Beck's Sapphire - Brauerei Beck & Co.

Beck's SapphireBeck's Sapphire

poor

poor

Brauerei Beck & Co. visit their website
Germany

German Pilsener |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: peabody on 12-21-2012)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beck's Sapphire Alström Bros
TheMrFarnham

06-13-2013 02:00:19 | More by Luiz0930
tugdriver7

Maryland

3.61/5  rDev +32.2%

Not sure why we're still aggregating Beck's under the "Made In Germany" banner because I'm one of those who isn't really happy with the move to the USA; but I must admit I was intrigued by an attempt by A-B to provide a Beck's beverage that was a bit different--if not much different--than the green bottled pilsner. I liked the opaque black bottle (no green bottle skunk), though I was surprised at how light (roughly "gold") in color the beer was once it hit the glass. I got a decent head of white foam that dissipated quickly and left only a hint on top. I agree with many of the descriptions of the flavor here. Initial biscuity malt and a hint of citrus-like hops in the nose. The carbonation was surprisingly light and "spritzy" while the beer itself was light to moderate in density. This made for a strangely mixed yet somewhat refreshing mouthfeel. A tad sweet on the tongue with a mild malty flavor and a hint of that citrusy hops. Flavor profile is one-dimensional and mild. Little bitterness at the end and then nothing. And I mean that in a good way. No off flavors, no skunk--nothing. Clean finish that makes you smack your lips and say, "gee, I could put a few of these down." And I did. Bottom line: Unique packaging and very drinkable. Definitely something I'd keep in my fridge from time-to-time.

01-23-2013 03:12:50 | More by tugdriver7

03-12-2014 00:43:20 | More by Shafaegalo
tyleeis

Wisconsin

4.9/5  rDev +79.5%

I'm very surprised by this!! I think it's more in the Euro Pale Lager catagory but their not a huge difference anyhow and I'm no expert. Very different yet cool black bottle, you can barely see through it. I'm short glasses so ill have to stick to that. Smell is pretty faint, average pilsner, nothing ou of the ordinary. The taste however really caught me off guard. It's very sweet upfront then buttery, slight breadlines, followed by more sweet. It's had a really nice creamy velvet mouthfeel I haven't experienced in a pilsner before, but I really like it, goes down real easy. I don't consider 6%abv high but it's more than average BMC's. Overall I can't wait to try this again and this is definetly something I'd keep in my fridge on a regular basis.

01-06-2013 23:30:17 | More by tyleeis
brewerburgundy

2.79/5  rDev +2.2%

12oz bottle, Ommegang tulip, some probable freshness marking on back label of "12346".

The color goes a shade darker than light gold and there is difficulty raising much of a head, especially considering the style. I see that was noted by at least one of the recent reviewers. Really not much to comment on here other than the lack of head, that which is there is white.

Aroma is elusive and unremarkable; a bit of cracker and then I'm unsure if the citrus is there or not and whether my quick Google of Sapphire hops is leading me to say tangerine. After further evaluation, I do believe there is minimal tangerine peel.

Dry, slightly earthy pale malt with cracker yeast. Twinges of noble hops, a hint of citrus, like a glass of seltzer with a lime wedge, and a dry, exceptionally clean finish.

It has carbonation aplenty, but displays it neither in the head nor on the palate. It is crisp, dry, and refreshing, but without the tingle of some gassy lagers.

Sapphire isn't quite as devoid of flavor as some beers from mainstream producers, but it's still pretty flat for an obvious attempt to siphon from the craft market.

01-23-2013 01:22:12 | More by brewerburgundy
scratch69

Missouri

2.74/5  rDev +0.4%

I poured a bottle into a pilsener glass.

Appearance- Clear golden-yellow color with a fingers worth of head. Light amount of thin lacing.

Smell- Very light aroma of malt sweetness and cereal.

Taste- Subdued flavors of pale malt, sugar sweetness, and some hop bitterness for balance.

Mouthfeel- Light bodied with an average amount of carbonation.

Overall- Pretty average beer, reminds me more of an adjunct lager than a German pilsener. Flavors a re bland and the smell is almost non-existent.

02-23-2013 23:57:14 | More by scratch69

1.5/5  rDev -45.1%

02-20-2013 01:22:56 | More by tjsmith910
thegodfather2701

2.34/5  rDev -14.3%

A-Straw yellow with a two finger fizzy white head, that dissipates immediately. No lacing or cascading.

S-very faint nose consisting of cereals, malts, and alcohol sweetness

T-very malty, a boozy sweetness, and carbonated water. No real hop presence. It tastes like an American macro lager, not a German Pilsener as there is no bitter hop bite as other versions of the style.

M-Thin, yet soft and semi-creamy

D-One could drink a few of them if they desired but I don't think I will ever drink this again.

Overall, regular Beck's is much better than this because it actually has flavor. This beer is seriously lacking the flavor department which is very disappointing. I'm glad I only purchased a single.

01-25-2013 02:39:32 | More by thegodfather2701

Maryland

07-04-2013 22:00:51 | More by csurowiec
CFHMagnet

2.7/5  rDev -1.1%

I pour to a finger of nearly white head. The body is a pale urine color. A decent amount of bubbles is seen making their way to the top. The head dissipates in a minute or so.

Smells of sweet grass and adjunct.

A wheaty/crackery malt sets it up in the beginning. Sweet grass takes over, then dries down to a stale biscuit flavor with a little indistinct bitter at the end.

The mouthfeel is light bodied. It goes down rather quick, which is good, because I have a second mass-pro beer to drink before bedtime.

Overall I feel this is a poor representation of the German pilsener style. It does taste like they want it to be good, but just can't seem to get it there.

11-09-2013 03:27:11 | More by CFHMagnet

mikehillman

06-22-2013 21:47:41 | More by mikehillman
Tyecko

08-11-2014 13:30:45 | More by Tyecko
Beck's Sapphire from Brauerei Beck & Co.