Beck's Oktoberfest - Brauerei Beck & Co.

Beck's OktoberfestBeck's Oktoberfest

Brauerei Beck & Co. visit their website

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beck's Oktoberfest Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

Freebie from the neighbor. Gave me the usual drunken chat about how Becks is the greatest thing ever because it is " German " despite the fact it is brewed in the U.S. Becks has never impressed me. Usually a typical green bottled skunkfest. This bottle is a bit darker so we'll see how things go.

Look - Pours a moderately clear amber with a finger of soapy, slightly off white head. Bubbles pop all throughout the film. Carbonation looks to be moderate in nature and move slowly to the top of the glass. Lacing is spotty though present.

Smell - As expected it is dominated by that oh so familiar German breadynesa with a caramel background to keep thing balanced. Skunk is there in small amounts but nowhere near enough to offend the nostrils.

Taste - Skunk starts off the profile and fades to the back of the throat. Bread levels become apparent in lightly baked varieties and the caramel malt bill is true to its promise in moderation. Bit of grape juice finishes things out.

Feel - Body is moderate in thickness and moderate in carbonation levels. Swallows easy. Skunk sits for a moment.

Overall - Not too bad. Pretty true to the German versions and the skunk was toned down more than I expected. Rather short review, But there wasn't a whole lot to figure out with this one. I'm not hear to cry and bitch about how it's made in the U.S., I'm here to rate and review it for how I feel about the beer.

3.17/5  rDev -6.8%

Clear burnt orange, darker than your typical Märzen, I'd say. Fine, medium-retention off-white head. Bread and caramel aromas. All of that to the taste, but a distinct nuttiness to it. A bit boozy or estery in the back. Hoppiness is about even throughout, maybe a tad stronger in the finish due to no balance from other flavors. Medium-bodied, crisp, with fine, fizzy carbonation.

3.14/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

Every fall I buy every Oktoberfest I can find - love them! So I compare this to all Oktoberfests. Smells great, feels great, but tastes like Beck's regular (that I don't like) inbetween Beck's Dark (like) with with some caramel and cinnamon. Not bad but not good.

3.03/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pours a copper copper color with a small 1 inch head that leaves no lacing down a goblet glass.

Smell is almost non existent. I maybe get a faint smell of malts and corn.

The taste really helps this beer with a sweet malty taste then a little bit of skunky taste that is pleasant in beer. I get a small amount of hop bitterness near the end of the taste.

Mouthfeel is medium to light with good carbonation.

Overall, an average beer. I will not seek this out in the future but I dont feel it was a waste of money.

3.73/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bought a single bottle from AJ's Beer Warehouse on 10/23/14. Poured into a dimpled mug at fridge temp.

Look: medium orange amber with a 1 finger Manila head. No lacing.

Smell: mild caramel sweetness. Hard to detect any Hops.

Taste: restrained Noble Hoppiness asserts itself despite the lack of aroma. The sweet Vienna malt offers a caramel kiss. Burnt toast at the end.

Feel: Seltzer like.

overall: drinkable but minor flaws prevent me from recommending this beer.

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

My neighbor, out my back door, will often put out the odd single, which is why that is always where I check first upon entering his place of business. This was one such beer, but due to inattention, I dropped it and while it did not break, it damaged the crown cap to the point of seepage. Time to drink!

From the bottle: “Beck’s Quality [:] Brewed Under the German Purity Law of 1516”.

Since it was already jounced and agitated, I simply Pop!ped the cap and began a gentle pour. This still resulted in a pseudo-cascade and two fingers of fizzy, rocky, tawny head with moderate retention. It all speaks to the idea that once the cap had been compromised, I needed to drink it. Color was Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-plus quality clarity, enabling me to see that I may be going back to work soon. Nose had an earthy, Noble hops smell overlaying a moderate caramel malt sweetness. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste struck an interesting balance between hoppy and malty, especially in this style. It began with an earthy Noble hoppiness, but followed it up with an equally earthy biscuit/bready maltiness. This was probably the most balanced Oktoberfest/Marzen that I can remember. Finish was semi-dry, more hoppy than malty, although not by much. What a lucky find! I could drink much more of this one, and especially if they CANned it.

3.6/5  rDev +5.9%

Caramel sweet upfront with spicy hop halfway through followed up with more tea-like sweetness. As the beer warms, I pick up more toasted malt and grains. Light bodied and smooth drinking.

3.35/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a crystal clear copper in color with moderate to heavy amounts of active visible carbonation that rises quickly from the bottom of the glass and some amber highlights. The beer has a two finger tall foamy tan head that slowly reduces to a medium to large sized thick cap in the center of the glass surrounded by a medium thick layer covering the remainder of the surface of the beer and a thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate to significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate aromas of toasted malts with a light aroma of caramel sweetness. Also there are some light aromas of grassy + herbal hops.

T: Upfront there is a light to moderate flavor of toasted malts with a light amount of caramel sweetness. That is followed by light flavors of grassy + herbal hops which imparts a very light amount of bitterness which does not linger for long.

M: On the lighter side of medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly thin/watery.

O: Surprise, surprise...this beer does not have the aroma or flavor of skunk which is surprising considering I grabbed it as a single in a grocery store with bright fluorescent lights and it comes in a green bottle. Better than I was expecting, since I was expecting the skunkiness to be present but still not an amazing representation of the style. Easy to drink.

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

Sampled earlier this evening on 9/13/14 and had this once a few years back. Used to be made in Germany but now made by Budweiser in St. Louis, Missouri. 12 ounce bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a vintage 'Beck's vintage handled glass stein.

Pours a medium / darker amber in color with a thin off-white head. Really no lacing to mention. The aroma is of just some malts, nothing special really. The taste is about the same with some bread (yeast) in the mix as well. A bit 'watery' though. Lighter bodied with medium carbonation as would be excepted from a 'Bud" product. Overall, it was OK.

3.37/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: The beer is crystal clear coppery amber in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high off white head that died down, leaving a thin layer of bubbles on the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light aromas of skunk are present in the nose along some notes of malts.
T: The taste follows the smell, except that skunk is a little more subdued as there are light notes of biscuit and toasted malts. Faint amounts of bitterness are also perceptible.
M: It feels light-to medium-bodied and a little watery on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is easy to drink, but the skunk aromas and flavors might be a causality of the green bottle this came in.

Drinkable? Sure.

Flavorful? Not much.

Looks nice in the glass though.

Found this one a little boring in taste, a tad watery and a metallic taste which was a tad off putting.

3.1/5  rDev -8.8%

I picked up a bottle of Beck's Oktoberfest last week for $1.59 at The lager Mill. Well since I've already had my first Oktoberfest of the year I thought I would go full bore and try some more Marzens that I've never had before, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a green 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, it's pretty typical looking for Becks, but it does have a little bit of a fall theme to it, but I don't think it's too eye catching. It poured a nice fairly clear amber color that took on more of a darker amber color when held to the light with just about three fingers worth of fluffy and creamy light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty and patchy lacing behind. This was nice and true to style looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart a grainy, slightly stale, lightly toasted malt, and light caramel like aromas with a light skunky aroma showing up in the background. Up next comes a earthy hop aroma and light soapy aroma which could also be from the hops. This beer had decent aroma, but I wasn't a fan of the light skunky and stale malt like aromas.

T- The taste seems to be a little similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the malts still being the first to show up, but this time they only impart a light sweet malt, light stale malt, grainy and light toasted malt flavors with some caramel flavors seeming to stick out the most and the skunky aspect shows up a little in the background. Up next comes an apple cider like flavor that goes right into a light amount of earthy hops. On the finish there's no bitterness with just a little more sweetness taking it's a place and it had a grainy, sweet malt, light stale malt and caramel like aftertaste. This was decent tasting beer, it was fairly true to style, but I could have gone without the skunky, stale malt and apple cider like aspects.

M- Smooth, a little clean, crisp, on the slightly thicker side of being light bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. This beer had a good mouthfeel, it seemed to work well with it and I found it to be true to style.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and I thought this was a average at best example of a Oktoberfest, it was going in the right direction, but when it came to the taste and aroma there were a few off aspects that held this beer back from being on par with the style. This beer had ok drinkability, it was smooth, a little clean, crisp, not filling at all, but the taste didn't the best job at holding my attention and I think one is enough for me, any more than that and I know I would start to get bored with it and the off aspects would start to wear on me. What I liked the most about this beer was the mouthfeel and appearance, there were both nice and they seemed to be the aspects that were the truest to style. What I liked the least about this beer were the off flavors and aromas, this beer would be much better if it didn't have those stale grain, skunky and apple cider like aspects to it. I wouldn't buy this beer again, I'm glad I gave it a chance, but it's pretty easy to find a much better traditional example of the style and I can't say I would recommend, but it might be wroth a try if your already a Becks Fan. All in all I wasn't impressed with this beer, I could only looks past some many off aspects till it started to wear on me and I realized that I'm just not into this beer. I've only had the regular becks and I liked it just about as much as I liked this beer so I can say how it ranks for this brewery, but it's for sure not one of the better Marzens I've had. I appreciate the effort, but this one could use a little cleaning up, better luck next time guys.

3.4/5  rDev 0%

Pours a fiery copper orange with pristine clarity and a fat head of tan creamy foam that falls well and leaves a ring and spots of sticky lace. Nose is light but malty. Dry white bread crust and a bit of sweet caramel underneath. A faint breath of hop herbal o9n the nose. Taste is lighter than normal. Thinnish body that has all the requisite flavors. It’s malty, dry, crisp and has a the lightly toasty white crust of bread. The caramel is particularly soft and smooth and runs through this drink lovely. The hops impart a slight taste of herbal and a touch of bitterness to the finish. On the first sip there was a faint metallic but it fell back after my palate was indoctrinated. Finishes with an almost citric bit of juiciness before it goes back to dry bread.

Middle of the road but tasty refreshing and very easy to drink.

2.6/5  rDev -23.5%

12 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present, just some meaningless code on the back label. A new oktoberfest style beer to me from Beck's. "Brewed under the German purity law of 1516." Uh huh.

Poured into an Oktoberfest nonic glass.

A - Pours a dark coppery sienna orange colored body with two fingers of quickly fading tan foam for a head. No real lacing to speak of. It doesn't look entirely bad, considering what it is. 3

S - The aroma is neutral, and fairly non-existent. Perhaps a touch of grainy, toast, and brown bread. Inoffensive, but nothing else really escapes the glass. 2

T - Taste follows the aroma - fairly neutral and bland. A touch of sweetened grains / malts, toasted brown bread, and a very light herbal presence. Inoffensive and drinkable, but there are no real flavors to ponder here. The toasty grains do make it more interesting than the regular cheap adjunct-ridden Beck's, but the papery cardboard flavor is still buried in there. 2.5

M - The feel is crisp, clean, and smooth. Light-bodied, and easy drinking. I would say it is refreshing, but it's not a beer I would want much of. Adequately carbonated. 3

Overall, it is what I expected it to be, a cheap bastardization of the style from a big macro lager brewer, but interesting enough to the point where you can have a few without cringing. A passable fall oktoberfest style beer, but not recommended for those of us who enjoy more depth to our beers.

Beck's Oktoberfest -----3/5.

3.32/5  rDev -2.4%

This is a fairly mild malty October beer. I'm not a big fan of the style and this one is a bit more carbonated than I like.

It is amber in color, with a mild smell and average mouthfeel. It was a perfectly fine happy hour beer for this time of year, but I would be hard pressed to buy it by the case. Or six.

Updated 11/25/13: Tried it again. Definite caramel notes. More balanced than I remembered, though hops are very mild. Upgraded rating slightly

3.49/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Single bottle pick up and poured into a pint glass. 10/27

Pours copper colored amber. Fluffy white foam leaves a modest layer and some lacing. Malty pilsy nose. Like someone upped the malt ante in a Beck's pilsener. But does work. Somewhat sweet, clean flavor. Just a hint of a bite and then a fast finish. Not bad, certainly sessionable.

2.53/5  rDev -25.6%

12oz bottle poured into a perfect pint.

A - Fizzy vanilla colored head falls to a cap. Perfect clarity to the deep copper beer. Little if no lacing.

S - Lightly toasted malt character. Mild grassy hops with a tinge of sweetness. Hinting at green bottle issues.

T - Starts a little acidic, hard water, or twangy hop bitterness. Very little toasty malt depth, straw or corn-like, no sweetness. Little hop flavor, still grassy here as well. The flavor as a whole passes quickly and abruptly. Very little aftertaste.

M - Light to medium-light body, light to medium-light carbonation, never sweet but with some drying effect in the finish.

O - Disappointed in this but not really shocked. This beer seems to be the product of trying to avoid offending any light beer drinker, withholding any attempt of grazing the light end of the style.

Judgement: Pass

3.56/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Beck’s Oktoberfest has a very thick, frothy, cream-colored head, a clear, somewhat bubbly, copper appearance, and thick lacing left behind. The aroma is of sweet, medium-roasted barley malt, brown bread crust, and a slight molasses. Taste is of the same, with a bit of sourness and noticeable, yet mellow, hop bitterness at the end of the sip and in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Beck’s Oktoberfest finishes semi-dry, refreshing, easy going, and highly drinkable. Overall, this beer is excellent and interesting.

3.65/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

On draught into plastic cup at local Oktoberfest

Dark brown in color with an off white two finger fast reducing head, moderate carbonation.

Mouthfeel: thicker

Smells: warm muffins, bread, and crackers

Taste: bread, toast, and spicy hops

Overall, this is a good beer. But, it is not the best from Braurei Beck!

3.68/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Twelve packs of this brew were on sale at my local grocery store. This was my first time trying Beck's contribution to the Oktoberfest seasonals so I was skeptical but it turned out to be a good deal.

The beer pours to a dark amber... almost brown. It is a translucent mahogany when held up to light.

The aroma is nutty with subtle hints of caramel and citrus.

The first sip is tangy and bitter. It is lighter than other Marzens but it still contains a pleasant amount of flavor. This is fairly toasty with a semi-sweet malty finish.

I was surprised with how much I enjoyed this beer. I know many view Beck's as a mediocre brand, mainly because of their very mediocre Pilsener, but their Oktoberfest competes with many other upper tier Marzens.

Bottom Line: Worth checking this beer out.

3.54/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Frst, let's dispense with htis issue: Beck's is brewed in Bremen, which is in Northern Germany and many miles from Bavaria. That said, Beck's brews a decent version of this style. This has a translucent copper body and emits roasted apple on the nose.

The palate detects a mild hit of caramel and fig, while the mouthfeel tends toward a mild driness. Little hops, no afterness and very low carbonation makes this - much like all Octoberfets - a relaible session. Makes sense as people don't drink this beer to get mindlessly drunk. (This, they save that for dopplebock season.)

3.7/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This beer is a clear copper color with a smallish but consistent wisp of head on top that manages pretty good spotting.
The aroma offers both caramel malts and a distinct note of Noble hops, grassy, earthy, floral and lightly spicy. It's a bit tame but otherwise surprising.
The floral spiciness comes into the flavor up front, with caramel for balance but a touch of breads and some citrus, too. It goes a little grainy for the enitre session, but it's not over top of the other elements of this beer and it doesn't come on too strong.
It feels good, a nice mix of crisp and smooth in a medium body with just a touch of dryness.

3.27/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours a copper color with a one finger rather fizzy white head. The head has a decent level of retention, fading to leave a bit of foamy lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma is rather light overall. While light, there are aromas of caramel and a bit of roasted malt. Along with these smells are some notes of apple and some spice.

Taste – The taste begins with a roasted and bready taste. The flavors are on the lighter side overall. From the start there is a little bit of caramel and lighter fruits as well (apple and pear). The sweetness grows more toward the middle only to weaken as the flavor advances to the end. Along with the loss of a bit of the sweet, some moderate spice flavors of nutmeg and clove as well as a bit of an herbal flavor comes to the tongue, leaving an overall drier, roasted malt, and lightly spiced flavor on the tongue.

Mouthfeel –The body of the beer is on the average to slightly thinner side with a carbonation level that is on the average side. A little more thickness in body may have been slightly better for the roasted malt flavors of the brew, but overall it was a rather drinkable feel and quite decent for the style.

Overall – A decent Oktoberfest, but overall a little subdued in flavor. An easy drinking autumn style brew that may be nice when tailgating or just socializing outdoors with friends.

3.16/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass

Appearance: Red Copper with extremely little lacing and minimal foam

Smell: Subtle without notable aromas

Taste: Goes in full without bitterness but no remarkable aftertaste. I have no idea if I just sipped a cheap domestic or a seasonal import.

Mouthfeel: Full and lingering. A slight pull on the cheeks.

Overall: I have had this in many consecutive years and feel that I give it an unearned esteem because it hales from Germany. As I reviewed this, I am disappointed in this year's model (2013). I remember previous releases as being a "Go To" for the Oktoberfest season and this one leaves me lacking. Will I try it again next year ? Yes. Will there be unopened bottles a month from now ? Probably not. But I feel this is overall an inferior offering...at least for this year.

3.8/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours and looks like the average Oktobefest. Dark, thick, with a medium head.

It's taste is again, typical for an Oktoberfest, but fresher, I guess I'd say. Doesn't have the hoppiness of many Oktoberfest's, which is unique. Kind of hard to describe it, and just absolutely loves my pallet. Often times when I drank large amounts of a Marzen or Oktoberfest I feel full and slow. Not the case here. And it's not due to a lack of taste or quality, just not quite as heavy.

Only drawback is it can be a bit on the sweet side.

Beck's Oktoberfest from Brauerei Beck & Co.