Beck's Oktoberfest - Brauerei Beck & Co.

Beck's OktoberfestBeck's Oktoberfest

Brauerei Beck & Co. visit their website
Germany

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beck's Oktoberfest Alström Bros

BigRedDog, Sep 12, 2014
4.3/5  rDev +26.5%

ChrisGuck, Sep 11, 2014

KevChiTown, Sep 10, 2014

zestar, Sep 09, 2014

BeerForMuscle, Sep 09, 2014
3.38/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: The beer is crystal clear coppery amber in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high off white head that died down, leaving a thin layer of bubbles on the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light aromas of skunk are present in the nose along some notes of malts.
T: The taste follows the smell, except that skunk is a little more subdued as there are light notes of biscuit and toasted malts. Faint amounts of bitterness are also perceptible.
M: It feels light-to medium-bodied and a little watery on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is easy to drink, but the skunk aromas and flavors might be a causality of the green bottle this came in.

metter98, Sep 06, 2014

probert, Sep 06, 2014

Drinkable? Sure.

Flavorful? Not much.

Looks nice in the glass though.

Found this one a little boring in taste, a tad watery and a metallic taste which was a tad off putting.

bubseymour, Sep 05, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +39.7%

Norica, Aug 31, 2014
3.92/5  rDev +15.3%

FlynnD, Aug 30, 2014

ronbo5421, Aug 29, 2014

BeerShman, Aug 29, 2014
3.1/5  rDev -8.8%

I picked up a bottle of Beck's Oktoberfest last week for $1.59 at The lager Mill. Well since I've already had my first Oktoberfest of the year I thought I would go full bore and try some more Marzens that I've never had before, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a green 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, it's pretty typical looking for Becks, but it does have a little bit of a fall theme to it, but I don't think it's too eye catching. It poured a nice fairly clear amber color that took on more of a darker amber color when held to the light with just about three fingers worth of fluffy and creamy light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty and patchy lacing behind. This was nice and true to style looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart a grainy, slightly stale, lightly toasted malt, and light caramel like aromas with a light skunky aroma showing up in the background. Up next comes a earthy hop aroma and light soapy aroma which could also be from the hops. This beer had decent aroma, but I wasn't a fan of the light skunky and stale malt like aromas.

T- The taste seems to be a little similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the malts still being the first to show up, but this time they only impart a light sweet malt, light stale malt, grainy and light toasted malt flavors with some caramel flavors seeming to stick out the most and the skunky aspect shows up a little in the background. Up next comes an apple cider like flavor that goes right into a light amount of earthy hops. On the finish there's no bitterness with just a little more sweetness taking it's a place and it had a grainy, sweet malt, light stale malt and caramel like aftertaste. This was decent tasting beer, it was fairly true to style, but I could have gone without the skunky, stale malt and apple cider like aspects.

M- Smooth, a little clean, crisp, on the slightly thicker side of being light bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. This beer had a good mouthfeel, it seemed to work well with it and I found it to be true to style.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and I thought this was a average at best example of a Oktoberfest, it was going in the right direction, but when it came to the taste and aroma there were a few off aspects that held this beer back from being on par with the style. This beer had ok drinkability, it was smooth, a little clean, crisp, not filling at all, but the taste didn't the best job at holding my attention and I think one is enough for me, any more than that and I know I would start to get bored with it and the off aspects would start to wear on me. What I liked the most about this beer was the mouthfeel and appearance, there were both nice and they seemed to be the aspects that were the truest to style. What I liked the least about this beer were the off flavors and aromas, this beer would be much better if it didn't have those stale grain, skunky and apple cider like aspects to it. I wouldn't buy this beer again, I'm glad I gave it a chance, but it's pretty easy to find a much better traditional example of the style and I can't say I would recommend, but it might be wroth a try if your already a Becks Fan. All in all I wasn't impressed with this beer, I could only looks past some many off aspects till it started to wear on me and I realized that I'm just not into this beer. I've only had the regular becks and I liked it just about as much as I liked this beer so I can say how it ranks for this brewery, but it's for sure not one of the better Marzens I've had. I appreciate the effort, but this one could use a little cleaning up, better luck next time guys.

StoutHunter, Aug 28, 2014
3.85/5  rDev +13.2%

Duff27, Aug 26, 2014

MrTh4159, Aug 26, 2014
3.4/5  rDev 0%

Pours a fiery copper orange with pristine clarity and a fat head of tan creamy foam that falls well and leaves a ring and spots of sticky lace. Nose is light but malty. Dry white bread crust and a bit of sweet caramel underneath. A faint breath of hop herbal o9n the nose. Taste is lighter than normal. Thinnish body that has all the requisite flavors. It’s malty, dry, crisp and has a the lightly toasty white crust of bread. The caramel is particularly soft and smooth and runs through this drink lovely. The hops impart a slight taste of herbal and a touch of bitterness to the finish. On the first sip there was a faint metallic but it fell back after my palate was indoctrinated. Finishes with an almost citric bit of juiciness before it goes back to dry bread.

Middle of the road but tasty refreshing and very easy to drink.

utopiajane, Aug 22, 2014
2.6/5  rDev -23.5%

12 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present, just some meaningless code on the back label. A new oktoberfest style beer to me from Beck's. "Brewed under the German purity law of 1516." Uh huh.

Poured into an Oktoberfest nonic glass.

A - Pours a dark coppery sienna orange colored body with two fingers of quickly fading tan foam for a head. No real lacing to speak of. It doesn't look entirely bad, considering what it is. 3

S - The aroma is neutral, and fairly non-existent. Perhaps a touch of grainy, toast, and brown bread. Inoffensive, but nothing else really escapes the glass. 2

T - Taste follows the aroma - fairly neutral and bland. A touch of sweetened grains / malts, toasted brown bread, and a very light herbal presence. Inoffensive and drinkable, but there are no real flavors to ponder here. The toasty grains do make it more interesting than the regular cheap adjunct-ridden Beck's, but the papery cardboard flavor is still buried in there. 2.5

M - The feel is crisp, clean, and smooth. Light-bodied, and easy drinking. I would say it is refreshing, but it's not a beer I would want much of. Adequately carbonated. 3

Overall, it is what I expected it to be, a cheap bastardization of the style from a big macro lager brewer, but interesting enough to the point where you can have a few without cringing. A passable fall oktoberfest style beer, but not recommended for those of us who enjoy more depth to our beers.

Beck's Oktoberfest -----3/5.

decaff, Aug 17, 2014

split_element, Aug 15, 2014

JG-90, Aug 13, 2014

cardinals22, Aug 11, 2014
Beck's Oktoberfest from Brauerei Beck & Co.