Beck's - Brauerei Beck & Co.

Brauerei Beck & Co. visit their website

German Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 02-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beck's Alström Bros
Reviews: 668 | Hads: 1,918
3.17/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured from 16 oz can into schooner glass
Appearance: 1" white head recedes quickly. Mild lacing. Pale straw color with moderate carbonation evident.
Aroma: fairly mild, some cereal grain, a bit of grassiness.
Mouthfeel: light, watery and crisp. Finish is dry.
Flavor: toasted white bread, malt sweetness, a lingering hop bitterness.

3.2/5  rDev +12.7%

Can bought from local newsagents. 500ml, 5.0% Vol.

Let me just start off by saying that I think this lager gets a lot of stick.

This lager pours a lovely golden colour, typical for a premium lager. There is quite a bit of head on this one.

The smell is fairly weak. Not as pronounced as other premium lagers.

Tastes like a premium lager. Not overpowering, but with enough flavour. Similar to Stella Artois.

I'll never forget when I went camping. We had crates of Bud and Beck's. I'd alternate between the two, and Beck's blew Bud away every time.

BUD should be slapped for ruining this one time great beer. Sorry I really cant hold back the new Becks is pure shix!

BE WARNED STAY AWAY FROM THIS STUFF as well as the Becks Dark. I see that many of the chain stores have it on sale for a while now and its not moving...

2.24/5  rDev -21.1%

Well I have to agree with the majority this beer really lost something in the transfer from Germany to STL. I really enjoyed this beer in the late 80's. The beer was robust and well worth the price at that time. The flavor just was outstanding! I felt as if I were in Germany just by drinking it! I'm trying to be nice here the color is great, it pours okay but then I have to drink it and I say to myself what happened? I hope inbev will address this situation but I understand its all about money to some people.

3.07/5  rDev +8.1%

12oz bottle (date stamp 13325 SM26) poured into a .2l polar glass.

Appearance: Clear yellow to light gold color. Thin white head with an occasional island of lacing.

Smell: Apple, light clean lager smell.

Taste: A bit sweet, with a weak crisp finish. A bare amount of noble hops at the finish that comes out a bit more as it warms up.

Mouthfeel: High carbonation approaching fizzy, but not quite.

Overall/Drinkability: Like many German lagers, engineered to be drank in large quantities, and this fits that quality. I could drink more, but, I know there are more flavorful German lagers out there. Therefore this beer is at best average.

2.73/5  rDev -3.9%

Pours from the bottle like any common lager, with a sunny yellow color (with maybe a hint of green) and a white fizzy head. The aroma is a combination of musty hops, a little bit of lemon, and some light cracker-like breadiness. The flavor features sweet cereal grains, a bit of corn, and only a faint earthy hop character. There is also a little bit of a metallic flavor in the finish, which always tends to turn me off. There is some body, but the light, fizzy carbonation cuts right through it. Overall, this beer is fine and drinkable, but not appreciably different than most other common, mass-produced lagers.

2.08/5  rDev -26.8%

16 oz can into a pint glass.

A: Pours a clear straw color. There's one fingers worth of white colored head. While retention isn't great, it's better than other macro lagers.

S: There's some malt sweetness, some corn sweetness, but no skunk, though! Shame there aren't any hops to cut through the malt, though. Better than Bud, at least.

T: Really, there isn't much. It's got malty sweetness, touches of creamed corn, and - most distressingly - a green apple/formaldehyde finish. Finishing bitterness is nonexistent. The flavors aren't any good, and the off notes are the final nail in the coffin.

M: Nice and light on the palate, but too sweet. Carbonation is healthy, as expected.

O: Well, it lived up to my expectations. No more, no less. Next!

2.39/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Smells skunky but isn't overwhelming. There's no noticeable hop aroma or flavor either. This is all malt not even good malt. There is no way that this qualifies as a pilsener. It's kind of pricy cor what you get. It tastes like a generic cheap euro lager.

1.68/5  rDev -40.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

on the way home grabbed a couple beck's bombers (the 24oz. bottle) and poured the first into an imperial pint (19.2oz) took a good slug, and poured the rest into the glass. the level didn't come up that much; the glass should have refilled. and it didn't taste at bit like beck's. i put it down to competing flavours in my mouth left over from dinner.

i looked at the bottle. 22oz(!!). wtf? and it didn't taste like beck's?!? hmmm. paranoia started creeping in to me thoughts.

sure enough--on the front label, instead of brewed in bremen, brewed in st. louis. fuck. another of life's simple pleasures killed by the bean counters.

3.62/5  rDev +27.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

As lagers go, this is a very good choice. Pours with a clear golden color and is topped with a medium foamy head. Aroma is malty where grains are dominant. The taste is therefore initially slightly sweet, followed by a pleasant bitterwsweet body finishing with a slight bitterness. Similar to other lagers, but there is more taste present here. Refreshing and tasty, it’s Beck’s.

2.68/5  rDev -5.6%

12oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- very pale yellow. A decent white head on top but fades quickly.

S- very pale malt sweetness, some very faded hops and some skunk.

T- Very pale malts, slight sweetness. a very feint hop bitterness. Skunk on the backend.

M- Thin. Moderate carbonation lends to a decent, but unremarkable mouthfeel.

O- Straight forward pale lager, that I wouldn't pay more than $20 for a case.

3.02/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

InBev really messed up the greatest beer on my planet...German purity law...scrapped !....Now tastes like a shot of water has been added to every bottle...YUCK !...Trying to locate the Oktoberfest version....MISSING IN ACTION !...WTH ? are they thinking ? Gosh sakes...add a dollar to the price of a 12 pack and go back to the great brew it once was !...I had that sick feeling inside when informed of InBev desires to brew it in a "Bud" plant...Gave it my best try and couldn't believe they would alter it....Very foolish move....As for now, my only redemption is Saranac Oktoberfest and the hunt for a new , regular beer ....Can you say "Spaten"....I can !...By the way, I and my friends think the art work on the bottles is idiotic....really bad !..Can't make up for the watering down ...nope.

3.3/5  rDev +16.2%

Becks is on of thoses beers you have to appreciate the second time around. When I first had it I didn't like it at all. Second time around I tasted the stout-like finish at the bottom of the bottle. It was somehow more smooth. I'm not saying to anyone who reads this to go out and buy becks, but I'm saying that I like it. It has character.

2.07/5  rDev -27.1%

I picked this up in a make your own 6 pack at my local grocery store. Been wanting to try this beer for awhile

First off the smell was just horrid, not as bad as Caguma but not much better, it plain old stunk.

The taste and mouth feel were not much better, carbination, very little taste, and what taste there was wasn't pleasant.

If its your style then good, but I did not enjoy this beer and it actually cause my stomach to get upset.

1.52/5  rDev -46.5%

I got a free carton of Beck's from one of my sales reps at work, as he reps for a German company. I so wish he knew of my penchant from Weihenstephaner. Aaaanyways…long story short, I purchased and consumed many other beers before I finally finished this case in a fit of desperation. This is by all accounts a macro beer. It is lacking in taste, and hardly drinkable, smells ‘orrible, looks clear light-yellow and feels underwhelming. I avoid this beer as it’s very hard to drink. I respect this beer for its worldwide appeal, its high international sales and its country of origin. That’s about it.

2.96/5  rDev +4.2%

500 ml can purchased from LCBO for $2.55 CDN poured into a pint glass. Served cold.

Appearance - 2 fingers of crystal white head sit on top of a clear pale golden colored beer. Decent retention in the head and lots of bubbly goodness is present. Not bad.

Smell - Found this a bit skunky, which was a bit unexpected given the can. Beyond that there was light grassy notes and a hint of something metallic (expected). Smells not really strong but smell crisp and give illusion that the beer will have some bite. Harsh boozy smell, if beer warms too much or as you come to completion of the glass.

Taste - Very mild, slight hop bite but nothing distinctive and no aftertaste left behind. Quite crisp. Not much else to say other than basic German Pilsener tastes.

Mouthfeel - Clean, crisp, high carbonation makes it a bit gassy but doesn't detract too much. Very mild finish that is not distinctive.

Overall - A good refreshing beer, but fails to stand out. BA's won't be impressed, but it's not bad and highly accessible. Quaffable but so many better (if slightly harder to find) options.

2.21/5  rDev -22.2%

I wondered if all the talk of the beer being different was an exaggeration. I was given a 12 pk this spring by my neighbor.

Chilled and poured out of the bottle into a nice clean glass... Where is the hop aroma and bite ?... Really weak and watered down.. I know the becks of old...had it plenty of times... Shame they did this to a beer with the reputation that Becks had.

2.43/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Appearance: clear crystal yellow body with a nice white head; not much on the lacing front

Aroma: sweet bready malts, clean, no more Euro smell, not much else

Flavors: bready, light fresh grass, little sweet grain, a faint hoppy feel, tastes like flavored water - just one more boring Pilsner

Mouthfeel: okay carbonation, clean, too clean,

To the Point: just another tasteless pilsner; right in there with Corona, Land Shark, and the like; I don't remember the last time I had a Beck's but it did not taste like this

3.08/5  rDev +8.5%

Nice Golden color. Pours with about a inch and a half head which slowly dies down leaving a remnant on the sides of the glass.
Taste is not to over powering but has a hopsy taste like a mild pilsner
not fabulous in taste but worth having.
Nothing to stand out. But a very drinkable beer.... Would have to say Average, But enjoyed it
Could actually use a bit stronger pilsner taste....

3.06/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

The beer comes in a clear yellow color.

The aroma has grassy hops and some pale malts.

The flavor has a really good hops for what I would walk in assuming to be a horrible macro brew. It really does a grassy pilsner flavor quite well, but then an adjunct flavor comes in. It's a clean drinking beer, other than that last part of the flavor. Surprisingly decent for a macro.

I would recommend having this on tap or something, instead of a possibly skunked green bottle.

2.27/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

Not a bad beer until it was produced domestically. Save yourself some money and order a Bud; same stuff anyway. The Becks Black is even more disappointing. They added more alcohol but it's the same crummy, fake import. For a few dollars more, go for a Heineken.

3.48/5  rDev +22.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a chilled 12 oz. bottle.

Appearance: Pale golden yellow with a finger of head and decent aeration.
Aroma: Barley mostly, with faint aroma of hops in the background.
Taste: Mostly barley, a little bit of malt and some hops. On a hot summer day, this beer was very refreshing. This is a classic German lager, good for a hot summer day. If you're the kind of person who likes Budweiser, replace it with Beck's and you'll love it.
Mouthfeel: None.
Overall: Except for hot summer days, I don't drink lagers at all. However, this would be my "go-to" lager. I'm coming back to Beck's after maybe 30 years of drinking other beer and I love it that...I love it.

1.35/5  rDev -52.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1

My friends and i have been wondering why the taste has been different lately. (Not good) We now know its because becks is no longer made in germany. It's made in St. Louis. Honestly it is bad by comparison.

Becks was # 3 favorite behind bass & guinness in the world. Now... not sure if i (we) will ever buy another one.

Make that a never period. The complete lack of notification & the tiny colorless writing on the label just adds more distaste to the expirience.

Fyi.. my fav- bass ale may be selling out also. The new "bass india pale ale" is horrid. (Made in usa also). I must have had thousands of each beer ( becks, bass) but now... well it wont be helping the european economic union.

As far as describing the different taste, hhmmm? Just not sure how to put it in words. Just not as strong a tang. (Like a supermarket tomato compared to one fresh from your yard - or local farm). May be the water also. For some reason they just don't taste as clean.

Not sure when this change was made but it seemed around the time the label promo was in effect. (6 months or so we noticed the diff) It was only today we found the product of usa on the bottle. It is sad.

2.03/5  rDev -28.5%

For those that remain unaware of the fact that InBev has ceased bringing German Becks into the United States, and has chosen instead to now brew it at AB in St Louis, you will not be surprised to learn that Becks as we all knew it no longer exists. What we have now is a beer that tastes remarkably like what Budweiser/Michelob USED to taste like! This InBev insult to Becks Brauerei Bremen is almost devoid of hop aroma and character. There is malt to be sure, but it is restrained. We now have a beer for the masses that will elicit little if any comment. This is now a hot weather quencher that can sadly sit along in the ice filled cooler with Coors, MGD, Bud, and light beers ad nauseum. This is what InBev wants it to be.

I drank this beer last night at the UC in Chicago out of a 16 oz can. When I saw the label, Brewed in the USA I knew I had the imposter in hand. Everyone, I implore you, do not buy InBev products if you can help it. Certainly don't buy Becks USA. Do not support their program to buy breweries, cheapen recipes, and ruin what was otherwise good beer. InBev are a plague on this earth. Becks is their latest outrage to the beer drinker. BOYCOTT THIS BEER!

4.25/5  rDev +49.6%

Unfortunately domestic American beers are a joke. I completely gave up on them. Of the foreign beers, beck's has to be one of my favorites. It has a very classic skunky European smell to it, It's nod bad , just a very distinctive odor. It goes well with food or by itself after a long day. It can be found in most stores in my area and has a very affordable price at $3.49 for a 24 oz bottle. I am surprised to see other comments bashing this beer, i suppose it's a case of love it or hate it. Overall 4.25.

Beck's from Brauerei Beck & Co.