and is not really a fair comparasion. The comparasion is probably because they are two of the most popular pilsners in the world.

I like this beer quite cold, maybe colder than experts would recommend - I often take it from the fridge to the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes before I drink it (maybe because my fridge should be colder) and in the summer it has to be in a cooler full of ice.

Very nice crisp taste and the bitter aftertaste is really pleasant so you know you are drinking a beer. Beck's isn't too 'bubbly' but the carbonation is there because I get great beer burps even during my 1st one.

A solid all round beer, great with food and without. I like mine out of the 500mL cans (yep, cans) because its a great value that way (here in Canada anyways) and tastes better to me than served from the bottles. This beer is awesome in the sauna, even better out on the boat and is also suitable for mass consumption if you want it but kind of expensive for that.

4.35/5  rDev +58.2%

I see that the reviewers gave PBR a 72 rating & the Bros an 80 rating. And the reviewers gave Beck's a 67 rating & the Bros a 62 rating. Are you all nuts?!! Beck's now may be owned by InBev & brewed in St. Louis, MO. But I recently called Beck's brewmaster & he assured me that they were still brewing to the German Purity Law, which means they're only using water, barley malt, hops & yeast. I'm sure Pabst isn't doing the same. I know why all of you are rating Pabst higher than Beck's. It has nothing to do with PBR's quality. Rather, it's the "pseudo-hipster's" rating, i.e. "PBR is 'cooler' than Beck's because it doesn't advertise & has the patriotic U.S. colors of red, white & blue." C'mon everyone - get real. No way is PBR better tasting than Beck's. And no, I don't work for Beck's & I'm not German. However, I've brewed my own beers & know a bit of what I'm talking about.

Beck's from Brauerei Beck & Co.