Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Beck's Sapphire - Brauerei Beck & Co.

Beck's SapphireBeck's Sapphire

Brauerei Beck & Co. visit their website

German Pilsener |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: peabody on 12-21-2012

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beck's Sapphire Alström Bros

bought a sixer and was looking forward to the "german sapphire hops"
served @ 55°
poured into a scotch tasting snifter , fine bubbles almost resembling or is artificially carbonated.

1st thing you notice is the extreme absence of hops

malt nose -sort of

mouth feel- on the edge of wetness

color - straw

the black carp swimming around the bottle in their super bowl ad id's the source, it's from a fish tank.

i WISH SOMEONE WANTED TO BUY THE REST OF THIS CASE I BOUGHT BASED ON THE price. like those beatles,i should've known better! i went out and bought a 6 pk of assorted ipa's so i can drink a great beer,then punish myself by choking down this swill! becks-you are ruining your reputation. or did you buy a warehouse full of schmidts or schlitz. ok i see im supposed to describe the actual experience of this shit-imagine mixing alka seltzer with grapefruit juice ok? got it? the end

1.03/5  rDev -63.1%

This is Budweiser, made in St Louis, USA. It is Simple-Headed American Corporate beer designed for profit and does not share the tastes or quality of the German Brewery that we all enjoyed in the past.

The Mega Corporation responsible for the drastic decline in our favorite beers, like Beck's, Stella Artois, Hoegaarden, Leffe and Bass Ale~ is InBEV. Responsible beer enthusiasts will avoid these beers, before InBEV gobbles up every private brewery!

Already most bar's selection of beers only include the above list for European beers. Thankfully, I only bought one bottle of this Stuff!

1.12/5  rDev -59.9%

This beer is a borderline scam, brewed on Madison Avenue more so than Bremen [bitter laugh] or even St. Louis. Ten years ago, they just called this Busch Beer. It's a high alcohol content Budweiser re-branded as Beck's in a distinctive black bottle. German "sapphir" hops aside, this beer is no German pilsner, in any way, smell, taste or form. I'm looking into my empty glass glumly trying to discern evidence of any beer-related sensory stimulus whatsoever.

1.7/5  rDev -39.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

Clear golden yellow, maybe just a shade towards orange. Very pale yellow, fine, medium retention head. Esters on the nose, not much else indicating perhaps that it is past its expiration date. Can't find a bottling date. Some of the same on the palate, unfortunately (meaning this review won't be fair or accurate to the beer when fresh...something I will hopefully be able to make amends for soon). Still drinkable in my opinion (but I'm highly tolerant), just too sugary and fruity (lemons, apple or pear). Just barely hoppy in the finish. Light in body. Seems watery before bubbles clear out, but afterwards a bit syrupy. Low to medium, fine, somewhat prickly carbonation. Not too dry, but a little warming. All in all, more like a malt liquor than a German PIlsner, but again, this is probably due to how old it is.

1.73/5  rDev -38%

Hmm. I had to try this one when it came out. It pours a light amber/ golden with a white head that dissapears as fast as you can pour. what little foam remains leaves some slight lacing. It smells like watered down beer, some malt and what I assume are the "Sapphire hops". The taste is soapy to the point that I dumped my first beer out and rinsed the glass, only to find out that it was the beer. It has a light mouthfeel with some moderate, prickly carbonation. Overall, Pretty gross.

1.74/5  rDev -37.6%

Nice golden beer with the thinnest of head. Even as I began to pour to the center of the glass I couldn't arouse much foam.

Smell was mostly lacking. No hops aroma at all and very little malt aroma. Noticed a slight corn aroma and a hint of alcohol.

The taste was a very slight corn flavor, almost no notice of the higher ABV and virtually no after taste with the exception of the slight alcohol note.

Mouthfeel is dry and very effervescent.

I purchased this beer today with no preconceived notions. I had never seen, read or heard of this before I saw it in the store. I generally don't purchase Becks although I do like German Pils'. I am utterly let down about the beer overall. This beer tastes almost exactly like the Budweiser Platinum without the heavy alcohol hit at the end. It has no hints of hops at all and no malt taste. I read the back of the beer and it plainly states, Brewed in St. Louis MO. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the base grain bill for this beer is almost identical to Budweiser. My guess is InBev is going after the hipster market that won't purchase Bud Platinum. I would suggest this to anyone that likes light American Lagers, otherwise move on.

1.77/5  rDev -36.6%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12 oz bottle. Pours golden hue with long lasting, foamy, white head. Nose is of honey and bready malt. Body is light-medium and smooth. Finish is watery. Taste is of bready malt, some honey and hint of hops. Nice drain pour. At least I did not pay for this.

1.87/5  rDev -33%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

Tonights palate washer.

Not much to say. Guys, this stuff is brewed in St.Louis, not Germany. Just because it says German beer doesn't make it good.

Becks version of BL Platinum and a skunky one at that.

Hipster area only.

1.91/5  rDev -31.5%

Pours light golden yellow with a thin fizzy white head that quickly becomes a wispy patch.

The smell is of cereal/grain (with some soap?). A touch of peppery alcohol comes through.

The taste is of cereal - mild sweet grain. Saphir hops (which I assume is being used, and re-named "sapphire" for marketing reasons) are sweet and almost tangerine-like. Here, they might add to an already sweet brew, but do little else. Alcohol comes through in a malt liquor way. Some wet cardboard (and a hint of soap?) gives a bland, rather unpleasant finish.

The feel is on the fizzy, almost watery side. It is somewhat slick, and hardly refreshing.

This hardly resembles a traditional pilsner. More towards a malt liquor without the adjuncts. Catchy name, though. By the way, this was brewed in St. Louis, MO. Beck's has some decent brews for a big brewery, but this is not one of them. Not good.

1.93/5  rDev -30.8%

Not much to add here. I haven't had a Beck's beer since the early 80's and I remember it was decent. This rendition however tastes like cheap malt liquor. What happened? It has no resemblance of the German style beer I remember. It's sweet, tastes of corn and is certainly not worth what I paid. If I get the squirts then I'll know it's just repackaged, beechwood aged spew!

1.95/5  rDev -30.1%

This was a disappointment. After all the advertising, I was hoping for something special. But this is a bland beer with nothing special. I think AB is trying to compete with craft beers. But all they did was raise the alcohol level without adding any taste. Also: the brewery is listed above as being in Germany. That's not correct. The bottle says St. Louis MO (the home of AB) but I suspect the beer is brewed somewhere else. Also misleading is all the references to Germany and German hops on the bottle & carton. It's not a German beer. And it's not better than the original Beck's.

1.96/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

This is a terrible beer. I had hoped that this German Macro could pull off a nice brew with this "Sapphire", I was wrong. Had a heavy skunky presence. avoid

1.99/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.75

"Product of USA"

InBev no longer imports Beck's. I have a feeling Beck's Sapphire isn't sold in Germany anyways.

Beck's Sapphire website says that this beer is brewed, like all Beck's beers, according to "the German Purity Law of 1516."

A: Light golden color. One finger head after a middle-of-the-road pour. Head is fizzy looking and dies within minutes. Ring of foam remains for the entire glass as does a patchy thin-as-paper head. Slight lacing depends on how fast you drink.

S: Sweet. Peppery. Some lemon.

T: Ugh. Sugary sweetness dominates. This is like Budweiser Black Crown turned down to 7/10ths. There is very little flavor to speak of. You can taste Beck's in there if you try really hard. A mouth puckering bitterness comes on at the middle and lasts after the sweetness dies. I guess that's the Sapphire hops as I sure as hell can't find them anywhere else in this beer.

M: Medium-high fizzy carbonation. Like Budweiser Black Crown this is more substantial than expected. Leaves a stickiness in the mouth.

O: Don't bother. If you like Beck's stick with Beck's. I'd call this Beck's Ice and price it down about 20%. Usually I'd approve of making a stronger version of the original. If this wasn't so stupidly sweet it would be good.

2.01/5  rDev -28%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass in high elevation Kalispell, Mont. Reviewed live.

A- Three-finger white head with large bubbles rapidly eroding. Pilsner color, golden color beer. Nothing special.

S- Slightly spicy hop aroma. Pretty much all I'm getting from this. Like a pils.

T- Water with a few earthy hops dunked in. Tastes like watered down tea. Not bad tasting...but almost not tasting at all.

M- Water. Maybe a little bit thicker.

O- Mediocre is too high a score for this beer. Not bad tasting, but pretty much just water.

2.1/5  rDev -24.7%

Pours a hazy yellow with a very fizzy head that trails the glass. The smell was mostly alcohol with a bit of rice on the back end. The taste wasn't as strong as I was expecting with some rice up front and then a bit of hops on the end but nothing too overwhelming. The feel of it was very thin for the alcohol content. Wasn't very impressed.

2.16/5  rDev -22.6%

One problem with this beer is that it isn't a dark beer, but it nevertheless comes in a black bottle and advertises the name "Sapphire," which gives you certain expectations that it then fails to meet. It has a very floral smell, and this comes out in the taste, which just isn't much to write home about. It isn't an unpleasant beer, per se, but there just isn't much to it. It is very easy to drink, but also highly forgettable.

2.19/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Wow - a new Becks. This one's named after the hop variety they use in the beer. $8.49 for a 6 pack at the Convenient store in Bloomingdale, IL. 12oz black bottles with no freshness date. I also noticed the label says these are brewed in the US - not Germany.

The beer poured a crystal clear pale gold color with a 3-finger white head that had good retention, but left very little lacing.

It's a bit sweet smelling with a fair amount of cereal grain and grassy hops.

Semi-sweet cereal grain flavor with very little hop bitterness, which is a bit strange and disappointing considering they named the beer after a hop variety that is supposed to be in here.

Very light bodied with low carbonation - too low in my opinion.

This is my least favorite Beck's product that I have tried to date.

2.22/5  rDev -20.4%

The look is regular, just a yellowish liquid. Not much to say.

The smell is good, usual beer scent and a bit sweet.

The only redeeming feature of the taste is a very brief pretzel flavour. Otherwise it sort of just tastes like glue or something. . .

The feel is awful. I never thought I'd ever describe a beer as slimy, but it applies here.

Overall: awful awful awful. This beer has no purpose in life. It should just be discontinued.

2.23/5  rDev -20.1%

Bottle poured into a pint glass.

The appearance of this beer is an extremely bubbly golden color (it is a little dark in here so I may be off...but that's the best i can do by holding it to the white light of my computer screen) and the head lingers shortly and then disappears. The aroma is mildly hoppy and grainy sweet, but mostly nonexistent. The flavor is...well....pretty much nothing as well. There is a slight hoppy flavor (and I mean very, very slight) with just mild graininess. The mouth feel is light, watery, nothingness.

This is barely better than an American Macro beer. Actually, it may not be any better. This was a free sample given to me when I bought a case of Nugget Nectar, and for the price that I'm guessing this costs I would much rather buy PBR or LIon's Head or something...or Genesee

2.23/5  rDev -20.1%

A- Pours a medium yellow hue. Small one finger head that is there one second and then gone the next. Lacing was nonexistent. Deeper in color than regular Beck's. Constant carbonation bubbles rising.

S- Very faint. Very slight skunky smell of a pils like its predecessor. Slight malt notes are detectable. Very little to none of the hops promised on the beer's label.

T- The closest thing I can relate to this beer is a malt liquor. Not quite as repulsive malt wise as a Colt 45, but definitely reminiscent of a toned down malt liquor. Starts off with a slight metallic flavor and very light grainy flavors. The drink stays one dimensional in this way until pretty much the end where there is a slight bite. Bite is maybe a little from the hops but more on the alcohol bitter side from the raised ABV.

M- Light and watery on the palate with very high carbonation. Slick going down, and alcohol is slightly detectable in the taste.

I don't enjoy German pilseners with the skunky flavor profile like regular Beck's, but this is worse. Just not a good beer, especially when it touts hops on the label and none are to be tasted.

2.25/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

This is a re-review as my opinion has changed the more I have tried this beer (not for the better)
Poured from 16 oz can into pint glass
Appearance: 1" off white head recedes quickly with mild lacing. Color is a clear light amber. Plenty of carbonation evident, but carbonation disappears and becomes flat within a few minutes
Aroma: fairly mild. Caramel sweetness, lightly toasted malt, mild hops.
Mouthfeel: light and watery. Finish is dry.
Flavor: there is a strange flavor in this beer that I cannot put my finger own, but it is some sort of cloying sweetness. The hops do not seem to combine well with this sweet/syrupy flavor at all.
Overall: I liked this beer pretty well the first time I have tried it. I have since had it 3-4 more times and it tastes worse to me each time.

2.27/5  rDev -18.6%

Poured a medium straw hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was good retention and lacing.

The smell featured adjunct sweetness and a grassy hop.

The taste consisted of a round artificial sweetness and a slight hop.

The mouthfeel was full for the style.

Overall a poor euro lager. Stripped of any character in an attempt at smoothness.

2.27/5  rDev -18.6%

One of the more disappointing beers I've sampled. Been a huge fan of Beck's for a while now, so when I saw a new variety, I was extremely excited to try it. Sapphire hops? Ok, whatever. Never heard of them but I thought I'd try it.

Upon cracking the bottle open, it smelled dank and sour, much like a mass produced cheap adjunct lager. And the taste was just as bad. Very bitter in a bad way, yet very watery. Very dry afterwards. To be honest, it tasted a lot like Bud Light Platinum to me. This beer had no positives, other than being slightly better than most cheap light beers. Won't drink again.

2.28/5  rDev -18.3%

Note: this stuff's made in St. Louis NOT Germany.

A: Pours slightly darker than your typical lager, but only slightly. Head is thin and full of holes without much staying power.

S-Sweet, boozy smell: not too enticing.

T-Sweet but thin. Near-decent at first, but then the aftertaste leaves you wondering if you just cracked a Steel Reserve. Not at all what I expected.

M-Thin and a bit fizzy. As the glass warms up, the mouthfeel quickly changes, becoming flat and very thin making me think..how long ago did I open this thing?

O-Seems like this is Beck's contribution to the craft-beer craze. Lately, I've been trying the other commercial brewery's offerings in the same idea, i.e. Bud's Black Crown & Coors Batch 19; mostly out of curiosity and to see how they stack up. I'd say this is a very poor attempt at tapping into a ripe market.

Constructive criticism: Thicken the head. Darken the color. Pleasurize the aftertaste. Make a more honest label. Keep the ABV.

Beck's Sapphire from Brauerei Beck & Co.