2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Beck's Oktoberfest - Brauerei Beck & Co.

Beck's OktoberfestBeck's Oktoberfest

Brauerei Beck & Co. visit their website
Germany

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2000)
View: Beers (14) |  Events
Ratings: 621 | Reviews: 394 | Show All Ratings:
Brenden

3.71/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This beer is a clear copper color with a smallish but consistent wisp of head on top that manages pretty good spotting.
The aroma offers both caramel malts and a distinct note of Noble hops, grassy, earthy, floral and lightly spicy. It's a bit tame but otherwise surprising.
The floral spiciness comes into the flavor up front, with caramel for balance but a touch of breads and some citrus, too. It goes a little grainy for the enitre session, but it's not over top of the other elements of this beer and it doesn't come on too strong.
It feels good, a nice mix of crisp and smooth in a medium body with just a touch of dryness.

09-18-2013 20:06:21 | More by Brenden
Darkmagus82

3.3/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours a copper color with a one finger rather fizzy white head. The head has a decent level of retention, fading to leave a bit of foamy lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma is rather light overall. While light, there are aromas of caramel and a bit of roasted malt. Along with these smells are some notes of apple and some spice.

Taste – The taste begins with a roasted and bready taste. The flavors are on the lighter side overall. From the start there is a little bit of caramel and lighter fruits as well (apple and pear). The sweetness grows more toward the middle only to weaken as the flavor advances to the end. Along with the loss of a bit of the sweet, some moderate spice flavors of nutmeg and clove as well as a bit of an herbal flavor comes to the tongue, leaving an overall drier, roasted malt, and lightly spiced flavor on the tongue.

Mouthfeel –The body of the beer is on the average to slightly thinner side with a carbonation level that is on the average side. A little more thickness in body may have been slightly better for the roasted malt flavors of the brew, but overall it was a rather drinkable feel and quite decent for the style.

Overall – A decent Oktoberfest, but overall a little subdued in flavor. An easy drinking autumn style brew that may be nice when tailgating or just socializing outdoors with friends.

09-07-2013 00:41:50 | More by Darkmagus82
The-Sud-Truth

3.15/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass

Appearance: Red Copper with extremely little lacing and minimal foam

Smell: Subtle without notable aromas

Taste: Goes in full without bitterness but no remarkable aftertaste. I have no idea if I just sipped a cheap domestic or a seasonal import.

Mouthfeel: Full and lingering. A slight pull on the cheeks.

Overall: I have had this in many consecutive years and feel that I give it an unearned esteem because it hales from Germany. As I reviewed this, I am disappointed in this year's model (2013). I remember previous releases as being a "Go To" for the Oktoberfest season and this one leaves me lacking. Will I try it again next year ? Yes. Will there be unopened bottles a month from now ? Probably not. But I feel this is overall an inferior offering...at least for this year.

09-04-2013 23:15:37 | More by The-Sud-Truth
stella77artois

4.14/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

One of my favorite brews. A shame it's not more popular.

Pours and looks like the average Oktobefest. Dark, thick, with a medium head.

It's taste is again, typical for an Oktoberfest, but fresher, I guess I'd say. Doesn't have the hoppiness of many Oktoberfest's, which is unique. Kind of hard to describe it, and just absolutely loves my pallet. Often times when I drank large amounts of a Marzen or Oktoberfest I feel full and slow. Not the case here. And it's not due to a lack of taste or quality, just not quite as heavy.

Only drawback is it can be a bit on the sweet side.

05-22-2013 15:53:40 | More by stella77artois
beergoot

Colorado

3.28/5  rDev -3.5%

Good, clear copper body with a nice, lasting white head. Very little aroma; what's there is malt-like. Slightly above-average taste, but barely; faint, rich malt with a hint of caramel; no real bitterness detected. Soft and fizzy body; wants to be medium bodied but quickly dissolves to an almost watery, light body consistency.

A pretty diluted Oktoberfest brew. Lacks any robust malt aroma, taste, or feel for the style. Sure, there are hints of these good things, but they get washed out with the overall mediocrity of this brew.

11-07-2012 00:38:16 | More by beergoot
TwelveOunces

3.78/5  rDev +11.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A- Clear orange with a one finger off white head.

S- Grain, lager yeast, dark fruit, lemon grass, smells like a typical Oktoberfest.

T- Grainy at first. Sweeps over with a thick and heavy caramel malt, a bit of toffee and a syrupy sugaryness. A surprising dark fruit presence reminds me of a doppelbock. A clean tasting Oktoberfest.

M- Mouthfeel is pretty chewy for the ABV and drinks fairly easy. Aftertaste is somewhat dry but rather clean.

O- An average Oktoberfest but I think it should be slightly higher rated then what it is.

10-22-2012 23:58:38 | More by TwelveOunces
Onenote81

3.05/5  rDev -10.3%

12oz bottle poured into a mug. Pours a dark amber, transparent, with a small beige head that fleets away quickly. This beer smells sweet with caramel notes, toffee, wheat bread. I don't really care for the feel on this one. There is a great amount of bubbles rising through this one, that really gives this a spritzy feel. I think this detracts from enjoying the flavors quite a bit. The flavor profile is pretty average to the style: sweet caramel, mild bitterness, metallic ting on the back end. This beer had some some things I liked about it, but overall nothing really worked together. With so many better options available to me at this time of year, I don't see myself reaching for this one again.

10-15-2012 14:29:18 | More by Onenote81
barczar

3.38/5  rDev -0.6%

Pours a brilliantly clear amber color with a solid half inch cream head that dissipates slowly, leaving spotty lacing.

Nutty, caramel malt, and a bit of metallic notes form the aroma. There's a bit of floral hop at the finish.

The flavor reveals more toasted malt character, slightly fruity, with underlying caramel and nutty tones, finishing a touch bitter, with floral hops rounding out the profile.

Body is moderate, with somewhat low carbonation. There's a touch of astringency.

Overall, a very drinkable beer. Malt complexity is overshadowed by the metallic/sour character, but it's not enough to ruin the experience completely.

10-15-2012 04:09:41 | More by barczar
mjurney

3.95/5  rDev +16.2%

Look:
Amber color, clear. Fairly good amount of carbonation rising up. Thick frothy head, leaves a lacing behind.

Smell:
Mostly sweet toasted malts. Some herbal hops.

Taste:
Malty up front. Rich, toasted malts, caramel, a little coffee bitterness towards the finish. Medium bodied, crisp, well carbonated.

10-07-2012 22:40:13 | More by mjurney
thegodfather2701

4.03/5  rDev +18.5%

A-Pours a beautiful amber with a thick off-white head that slowly dissipates and leaves some lacing.

S-Malty and spicy, I swear at first I thought it smelled a little like pumpkin pie.

T-Rich and malty with a hint of spice. It has enough hops to balance it out. It was fuller in flavor and body than I expected.

M-Just about right as it wasn't took thick or too thin and definitely was not over carbonated which allowed it to feel pretty full bodied.

D-Very drinkable, you could definitely drink a few of these in a sitting.

Overall, the only bad thing I can say about this beer is that its brewed in St. Louis and not Germany so its not really an import. That being said it is still a solid choice for Fall consumption.

10-06-2012 13:38:38 | More by thegodfather2701
tobelerone

Connecticut

3.1/5  rDev -8.8%

A drinkable but unexceptional seasonal offering from Becks. At least it’s in a brown bottle. The appearance is likely the beer’s best aspect; pouring dark orange with good clarity, a two finger head of strong retention, and lacing that sticks well to the glass.

Mild toasty aroma, some biscuits and bread malt character, faint floral hoppiness; a more prominent honey and caramel note than expected. This is confirmed in the taste; the beer is on style for the most part, but has a somewhat overly assertive sweetness that seems out of place. Otherwise it’s fairly close to style, with muted noble hops underneath a toasted malt body. Not dry enough for my liking.

Medium to slightly light bodied, crisply carbonated. You could do worse in an octoberfest but in the end my impression of this beer was one that was both a little bland and a little too sweet.

10-03-2012 11:59:53 | More by tobelerone
WastingFreetime

Wisconsin

2.8/5  rDev -17.6%

Reviewed from tasting notes.

Pours out a translucent light amber color with two fingers of white soapy foam that falls apart in about a minute, leaving behind fairly decent loops of lacing on the glass. Light watery body and lighter carbonation, it feels too thin in the mouth for a marzen.

Light aroma of faint caramel and herbal tea / earthy hopping.
The flavor, however, really suffers from a diluted and weak malt presence that doesn't provide enough toasted or bready structure for the hopping (which is actually surprisingly well-done BTW) to build upon. Adjust the grain bill to match the care and attention put into the hopping, and this one could be something special.

10-03-2012 00:02:08 | More by WastingFreetime
jak3676

4.15/5  rDev +22.1%

Beck's - Oktoberfest

Now Bottled in St. Louis, MO. I bring you "Beckswiser" as my Fath-in-law likes to call it. I'm sure you can still get the authentic German stuff in Germany, but I guess it was inevitable that Becks would start getting made and bottled is the US after InBev bought Anheisher Busch. But that may not be a bad thing - I don't think it was possible for Becks to some how scew up AB worse that it was.

But as for their now US-made Oktoberfest, I like it. I like it a lot actually, and I'm not normally a fan of Beck's beer. But I think they got the color just right with a perfectly clear amber/copper/reddish-orange thing going on. I don't see the 5.0% ABV anywhere on the bottle or their website, so I'm going off beeradvocate's advice there. That's the weakest märzen I've had yet, maybe they watered it down some more for US tastes?

Flavor wise they seem to have hit the spot - somewhat hoppy and malty. I feel the need to subtract 1/2 a points for printing "pry off" on the bottle cap - I'm pretty sure I've never had another beer have to print that out for me, yet somehow I've always managed to figure it out. Stamp on the back says 12206, which seems like it's missing a digit? Oh well, I like it all anyway - a good flavor can overcome everything else I guess.

09-20-2012 20:15:35 | More by jak3676
KYGunner

Kentucky

I often look forward to October for the obligatory Oktoberfest beers. So when I saw an Oktoberfest by Becks, who happens to brew a personal favorite the Dark, I was excited. That excitement fell to malaise as I experienced one of the more bland and average beer tastes of the season. I wanted to like it but bland is all I can muster, sorry.

09-16-2012 02:15:50 | More by KYGunner
VncentLIFE

2.93/5  rDev -13.8%

I hate that the label says, "Brewed in St. Louis, MO." Fail, ABInBev, Fail.

It looks right (nice amber color with good but low carb), but the white head just doesnt exist as much as I want.

The smell is just light, I want more sweetness. Earthy skunk from the green bottle pervades. Smells oddly soapy and slick as well. hm. not overly impressed, kind of turned off.

Oh ABInBev, you ruined an almost ruinable style. my god. Theres too much grain, and nothing to balance it out. I want more sweetness, but theres an astringent bite that just doesnt work. But that was at first. I get what its about now. The skunk has faded enough to let the light watery caramel shine. Still average, but better than bad. Its Breaking Bad. (Sorry I had to).

09-10-2012 23:11:47 | More by VncentLIFE
JuicesFlowing

Kansas

2.78/5  rDev -18.2%

Poured into a standard pint glass. The beer is a pretty dark copper color with a cream colored head. The head recedes to a film eventually with light lacing on the glass.

Smells: Caramel malts, slight sweetness, and sour skunk smell from the green bottle.

The taste is masked by the green-bottle-skunk. That's unfortunate, because I want to find the sweet, warm caramel malts in here. A bit of a tart bite in the finish.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied.

Overall, I'm never buying this again. In fact, I'm never drinking a beer that is in a green bottle again.

09-03-2012 19:58:05 | More by JuicesFlowing
jimmah120

3.3/5  rDev -2.9%

Look is a magnificent orange-red. Smell is roasted malts, dry leaves. The taste is more dry leaves, slight caramel, burned toast, but the dry leaves overwhelms, though not in a bad way. Feel is light, crisply carbonated, and easily drinkable.

Surprisingly good, though with the multitude of Oktoberfest beers it's probably not one I'd buy again.

08-29-2012 02:37:01 | More by jimmah120
DavidEasterling

4.35/5  rDev +27.9%

Poured nice from a bottle into a cold
pint

Very nice head

Biscuity smell and taste. Giving this a high score
because the taste and feel were very refreshing.

Light feeling and easy drinkability compared with taste reminds me of the old "less filling, taste great" Miller Lite commercials
Except this actually tastes great.

Perfect for "more than one" kind of seasonal beer.

07-19-2012 04:15:52 | More by DavidEasterling
justinbednar

1.35/5  rDev -60.3%

Poured copper color with very little head. Smelled a bit stale (most likely was expired). Thin mouthfeel that coated the tongue with an unpleasant bitterness. It could have been more carbonated. Heavy maltiness with an offputing sour hop flavor. Tasted far from balanced.

03-25-2012 00:55:05 | More by justinbednar
jsisko01

3.38/5  rDev -0.6%

Appearance - Pours a clear, brown caramel color with a small head and has nice lacing.

Smell - Right when I opened the bottle an aroma of skunk filled the room. Skunky, sweet, toasty, slight bit of caramel, and barley.

Taste - Quite different than other Oktoberfests I've tried, but I like it. Malty with caramel, has a toasty taste to it, somewhat nutty, a little sweet, and slightly bitter at the end.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with high carbonation.

Overall - Definitely not the average Oktoberfest.. it's different but not in a bad way. If you like amber or brown ales then you'd like this.

12-06-2011 06:29:33 | More by jsisko01
SkeeterHawk

3.55/5  rDev +4.4%

I normally don't pick up Becks products as I believe that they are "ordinary" at best. I saw this O-Fest sitting in Wal-Mart today. It is unusual for me to be in Wal-Mart, and let alone looking at the beer there, which normally sucks, but this time I saw Sierra Nevada Celebration there and this one caught my eye too. I have never tried the Becks Oktoberfest and thought that this may be one of their better offerings. After looking at the scores, this appears to be their best beer, so I am glad that I got it. Let's see what its like:

Appearance: Pours a clear amber color with a small 1/4" head of airy off white bubbles that was shortly maintained by numerous bubbles rising. The bubbles slowed down, so the head started to fall. There is already a little bit of lacing stuck to the glass just from swirling.

Aroma: The aroma is definitely Oktoberfest with sweet toasty Munich malt notes being the predominant aspect with no real hops to speak of except for a slight floral aspect that comes out early and gets mixed up with the malty sweetness. There is none of the metallic notes that I often notice with other Becks products, so overall this one is pretty pleasant so far.

Taste: The flavor doesn't have as much punch as the aroma did, but it is still good. The malt is still running the show as it should, especially in the beginning, but the ample carbonation and high attenuation dry this beer out in the flavor and finish quite a bit so much that it seems like the hops are making things bitter in the finish, but I believe that this is just an impression that I am getting from the dryness. The finish does show a little metallic note that is a bit like aluminum.

Opinion: This is a decent beer. I like the aroma and wish that it carried into the flavor completely. As it is, I won't have any problem drinking the six-pack of this beer, but I actually like the regular Oktoberfest offerings of Paulaner and Spaten better than this one. Oh well, I am glad that I tried it, as it truly is one of Beck's better offerings and undoubtedly one of the better beers that you will find at Wal-Mart.

11-28-2011 02:24:03 | More by SkeeterHawk
samie85

3.35/5  rDev -1.5%

A-Pours a ruddy copper color with two fingers of head.

S-Rich, malt with dark fruit and that traditional Oktoberfest spice character.

T-Bitter hop notes upfront with some light malt backing.

M-Light and pretty well carbonated with a prickly feel.

D-The aroma is dead on for what I like in an Oktoberfest, but I'd really like more malt to come through in the taste department.

11-18-2011 01:46:21 | More by samie85
PhageLab

3.4/5  rDev 0%

Poured into a standard pint glass.

A - Rising suds speed through this cherry reddish brown brew. Nice 3 finger head on top with good retention.

S - Rich malty aroma, sweet, with a touch of grassy hops. Smells very fresh.

T - Good malty body with a nice balance. There is a bit of a soapy quality which causes a hit here.

M - Light body, moderately carbonated, and clean on the finish.

D - Not bad. Picked up a twelve pack of these, and not one went to waste. Would definitely revisit.

11-11-2011 00:02:53 | More by PhageLab
ferrari29

3.53/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Beer poured from bottle into a Nonic-shaped pint glass

A - Beer pours with a dark copper colored hue; one finger white colored heard forms, hols alright; bubbly; not much lacing though; clear body and well-carbonated

S - Deep, deep malt smell; sweet caramel nose; hint of wheat; spice; fire-roasted bread

T - Heavy malt coated taste; roasted malt, and very nutty; this beer also carries a buttery flavor that carries over into a slightly bitter taste on the back-end; overall, the beer is mostly malt though, nothing much else; slight hint of spiced pumpkin; soft hop flavor

M - Not much body; slightly effervescent; smooth with a soft bitter finish

D - Not bad; pretty good for Beck's; I thought they did a good job of bringing up the malt flavor, which is usually lacking in these types of macro beers with some pumpkin-October spice; could have used more body

11-06-2011 02:47:43 | More by ferrari29
BeerDocT

Georgia

3.8/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured into a wide-mouthed glass.

-Appearance 4.0: Not much head and what little there was disappeared quickly. Beautiful, perfect amber color to this beer.

-Smell 3.5: Very pleasant, mouth-watering bouquet. Light caramel notes, but a lot of barley and slight hoppy smell.

-Taste 4.0: Interesting Maerzen taste. Hops up front, followed by a light, earthy barley taste. After the swallow, a very pleasant dryness appears that counters any sweetness one might have expected based on the smell. Aftertaste is also good and slightly hoppy.

-Mouthfeel 3.0: Nothing bad about the mouthfeel, but nothing outstanding. Average amount of carbonation.

-Overall 4.0: One of the best Maerzens. Beck's is different in that it is hoppy and has a dry aftertaste, which makes it really stand out. Definitely worth a try if you can find it.

$13.99 for a 12 pack in Atlanta, GA.

10-31-2011 03:59:23 | More by BeerDocT
Beck's Oktoberfest from Brauerei Beck & Co.