Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Beck's - Brauerei Beck & Co.

Beck'sBeck's

poor

poor

Brauerei Beck & Co. visit their website
Germany

German Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 02-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beck's Alström Bros
Reviews: 663 | Hads: 1,904

IMO this beer gets a big fat “F”. Years ago I would have given it a solid B.

In front of me is an opened bottle of Becks with its headless contents in a glass. Not more than a decade ago this was my favorite session beer. The clean, crisp taste of this little jewel with its signature back end "bitter" bite never failed me. I always enjoyed it, and it never gave me a hangover. In fact, in every case, I woke up the next day feeling as if I did not consume 4, sometimes 6 of these the prior night.

Turn the page. InBev, the largest manufacturer of artificial piss on the planet, swallows up Becks, moves its brewing out of its home country, and does God-only-knows-what to its recipe, and thus destroys another good German beer.

It is now a horrid lifeless P.O.S.

But alas, not to rest on its laurels, InBev, always in search of squeezing another .1% margin out of one of their "beers", has decided to destroy the Becks label as well. See here...

Next, go here: www.becks.com.

Tell me please---how long does it take you to find one word about Becks beer on their website?! It took me 2 minutes before my clicks revealed a page with the word "beer" on it. Isn't that special?

It wasn't long ago when I wished death for InBev; but thinking it through, IMHO, we should wish InBev continued success with their current product lines. As long as they can stay busy remaking their reconstituted urine for the masses, e.g., *Bud Light Platinum*, hopefully they will keep their filthy hands off of our wonderful craft beers.

Ehh...you know what? That's silly. I do wish InBev a slow, long, and steady suicide after all. (1,726 characters)

Poured out of a 24oz bottle. Aroma is kinda skunked and bland upfront. Taste is much of the same. Very odd aftertaste. Best before date is 2/08. Regardless, the taste is pretty dull and bland. If you took away any of the skunk, it would still be dull and bland. Almost not worth drinking. (288 characters)

Just went for my trusty 12-pack of Becks at the store, went to the beach and cracked a bottle, lo and behold it tasted like piss.
read the funky (designer) label and discovered it was now brewed in the usa. I tried to take the beer back to the store put i had opened the 12-pack. I ended up pouring it out.

Damn you inbev

well you lost some long time becks customers My fam and i even went to the becks brewery in bremen on our way through germany.
it really sucks now STAY AWAY !!!

i doubt somebody at inbev will read this but...
at least i still got my Pilsner Urquell to fall back on.

RIP BECKS really sad... (616 characters)

The Death of Beck's Dark

It took me a little to realize what had happened; the taste changed like I had gotten a funny batch. Also I started to get a headache, digestive problems and I thought what the hell is going on? After examining the label and realizing it had changed I looked up on my iPhone and to my horror I found that this was now an Anheuser product; brewed in St Louis...

Well that it explained my negative physical reaction. I was stunned. Anheuser Busch products make me physically ill and taste poor.
I was angry that Inbev had botched this and will effectively kill this beer. I will never purchase Beck's Dark again or any "Beck's" product.

So long Beck's...a moment of silence in remembrance please. (727 characters)

BUD should be slapped for ruining this one time great beer. Sorry I really cant hold back the new Becks is pure shix!

BE WARNED STAY AWAY FROM THIS STUFF as well as the Becks Dark. I see that many of the chain stores have it on sale for a while now and its not moving... (271 characters)

Well, my good sir, this thingy here tastes a little bit like bloody freaking motherfucking water. Fuck you. And fuck Beck's. And fuck this comment lenght.
This is so bloody unpolite to be called beer when it is not a beer and is more like a cat piss, Sir, pardon me, but this banana smells like a manzana.
Yes. (312 characters)

1.03/5  rDev -63.9%

I delivered beer for 30 plus years for a company that handled many many brands.
I sampled them all at one time or another. I finally settled in as being a Beck's fan for quite a long time as well as being the one for the foreseeable future. Well that dramatically changed. I called the number on the back of the bottle twice to vent my dislike of their new product in the same bottle and of course they swore that nothing changed. I'm glad I found this web site because I am still highly bitter over another instance by big business to worship the mighty buck and throw out the quality of a product that I really enjoyed. These companies need to loose market share and their profits for the bone head moves they make. I decided to pick a case up for the Thanksgiving holiday to give it one last shot to make sure it wasn't all in my head. What a mistake; since I stopped drinking it shortly after the change in where it is brewed, the taste of this is horrendous. It's actually worse than a cheap crappy American made beer. I gave it a 1.5 in the appearance department, but that's the highest I can rate it because it really is not worthy compared to what it once was. This is as constructive as I can get so delete my review if you must.
I feel a lot better now that I at least had the chance to type this. I still do wish this stays on this site so my review supports the people here that understand how a good German beer went up in smoke. (1,445 characters)

1.06/5  rDev -62.8%

I have been drinking Beck's for over a decade, but when I got a recent case with the artsy new labels it tasted different, and I noticed it no longer says "IMPORTED FROM GERMANY."

So now it's brewed in St. Louis. I wonder if they'll lower the price to match the Budweiser price, since they don't pay for shipping it any more? Ha, that'll be the day!

Looks like I need to find a new beer. And look forward to my annual visit to Germany. St. Pauli Girl is still imported, I think, but the local stores are all sold out. Maybe other people noticed and switched. (560 characters)

1.12/5  rDev -60.7%

Since the Beck's moved browing to the USA, it lost all the characteristics of a good beer. Now it's just another yellow water. I'll never buy it again. Shame on you, Beck's company owners.

I said it all, now I'm typing to fill the required minimum two hundred fifty characters. (278 characters)

1.12/5  rDev -60.7%

bought a six pack of becks. ended up with a six pack of sterile piss water. DO NOT BUY THIS BEER ANY MORE UNLESS YOU WANT OVERPRICED BUDWEISER. in which case i pity you.
as everyone has pointed out, becks for americans is now made in st louis and is NOTHING like it used to be. yeah im furious about this. (305 characters)

1.12/5  rDev -60.7%

Having had Beck's at home for more years than I care to count, I just opened a bottle and something was very wrong. Absent was the taste of bitter and depth of flavor. Instead it's an insipid watery taste devoid of flavor. Even a bad beer has flavor, this beer is like water, without character.
What a disappointment!
Beck's in now brewed in St. Louis, should not take long for market share to slip. (399 characters)

1.15/5  rDev -59.6%

I just officially drank my last bottle of Becks beer today. I had been drinking Beck's religiously for over 30 years. One year ago they started producing Beck's at the BUD plant in St. Louis. Even though they tried to cover up the change by putting "artsy labels" on the bottles for a while before they put one on that now says "german quality", the taste didn't lie. EVERYTHING is now WRONG. The taste, mouthfeel, ALL WRONG! I bought up whatever REAL Beck's I could find in my area and they are finally gone! It will be a frigid day in hell before I will ever buy BUDWEISER in a BECK'S bottle. As a matter of fact I will go out of my way to make sure I never buy anything INBEV produces PERIOD. I'll make it myself first!!!
WHAT A BUNCH OF GREEDY BOZO'S!! (756 characters)

1.16/5  rDev -59.3%

Today , May 31st , 2012 , It was hot here in the San Francisco Bay Area and I had a desire for a refreshing pilsner with a 'bite'. I just happened to be in a store where I saw Becks for $11-99 for12 bottles., and, like many reviewers, I have years of familiarity with Becks. , so I bought them , went out into my garden , poured a bottle slowly into a tall pilsner glass and prepared for pleasure.
What happened next was...nothing : no aroma , no mouth , no bitterness , no familiar German hoppy dry 'bite'....nothing .
I reflected that so many products have been compromised in today's 'greedy' corporate climate , but not the Germans !
So , out of curiosity , I went inside , looked at the label , and lo and behold : all was revealed : InBrew , St Paul MO.
And , like other reviewers recalled the Lowenbrau experience which in 1980 I ,also, shared : I became angry at the fraud and lies of misleading customers and patrons of the beer. I also feel cheated at having bought 12 bottles of chemically colored diluted 'urine' posing as beer. May Becks suffer for this ! (1,072 characters)

1.18/5  rDev -58.6%

This is mineral water, for all practical purposes. That is, if the well you draw your water from is traced with sulfur.
Pour transparent and virtually colorless. Sure, it shines a dilute gold, but hold the glass to you computer screen and it appears as only mildly stained H20.
Intially, a sharp sulfuric blast escapes the bottle, and then- while in the glass- tracers of vague German hops, all grassy herbs and dry. Then, after several moments, it shuts off completely and becomes odorless.
Taste: see above. An exercise in reduction. Sulfur-laced mineral water....then just mineral water....then just water. Malt is totally absent. Gone. Nothing there. There is a tiny herbal graininess that seems more hop driven. But hops, largely, are MIA as well.
Just as water-logged as they come. Rushing carbonation up-front, but that vanishes as well.

I'd had alcohol-free "beers" that I much prefer to this. In fact, I believe Beck's NA was one of them.

Despite the obvious sulfur, this isn't lightstruck....though I think I'd have prefered it more had it been. At least there is character in that.
Not only does this lack pils traits, it also lacks beer traits. It's not so much "bad" as it is "invisible".
And I guess it is "bad" too. (1,247 characters)

1.19/5  rDev -58.2%

A: Looks like a regular Pilsner. Maybe a little lighter. Perhaps a little less bubbly.

S: Cabbage, freshly mowed grass, wet newspaper. It smells very unappealing. It even has an acid scent although it's from a bottle.

Taste: This is the week point of the beer, imo. Honest to god it tastes like cardboard. Very harsh, in an unrefreshing way.

M: I don't know. It's too difficult to get past the smell and the taste to really say it's enjoyable.

Overall: Perhaps the worst beer ever drunk. How can this be considered a premium beverage? Not recommended (even if free). (570 characters)

1.25/5  rDev -56.1%

A- bad watery yellow with thin white head, poor retention and thin rings of lace.

S- Skunk, metallic, hints of corn and sweet malt, citrus notes, and musky

T- cheap, musky sweet undertones, with funky ruined buttery hints, citrus notes, and sulpher water. Can we say the buttermilk of beers or something similar?

M- thin and watery, overly fizzy

D- Blah, bitter and skunky. Nasty as others say before me :))) (412 characters)

1.35/5  rDev -52.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1

My friends and i have been wondering why the taste has been different lately. (Not good) We now know its because becks is no longer made in germany. It's made in St. Louis. Honestly it is bad by comparison.

Becks was # 3 favorite behind bass & guinness in the world. Now... not sure if i (we) will ever buy another one.

Make that a never period. The complete lack of notification & the tiny colorless writing on the label just adds more distaste to the expirience.

Fyi.. my fav- bass ale may be selling out also. The new "bass india pale ale" is horrid. (Made in usa also). I must have had thousands of each beer ( becks, bass) but now... well it wont be helping the european economic union.

As far as describing the different taste, hhmmm? Just not sure how to put it in words. Just not as strong a tang. (Like a supermarket tomato compared to one fresh from your yard - or local farm). May be the water also. For some reason they just don't taste as clean.

Not sure when this change was made but it seemed around the time the label promo was in effect. (6 months or so we noticed the diff) It was only today we found the product of usa on the bottle. It is sad.
Thanks (1,188 characters)

1.35/5  rDev -52.6%

no sir i dooont like it. if i was german id be ashamed to claim onwership of this one. fits nicely alongside all the other crappy aussie lagers as the token import in many pubs here.

the appearance of this beer is so light it looks like its going to blow away if a good gust of wind got up. pretty tasteless, no smell worth talking about. its also another of those beers that relys on carbonation rather than hops to give it what little bite it has. at least it doesnt taste offensive.

the most overrated import in this country by a mile. perhaps we see a lot of it here because the germans are too smart to be drinking this very lack lustre lager over there, when they have acess to a whole lot better. (711 characters)

1.39/5  rDev -51.2%

Good God, I have not tried this beer in 10 years and don't care to again for another 100.

There was nothing unusual about the appearance, and it was all downhill from there. The smell was skunky and stale. I cannot swear by the quality of the bar I had it in but it was probably on par with a typical retailer of this beer. The taste and mouthfeel together started out like plain water and quickly turned to liquid skunk juice. There is just enough carbination to force this offensive flavor into the nostrils.

This beer is not representative of the country it is brewed in. The worst German beer I have ever had. (617 characters)

1.4/5  rDev -50.9%

This beer was pale gold in appearance. It poured a medium size head with very little lacing. It had a fruity, citrusy aroma with a bitter taste to it. It had an aftertaste that just would not go away. There was no carbonation evident. The body of this beer was light. I could not believe how awful this beer tasted. I am glad I have this one out of the way. (357 characters)

1.4/5  rDev -50.9%

A: Looks like a very light pilsner. I like the green bottle, which has nothing to do with the beer, but the beer is not much to talk about.

S: It is okay, nothing not worthy.

T: So bad, it is not a good taste. I think the taste is the worst aspect of the beer.

M: Meh, really lite. I would say it is not awful, could be worst.

D: I will never purchase this beer again. (376 characters)

1.48/5  rDev -48.1%

This beer is not very good. Not even in comparison to BMC, or Heineken, or Mexican lager.

It may be able to hang with mediocre Kvass.

A - Straw-hued, flat in two-seconds flat, and disturbingly translucent.

S - At first I thought I caught a whiff of lemon-lime, and something a little perfume-y. But, no, it was actually the same smell as a new Nike shoe box. More on that later.

T - Terrible, overall. There are some redeeming char... err... wait, no there aren't. Sickly sweet, with a flavor that makes it clear that this is the product of massive industrial machinery.

M - It feels better spitting it out. Also, I would think it has to taste better coming back up than it is going down. The poster-child for wimpy, limp lameness.

D - During high school, I had a friend who worked at Foot Locker, in the mall. I always thought that the new shoe smell of that place was unbearable. This beer smells and tastes just like that 'essence of Foot Locker'. As to enjoyability, its a notch below O'Douls.

You've really done it Beck's! You have created the only product imaginable that is head and shoulders below BMC. Way to shit on over a thousand years of Bavarian brewing excellence. (1,186 characters)

1.49/5  rDev -47.7%

This is my second review of Becks the first being the German version which I gave a fairly reasonable 3.48.

This review is for the American version:

Poured a thin watery yellow with a big foamy head.

The smell was almost nothing, there was little sweetness and corn.

The taste was sweet corn like. Pretty bad.

The mouth feel was was thin and highly carbonated.

Overall all I can say is Becks has been ruined for all American drinkers. It's basically Bud in a becks can now, terrible. I think there should be separate entries for the American and German Becks as the are essentially different beers. (604 characters)

1.49/5  rDev -47.7%

It's nothing like it was before Inbev got it. I registered on this site because I enjoy a clear-ish refreshing brew fairly often, and Beck's used to do that fairly often.

Now, it's Tsing-tao all the way, for me. It's not quite like (as good as? dunno, taste is relative) Beck's, but it still is a real beer and not a bunch of bubbly slop like whatever it is that Inbev did to Beck's.

Give Tsing-tao a try after you spit out Beck's. It won't be exactly what you were after, but it'll be real, and close. (504 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -47.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Bottle: Poured a pale yellow color lager with no head and very limited carbonation. Light floral malt aroma is detectable. Taste is extremely light and boring. Aftertaste is non-existent. Overall, this beer totally lacks any inspiration and taste like some many other macros out there. (285 characters)

Beck's from Brauerei Beck & Co.