Beck's Sapphire - Brauerei Beck & Co.

Beck's SapphireBeck's Sapphire

Brauerei Beck & Co. visit their website

German Pilsener |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: peabody on 12-21-2012

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beck's Sapphire Alström Bros

Beck's Sapphire brewed by Brauerei Beck & Co., with an ABV of 6.0% This brew pours out a deep golden amber color, with a small white head. The smell of Beck's Sapphire, is strong with grains and malts. You do pick up some hops. I like the strong brew smell to Beck's Sapphire. Nothing bad so far. Now for the taste, it is bold with flavors. There is a lot going on in this brew. You pick up some nice grins , malts and hit of hops at te end. Beck's Sapphire has a real nice balance to it, there is nothing overpowering about this brew. The mouthfeel of Beck's Sapphire, is rich, bold and refreshing. I would drink Beck's Sapphire over Beck's. There is no bad aftertaste it is just smooth and clean. You really can't pick up on the high ABV in this brew. Overall I'm giving Beck's Sapphire a soild 4 out 5. I would buy this brew again . Brauerei Beck & Co., did a nice job with this one.

1.81/5  rDev -35.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a glass out of the bottle.

Look: Golden, with maybe half a finger of foam, which dissipated quickly.

Smell: Sweet and malty, but also very boozy.

Taste: Boozy and sweet. I tried to detect other flavors, but they were overwhelmed by the booziness.

Feel: The mouth-feel is rather watery.

Overall impression: This doesn't quite live up to what a German Pilsener should be - no head, no zest, etc. Unfortunately, it's marketed as a German beer despite being brewed in St. Louis, Missouri. The nail in the coffin for me was how boozy it tasted. It made the beer seem a little cheap. I think that if it hadn't been as boozy, the other tastes, if they exist, would have been more apparent if the ABV were lower. The Sapphire hops have potential, but it hasn't been utilized properly.

2.77/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

From the bottle in a pint glass. This brew pours a bright yellow with a quickly dissipating head of white foam that settles to a razor thin ring and little lacing. Nose of sweet malts and some moderately strong grains. Flavors Follow the nose with sweet malts and a grain notes on all sides. No hops detected in the brew, just sweetness and a lingering sweetness at that. Very smooth and subtly crisp, but has a watery mouth feel and finishes thin.

I cut my teeth on Becks and Becks dark a LONG time ago, this one is like Becks trying to imitate the Russian style of brewing and missing the mark substantially. Rather disappointing.

2.49/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from my 12 fl oz (355 ml) bottle into a tulip glass.

I like the can, but a can /bottle does not maketh the brew . . .

The nose is airy, light flower almost like freshly laundered linen put out to dry in a green field (like Downy fabric softener). Thick foamy head, nice dark golden hue. It has a thin feel in the mouth a cross somewhere between high-octane spirit like moonshne or Everclear; seltzer, and day-old tea. The taste of hops is there but it's been diluted by the characters above. Make no mistake: It's not a good brew at all, but I don;t think it's as bad as some of the reviewers had made this out to be. But if you want to go good and cheap for your beer: Pass on this one: You can do better. Otherwise, only if you must.

2.22/5  rDev -20.4%

The look is regular, just a yellowish liquid. Not much to say.

The smell is good, usual beer scent and a bit sweet.

The only redeeming feature of the taste is a very brief pretzel flavour. Otherwise it sort of just tastes like glue or something. . .

The feel is awful. I never thought I'd ever describe a beer as slimy, but it applies here.

Overall: awful awful awful. This beer has no purpose in life. It should just be discontinued.

2.63/5  rDev -5.7%

I've been on this thing where after work I buy a different cheap beer that I haven't tried yet from my local corner store/gas station.
Poured from pint-sized can that does not provide "born on" date, into my frozen mug. My guess is it's about a year old. Not that it really matters. This one was $1.49 in Upstate NY.
Appearance: Golden straw color, plenty of carbonation and lacing that disappears after it's been sitting for a minute.
Smell: This one was rather mild. Pretty much smelled like a cheap, corny straw beer. Just didn't punch you in the face with that smell. I have a terrible sense of smell so you won't get any more details than that.
Taste: First taste is great until you swallow and get the aftertaste. It's the same kind of adjunct taste except it's notably smoother and more refreshing. I found that I could actually keep sipping this one without having too sour of a taste in my mouth. Pretty malty and sweet, just not bitter/hoppy in the least. If anyone could taste any sort of hop in this at all, you're either lying or deserve an award for sophisticated palate.
Feel: A little on the watery side, but the carbonation helps smooth it out. Pretty basic, but it's other qualities help this one quite a bit.
Overall: Overall I liked this one and would drink it again for the price. Definitely not something I would seek out when I have money I can spend on beer (I would MUCH prefer pretty much anything micro). Drinkable and I could go for another, but being realistic, these macro companies need to stop acting like they are something they are not. This beer was brewed in St. Louis, and it is a terrible example of a Pilsner or Lager as it is labeled to be on the can. This is closer to an American Adjunct, though it was brewed to compete with Bud Light Platinum.

2.88/5  rDev +3.2%

Drank from can.

Smelled slightly metallic with corn and malt and herbal earth.

Taste is corn, metallic notes, malt and bitter herb in The finish. This is not a bad beer, it is alright. It is, however, a very poor example of a Pilsner.

1.87/5  rDev -33%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

Tonights palate washer.

Not much to say. Guys, this stuff is brewed in St.Louis, not Germany. Just because it says German beer doesn't make it good.

Becks version of BL Platinum and a skunky one at that.

Hipster area only.

1.96/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

This is a terrible beer. I had hoped that this German Macro could pull off a nice brew with this "Sapphire", I was wrong. Had a heavy skunky presence. avoid

1.7/5  rDev -39.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

Clear golden yellow, maybe just a shade towards orange. Very pale yellow, fine, medium retention head. Esters on the nose, not much else indicating perhaps that it is past its expiration date. Can't find a bottling date. Some of the same on the palate, unfortunately (meaning this review won't be fair or accurate to the beer when fresh...something I will hopefully be able to make amends for soon). Still drinkable in my opinion (but I'm highly tolerant), just too sugary and fruity (lemons, apple or pear). Just barely hoppy in the finish. Light in body. Seems watery before bubbles clear out, but afterwards a bit syrupy. Low to medium, fine, somewhat prickly carbonation. Not too dry, but a little warming. All in all, more like a malt liquor than a German Pilsner, but again, this is probably due to how old it is. Hope they bring it back so I can do it justice.

2.4/5  rDev -14%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

16 oz can after an afternoon of painting.
Looks innocent enough, pale yellow with a decent head. Thin watery mouthfeel, grainy corn and hints of metal. Even for a macro this isn't that good.

3.5/5  rDev +25.4%

I'm starting to think people on here (including the site founders) have some sort of weird anti-macro bias/agenda. The only macro that I've seen rated above good so far is Spaten Optimator. I like entering the ratings and reviews on here to keep track of the beers I've had and the ones I like or don't like, but aside from that, I'm starting to question why I'm on here so often as I apparently have nothing in common with anyone else (given my ratings compared to others).

This is a nice easy drinking German Pilsener and I like it quite a bit.

3.48/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Thin white head. Typical yellow appearance. Shows decent carbonation. Very light aroma. Slight hint of corn with even less malt. The flavor is a bit dull for the style, and reminds me of an ice beer. Also, it has a slightly sour finish. It has a decent mouthfeel. Not too watery. Semi-dry finish. Overall, This is an OK beer. Nothing special. If I'm correct in assuming the date on the bottle indicates it has been over a year since this beer was bottled, then this may be one reason I found this beer to be so-so.

12 oz bottle
Code on Bottle: 14059
Served in a Pilsner glass

I love this beer. Smooth. Just the way I like it. LIke the man said while looking at the nude picture, "I may not know art, but I know what I like."

2.1/5  rDev -24.7%

Pours a hazy yellow with a very fizzy head that trails the glass. The smell was mostly alcohol with a bit of rice on the back end. The taste wasn't as strong as I was expecting with some rice up front and then a bit of hops on the end but nothing too overwhelming. The feel of it was very thin for the alcohol content. Wasn't very impressed.

2.72/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Serving: From the bottle
Served: Thanksgiving at the relative's house

Look: I had this one from the bottle, so I can't comment much on the look of the beer itself. The bottle, however, is brown (nice!) with a sleek black label. Kudos for switching to brown bottles for this beer, Anheuser-Busch!

Smell: Faint grainy earthiness, skunk, and slight spicy notes.

Taste: Are there hops in this? The taste is just about what you'd expect- primarily "beery" with strange earthy astringencies. There is just a barely perceptible hop bitterness if you really think about it, and just a barely perceptible spicy twang to the beer. But as I said- barely perceptible. Better than the regular Becks because of the bottle, which cuts down on the skunkiness.

Mouthfeel: Light body with high carbonation. Quaffable.

Overall: Another poor offering from a poor brewer. I had this one to get the tick and the bottle cap, but moved quickly to Spotted Cow at my family's Thanksgiving party. Don't waste your time with this beer.

3.2/5  rDev +14.7%

Pours one finger of head on a clear light straw body.
The aroma is clean grains and lemon.
The taste is moderate lemon bitterness. Fine enough.
The texture is smooth and crisp.
Pretty enjoyable.

2.63/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a golden crystal clear color. Head is fast and leaves very quickly with no visible lacing to speak of. Lots of tiny bubbles continue their trek to the top throughout the drinking process. Aroma is bready with just a touch of background skunk. Taste is ok, with a touch of bitterness, but not sure if that is the hops or just a mediocre beer I am tasting. I get a grassy-hay flavor. Feel is not that great, typical mass produced beer.

2.83/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Pours a clear golden yellow with a medium white head. Aroma and Taste sweet citrus, grains, mild grass notes with some sweet lemon flavors and mild bitterness on the end. A medium crisp body, moderate carbonation. Has sweet citrus lemon flavors with some grains , grass and mild bitterness finish. Overall a crisp, refreshing and drinkable brew for a hot summer day. Good for what it is.

2.5/5  rDev -10.4%

10 oz bottle poured into Pilsner glass.

Clearn, medium to dark gold with 1 inch white head that disappears quickly with very mild lacing. A lot of tiny bubbles.

Light malt aroma with minimal hop presence.

Taste is smooth, light malt, very mild bitterness an d dry finish. Bit of ethanol.

Light body, high carbonation.

Overall a smooth, dry American-style lager. No faults and lacks the typical Beck's skunk, but not much flavor or aroma going on.

3.35/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Clear gold with a two finger head that leaves quickly leaving a few splatters of lace.
Smell is malty with a bit of grassy hops.
Taste is sweet malts with a touch of herbal grassy hops.
Mouthfel is light to medium with adequete carbonation. Finishes lightly sweet with a almost no hop bitterness.
Overall a German malt liquor.
Too sweet not enough hop presence.
The German answer to Bud Light Platinum or Miller Fortune. Why bother?

2.16/5  rDev -22.6%

One problem with this beer is that it isn't a dark beer, but it nevertheless comes in a black bottle and advertises the name "Sapphire," which gives you certain expectations that it then fails to meet. It has a very floral smell, and this comes out in the taste, which just isn't much to write home about. It isn't an unpleasant beer, per se, but there just isn't much to it. It is very easy to drink, but also highly forgettable.

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. The label lists the abv at 6%.

Appearance: It has a tall soapy head which settles out quickly leaving not much lacing. The beer itself has a clear golden body with some visible carbonation.

Smell: There is a white bread like maltiness with light candy like notes in the background. It also has a slight hop presence.

Taste / Palate: There is not a lot going on here. It has a light white bready like malt base with a quick hint of sweetness, a slight touch of grainy alcohol and then a clean dry finish with light hop notes.

2.25/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

This is a re-review as my opinion has changed the more I have tried this beer (not for the better)
Poured from 16 oz can into pint glass
Appearance: 1" off white head recedes quickly with mild lacing. Color is a clear light amber. Plenty of carbonation evident, but carbonation disappears and becomes flat within a few minutes
Aroma: fairly mild. Caramel sweetness, lightly toasted malt, mild hops.
Mouthfeel: light and watery. Finish is dry.
Flavor: there is a strange flavor in this beer that I cannot put my finger own, but it is some sort of cloying sweetness. The hops do not seem to combine well with this sweet/syrupy flavor at all.
Overall: I liked this beer pretty well the first time I have tried it. I have since had it 3-4 more times and it tastes worse to me each time.

2.79/5  rDev 0%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Poured into a fluted pilsner glass.

Look: Nice golden color, rising bubbles. A white head that leaves an even film, but no lacing.

Aroma: Sweet malts, cereal grains, faint sour hops.

Taste: Clean, sweet. Malts and barley mostly, and a sour finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, dry.

Overall: Boring.

Beck's Sapphire from Brauerei Beck & Co.