Beck's Sapphire - Brauerei Beck & Co.

Beck's SapphireBeck's Sapphire

Brauerei Beck & Co. visit their website

German Pilsener |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: peabody on 12-21-2012

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beck's Sapphire Alström Bros
firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last
2.79/5  rDev 0%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

12oz bottle, Ommegang tulip, some probable freshness marking on back label of "12346".

The color goes a shade darker than light gold and there is difficulty raising much of a head, especially considering the style. I see that was noted by at least one of the recent reviewers. Really not much to comment on here other than the lack of head, that which is there is white.

Aroma is elusive and unremarkable; a bit of cracker and then I'm unsure if the citrus is there or not and whether my quick Google of Sapphire hops is leading me to say tangerine. After further evaluation, I do believe there is minimal tangerine peel.

Dry, slightly earthy pale malt with cracker yeast. Twinges of noble hops, a hint of citrus, like a glass of seltzer with a lime wedge, and a dry, exceptionally clean finish.

It has carbonation aplenty, but displays it neither in the head nor on the palate. It is crisp, dry, and refreshing, but without the tingle of some gassy lagers.

Sapphire isn't quite as devoid of flavor as some beers from mainstream producers, but it's still pretty flat for an obvious attempt to siphon from the craft market.

3.67/5  rDev +31.5%

I've never been a big Beck's fan, but this one sparked my curiosity. I picked up a sixer and gave it a go. But I have to admit, my expectations were low.

I poured it down the side of the side of a pilsner glass. It has a yellow-gold look. This beer has almost no head whatsoever, and how ever much it does have dissolves a few seconds after being poured.

The scent is pretty decent, with the German hops taking center stage, but a slight grapefruit tinge can be detected as well.

The taste is fairly hoppy at first, but a tad of sweetness hits the taste buds shortly after it goes down the hatch.

It is pretty smooth actually with an excellent feel. Very drinkable.

I wasn't expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised by what turned out to be a decent brew. I don't think that this beer will be a regular addition to my fridge but it may find it's way there occasionally.

2.94/5  rDev +5.4%

I had one of these over the weekend and was surprised that it was not as bad as the regular Becks.

A: The bottle was nicely done in all black. Once poured into a stein the color is straw yellow with an initial head of about a finger which quickly dissipated into a thin lace.

S: The smell I got was that of hops and slight honey. Nothing out of the ordinary.

T: A very smooth beer that starts off a little bitter but ends with a sweet taste. It tastes nothing like a good German beer but compared to the green bottled Becks that's being brewed in the U.S. it's an improvement.

Overall I would rate this beer as average. It wasn't as bad as I thought but it was nothing memorable. A good beer to have when nothing else is available.

1.03/5  rDev -63.1%

This is Budweiser, made in St Louis, USA. It is Simple-Headed American Corporate beer designed for profit and does not share the tastes or quality of the German Brewery that we all enjoyed in the past.

The Mega Corporation responsible for the drastic decline in our favorite beers, like Beck's, Stella Artois, Hoegaarden, Leffe and Bass Ale~ is InBEV. Responsible beer enthusiasts will avoid these beers, before InBEV gobbles up every private brewery!

Already most bar's selection of beers only include the above list for European beers. Thankfully, I only bought one bottle of this Stuff!

2.89/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3

Perfect clarity on this golden hued beer, with a white capped head that recedes quickly from two fingers thick to a thin layer. Doesn't appear to leave any lacing.

They say that this beer is made with Sapphire hops...well I have never smelled sapphire hops, but I guess I am not really a fan. Malts dominate the aroma, with a honeyish sweetness that comes through. The hop aroma, or what I am guessing is the hop aroma is somewhat "earthy" or "herbal."

Taste is malt forward. Bitterness is up front but not aggressive at all. It barely balances the sweet, honey like malt. It lacks any of the traditional noble hop flavor or bitterness. Really disappointing, and certainly resembles an American Adjunct Lager more than a German Pilsner.

Mouthfeel is good. Great level of carbonation and spot on for the style. Body is on the fuller side and works to improve

Eh, I wasn't expecting much and I wasn't let down. Maybe if I thought about this as something other than a German Pils, I would be a bit more forgiving. But as it stands, this is anot a good example of that style. If this was a malt liquor or American Lager, I would say that the score would have improved much more. It doesn't taste bad, but it doesn't hold a candle to any German Pilsners that I have had.

2.91/5  rDev +4.3%

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

Thanks to some boss-ness at my local, the grandiose ticker in me was graced with a single bottle o' this. Always best to assuage that ticking fool... Anyway, this stuff pours a clear golden-brass topped by a finger of lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises partially-artificial-seeming banana, soft wheat, very light sweet flowers, and a hint of biscuit. The taste focuses on the wheat and flowers, but waters them down to keep their edges from showing and adds a heavy splash of sweetness that helps to drown them out regardless. The body is a hefty light, with a light moderate carbonation and a slick feel. Overall, if there actually are any hops here, they're completely o'erwhelmed. Regardless, this stuff is meek as all hell for a pils or any other kind of German lager: It's far too sweet for its own good, and any character beyond that is ridiculed into obscurity.

4.11/5  rDev +47.3%

Picked this up at a grocery store for a dollar a bottle. Poured into a pint glass and yielded about two fingers of white head. The color was very light and clear. Tasted like a very sweet lager with no aftertaste. I would drink this on a hot summer day after mowing the lawn. Overall, it was a nice light change from stouts and IPA's I usually drink.

2.73/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Almost no head atop a bright golden brew... despite the lack of head, a decent lacing shows with the decreasing beer.

Nose is standard Beck's.. I hoped for more... Pale grainy maltiness with little in the way of hops, just some background earthy notes.

Flavor is also "Beck's" grainy beer balanced toward the sweet side of the beer spectrum and only barely balanced by some hoppy bitterness and just a touch of grassy hops toward the end of the palate.

Decent beer.. I would pick this over anything from the Big 3 any day... but I would pick a PBR pounder over the "black glass" just as quickly.

2.47/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured aggressively into a glass. Bready aromas, faint skunk noted in previous entries. Golden color, two-finger creamy, foamy head. No lacing, but ring of foam on top of beer. Light carbonation emanating from the bottom. Malty taste and mouthfeel. A whisper, virtually non-existent, of hop bitterness. Being maltier than regular Beck's, it leaves a coating around the mouth. Almost overwhelmingly sweet. A "fuller," maltier version of Bud. Nothing special.

4.17/5  rDev +49.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Beck's Sapphire (poured into a whiskey glass) has a thin, off-white head, a clear, somewhat bubbly, golden appearance, and minimal lacing left behind. The aroma is faint, but sweet barley malt is detected. The flavor is of sweet, brown bread, barley malt, and an unusual hop bitterness, which is difficult to describe. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Beck's Sapphire finishes dry, clean, crisp, and refreshing. Overall, this is another winner from InBev, and I think it is delicious.

3.05/5  rDev +9.3%

Pours a brilliant golden color with a foamy one inch ivory head that dissipates slowly, leaving no lacing.

Minerals, cracker-like malt, grain, and floral hops form the aroma.

Grain, lightly skunky character, lightly toasted, bready malt, and a little grainy sweetness form the flavor profile. The skunky character is a little odd. Not sure if it's the hops or what.

Body is moderate, with moderate carbonation, light astringency, and a touch of alcohol warmth.

Eh. Grain, lightly toasted malt are good, but the skunky character is offputting.

1.73/5  rDev -38%

Hmm. I had to try this one when it came out. It pours a light amber/ golden with a white head that dissapears as fast as you can pour. what little foam remains leaves some slight lacing. It smells like watered down beer, some malt and what I assume are the "Sapphire hops". The taste is soapy to the point that I dumped my first beer out and rinsed the glass, only to find out that it was the beer. It has a light mouthfeel with some moderate, prickly carbonation. Overall, Pretty gross.

3.17/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A different recipe from regular Becks lager that dials down the sharp bitterness to a mellow and rounded flavor that is very pleasant and easy to drink, if slightly underwhelming. Unfortunately "pleasant" soon turns to monotonous, and this beer simply doesn't have enough character to qualify as sessionable. One bottle is enough, and the palate craves something else.

2.95/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured from a "stylish" black bottle into a standard pint glass.
Clear pale gold in color, with an airy two-inch head of foam.
Aroma-Faint pale malt
Taste-Pale malt, very faint hop prescence, rather creamy mouthfeel. Overall, a very ho-hum pilsner.

4.88/5  rDev +74.9%

I'm very surprised by this!! I think it's more in the Euro Pale Lager catagory but their not a huge difference anyhow and I'm no expert. Very different yet cool black bottle, you can barely see through it. I'm short glasses so ill have to stick to that. Smell is pretty faint, average pilsner, nothing ou of the ordinary. The taste however really caught me off guard. It's very sweet upfront then buttery, slight breadlines, followed by more sweet. It's had a really nice creamy velvet mouthfeel I haven't experienced in a pilsner before, but I really like it, goes down real easy. I don't consider 6%abv high but it's more than average BMC's. Overall I can't wait to try this again and this is definetly something I'd keep in my fridge on a regular basis.

1.74/5  rDev -37.6%

Nice golden beer with the thinnest of head. Even as I began to pour to the center of the glass I couldn't arouse much foam.

Smell was mostly lacking. No hops aroma at all and very little malt aroma. Noticed a slight corn aroma and a hint of alcohol.

The taste was a very slight corn flavor, almost no notice of the higher ABV and virtually no after taste with the exception of the slight alcohol note.

Mouthfeel is dry and very effervescent.

I purchased this beer today with no preconceived notions. I had never seen, read or heard of this before I saw it in the store. I generally don't purchase Becks although I do like German Pils'. I am utterly let down about the beer overall. This beer tastes almost exactly like the Budweiser Platinum without the heavy alcohol hit at the end. It has no hints of hops at all and no malt taste. I read the back of the beer and it plainly states, Brewed in St. Louis MO. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the base grain bill for this beer is almost identical to Budweiser. My guess is InBev is going after the hipster market that won't purchase Bud Platinum. I would suggest this to anyone that likes light American Lagers, otherwise move on.

3.47/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear gold with a small white head.

Smell is clean toasted grain and hay with some black pepper spiciness. Noble hop scent it smells similar to Saaz with pepper added.

Starts out toasted grain with a distinct lemon flavor. Slightly spicy tastes like Becks with a lemon slice. Powdery yeast flavor it is OK and better than the regular Becks.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Overall a tasty beer but nothing really different. Will be an excellent hot weather beer.

2.41/5  rDev -13.6%

Bright and clear gold colour, not much foam, less lacing.

Corn in the smell, slight hint of some hops.

Big corn flavour, grainy, non sweet malt, light but not pleasant bitterness. Fancy looking bottle but it's what inside that counts and the beer doesn't count for much. An AB-InBev fail. Kicking up the abv and putting it in a brown bottle does not make it an auto better brew.

2.53/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours out a really clear off-yellow to a slight amber with 1/3 finger of white suds.
Smell is slight hops and lemon peel. Some sugars in the nose.
Taste is bland and mellow. Aftertaste of lemon rind and alcohol.
Mouthfeel is just a tad sticky and fairly boring.
Overall this isn't much of a beer. I think it's budweiser in a black Beck's bottle. In fact the bottle says St. Louis , Mo.

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last
Beck's Sapphire from Brauerei Beck & Co.