Beck's - Brauerei Beck & Co.

Beck'sBeck's

poor

poor

Brauerei Beck & Co. visit their website
Germany

German Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 02-18-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beck's Alström Bros
palffyfan

2.6/5  rDev -5.1%

Appearance - Golden yellow color with average carbonation, formed a solid head. Looks pretty appealing.

Smell - Smelled very skunky coming out of the bottle, but smelled normal in glass. Grass the predominant smell with a hint of sweetness.

Taste - Overly carbonated with a grassy taste. Kind of hard to describe, but not particularly pleasant. Mild bitter finish.

Drinkability - I imagine that fans of the pilsner would enjoy a beer like this, but it would certainly wear on me because of the unfamiliar taste and the lingering bitterness at the end. Not worth the price of the import.

05-13-2006 03:43:58 | More by palffyfan
silver0rlead

3.3/5  rDev +20.4%

Pours a very pale yellow with a descent white head that doesnt stick around long. The aroma is mostly biscuity malt, and grain husks, with some slight herbal and spicy bitterness. The flavor is again mostly malty with notes of biscuit and grain husk, as well as some mild spicy and herbal hops...simple and basic but refreshing. The mouthfeel is crisp and sprightly, with high carbonation and drinkability is excellent. A descent lawn mower beer, very refreshing on a hot day.

05-07-2006 05:01:45 | More by silver0rlead
pootz

3.53/5  rDev +28.8%

I was weaned on this beer and it has always been one of my favorite pilsners however due to the terrible inconsistancy in quality you get with the green bottles ( light struck skunkinesss) I gave up buying it except on tap...then the new inert eurocans started showing up...these are a godesend to the 3 top imports in green bottles that had a bad rap because of the sulpherous skunk created by photo degeneration of the yeast/hop byproducts.

This can produced very near draft taste...it was fresh, bright with nobel hops and the Beck special pale malt decoction was detectable in the falvor profile. A light hoppy dry German Pils that has stood the test of time.

05-04-2006 22:12:42 | More by pootz
ultralarry2006

3.1/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber. Left less than a finger of head with almost no retention, and no lacing at all. Color is a yellow-gold-amber.

Aroma - of course the first thing is that famous "Beck's skunk" odor that so many people find disgusting. I don't love it exactly, but I like it enough to enjoy the beer. Anyway, it's that odor, which I would desrcribe (for us BA's) as a very spicy hops odor. Some sweet grainy malt comes through, all the while that spicy hops dominates.

Taste - A lot like the nose, spicy hops and grainy malt upfront, mildly spicy wateriness (?) in the middle followed by bitter hops finish, sometimes slight alcohol astringency with that finish. Spicy hop aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - full to moderate, a little chewy. Moderate carbonation. Slight to moderate hop slickness.

Drinkability - this goes down easy, and can put down several in a session. This is not great beer by any means, but it's not bad, either, and will do when it's all that can found when far from sources of great craft brews. And, certainly I'll take it over the vast majority of Am. Macro Brews.

05-04-2006 19:49:52 | More by ultralarry2006
BigBry

Alberta (Canada)

3.23/5  rDev +17.9%

Euro-green bottle with silver foil over neck and cap. Pours a clear yellow color with a good sized white head. Smells a bit hoppy and a bit skunky, maybe some malt in the aroma as well. Taste has some hops to it. Tastes "plain" - not necessarily a bad thing, nothing unusual, just straight up clean taste. This has an OK mouthfeel and the drinkability is good. This is good, too bad it is priced as a premium import.

04-15-2006 19:44:24 | More by BigBry
ReebShorts

Washington

2.55/5  rDev -6.9%

Pours an ultra-pale yellow, thin fading head, and the skunk aroma is already in the air.

As noted above, skunk is upfront in the aroma here, along the same lines as heiniken. On the other side of the skunkiness, picked up on some grains, and unidentified malt.

Mouthfeel somewhat creamy which was unexpected, flavor was typical of this henikenesque variety (and I don't hate heiniken). not something i'd session, but i could drink a couple with a steak dinner.

04-07-2006 05:58:41 | More by ReebShorts
funkengruven

3.13/5  rDev +14.2%

Ahhhh.. Beck's. A brew I haven't visited in years.

This poured from the can to a very pale yellow with a thin weak head. Smell is clean with that typical German lager barley malt smell, which is really not bad. Taste is rather watery. Very little body. Not really bad but not really good either. It however bears that virtue of being easy to drink. A good choice if you're given a choice between this and "The King of Beers" but with so many better offerings out there, I wouldn't strongly recommend this one.

03-30-2006 01:50:45 | More by funkengruven
Vibbly

Missouri

2.38/5  rDev -13.1%

Bottle, pours pretty bright yellow, minimal head and lacing.

I don't know if I'm not only one who notices it, or if there's something wrong with me, but every time I have a Beck's all I can taste and smell is honey. I initially thought I had a weird batch, but it happens every time. It's not totally gross, but it's strange. Aside from that, Beck's tastes like any other macro lager. Certainly not too bad, and even kind of interesting and different, but not at all worth the price.

03-28-2006 05:13:43 | More by Vibbly
TurdFurgison

2.08/5  rDev -24.1%

I poured this into the correct brewery glassware in the Lufthansa business class lounge in the Cologne airport. It looked like any other euro-lager, clear golden color with thin and rapidly disappearing head. Amazingly this was skunked, even though I was sampling it in Germany! Disappointing but not really unexpected...

Poor flavor (most of the flavor was the skunk, as I think there is no real malt or hops flavor in this beer). I plan to forget this beer and never look back.

03-19-2006 21:33:57 | More by TurdFurgison
ommegangpbr

2.63/5  rDev -4%

Unsalted Saltine crackers soaked in hop-flavored seltzer. That pretty much sums up this brew for me. Seltzer, crackers, some hops bitterness, guzzleable... nothing to really sing about. Not offensive, but this just barely qualifies as beer. No wonder it's (probably) the best selling German beer in the US. I wonder how many Germans actually drink this stuff.

03-14-2006 03:29:54 | More by ommegangpbr
ColoradoBobs

Colorado

2.58/5  rDev -5.8%

24 ounce bottle -- 2 in 1, so to speak. What am I getting myself into? I should be reviewing this in the middle of the summer, which is the best time for a pilsener. At least it's German, which means no rice, no corn and no additives, right?

Light pale yellow with a big white head that diminishes quickly to almost nothing. Mild malt smell: crackers, white bread, with a hint of hops and that cheap pilsener skunkiness. Pretty bland. Taste is lightly malty, light hops bitterness, mostly just fizzy fizziness with a note of skunk. Mouthfeel is fizzy skunk. Very drinkable, but then, who would want to?

03-07-2006 05:40:45 | More by ColoradoBobs
kbnooshay

1.55/5  rDev -43.4%

I feel like I am poisoning myself with each sip...

A- Bottle states best by 11.2006. This pours a very light gold color with a good sized white foamy head that did not last. Decent lacing.

S- Sulfer, skunk(real skunk not normal skunky beer but this REALLY SMELLS LIKE THE SPRAY OF A SKUNK, SERIOUSLY!). The smell almost scared me away. I payed 2 bucks for this 24 ouncer so I am going to tackle it. Really hard to pick up anything else here. Just disgusting. Also got a whiff of a grainy cereal.

T- This kind of tastes like how I would imagine fire burned flesh to taste. No malt flavor here, just pure skunk water ass. The flavor does contain some grassy flavors and some grainy hop flavor that is barely there. But really what else is there to describe? This is pungent hell. Every time I take a sip my nose warns me not to go through with it.

MF/D: The mouthfeel is Light and watery. Drinkability is Not as bad as bad as milwaukee's best but fucking awful.

A huge step down from the big american non light macros, and that is pretty sad becuase of course those suck for the most part.

03-06-2006 21:31:16 | More by kbnooshay
nitemarebrewer

2.25/5  rDev -17.9%

Poured beer from bottle into a clear glass, it is pale and poured thin.
The beer smells a little off, similar to a heineken. It has a thin mouth-feel and tastes like it smells. Has a bit of a bite, but not from hops, more atringent and unpleasant. The aftertaste is significant, sits heavy on the palate. Not pleasant.
Not a beer I would pick up for sole consumption. Perhaps with a salty and greasy meal?

03-01-2006 20:07:10 | More by nitemarebrewer
Drew966

2.3/5  rDev -16.1%

This beer pours a yellow color with a decent sized head from a one pint can that dissipated quickly. Smell is kind of grainy. The taste manages to retain its skunkiness even though I purchased a can to avoid it being light struck from those green bottles Beck's favor. There is a metallic taste that seems to go away after the first couple of sips. Fairly drinkable Euro lager, perhaps a step up from American macros, but not much.

02-26-2006 23:53:00 | More by Drew966
sid

4.43/5  rDev +61.7%

Beck's is a great beer, goes down easy, nice smell and tastes great!!! A true staple in the beer culture and the 710mL is by far the best sampling.
Taste starts off smooth on the tongue...but at the end, nice bitterness on the back of the throat. Very little carbonation, nice head, a great beer!

02-26-2006 15:51:18 | More by sid
scottoale

2.55/5  rDev -6.9%

12oz green glass bottle pours a very pale gold with decent carbonation and a small, bubbly white head. The head only sticks around for a minute or two leaving no lacing so to speak.

Off the nose it smells very skunky with a light, grainy hint of straw. Pretty much brings back memories of when this was a regular selection of mine some thirty years ago, LOL.

Taste is skunky yet balanced. Light grains and lightly hopped makes for a light body (almost watery) Pilsner, thats quite easy to drink, if the skunky-ness doesn't bother you.

I think this would taste even more refreshing with a slice of lime on a hot summer's night.

02-25-2006 22:40:55 | More by scottoale
nagyonz

Hungary

3.2/5  rDev +16.8%

Appearence: light yellow, like straw. Foam is long-lasting, steady.
Smell- silky, a little bit sweet.
Taste- good-carbonated, very drinkable, but nothing special. Clear, just a few hop feeels in it, but in the aftertaste there's more, which makes it bitter.

02-24-2006 18:50:14 | More by nagyonz
allergictomacros

2.58/5  rDev -5.8%

A - Clear, straw coloured. Creamy white head without staying power.

S - Clean, crisp. Some floral/grassy hops. Some grain, and some old, rank pee.

T - Not a lot. Some bitterness that tells me that this is, indeed, a beer. Barely.

M - Light body. Medium carbonation. Nothing to be speak of really.

D - Sure. I could drink a lot of it. Wouldn't want to really. This is perhaps the least reaction I've had to any beer in a long time. I'm not really offended or anything... just so blah about it.

02-07-2006 02:26:14 | More by allergictomacros
Pepeton

Mexico

3.03/5  rDev +10.6%

Found this one in my supermarket and couldn't resist to buy it. Good thing it didn't come in full six packs.

Light straw yellow color, small white head and almost no lacing.

Malts are barely detectable to the nose.

Taste is of a lager: Crisp and refreshing.

Mouthfeel is lightly dry and with a nice finish. Lightly bitter

I can have several of these, but I can find cheaper and better beers than this one, both imports and domestics.

¡Salud!

02-05-2006 21:54:12 | More by Pepeton
laituegonflable

Australia

2.65/5  rDev -3.3%

Quite pale in colour, in fact it's very much the colour I really like. Or rather, a lot of beers I would happily drink after a long day at the factory screwing caps onto toothpaste bottles. But nothing I would savour to drink on my fiftieth birthday surrounded by my closest friends. A good bit of lacing around the inside of the glass, good bit of condensation around the outside - although that's more to do with temperature than the beer itself. Head was small and dissipated quickly.

Nose - virtually non-existent. Where are you, smell??? Maybe it's my nasal cavity, I mean I can tell it smells like beer but it's faint and really there's nothing distinctive. Smells watery, that's about all.

Taste is the slightest bit intriguing. Have never been a huge fan of Beck's but this drop is okay. It's slightly European, in that there is a fruity hint on the front palatte but subtly so. In this case it may be too subtle as the palatte quickly descends into a standard lagery flavour. It's quite good however - nothing to write your mother about, but very drinkable. Like, it's a nicely even blend of bitter and sweet flavours.Nothing overwhelming (which is really a bad thing, since there's nothing distinctive about it) but certainly drinkable. I'd recommend this for a 'hard-earned thirst' long before I'd recommend Victoria Bitter, for example. But then I wouldn't feed VB to my worst dog who was already dead and rotting and crawling with maggots...

02-02-2006 07:33:21 | More by laituegonflable
murphysbleachers

2.85/5  rDev +4%

12oz bottle into a pilsener glass:
Appearance: Very pale yellow. Quick fading head. No lacing.
Smell: Faint malt sweetness. Nothing else.
Taste: Sweet malt start and a lingering bitter finish (not entirely pleasant bitterness, but faint and you can always take another sip to get that sweetness again).
Mouthfeel: A little watery.
Drinkability: Can and have drank lots of these. Never my first or second choice.

01-31-2006 04:28:50 | More by murphysbleachers
granger10

Wisconsin

3.08/5  rDev +12.4%

This beer has a light yellow color, head starts out medium and fizzy, but soon dwindles down to nothing. Lacing is scant.

Aroma is somewhat sour but not skunked with some fruity notes and grassy hop flavor.

Taste begins with a sharp sweet grain flavor. The beer gets a bit watery towards the middle until the distinct grassy pils hops come out. They are also sharp and come and go quickly. A bit of a sour note underneath but I don't think this one is skunked. Finish is a bit sweet losing the sharpness the beer had before and I have a grain husk flavor left in my mouth.

The body is light and the carbonation is lacking. I like the sharper flavors and softer finish but the mouthfeel is fairly weak in this beer.

This is actually decently drinkable yet its boring and would really only do the job if you were really thirsty. There are much better offerings out there.

01-30-2006 23:15:59 | More by granger10
Wasatch

Utah

2.38/5  rDev -13.1%

A - Pours a yellow color, some carbonation, very little lacing.

S - The scent was of hops and sweet malts.

T - The taste was kinda malty, but watery.

M - Light Body.

D - Drinkable Last year I really liked this brew, but now it's hard for me to drink, as well as alot of others.

01-25-2006 00:26:56 | More by Wasatch
blackie

2.68/5  rDev -2.2%

appearance: The pour creates a white head about 1/10 of an inch in thickness that soon becomes only a ring and a thin layer. The beer is a very clear golden hay color.

smell: light malt sweetness, grain, grassy hops...some light fruity hints

mouthfeel: The carbonation is just under medium, and the body on the thicker side of the light range. There is some kind of slickness, sweetness, or maybe just a bad feeling that sticks around, that I don't like.

taste: Pretty much a light grainy/bready sweetness and some grassy hops. The aftertaste sucks...cooked, watery vegetables and a corny taste.

drinkability: I guess easy to drink, but kinda boring, and some of the off flavors make it less enjoyable. The mouthfeel and aftertaste are also big turnoffs.

This beer was part of a "German Beer Hall Tour" mixed pack I received for Christmas. A best before date of 08.2006 is printed on the reverse label, followed by the code L 23559 B.

01-23-2006 00:30:59 | More by blackie
casualbeerman

3.3/5  rDev +20.4%

Since Czechvar can ship a beer from the Czech Republic in a green bottle and have it taste fresher than most beers brewed in America, and this didn't taste too bad in the can, I decided bottled Beck's was worth a try. And it was, this is a decent beer in the bottle. Appearance is pretty good. You can't see the color through the bottle, but if you could it'd be a light amber like it was in the can. No head at all and no visible lacing. Smell is very light, a little hoppy, in a word it's crisp. Taste is ok but kind of weak. Its slightly sweet, has a little bit of hops, and a vague sour aftertaste. Not bad, but its got a slight tendency to taste like seltzer water. Mouthfeel was, like a beer. Not like say Redhook, but pretty typical of a pilsner. Carbonation was pleasant and even. Drinkability was good. This pretty refreshing and certainly not harsh. I deducted a half-point for the sour aftertaste, but that's really more of an assumption it the taste might get tired than a complaint. I only had one and it was not hard to drink at all.
Conclusion- It wasn't very interesting, but it wasn't bad at all. Certainly a good "lawnmower" type beer. Better than any American attempt a pilsner that I've tried yet. And a much better idea than Heineken if you want to look sophisticated by drinking an import but only know one or two names. All the same, for the price I'd say Czechvar is the pils to buy (or Urquell if you like uneccessary harshness and prefer Heineken to Beck's). I think Stella is slightly better as well. But this does beat every American pils (read Macro) lager I've had. If served this for free I'd be very happy, but there are tons of better (and often cheaper) brews you can usually find. Czechvar was is the superlative beer America's "Budweiser" is the mutant bastard version of. Beck's about splits the difference, what Budweiser should realistically taste like considering its so cheaply made and made for such a wide demographic.

01-19-2006 03:20:22 | More by casualbeerman
Beck's from Brauerei Beck & Co.