Beck's Sapphire - Brauerei Beck & Co.

Beck's SapphireBeck's Sapphire

Brauerei Beck & Co. visit their website

German Pilsener |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: peabody on 12-21-2012

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beck's Sapphire Alström Bros
firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last
2.16/5  rDev -22.6%

One problem with this beer is that it isn't a dark beer, but it nevertheless comes in a black bottle and advertises the name "Sapphire," which gives you certain expectations that it then fails to meet. It has a very floral smell, and this comes out in the taste, which just isn't much to write home about. It isn't an unpleasant beer, per se, but there just isn't much to it. It is very easy to drink, but also highly forgettable.

3.67/5  rDev +31.5%

I've never been a big Beck's fan, but this one sparked my curiosity. I picked up a sixer and gave it a go. But I have to admit, my expectations were low.

I poured it down the side of the side of a pilsner glass. It has a yellow-gold look. This beer has almost no head whatsoever, and how ever much it does have dissolves a few seconds after being poured.

The scent is pretty decent, with the German hops taking center stage, but a slight grapefruit tinge can be detected as well.

The taste is fairly hoppy at first, but a tad of sweetness hits the taste buds shortly after it goes down the hatch.

It is pretty smooth actually with an excellent feel. Very drinkable.

I wasn't expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised by what turned out to be a decent brew. I don't think that this beer will be a regular addition to my fridge but it may find it's way there occasionally.

3.6/5  rDev +29%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Another brew in the 6% ABV category, tried again at this dimly lit establishment, as you should check out my review on its nearest competitor, Bud BC.

I'm going to make this really brief and understandable - this beer tastes like Evian water with a slight hint of effervescence, as this brew lacks carbonation big time. Despite this characteristic flaw, I did enjoy the beer with Shrimps cocktail. A worthy one-time try (at least) - it is slightly better than Bud BC. Bon appetit!

3.59/5  rDev +28.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I liked this beer. A friend gave it to me at a card game. I took it a bit hesitantly because of the word "Hops" in its name. I expected too hoppy a flavor. In reality it had very little hops that I noticed. It was smooth and easy drinking.

I liked it much more than regular Becks.

2.38/5  rDev -14.7%

A: Poured from a bottle into standard pint. Clear light golden color. Lots of carbonation, and a medium to light amount of white foam. Little to no lacing.

S: Smells sweet and grassy, nothing particularly inviting here.

T: Taste starts off slightly sweet but ends with a metallic flavor. Not enjoyable to me.

M: Smooth and crisp, nothing to complain about here. Nothing particularly special either.

O: This is supposed to be a higher end beer, and a 10$ for a 6 pack I expected something better from Beck's. To me this brings nothing new to the plate, and if anything is a step backwards. The added "6%" of alcohol took away from the taste of the beer rather than adding to it. Not worth the money.

2.63/5  rDev -5.7%

I've been on this thing where after work I buy a different cheap beer that I haven't tried yet from my local corner store/gas station.
Poured from pint-sized can that does not provide "born on" date, into my frozen mug. My guess is it's about a year old. Not that it really matters. This one was $1.49 in Upstate NY.
Appearance: Golden straw color, plenty of carbonation and lacing that disappears after it's been sitting for a minute.
Smell: This one was rather mild. Pretty much smelled like a cheap, corny straw beer. Just didn't punch you in the face with that smell. I have a terrible sense of smell so you won't get any more details than that.
Taste: First taste is great until you swallow and get the aftertaste. It's the same kind of adjunct taste except it's notably smoother and more refreshing. I found that I could actually keep sipping this one without having too sour of a taste in my mouth. Pretty malty and sweet, just not bitter/hoppy in the least. If anyone could taste any sort of hop in this at all, you're either lying or deserve an award for sophisticated palate.
Feel: A little on the watery side, but the carbonation helps smooth it out. Pretty basic, but it's other qualities help this one quite a bit.
Overall: Overall I liked this one and would drink it again for the price. Definitely not something I would seek out when I have money I can spend on beer (I would MUCH prefer pretty much anything micro). Drinkable and I could go for another, but being realistic, these macro companies need to stop acting like they are something they are not. This beer was brewed in St. Louis, and it is a terrible example of a Pilsner or Lager as it is labeled to be on the can. This is closer to an American Adjunct, though it was brewed to compete with Bud Light Platinum.

2.49/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from my 12 fl oz (355 ml) bottle into a tulip glass.

I like the can, but a can /bottle does not maketh the brew . . .

The nose is airy, light flower almost like freshly laundered linen put out to dry in a green field (like Downy fabric softener). Thick foamy head, nice dark golden hue. It has a thin feel in the mouth a cross somewhere between high-octane spirit like moonshne or Everclear; seltzer, and day-old tea. The taste of hops is there but it's been diluted by the characters above. Make no mistake: It's not a good brew at all, but I don;t think it's as bad as some of the reviewers had made this out to be. But if you want to go good and cheap for your beer: Pass on this one: You can do better. Otherwise, only if you must.

2.9/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

First review!

Not sure what I was expecting. The taste was decent, but not outstanding.

It was heavier than a standard pilsner, but that's a plus. It still went down smoothly.

I would definitely try again and will be more observant for the next round.

1.93/5  rDev -30.8%

Not much to add here. I haven't had a Beck's beer since the early 80's and I remember it was decent. This rendition however tastes like cheap malt liquor. What happened? It has no resemblance of the German style beer I remember. It's sweet, tastes of corn and is certainly not worth what I paid. If I get the squirts then I'll know it's just repackaged, beechwood aged spew!

3.3/5  rDev +18.3%

This is one of the smoothest lagers on the market. No extremely flavors or alcohol content so many will under score this brew. its not imported, thats good news for us beers because this brew is equal to or better than stella. If your looking for an extremely smooth lager this is a fine choice.

1.95/5  rDev -30.1%

This was a disappointment. After all the advertising, I was hoping for something special. But this is a bland beer with nothing special. I think AB is trying to compete with craft beers. But all they did was raise the alcohol level without adding any taste. Also: the brewery is listed above as being in Germany. That's not correct. The bottle says St. Louis MO (the home of AB) but I suspect the beer is brewed somewhere else. Also misleading is all the references to Germany and German hops on the bottle & carton. It's not a German beer. And it's not better than the original Beck's.

1.81/5  rDev -35.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a glass out of the bottle.

Look: Golden, with maybe half a finger of foam, which dissipated quickly.

Smell: Sweet and malty, but also very boozy.

Taste: Boozy and sweet. I tried to detect other flavors, but they were overwhelmed by the booziness.

Feel: The mouth-feel is rather watery.

Overall impression: This doesn't quite live up to what a German Pilsener should be - no head, no zest, etc. Unfortunately, it's marketed as a German beer despite being brewed in St. Louis, Missouri. The nail in the coffin for me was how boozy it tasted. It made the beer seem a little cheap. I think that if it hadn't been as boozy, the other tastes, if they exist, would have been more apparent if the ABV were lower. The Sapphire hops have potential, but it hasn't been utilized properly.

1.03/5  rDev -63.1%

This is Budweiser, made in St Louis, USA. It is Simple-Headed American Corporate beer designed for profit and does not share the tastes or quality of the German Brewery that we all enjoyed in the past.

The Mega Corporation responsible for the drastic decline in our favorite beers, like Beck's, Stella Artois, Hoegaarden, Leffe and Bass Ale~ is InBEV. Responsible beer enthusiasts will avoid these beers, before InBEV gobbles up every private brewery!

Already most bar's selection of beers only include the above list for European beers. Thankfully, I only bought one bottle of this Stuff!

1.74/5  rDev -37.6%

Nice golden beer with the thinnest of head. Even as I began to pour to the center of the glass I couldn't arouse much foam.

Smell was mostly lacking. No hops aroma at all and very little malt aroma. Noticed a slight corn aroma and a hint of alcohol.

The taste was a very slight corn flavor, almost no notice of the higher ABV and virtually no after taste with the exception of the slight alcohol note.

Mouthfeel is dry and very effervescent.

I purchased this beer today with no preconceived notions. I had never seen, read or heard of this before I saw it in the store. I generally don't purchase Becks although I do like German Pils'. I am utterly let down about the beer overall. This beer tastes almost exactly like the Budweiser Platinum without the heavy alcohol hit at the end. It has no hints of hops at all and no malt taste. I read the back of the beer and it plainly states, Brewed in St. Louis MO. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the base grain bill for this beer is almost identical to Budweiser. My guess is InBev is going after the hipster market that won't purchase Bud Platinum. I would suggest this to anyone that likes light American Lagers, otherwise move on.

1.12/5  rDev -59.9%

This beer is a borderline scam, brewed on Madison Avenue more so than Bremen [bitter laugh] or even St. Louis. Ten years ago, they just called this Busch Beer. It's a high alcohol content Budweiser re-branded as Beck's in a distinctive black bottle. German "sapphir" hops aside, this beer is no German pilsner, in any way, smell, taste or form. I'm looking into my empty glass glumly trying to discern evidence of any beer-related sensory stimulus whatsoever.

2.36/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Saw this in the grocery store and thought I'd give it a try. Unlike a lot of the other reviewers I actually like Beck's, especially the Dark. I'm also a big fan of hoppy Bohemian style pilseners and hoped that this one brought that sort of flavor.

This beer uses the newly developed Saphir hops which are being used as a substitute for Hallertauer Mittelfrüh, which have become prone to disease. While Saphir shares many characteristics of Hallertau and is used for aroma, this beer doesn't seem to have very much of it.

A- Poured into a Pilsener glass, the beer displayed a thin golden color with bright, white foamy head that dissipated rapidly and left absolutely no lacing. When the glass was empty it almost appeared cleaner than it was before the pour.

S-Slight sweetness but no indication of hops, this was a big disappointment.

T-Sweet and smooth but none of the enticing bitterness of a good pilsener. The taste fades quickly and becomes cheap, it doesn't endure and is forgettable. Taking another taste gives another quickly forgotten hint of sweetness.

M-Mouthfeel is smooth but like the taste this fades quickly as well. It encourages another swallow to regain the feel and it appears that this beer was created as a sort of malt liquor with high alcohol content for heavy drinkers, rather than those who take time to enjoy the brew itself.

O-I will not buy this product again, it's apparently created for an audience that wants the big kick of alcohol without having to develop a taste for a fine brew. It's disguised as a flavorful, hoppy Bohemian style pilsener but it's all smoke and mirrors. Much better choices are available for the price.

i WISH SOMEONE WANTED TO BUY THE REST OF THIS CASE I BOUGHT BASED ON THE price. like those beatles,i should've known better! i went out and bought a 6 pk of assorted ipa's so i can drink a great beer,then punish myself by choking down this swill! becks-you are ruining your reputation. or did you buy a warehouse full of schmidts or schlitz. ok i see im supposed to describe the actual experience of this shit-imagine mixing alka seltzer with grapefruit juice ok? got it? the end

I love this beer. Smooth. Just the way I like it. LIke the man said while looking at the nude picture, "I may not know art, but I know what I like."

2.22/5  rDev -20.4%

The look is regular, just a yellowish liquid. Not much to say.

The smell is good, usual beer scent and a bit sweet.

The only redeeming feature of the taste is a very brief pretzel flavour. Otherwise it sort of just tastes like glue or something. . .

The feel is awful. I never thought I'd ever describe a beer as slimy, but it applies here.

Overall: awful awful awful. This beer has no purpose in life. It should just be discontinued.

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last
Beck's Sapphire from Brauerei Beck & Co.