Beck's Sapphire - Brauerei Beck & Co.

Beck's SapphireBeck's Sapphire

poor

poor

Brauerei Beck & Co. visit their website
Germany

German Pilsener |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: peabody on 12-21-2012)
View: Beers (14) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beck's Sapphire Alström Bros
markallmon

Tennessee

02-25-2013 01:30:05 | More by markallmon
spazx

04-09-2014 01:05:25 | More by spazx
tyleeis

Wisconsin

4.9/5  rDev +78.8%

I'm very surprised by this!! I think it's more in the Euro Pale Lager catagory but their not a huge difference anyhow and I'm no expert. Very different yet cool black bottle, you can barely see through it. I'm short glasses so ill have to stick to that. Smell is pretty faint, average pilsner, nothing ou of the ordinary. The taste however really caught me off guard. It's very sweet upfront then buttery, slight breadlines, followed by more sweet. It's had a really nice creamy velvet mouthfeel I haven't experienced in a pilsner before, but I really like it, goes down real easy. I don't consider 6%abv high but it's more than average BMC's. Overall I can't wait to try this again and this is definetly something I'd keep in my fridge on a regular basis.

01-06-2013 23:30:17 | More by tyleeis

04-16-2013 23:09:21 | More by Impalafrank
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

4.18/5  rDev +52.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Beck's Sapphire (poured into a whiskey glass) has a thin, off-white head, a clear, somewhat bubbly, golden appearance, and minimal lacing left behind. The aroma is faint, but sweet barley malt is detected. The flavor is of sweet, brown bread, barley malt, and an unusual hop bitterness, which is difficult to describe. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Beck's Sapphire finishes dry, clean, crisp, and refreshing. Overall, this is another winner from InBev, and I think it is delicious.

RJT

01-16-2013 01:53:50 | More by RonaldTheriot
dcall384

Indiana

4.18/5  rDev +52.6%

Picked this up at a grocery store for a dollar a bottle. Poured into a pint glass and yielded about two fingers of white head. The color was very light and clear. Tasted like a very sweet lager with no aftertaste. I would drink this on a hot summer day after mowing the lawn. Overall, it was a nice light change from stouts and IPA's I usually drink.

01-18-2013 13:21:07 | More by dcall384

Kentucky

02-13-2013 03:01:16 | More by Dapperticus
NeroFiddled

3.91/5  rDev +42.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Beck's Sapphire
12 oz bottle, code dated "12348 SM76"
"Product of USA. ST. LOUIS, MO"
$30.99 per case of 24/12 @ Javie's Beverage, Philadelphia, PA

Apparently brewed by Anheuseur-Busch in the United States, Beck's Sapphire is a fairly basic beer. It doesn't have the bite or bitterness of Beck's (regular), but it does have a nice bit of floral hop flavor to it.

The Sapphire hops (actually Saphir) come through clearly, but keep in mind that they're really just a derivation of the standard "noble" Hallertauer Mittelfrue hops that are so common in European beers, as well as lagers across the globe.

In the end, it's kind of sweetish and there aren't really enough hops to balance it - both in bitterness and flavor. Interestingly, it's 6% ABV, which you would think would leave it a little bit more dry-ish, but it's not. Or was that just a marketing concept for the US?... add a little alcohol and the consumer will think they're actually getting something for their money?

Not really recommended.

MikeF625

02-07-2013 21:57:54 | More by MikeF625
HarlequinBuckeye

3.71/5  rDev +35.4%

I've never been a big Beck's fan, but this one sparked my curiosity. I picked up a sixer and gave it a go. But I have to admit, my expectations were low.

I poured it down the side of the side of a pilsner glass. It has a yellow-gold look. This beer has almost no head whatsoever, and how ever much it does have dissolves a few seconds after being poured.

The scent is pretty decent, with the German hops taking center stage, but a slight grapefruit tinge can be detected as well.

The taste is fairly hoppy at first, but a tad of sweetness hits the taste buds shortly after it goes down the hatch.

It is pretty smooth actually with an excellent feel. Very drinkable.

I wasn't expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised by what turned out to be a decent brew. I don't think that this beer will be a regular addition to my fridge but it may find it's way there occasionally.

01-22-2013 11:51:02 | More by HarlequinBuckeye
tugdriver7

Maryland

3.61/5  rDev +31.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not sure why we're still aggregating Beck's under the "Made In Germany" banner because I'm one of those who isn't really happy with the move to the USA; but I must admit I was intrigued by an attempt by A-B to provide a Beck's beverage that was a bit different--if not much different--than the green bottled pilsner. I liked the opaque black bottle (no green bottle skunk), though I was surprised at how light (roughly "gold") in color the beer was once it hit the glass. I got a decent head of white foam that dissipated quickly and left only a hint on top. I agree with many of the descriptions of the flavor here. Initial biscuity malt and a hint of citrus-like hops in the nose. The carbonation was surprisingly light and "spritzy" while the beer itself was light to moderate in density. This made for a strangely mixed yet somewhat refreshing mouthfeel. A tad sweet on the tongue with a mild malty flavor and a hint of that citrusy hops. Flavor profile is one-dimensional and mild. Little bitterness at the end and then nothing. And I mean that in a good way. No off flavors, no skunk--nothing. Clean finish that makes you smack your lips and say, "gee, I could put a few of these down." And I did. Bottom line: Unique packaging and very drinkable. Definitely something I'd keep in my fridge from time-to-time.

01-23-2013 03:12:50 | More by tugdriver7
knowledge

3.61/5  rDev +31.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Another brew in the 6% ABV category, tried again at this dimly lit establishment, as you should check out my review on its nearest competitor, Bud BC.

I'm going to make this really brief and understandable - this beer tastes like Evian water with a slight hint of effervescence, as this brew lacks carbonation big time. Despite this characteristic flaw, I did enjoy the beer with Shrimps cocktail. A worthy one-time try (at least) - it is slightly better than Bud BC. Bon appetit!

06-15-2013 16:42:14 | More by knowledge
Beck's Sapphire from Brauerei Beck & Co.