Beck's - Brauerei Beck & Co.

Beck'sBeck's

poor

poor

pDev: 24%
Brauerei Beck & Co. visit their website
Germany

German Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 02-18-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beck's Alström Bros

I refuse to go with the crowd. Becks is a magnificent drink. My credentials: raised in a major US macro-employed corporate environment (and employed as Tour Guide through college), related associates in Germany and Switzerland; tastings in said associates' breweries; lived in Hamburg. I know swill from good.

Disclaimer: I'm unimpressed by high ABV, stacked malt-hop affairs that seem to mostly determine high ratings from most reviewers. Oh, and St. Pauli is a nearly identical brew by Becks, so if you reviewed that higher than Becks, you got duped by the big t1ts.

Becks, like most Old World pilsners/lagers in northern Germany, is founded on limestone. This is the key to Becks' softness, something missing from US pilsners and most lagers. Nothing takes the place of limestone water for creating a good pils.

Becks is clear; it is not ale. US micro pils are ales masquerading as pilsners.

Becks tastes fresh; the grassy Hallertau and Saaz are present; the biscuit malt is subtle (something we Americans have trouble with). A wisp of coriander can even appear. The co-mingling of all these elements create a *drinkability* that must be respected.

Or not. Talk about stress and over pasteurization. Bash the macro import. It's only beer.

But this one is legendary.

4.85/5  rDev +76.4%

Golden yellow colour, doesn't look particularly appealing but not bad either. More carbonation than appearance would suggest but feels great, just the right amount. Tastes clean and refreshing with enough interesting hoppiness to keep coming back for more. Good one for summer days. Drinkability is great and can't think of much more to want from a lager than this offers.

4.75/5  rDev +72.7%

4.75/5  rDev +72.7%

As you can tell from my profile picture, I love Beck's. It so simple that it's brilliant. I first had a Beck's when I was seventeen, and I have loved them since. I highly recommend these and all of their other flavours.

4.65/5  rDev +69.1%

My favorite beer for daily consumption. Never a hangover and is very refreshing if you live in the South. I love German pilsners, they rarely have odd additive flavors that occur when a foreigh substance is added to the brewing process, such as wood, blueberries, or spices.

Nice Nobel hops flavor.

Medium malt flavor.

Average carbonation.

Clean pleasant after taste.

4.65/5  rDev +69.1%

I live in Costa Rica right now and I bought it a small supermarket which has a large wine, spirit, and beer selection which is rare.

I didn't pour it, I had it straight out of the bottle. I have to say I really like this beer. There is nothing extraordinary about it, it simply has a really clean taste which I like and is hard to find. The most prominent taste would be that of hops and malt.

I would definitely recommend this beer.

4.53/5  rDev +64.7%

Presentation: 24 oz green bottle with silver foil neck. best before date 9-2011.

Appearance: crystal clear golden color with 1 finger of thin white head, fast to dissipate, thin runny lacing.

Smell: slight bouquet of skunk, some citrus esters.

Taste: crispy and acidic with a bitter yet sweet finish that has good hang time.

Mouthfeel: light bodied with overly moderate carbonation.

Drinkability: keep em coming, morning day or night this ones a keeper for me ...

Notes: my workhorse Pilsner. gonna price out a 1/2 keg this week.

4.5/5  rDev +63.6%

This beer pours a clear yellow with a thin head and nice lacing. It's aroma is slightly lemony with hints of cereal and bread. The flavor is very well balanced between malty sweetness and hop bitterness and notes of dough. The mouthfeel is light-medium. Becks is a very good beer. smooth, highly drinkable, and a perfect match for schnitzel and sauerkraut. Highly recommended.

4.5/5  rDev +63.6%

Great for fans of Heineken. I've had better beers but this is fairly cheap and good for a daily drink. It is a nice golden color that you see with Heineken. Not overly bubbly. Not a very harsh first taste and finished smooth. Great served extremely cold.

4.43/5  rDev +61.1%

Beck's is a great beer, goes down easy, nice smell and tastes great!!! A true staple in the beer culture and the 710mL is by far the best sampling.
Taste starts off smooth on the tongue...but at the end, nice bitterness on the back of the throat. Very little carbonation, nice head, a great beer!

4.4/5  rDev +60%

4.38/5  rDev +59.3%

I see that the reviewers gave PBR a 72 rating & the Bros an 80 rating. And the reviewers gave Beck's a 67 rating & the Bros a 62 rating. Are you all nuts?!! Beck's now may be owned by InBev & brewed in St. Louis, MO. But I recently called Beck's brewmaster & he assured me that they were still brewing to the German Purity Law, which means they're only using water, barley malt, hops & yeast. I'm sure Pabst isn't doing the same. I know why all of you are rating Pabst higher than Beck's. It has nothing to do with PBR's quality. Rather, it's the "pseudo-hipster's" rating, i.e. "PBR is 'cooler' than Beck's because it doesn't advertise & has the patriotic U.S. colors of red, white & blue." C'mon everyone - get real. No way is PBR better tasting than Beck's. And no, I don't work for Beck's & I'm not German. However, I've brewed my own beers & know a bit of what I'm talking about.

4.35/5  rDev +58.2%

beck's is a good German beer. beck is a nice balance between ultra strong and subtle beer. one of my all time favorite. very smooth, and not watered down, yet not motor oil. very addictive beer, once you start it's hard to stop. excellent draft or out of the mini keg. also fun to try to peel the foil wrapper off without breaking it, a challenge after you have had 5 or 6.

Beck's from Brauerei Beck & Co.