Beck's Sapphire - Brauerei Beck & Co.

Beck's SapphireBeck's Sapphire

poor

poor

Brauerei Beck & Co. visit their website
Germany

German Pilsener |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: peabody on 12-21-2012

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beck's Sapphire Alström Bros
firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last
1.99/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.75

"Product of USA"

InBev no longer imports Beck's. I have a feeling Beck's Sapphire isn't sold in Germany anyways.

Beck's Sapphire website says that this beer is brewed, like all Beck's beers, according to "the German Purity Law of 1516."

A: Light golden color. One finger head after a middle-of-the-road pour. Head is fizzy looking and dies within minutes. Ring of foam remains for the entire glass as does a patchy thin-as-paper head. Slight lacing depends on how fast you drink.

S: Sweet. Peppery. Some lemon.

T: Ugh. Sugary sweetness dominates. This is like Budweiser Black Crown turned down to 7/10ths. There is very little flavor to speak of. You can taste Beck's in there if you try really hard. A mouth puckering bitterness comes on at the middle and lasts after the sweetness dies. I guess that's the Sapphire hops as I sure as hell can't find them anywhere else in this beer.

M: Medium-high fizzy carbonation. Like Budweiser Black Crown this is more substantial than expected. Leaves a stickiness in the mouth.

O: Don't bother. If you like Beck's stick with Beck's. I'd call this Beck's Ice and price it down about 20%. Usually I'd approve of making a stronger version of the original. If this wasn't so stupidly sweet it would be good. (1,253 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -29%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

This is a terrible beer. I had hoped that this German Macro could pull off a nice brew with this "Sapphire", I was wrong. Had a heavy skunky presence. avoid (159 characters)

1.95/5  rDev -29.3%

This was a disappointment. After all the advertising, I was hoping for something special. But this is a bland beer with nothing special. I think AB is trying to compete with craft beers. But all they did was raise the alcohol level without adding any taste. Also: the brewery is listed above as being in Germany. That's not correct. The bottle says St. Louis MO (the home of AB) but I suspect the beer is brewed somewhere else. Also misleading is all the references to Germany and German hops on the bottle & carton. It's not a German beer. And it's not better than the original Beck's. (586 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -30.1%

Not much to add here. I haven't had a Beck's beer since the early 80's and I remember it was decent. This rendition however tastes like cheap malt liquor. What happened? It has no resemblance of the German style beer I remember. It's sweet, tastes of corn and is certainly not worth what I paid. If I get the squirts then I'll know it's just repackaged, beechwood aged spew! (374 characters)

1.91/5  rDev -30.8%

Pours light golden yellow with a thin fizzy white head that quickly becomes a wispy patch.

The smell is of cereal/grain (with some soap?). A touch of peppery alcohol comes through.

The taste is of cereal - mild sweet grain. Saphir hops (which I assume is being used, and re-named "sapphire" for marketing reasons) are sweet and almost tangerine-like. Here, they might add to an already sweet brew, but do little else. Alcohol comes through in a malt liquor way. Some wet cardboard (and a hint of soap?) gives a bland, rather unpleasant finish.

The feel is on the fizzy, almost watery side. It is somewhat slick, and hardly refreshing.

This hardly resembles a traditional pilsner. More towards a malt liquor without the adjuncts. Catchy name, though. By the way, this was brewed in St. Louis, MO. Beck's has some decent brews for a big brewery, but this is not one of them. Not good. (886 characters)

1.87/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

Tonights palate washer.

Not much to say. Guys, this stuff is brewed in St.Louis, not Germany. Just because it says German beer doesn't make it good.

Becks version of BL Platinum and a skunky one at that.

Hipster area only. (225 characters)

1.77/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12 oz bottle. Pours golden hue with long lasting, foamy, white head. Nose is of honey and bready malt. Body is light-medium and smooth. Finish is watery. Taste is of bready malt, some honey and hint of hops. Nice drain pour. At least I did not pay for this. (257 characters)

1.74/5  rDev -37%

Nice golden beer with the thinnest of head. Even as I began to pour to the center of the glass I couldn't arouse much foam.

Smell was mostly lacking. No hops aroma at all and very little malt aroma. Noticed a slight corn aroma and a hint of alcohol.

The taste was a very slight corn flavor, almost no notice of the higher ABV and virtually no after taste with the exception of the slight alcohol note.

Mouthfeel is dry and very effervescent.

I purchased this beer today with no preconceived notions. I had never seen, read or heard of this before I saw it in the store. I generally don't purchase Becks although I do like German Pils'. I am utterly let down about the beer overall. This beer tastes almost exactly like the Budweiser Platinum without the heavy alcohol hit at the end. It has no hints of hops at all and no malt taste. I read the back of the beer and it plainly states, Brewed in St. Louis MO. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the base grain bill for this beer is almost identical to Budweiser. My guess is InBev is going after the hipster market that won't purchase Bud Platinum. I would suggest this to anyone that likes light American Lagers, otherwise move on. (1,185 characters)

1.73/5  rDev -37.3%

Hmm. I had to try this one when it came out. It pours a light amber/ golden with a white head that dissapears as fast as you can pour. what little foam remains leaves some slight lacing. It smells like watered down beer, some malt and what I assume are the "Sapphire hops". The taste is soapy to the point that I dumped my first beer out and rinsed the glass, only to find out that it was the beer. It has a light mouthfeel with some moderate, prickly carbonation. Overall, Pretty gross. (487 characters)

1.7/5  rDev -38.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

Clear golden yellow, maybe just a shade towards orange. Very pale yellow, fine, medium retention head. Esters on the nose, not much else indicating perhaps that it is past its expiration date. Can't find a bottling date. Some of the same on the palate, unfortunately (meaning this review won't be fair or accurate to the beer when fresh...something I will hopefully be able to make amends for soon). Still drinkable in my opinion (but I'm highly tolerant), just too sugary and fruity (lemons, apple or pear). Just barely hoppy in the finish. Light in body. Seems watery before bubbles clear out, but afterwards a bit syrupy. Low to medium, fine, somewhat prickly carbonation. Not too dry, but a little warming. All in all, more like a malt liquor than a German PIlsner, but again, this is probably due to how old it is. (819 characters)

1.12/5  rDev -59.4%

This beer is a borderline scam, brewed on Madison Avenue more so than Bremen [bitter laugh] or even St. Louis. Ten years ago, they just called this Busch Beer. It's a high alcohol content Budweiser re-branded as Beck's in a distinctive black bottle. German "sapphir" hops aside, this beer is no German pilsner, in any way, smell, taste or form. I'm looking into my empty glass glumly trying to discern evidence of any beer-related sensory stimulus whatsoever. (459 characters)

1.03/5  rDev -62.7%

This is Budweiser, made in St Louis, USA. It is Simple-Headed American Corporate beer designed for profit and does not share the tastes or quality of the German Brewery that we all enjoyed in the past.

The Mega Corporation responsible for the drastic decline in our favorite beers, like Beck's, Stella Artois, Hoegaarden, Leffe and Bass Ale~ is InBEV. Responsible beer enthusiasts will avoid these beers, before InBEV gobbles up every private brewery!

Already most bar's selection of beers only include the above list for European beers. Thankfully, I only bought one bottle of this Stuff! (591 characters)

bought a sixer and was looking forward to the "german sapphire hops"
served @ 55°
poured into a scotch tasting snifter , fine bubbles almost resembling or is artificially carbonated.

1st thing you notice is the extreme absence of hops

malt nose -sort of

mouth feel- on the edge of wetness

color - straw

the black carp swimming around the bottle in their super bowl ad id's the source, it's from a fish tank. (418 characters)

i WISH SOMEONE WANTED TO BUY THE REST OF THIS CASE I BOUGHT BASED ON THE price. like those beatles,i should've known better! i went out and bought a 6 pk of assorted ipa's so i can drink a great beer,then punish myself by choking down this swill! becks-you are ruining your reputation. or did you buy a warehouse full of schmidts or schlitz. ok i see im supposed to describe the actual experience of this shit-imagine mixing alka seltzer with grapefruit juice ok? got it? the end (479 characters)

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last
Beck's Sapphire from Brauerei Beck & Co.