Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Beck's | Brauerei Beck & Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Germany | website

Style: German Pilsener

Added by Bierman9 on 02-18-2002

Reviews: 680 | Ratings: 2,020

Bottled in Feb 13 2015 - held up well. This is a good German lager that follows the reinheitsgebot law for purity. A nice well made balanced beer. Hint of malt sweetness balanced by hop bitterness on the finish. I have always liked this beer and find it a refreshing summer beer.

1.51/5  rDev -46.8%

Horrible beer now brewed in St. Louis although the U.S. label claims "German purity". It smells like skunk and has a bitter, overpowering taste and leaves a dry aftertaste in my mouth. I was disappointed and mad when I spent more money for this beer and tried it for the first time. I couldn't even get past the few sips I was able to force myself to drink. This shouldn't be marketed in the U.S. as a quality German beer. Never again.

Crisp, refreshing, bitter finish, really well balanced German pilsner. An overall great drinkable beer and one of the better German pilsners. Not sure why such a low rating on the site.

3.74/5  rDev +31.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

16oz canned version:
This is a good German Pilsener-Euro lager, and in some ways, its slightly better than Heineken and Stella Artois. Even though this is the American version, its still good. I Paid only $3.99 for a 4pk of 16oz cans, no skunkiness and tasted nice and fresh. The best thing about this is there's no corn and no rice adjuncts.

3.77/5  rDev +32.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer is better than all the Budweisers, millers, foster of the world.

I used stay in Los angeles sometime back, my staple used to be Gordon Biersch blonde bock, used be a very nice beer with excellent body, color and taste, slightly stronger, but then bock' are meant to be that way. Becks was my other favorite different beer styles but fantastic in it's own right. I haven't tasted a better lager than becks, but then i haven't been to Germany.

4.32/5  rDev +52.1%

The beer has a bit of a sulfur smell, and is bitter, but I like it, and its distinct flavor. Again, I think in a blind taste test it would do better.

3.84/5  rDev +35.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Clear, pale straw appearance with a thin white head. Shows good carbonation. Light aroma of bready malts and some grassy hops. Slight hint of skunkiness that disappeared quickly. Taste is of mild malts and hops with a nice lemon quality. Nice bit of bitterness on the finish. Good, mild-medium body. Finishes rather dry. Crisp and refreshing. Overall, a quality beer. It's approachable and more interesting than many other more mainstream beers.

12 oz bottle
Bottle Code: 15024 (I'm assuming this is a bottled on date - January 24, 2015)
Served in a Pilsner glass
Product of USA

3.47/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A German style lager, quite weak in taste, and very cheap. However, it still beats most local beers here in Finland by its competetive price and taste. An all-around "drinking" beer.

2.85/5  rDev +0.4%

Very inoffensive, nearly tasteless, not too carbonated beer. It's a decent cheap option if on sale and in my opinion better than a Bud Light or Miller but not good enough to justify buying it if it's significantly more than those options. This is a real "drinking" beer.

2.93/5  rDev +3.2%

For me it is one step up from fosters, heiniken, miller and bud. Nothing special but better than some of the other global brands. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy Beck's again but in a tight spot or given to me I would happily drink and enjoy it. It's just an ok, decent pilsner i guess.

Yeah it's basically "cheaper beer" supposedly brewed in accordance with German Purity Law. In St. Louis MO! Ha haa. But at my local store, when my BAC is definitely over .08 I ride my damn bike for 5.99 a 6. I won't frown when I drink it!
It's a little more skunky than Fosters but in the same category also with Heineken.
Most often when I want a beer, I'd rather have a "Refreshing" beer than an over hopped, overly ambitious "Craft", "Micro" or some other beer that at least in Northern California passes as the standard. "Torpedo" from Sierra Nevada is a perfect example. Sure it's high gravity, who cares? It's Sour as F*&$ and not worth the $.
Sierra Nevada Crystal Wheat however is a good refreshing CA brew but not strong enough for the Winter! I want to support CA Breweries but I have not found a Domestic that I can say I love.
Does anyone have a suggestion for a CA or at least US brewed Bock or Doppel Bock? In the meantime I'll hit Bev Mo and get an import Bock...
Why don't U.S. and California "Micro" Breweries brew and bottle a Bock or Doppelbock or at least a "Malt Forward" Lager??? For those of us who are more into Malt than Hops! I'm stupefied at the Average Californian's taste for Beer!
Sláinte

4.42/5  rDev +55.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Very refreshing and one of my favorite German Pilsner. Great clear color and best if it's ice cold. Smooth and clean ingredients won't give you any headaches even after you finish 6 bottles by yourself. ;)

2.21/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Bright pale straw color. Weak 1 finger head, quickly dead.

Highly skunky smell with some corn. Faint bitter malt flavors, slightly citrus.

Light slick body with prickly carbonation. Faint and short bitter finish ending with a smoky skunky dry feel.

Overall : Too bland, almost no flavors. A little stale, missing some freshness.

3.73/5  rDev +31.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Green, the color of sickness, the color of sallow malevolence. This beer almost always comes in green bottles, which usually is indicative of skunky goodness. My best intentions led me to purchase this brew in cans, which led me down a path of darkness and pain. This is my own fault, and I abhor creation and the almighty himself for the suffering invoked after a night of consuming this blasphemous nectar. I awoke with a head pierced by a dagger of molten ore and pounding fury. My mouth was an arid, dessicated abyss where only demons and harlots dare tread. All of this, in the name of Teutonic superiority. Would I recommend this beer? If you wish to gaze into the the eyes of Satan, then wholeheartedly.

2.85/5  rDev +0.4%

It was late at night and it we were outside looking for the full moon. Found the bag of canned Beck's and we were thirsty from running the last 2 miles of trail. The air was cold, the beer was cold and we were thirsty. Aww Beck's, the right beer at the right time.

3.06/5  rDev +7.7%

Nothing special, but a solid German Pilsener. Plenty of malts and grains with a touch of hops, moderate bodied and goes down fairly smoothly. A good beer with meals, I find it goes very good with pasta and other Italian foods.

Don't drink it much anymore, but before the craft beers took off, this was one of my goto beers.

3.08/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Like many others, I'm reviewing this for old times' sake and because it was marked down....I go with an aggressive pour from a 22 ounce green bomber produces about a 3/4 inch head that settles quickly but does stick pretty well. It's a medium straw color with carbonation just a little on the high side. It has a sparkle to it and looks kinda pretty.

Skunky and floral aromas and flavors. I suppose there are noble hops present but the skunk overrides them to a large degree. It's really tough to detect any malt flavor. Thin mouth feel but fairly thirst quenching.

Granted that this isn't craft beer, it's not swill either. I remember me and a friend getting this or St. Pauli on payday back in the stone age (1980s). We thought we were pretty darn worldly and sophisticated! I sometimes still like beers such as Becks or Heinies for the lawnmowing or fence painting. I had not tried a Becks in awhile. I might have to go for a St. Pauli next.

2.56/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Format: a slim 330mL green bottle with a decent macro label.

Appearance: a light yellow colour with a small white head that drops away pretty quickly.

Aroma: some florals and some citrus, but really quite light in aroma. A touch of malt.

Taste: malts with a small amount of caramel and that citrus again. Okay at best.

Aftertaste: not much on the finish - not even a skerrick of bitterness.

Mouth feel: lighter in body with a pretty weak carbonation. Not the best.

Overall: not the best pilsener I have had by a pretty large margin. It is cheap at AU$39 a case, so take your pick I guess.

3.25/5  rDev +14.4%

Not a bad beer, but neither what I expected when I bought it as an imported craft beer, it's still fresh and funny to drink, would not buy an importation again, but with a discount (or in Germany as well) I think it would work perfectly at a party for me.

4.75/5  rDev +67.3%

As you can tell from my profile picture, I love Beck's. It so simple that it's brilliant. I first had a Beck's when I was seventeen, and I have loved them since. I highly recommend these and all of their other flavours.

3.25/5  rDev +14.4%

This is a classic Pilsner where the malt is highlighted and for the most part singular. The nose is bready, doughy, obviously Pilsner malty and has a toasted aroma.

The flavor has a crackery Pilsner malt taste with a tad of bitterness and a clean feel. This is super easy to drink, is very light and not nearly as poor as one would believe.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

One of my favorite beers. Light but almost medium mouthfeel. Skunks smell but in a good way. Good carbonation maybe a bit much. Bitter but smooth. Very good beer

2.25/5  rDev -20.8%

i Bought it walmart in a 12 pack, was wanting something i hadnt had before. first i have to admit i am a fan of IPA and strong flavors. This does not have a strong flavor. it had good carbonation and mouthfeel, almost like a sprite. the flavor wasnt there, none, zilch. if someone gave it to me i would drink it but i wont buy it again. plain old budweiser or Miller has beer taste than this. I expected more from a German beer and now i feel betrayed , let down and disappointed.

3.16/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A: crystal clear; pale yellow; less than a 1 finger white head that receded to a thin collar; light lacing;

S: light malt; no hops;

T: light and crisp; pale malt with a bit of hops in the background; light bitterness on the finish;

M: light bodied; moderate carbonation;

O: nothing great and nothing awful;

2.58/5  rDev -9.2%

Time for another lager. I am going to try to lose weight by drinking more beer and eating less. Is that plausible? I dunno. It sounds fun though!

Appearance (3.25) : Foamy white, almost artificial looking (like school glue or marshmallow creme) head. It's sitting at about 2 fingers. Body is a transparent pale straw color with lots of clarity.

Aroma (2) : I can smell it from here, the vegetal smells and rotten garbage corn. BUT, let's see what it's like up close...

Musty corn, maybe some distant barley. But mostly just musty corn.

Taste (2.75) : Marginally better than the aroma, but the first word that comes to mind is "funky". First taste is washed out corn, then some musty barley notes, and finally it ends with a semi-dry corn/faint hop taste. I really don't have much more to say.

Mouthfeel (2.75) : Stabbing carbonation with a very light creamy underbelly. Light bodied as to be expected. Ends semi-dry.

Overall (2.58) : It's not a bad beer, and it's not something I'd avoid like the plague. I just would probably never drink it again unless it was offered to me for free. It's just got this linear cornfest thing going on, with diaper and musty barley. Can't shake it.

Beck's from Brauerei Beck & Co.