Beck's - Brauerei Beck & Co.

Beck'sBeck's

poor

poor

pDev: 24%
Brauerei Beck & Co. visit their website
Germany

German Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 02-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beck's Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,878 | Reviews: 692
3.31/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

this beer is pretty good.

2.56/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Format: a slim 330mL green bottle with a decent macro label.

Appearance: a light yellow colour with a small white head that drops away pretty quickly.

Aroma: some florals and some citrus, but really quite light in aroma. A touch of malt.

Taste: malts with a small amount of caramel and that citrus again. Okay at best.

Aftertaste: not much on the finish - not even a skerrick of bitterness.

Mouth feel: lighter in body with a pretty weak carbonation. Not the best.

Overall: not the best pilsener I have had by a pretty large margin. It is cheap at AU$39 a case, so take your pick I guess.

2.3/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Ok drinkable only buy on special

3.25/5  rDev +18.2%

Not a bad beer, but neither what I expected when I bought it as an imported craft beer, it's still fresh and funny to drink, would not buy an importation again, but with a discount (or in Germany as well) I think it would work perfectly at a party for me.

4.75/5  rDev +72.7%

As you can tell from my profile picture, I love Beck's. It so simple that it's brilliant. I first had a Beck's when I was seventeen, and I have loved them since. I highly recommend these and all of their other flavours.

3.25/5  rDev +18.2%

This is a classic Pilsner where the malt is highlighted and for the most part singular. The nose is bready, doughy, obviously Pilsner malty and has a toasted aroma.

The flavor has a crackery Pilsner malt taste with a tad of bitterness and a clean feel. This is super easy to drink, is very light and not nearly as poor as one would believe.

3.25/5  rDev +18.2%

Not the best German beer, but it is ok.

I wished they had other German beer here in L.A..

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

One of my favorite beers. Light but almost medium mouthfeel. Skunks smell but in a good way. Good carbonation maybe a bit much. Bitter but smooth. Very good beer

2.25/5  rDev -18.2%

i Bought it walmart in a 12 pack, was wanting something i hadnt had before. first i have to admit i am a fan of IPA and strong flavors. This does not have a strong flavor. it had good carbonation and mouthfeel, almost like a sprite. the flavor wasnt there, none, zilch. if someone gave it to me i would drink it but i wont buy it again. plain old budweiser or Miller has beer taste than this. I expected more from a German beer and now i feel betrayed , let down and disappointed.

3.16/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A: crystal clear; pale yellow; less than a 1 finger white head that receded to a thin collar; light lacing;

S: light malt; no hops;

T: light and crisp; pale malt with a bit of hops in the background; light bitterness on the finish;

M: light bodied; moderate carbonation;

O: nothing great and nothing awful;

2.58/5  rDev -6.2%

Time for another lager. I am going to try to lose weight by drinking more beer and eating less. Is that plausible? I dunno. It sounds fun though!

Appearance (3.25) : Foamy white, almost artificial looking (like school glue or marshmallow creme) head. It's sitting at about 2 fingers. Body is a transparent pale straw color with lots of clarity.

Aroma (2) : I can smell it from here, the vegetal smells and rotten garbage corn. BUT, let's see what it's like up close...

Musty corn, maybe some distant barley. But mostly just musty corn.

Taste (2.75) : Marginally better than the aroma, but the first word that comes to mind is "funky". First taste is washed out corn, then some musty barley notes, and finally it ends with a semi-dry corn/faint hop taste. I really don't have much more to say.

Mouthfeel (2.75) : Stabbing carbonation with a very light creamy underbelly. Light bodied as to be expected. Ends semi-dry.

Overall (2.58) : It's not a bad beer, and it's not something I'd avoid like the plague. I just would probably never drink it again unless it was offered to me for free. It's just got this linear cornfest thing going on, with diaper and musty barley. Can't shake it.

Appearance – Very weak head is raised from this golden brew and little to no lacing to be seen.

Smell – When you crack a bottle it smells like a freshly cut field of corn, and I do mean corn, not maze!!

Taste – It has a mild taste with a mellow hint of the grains it is brewed from which hits you from the front to the back of the tongue. To my mind no other flavours are to be detected but it is an extremely pleasing pilsner.

Mouthfeel – A nicely medium bodied carbonated beer with mild linger.

Over all – I will go on record now and say I actually do like Becks. It is not great and I appreciate that, but it is a Pilsener and as such is a simple brew and it does that very well. Perfect chilled to near freezing on a scorching summer’s day! A highly drinkable number and I find it to be very refreshing. Not too strong which also makes it a good drink for a night on the tiles. If you know everyone else is going to get messy on a night out then this one will keep you in the game till only you are left standing. Mind the hangover though!

Can't really go wrong with a German Pilsener. Not great, but in a place with shitty beer selection, this stuff isn't too bad. Also not bad at German restaurants because it is light and good with food.

1.5/5  rDev -45.5%

Shaker pint glass.

Clear light golden body. Fizzy white head. Random spots of watery lacing.

Smells metallic and skunky.

Tastes exactly as it smells. Sour notes, really skunky.

Overall, just a complete skunk bomb. I can't believe people prefer to drink this.

2.5/5  rDev -9.1%

Short and sweet:

Party beer, and I would walk past it if it wasn't on sale.

1.41/5  rDev -48.7%

Pretty standard watery beer with extra skunk added. My review is short because there is simply not much to describe.

3.18/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Sampling right now on 7/22/14 and it has been a long since I had a regular "Beck's", probably since Orlando but that was 4 years ago easy. Originally from Germany but now brewed in the USA by the Bud folks in St. Louis, Missouri. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a vintage 11.2 ounce (330ml) 'Beck's handled-glass stein.

Pours a straw-yellow in color with a thin white head that settles down to just along the sides of the glass. No lacing is really seen, just a bit when sipped. The aroma is not much of really, just some grains. Not 'skunky' though like so many that come in a green bottle for some reason. The taste is pretty much the same just of some grain and hops. Not bitter but just plain for the most part. Overall, it is OK but nothing special but is smooth and refreshing. Bit watered-down though.

2.9/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Purchased from one of the local quick marts.

A: Decent straw golden with good head and retention.

S: Grain, malt and light hop. Kinda plain.

T: Same as the smell.

M: Smooth and refreshing. Maybe a tad watery.

O: This beer isn't as bad as many make it out to be, but not as good as I remember.

2.71/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Serving: Bottle, from the bottle
Served: 13 July 2014

Appearance: Had this one from the bottle, but the bottle is green which is never a good sign with beer, especially 'imports'. Label says it was brewed in St. Louis according to German Reinheitsgebot.

Smell: This bottle isn't skunked, so that's good. Smells otherwise of light, sweet malts, and some astringent earthiness.

Taste: You can tell this one is all-grain when you compare it to American macros, which is nice, but it doesn't make up for much. The taste is slightly fuller than a Miller Lite but has a weird funk to it that definitely isn't skunkiness and is certainly something else.

Mouthfeel: High carbonation at least makes this one refreshing.

Overall: Not a great beer, and one that I would only drink if it was free at a party.

3.87/5  rDev +40.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I agree with previous reviewers that this used to be a much, much better beer. It still isn't bad though I prefer Beck's to Heineken any day.

Appeareance is a dark-ish straw color. Not much to speak of. 1 finger head fairly persistent slight lacing. Smell used to smell great and skunky, like some good dank marijuana. Now it smells like Bud Light nonsense. Same witrh the taste, like pisswater now. I am reviewing what I used to like with those numbers, not the case I recently drank.

Well, my good sir, this thingy here tastes a little bit like bloody freaking motherfucking water. Fuck you. And fuck Beck's. And fuck this comment lenght.
This is so bloody unpolite to be called beer when it is not a beer and is more like a cat piss, Sir, pardon me, but this banana smells like a manzana.

2.3/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

I used to love drinking Becks on a hot summer day. Haven't had it in a few years though. I knew something was wrong from the first sip, I thought it was just too old or something. But then I learn that it's brewed in the USA now by InBev. What a difference, and not in a good way.

There's less of that lager skunk that I used to love in this beer. More corn. Less aftertaste. It tasted stale and soulless.

Congrats Inbev, you've ruined another brand. Next I'm craving a good euro lager, I'll make a better choice. Even many American euro style lagers are insanely better. Prima Pils from Victory comes to mind.

2.11/5  rDev -23.3%

12 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present. Another bottle gifted to me from the neighbors. I could've sworn I reviewed this one before, but I guess not. I can't see this one being much different than the rest of them, though. "Originated in Bremen, Germany". "Product of USA". Expectations are low.

Poured into a miniature pint glass adorned with Victorian carriages.

A - Pours a pale golden yellow with some decent clarity. Just a shade darker than some of the crappier macros out there. Conjures about three fingers of foamy bone white head with decent staying power. Not a bad looking beer, for what it is.

S - The smell is of the usual suspects - adjunct corn & grains, dusty German pilsner malts,

T - Taste follows the nose - adjunct corn / grain, dusty wheat pilsner malt, and wet cardboard. Grainy and slightly metallic on the finish.

M - The feel is crisp, grainy, papery, and watery. Light-bodied, with mildly coarse carbonation. Non-refreshing, in my opinion.

Overall, another poor everyday macro. Tastes pretty much exactly the same as the rest of them do, and even considering that fact, I would probably rather drink something like Heineken Light instead.

Beck's ---2/5.

2.58/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Back when I was a green bottle style of beer drinker, I loved this. Even when I moved away and into more craft styles, I still loved the hell out of Beck's. Now it sucks. The move to St. Louis was not good. Dunno if the recipe changed or the water's that different, but this beer is nothing like it used to be. That being said, I'm going to review it anyways.

A: Shade darker than the straw yellow macro. Vigorous carbonation. Finger of bleahced head. Rapid dissipation. Minimal lacing. Bubbles are fairly large. Carbonation is audible, but not fizzy on the level of a BMC.

S: This is where things quickly go downhill. Very muted smell. Slightly spicy hop presence. Hell, this one is so faint its not even skunky. Crackery malt, slightly salt. Maybe a bit of lemon. Again, the aromas are very muted.

T: The taste is muted, too. No spicy, herbal kick. Hell, no skunk. Just bland grainy sweetness followed by a small hit of noble hoppiness (and I mean small) and then back to the grain. Slightly metallic sweetness on the finish.

M: Easy enough. This one is fairly carbonated. Big bubbles prickle the tongue. Not quite overly seltzer, but still, lotsa bubbles.

O: Sucks. Well, not really. It's palatable. But it's obviously not the same beer that was made in Bremen. And it's a step down from that. While Beck's may was a craft phenom, I always enjoyed it. This....this lacks even the small amount of flavor that Beck's had. I'm hugely disappointed that they moved the brewery to the states. Will not buy again.

TL;DR - AB InBev sucks and I'm an idiot for buying this.

3.17/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured from 16 oz can into schooner glass
Appearance: 1" white head recedes quickly. Mild lacing. Pale straw color with moderate carbonation evident.
Aroma: fairly mild, some cereal grain, a bit of grassiness.
Mouthfeel: light, watery and crisp. Finish is dry.
Flavor: toasted white bread, malt sweetness, a lingering hop bitterness.

Beck's from Brauerei Beck & Co.