Beck's Light - Brauerei Beck & Co.

Beck's Light
No picture uploaded.
awful

awful

Brauerei Beck & Co. visit their website
Germany

Light Lager |  ABV ?

Not to be confused with Beck's Premier Light.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-11-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beck's Light Alström Bros
Reviews by the Alström Bros:
Jason

1.8/5  rDev -18.2%

Presentation: 12 oz clear bottle with a gold foiled neck, “best before end” freshness date on the back label.

Appearance: Very pale yellow, one of the lightest coloured imports I have ever ran into. Decent head retention, sticks well to the glass and holds a two fingered head for a while.

Smell: Astringent grain in the aroma, light hop and a ghost like skunkiness. Odd smelling.

Taste: Saying it is light bodied is not even close. Malt flavour is minimal. Hops are annoying with a lightly brash bitterness. There seems to be an astringent grain flavour that plays tag team with the hops on your taste buds in a bad way. Thin in flavour with a watered down biscuity grain in the dry finish.

Notes: Why? There is no need for this, we have our own light beers to make fun of. This is damn near close to water … tap water at that. If I want light beer, not that I ever do, I’ll just stick to domestic light beer. Don’t waste your time on this one. Has a similarity to Amstel Light though the head is better in this beer.

04-30-2002 20:11:49 | More by Jason
BeerDreadz

1.78/5  rDev -19.1%

12onz green bottle with best before date in the back.

Appearance: Really pale yellow color with some soda like bubbles on top.

Smell: Cooked corn and grains.

Taste: Wattery ,very watery,almost no flavor ,this beer should be the meaning of ultramega light.Remember me sparkling flavored water

Drinkability: What?? There's other things better to drink.

Notes: The worse beer i have taste from this brewery and one of the bottom 5 of all my life.

10-02-2007 05:29:24 | More by BeerDreadz
twi1609372

2.9/5  rDev +31.8%

not horrable overall had this ahile ago, someone bought it instead of regular, not a total loss but is itll perfer regular beck, descent taste not as watered down as some other light beers, yet not as flavorful as some others ie sam light.i reccomend it for a drinker acostoming himself to german brews

08-07-2004 18:02:52 | More by twi1609372
Rifrafboy

2.42/5  rDev +10%

I bought this out of curiosity, being something of a German beer lover. It pours like regular Beck's, looks like regular Beck's, but it isn't Beck's. The taste is very watered down, disappointingly so. I can't really tell much more, other than I hated it. I actually got sick to my stomach drinking this stuff. Sorry, I wanted to like it.

02-17-2003 17:56:11 | More by Rifrafboy
Billolick

2.13/5  rDev -3.2%

Green well known bottle, with, suprise, best before dating. Pours Pissy yellow, clear, medium bubble white head. nose is blandly vegetal. As expected, there is not much to like with this one. Light bodied, minimal pleasing malt character, limited bitterness. What flavor is picked up is skunky, cardboardy. Low carb, low cal, low enjoyment---pass this lame stuff by, I will next time.

03-16-2005 12:15:59 | More by Billolick
magictrokini

2.1/5  rDev -4.5%

Truly a Beck's Light. Has all the taste and aroma of the original, just watered down. Pours light yellow with a bubbly white head. Sweet, yet light, malt and saaz aroma. Bitter Beck's taste, with more water. According to my wife, and the commercial description, this is the lowest-calorie beer out there. I have to say it, this is really not that bad for a light beer.

12-05-2008 19:08:13 | More by magictrokini
Karyyk

South Carolina

2.15/5  rDev -2.3%

Not impressed...AT ALL!!! While never having tasted a Beck's product at all, I picked this up with some expectation. I mean, it's a German beer, right? Germans don't do beer wrong...right? Not exactly... While I know you'll never get full-bodied taste out of a light beer, I never thought I'd get watered-down draft taste out of a bottle, from a German brewer no less.

Color is pale, extremely pale, with a very slight yellow color. Fortunately, if you get it at a bar, the green bottle hides this somewhat, but since I like to pour my beer into a frosty glass or mug, I got to see this up front. To say that I was surprised by just how pale it is would be an understatement. The head at first seems substantial, but quickly dissapates into a thin froth. The smell is quite awful, almost "skunky," but I've smelled worse beers that tasted better.

And oh yes, the taste, let's not forget about that one. To sum this up in one short statement: "HEY! WHERE'S THE BEER?!?" Taste is minimal. There's a bit of bitterness there that hints that this is a beer, maybe even a bit of a honey-like sweetness, but overall, it's fairly tasteless. I guess that's a bit better than it tasting bad, and I do have to admit that it goes well when accompanied by food (cleanses the palatte), but I'm afraid that it doesn't stand very well on its own. I've had better light beers, in fact, I'd rather drink Schafer Light (now from Pabst) at about half the cost for a 12.

It's drinkable, but little more than that. I just had three (with a meal) after having a couple when I got it home, and I think I'm going to save the rest to offer guests. It's not a terrible buy (paid $9.98 for a 12), but not something I'm going to get very often for my own personal drinking.

01-10-2005 06:52:56 | More by Karyyk
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

1.98/5  rDev -10%

Terrible yellow appearance with lots of clarity, no head. Aroma, instead of the nice skunk of regular Beck's, you get a much more watered down aroma. Not bad, but I'd like a descriptor better than 'water' for the aroma of a beer.

Taste, slight bitterness, more water, this seems like it was made for a yuppie guy who doesn't like beer but wants to appear at least a little bit exotic in his choices. Water, water everywhere, and not a drop to drink. A smidge of saaz hops I'd guess.

04-26-2011 18:18:03 | More by Beerandraiderfan
ADR

2.1/5  rDev -4.5%

Tough to guess the style on this one, its more watered-down Pilsner than an American Light Lager...clear bottle, even has a nutritional label (103 calories and 6 g of carbohydrate in case anyone is interested)....

Pale, pale, greenish yellow, "champagne-like" head that lasts for 20 seconds and then is completely gone. Skunky aroma, "Beck's-like" in first impression but very fleeting. The skunk/crisp combo makes is seem mildly "German import-like" but the taste finishes with a distinct distilled water taste. Anyone want the rest of the six pack?

03-11-2002 11:00:14 | More by ADR
VDODSON

North Dakota

02-20-2013 03:25:37 | More by VDODSON
SetarconeX

1.93/5  rDev -12.3%

I went into this beer with no expectations whatsoever. Quite frankly, I hate standard Becks lager, and I picked this Light version up as part of a promo. Usually, low expectations make for good reviews, as there's suddenly a chance for the beer to surprise and impress.

This stuff, however, is truly disgusting. Pours out of the bottle a nearly perfectly clear liquid, with a hint of pilsner yellow. There's a struggling head, initially, but the foam clears in no time at all. It does, however, smell a lot like a standard Becks, which I guess bumps it out of the one star catagory.

The taste is unlike anything I've ever had before, and it does get a couple points for originality. Harsh and astringent, and reminiscent of the worst creamed corn I ever had. No hops, though I do believe I detect a malt in there somewhere, and the strange corn taste. In addition, it leaves an oddly sweet film in my mouth.

Just a dreadful beer, in any number of ways. Best avoided.

05-28-2004 01:49:58 | More by SetarconeX
jmz62565

Connecticut

1.8/5  rDev -18.2%

This beer pours clear extremely pale yellow with a large white foamy head and decent lacing. The smell is very weak,but you can pick out a small skunky aroma and little else. The taste is very thin and watery with just abit of malt and hops present. The m/f is weak and thin with almost no flavor. I know this is a light beer,but how about alittle flavor! If I wanted a water I'd have bought a Poland Springs.

02-11-2007 23:25:26 | More by jmz62565
WoodBrew

2.8/5  rDev +27.3%

Becks Light is not a very good off shoot of Becks regular...the beer pours golden clear with decent head and corbonation to start, both which fade rapidly. The smell is grain/barley and pilsner hops. The taste is sharp, pilsner hops strike first, then a slight balance of malt, the aftertaste is bitter. The mouthfeel is lacking because of the very light body, which is good if it is a hot afternoon. Overall it is a better than bud light...average beer.

10-29-2011 14:08:11 | More by WoodBrew
DOCRW

Washington

02-23-2014 20:38:49 | More by DOCRW
bditty187

Nebraska

2.2/5  rDev 0%

Translucent, very pale yellow hue, smallish white head that disappeared rapidly to a small ring around the edge of the glass. No lace. The nose has powerful influences of grain/husk/hay with an undeniable note of skunk, all in all the bouquet is similar to Beck’s… but lighter and worse. Not inviting. The palate is almost flavorless but what is detectable is largely undesirable… grains and light hops, faint cracker-like malt… the finish is very dry. Watery and thin mouthfeel, it lacks substance. Firm carbonation (if not a little too much). Clean and “refreshing”… mildly sweet aftertaste.

Purchased a single for $1.40. It is an okay specimen of a light lager, not recommended… a touch better than B/M/C light, not as good as Sammy though.

09-19-2003 19:18:06 | More by bditty187
Backer2004

2.85/5  rDev +29.5%

Here's the best part of this beer . . . I think I lost weight frinking it. At 64 calores and very few carbs, it's a nice alternative to Slim Fast. Other than that, I'd rather drink a Miller Lite. Easy to finish but did not make you want to drink another.

08-19-2006 17:25:42 | More by Backer2004
tone77

3.08/5  rDev +40%

Poured from a green 12 oz. bottle. Has a pale yellow color with a small head. Smell is a bit on the skunky side. Taste is crisp, a touch of malts and hops, slightly sweet. Feels light in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall not bad as far as light beers go.

02-23-2010 13:39:30 | More by tone77
Watdatsmelike

2.25/5  rDev +2.3%

02-06-2013 21:19:49 | More by Watdatsmelike
theopholis

1.83/5  rDev -16.8%

Appearance- Crystal clear, light yellow with a very white, fluffy head. No head retention or lacing.

Aroma- Not much smell. What there is is mostly sour mash with just enough hops to let you know it's beer.

Taste- Uh...what taste? Did I miss my mouth? If you took some Coors light, and cut it 50% with seltzer water, this is about what it would taste like. It really doesn't taste bad, it just doesn't have any taste.

Mouthfeel- Light mouthfeel (as it should), medium carboantion.

Drinkability- I wish I hadn't bought a whole sixer of this stuff. Oh well, I have lots of yard work to do.

01-13-2008 20:29:30 | More by theopholis
mikesgroove

South Carolina

1.75/5  rDev -20.5%

Poured a dull straw yellow with a big white fizzy head. Lots of visible carbonation, but the fizzy yellow water type, no lace. The smell was very faint, if there at all. What I could pick up was maybe a hay, or wheat smell. Again very very faint, and hardly there at all. The taste was very light and non descript, but that is about what one would expect from a light lager. A light grain, just enough of a taste to know I was not drinking water would be the best way to describe it. Decent feel, again just the cold well carbonated. Crisp, and a clean finish, no aftertaste. Overall this was totally forgettable, as I imagined it would be. Their version of Bud Light I imagine and if thats the case, it is spot on. Nothing to see here, move along people.

03-05-2011 18:55:27 | More by mikesgroove
CraigTravor

Tennessee

07-20-2014 06:02:03 | More by CraigTravor
FriarPrickly

Tennessee

2.17/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours pale straw clear with whire head that quickly disolves. No lacing but lots of carbonation throughout the glass More than usual.
Immediate hoppy odor when poured. Strong wet paper smell.
Tastes of strong hop, bitter and rough on tongue with hypercarbonation sensation. Watery mouth tastes consistent to back of throat and bitter hop lingers and lingers.
I wanted to refrain from any term that sounds like skunky but I can't. Will store the rest if the 12 pack and one day this may come in handy but not in the foreseeable future I hope.

02-07-2012 22:40:08 | More by FriarPrickly
Amalak

1.68/5  rDev -23.6%

I had several of these, 12 oz. bottles, at a lame party, which was only offering this. Totally got a headache about an hour after I started drinking.
A- Very light yellowish color. Decent head and some lacing.
S- Slight sour scent.
T- It's really like a slightly flavored water. That's not to be, "Oh, it's a crappy light beer and I hate light beer" or anything. It's just like a skunked version of water.

07-20-2009 20:44:29 | More by Amalak
Big_Dave

08-06-2014 20:23:06 | More by Big_Dave
Gusler

Arizona

2.25/5  rDev +2.3%

As a rule, I would not touch a beer labeled “Light”, but “Beck’s” makes some drinkable beers. On the pour a light clear gold, the head a bright white, the lace decent. Nose is malt, a tad sweet, clean and crisp. Front is malt, the top thin, the finish is dry, highly acidic, lightly hopped, and as I expected, something that does not appeal to me, not that it is bad, just not my style of beer, but would appeal to the occasional beer or light beer drinker.

01-04-2003 11:09:45 | More by Gusler
Beck's Light from Brauerei Beck & Co.