Beck's Sapphire - Brauerei Beck & Co.

Beck's SapphireBeck's Sapphire

poor

poor

Brauerei Beck & Co. visit their website
Germany

German Pilsener |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: peabody on 12-21-2012

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beck's Sapphire Alström Bros
firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last
3.5/5  rDev +26.8%

I'm starting to think people on here (including the site founders) have some sort of weird anti-macro bias/agenda. The only macro that I've seen rated above good so far is Spaten Optimator. I like entering the ratings and reviews on here to keep track of the beers I've had and the ones I like or don't like, but aside from that, I'm starting to question why I'm on here so often as I apparently have nothing in common with anyone else (given my ratings compared to others).

This is a nice easy drinking German Pilsener and I like it quite a bit. (550 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +26.8%

Beck's Sapphire (2014) - 6% ABV. Pours with a thick head that dissipates to decent lacing. Red amber hue. Decent carbonation. Light mouthfeel. Wet. Very malty and sweet on the front palate. More of an Oktoberfest or Markzen style beer. Lots of barley, bread, and wheat. Smooth syrup sugar-- caramel. Mid-palate there is just a quick hint of hops. A slight alcohol bite. Rolls back to malt, syrup, and wheat. Slight alcohol and maple syrup after taste. Very light taste. Drinkable. Hiding in its ABV. Extremely smooth. I think the problem is that you expect more from the Sapphire hops as you should-- it's a good German beer, but if you're looking for bite you will be disappointed. It is a good beer-- but it isn't hoppy. It's malt and creamy. Had they labeled it Marzen it would be more well received, but it is what it is as they say. 3.5. Good. (848 characters)

3.51/5  rDev +27.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

16 oz. tallboy into a pilsner glass.

A - Pours a crystal clear golden amber color. To be honest I wasn't even sure what style of beer this was going to be but the color is thankfully a few shades darker than the straw yellow I was imagining it would pour. Two fingers of soapy bone white foam. Rising carbonation.

S - Lots of cereal grain sweetness with a touch of grass. Pleasantly neutral.

T - That cereal corn sweetness with a bit of bready malts and some grass and light floral elements. A tame but lasting corn like flavor that I usually associate with adjunct lagers. Very clean and a bit bland but very drinkable and dare I say, tasty?

M - Light, crisp, and refreshing.

O - Far from being a great pilsner, but the reviews do seem a bit biased against Becks. I actually wound up enjoying this beer and would not mind downing a sixer of these on a summer day. (870 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +29.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Wow a brown bottle! Hope it's skunk free
A - Clear bright yellow with a mild orange tint. Head is just a 1/4 inch of head that sticks around for a while.
S - Has the typical lager corn and sweet malts. Not very skunky yet not very strong.
T - Corn sweetness with a touch of lager yeast, some biscuit malt is surprising and some sweeter malts too.
M - Light to medium not bad.
Overall I never really liked Beck's but this one is as advertised, smooth and somewhat hoppy (I guess) (478 characters)

3.59/5  rDev +30.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I liked this beer. A friend gave it to me at a card game. I took it a bit hesitantly because of the word "Hops" in its name. I expected too hoppy a flavor. In reality it had very little hops that I noticed. It was smooth and easy drinking.

I liked it much more than regular Becks. (282 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +30.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not sure why we're still aggregating Beck's under the "Made In Germany" banner because I'm one of those who isn't really happy with the move to the USA; but I must admit I was intrigued by an attempt by A-B to provide a Beck's beverage that was a bit different--if not much different--than the green bottled pilsner. I liked the opaque black bottle (no green bottle skunk), though I was surprised at how light (roughly "gold") in color the beer was once it hit the glass. I got a decent head of white foam that dissipated quickly and left only a hint on top. I agree with many of the descriptions of the flavor here. Initial biscuity malt and a hint of citrus-like hops in the nose. The carbonation was surprisingly light and "spritzy" while the beer itself was light to moderate in density. This made for a strangely mixed yet somewhat refreshing mouthfeel. A tad sweet on the tongue with a mild malty flavor and a hint of that citrusy hops. Flavor profile is one-dimensional and mild. Little bitterness at the end and then nothing. And I mean that in a good way. No off flavors, no skunk--nothing. Clean finish that makes you smack your lips and say, "gee, I could put a few of these down." And I did. Bottom line: Unique packaging and very drinkable. Definitely something I'd keep in my fridge from time-to-time. (1,315 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +30.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Another brew in the 6% ABV category, tried again at this dimly lit establishment, as you should check out my review on its nearest competitor, Bud BC.

I'm going to make this really brief and understandable - this beer tastes like Evian water with a slight hint of effervescence, as this brew lacks carbonation big time. Despite this characteristic flaw, I did enjoy the beer with Shrimps cocktail. A worthy one-time try (at least) - it is slightly better than Bud BC. Bon appetit! (481 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +32.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

16 oz. tallboy can,

A: Pours gold with a medium soapy white head, good retention, some spotty lace.

S: Surprisingly striking, lots of floral character, tropicality - passion fruit, watermelon, some green apple, the freshness of the hops is quite appealing.

T: After the promise of the nose, it drops back to being a middle of the road German lager. Nice malt flavours with a solid hop backing, floral and earthy. Nothing too special, definitely a drinkable beer.

M: Light-bodied, crisp and smooth, with a long hoppy aftertaste (for the style), quite a bit more substantial than one would expect.

O: This is not going to blow anyones' socks off, but for a solid German lager at BMC prices, it certainly works. (713 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +33%

I've never been a big Beck's fan, but this one sparked my curiosity. I picked up a sixer and gave it a go. But I have to admit, my expectations were low.

I poured it down the side of the side of a pilsner glass. It has a yellow-gold look. This beer has almost no head whatsoever, and how ever much it does have dissolves a few seconds after being poured.

The scent is pretty decent, with the German hops taking center stage, but a slight grapefruit tinge can be detected as well.

The taste is fairly hoppy at first, but a tad of sweetness hits the taste buds shortly after it goes down the hatch.

It is pretty smooth actually with an excellent feel. Very drinkable.

I wasn't expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised by what turned out to be a decent brew. I don't think that this beer will be a regular addition to my fridge but it may find it's way there occasionally. (879 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +41.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Beck's Sapphire
12 oz bottle, code dated "12348 SM76"
"Product of USA. ST. LOUIS, MO"
$30.99 per case of 24/12 @ Javie's Beverage, Philadelphia, PA

Apparently brewed by Anheuseur-Busch in the United States, Beck's Sapphire is a fairly basic beer. It doesn't have the bite or bitterness of Beck's (regular), but it does have a nice bit of floral hop flavor to it.

The Sapphire hops (actually Saphir) come through clearly, but keep in mind that they're really just a derivation of the standard "noble" Hallertauer Mittelfrue hops that are so common in European beers, as well as lagers across the globe.

In the end, it's kind of sweetish and there aren't really enough hops to balance it - both in bitterness and flavor. Interestingly, it's 6% ABV, which you would think would leave it a little bit more dry-ish, but it's not. Or was that just a marketing concept for the US?... add a little alcohol and the consumer will think they're actually getting something for their money?

Not really recommended. (1,008 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +48.9%

Picked this up at a grocery store for a dollar a bottle. Poured into a pint glass and yielded about two fingers of white head. The color was very light and clear. Tasted like a very sweet lager with no aftertaste. I would drink this on a hot summer day after mowing the lawn. Overall, it was a nice light change from stouts and IPA's I usually drink. (350 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +51.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Beck's Sapphire (poured into a whiskey glass) has a thin, off-white head, a clear, somewhat bubbly, golden appearance, and minimal lacing left behind. The aroma is faint, but sweet barley malt is detected. The flavor is of sweet, brown bread, barley malt, and an unusual hop bitterness, which is difficult to describe. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Beck's Sapphire finishes dry, clean, crisp, and refreshing. Overall, this is another winner from InBev, and I think it is delicious.

RJT (492 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +76.8%

I'm very surprised by this!! I think it's more in the Euro Pale Lager catagory but their not a huge difference anyhow and I'm no expert. Very different yet cool black bottle, you can barely see through it. I'm short glasses so ill have to stick to that. Smell is pretty faint, average pilsner, nothing ou of the ordinary. The taste however really caught me off guard. It's very sweet upfront then buttery, slight breadlines, followed by more sweet. It's had a really nice creamy velvet mouthfeel I haven't experienced in a pilsner before, but I really like it, goes down real easy. I don't consider 6%abv high but it's more than average BMC's. Overall I can't wait to try this again and this is definetly something I'd keep in my fridge on a regular basis. (756 characters)

I love this beer. Smooth. Just the way I like it. LIke the man said while looking at the nude picture, "I may not know art, but I know what I like." (151 characters)

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last
Beck's Sapphire from Brauerei Beck & Co.