Beck's Sapphire - Brauerei Beck & Co.

Beck's SapphireBeck's Sapphire

poor

poor

Brauerei Beck & Co. visit their website
Germany

German Pilsener |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: peabody on 12-21-2012)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beck's Sapphire Alström Bros
Kunstman

Wisconsin

01-26-2013 04:58:23 | More by Kunstman
scruffwhor

3.03/5  rDev +11%

Beck's Dark is one of my everyday, after work go to beers. Easy to drink, flavorful, crisp, simple. Don't need to think a lot about what I'm drinking. When I saw the Sapphire bottle at my grocery store, I though it was a variation of Beck's dark. I was a little disappointed, but still intrigued to try it out anyway. Even though it's been awhile since I've had regular Beck's.

Color is a clear , somewhat bubbly, golden, light amber color. Very quick head and no residual foam.

The aroma is a note or two of faintly toasted crackers and a grass clipping or two.

Crisp, mellow, and a better defined toasty malt flavor than I expected. Typical grassy hop flavors. A little Earthy. Overall, pretty simple and easy to drink. Worth a try if you like pilsners. I wouldn't mind trying a side by side taste test of Beck's and Sapphire.

01-26-2013 01:28:48 | More by scruffwhor
jifigz

2.21/5  rDev -19%

Bottle poured into a pint glass.

The appearance of this beer is an extremely bubbly golden color (it is a little dark in here so I may be off...but that's the best i can do by holding it to the white light of my computer screen) and the head lingers shortly and then disappears. The aroma is mildly hoppy and grainy sweet, but mostly nonexistent. The flavor is...well....pretty much nothing as well. There is a slight hoppy flavor (and I mean very, very slight) with just mild graininess. The mouth feel is light, watery, nothingness.

This is barely better than an American Macro beer. Actually, it may not be any better. This was a free sample given to me when I bought a case of Nugget Nectar, and for the price that I'm guessing this costs I would much rather buy PBR or LIon's Head or something...or Genesee

01-26-2013 00:22:50 | More by jifigz
Lukass

01-25-2013 16:45:30 | More by Lukass
thegodfather2701

2.34/5  rDev -14.3%

A-Straw yellow with a two finger fizzy white head, that dissipates immediately. No lacing or cascading.

S-very faint nose consisting of cereals, malts, and alcohol sweetness

T-very malty, a boozy sweetness, and carbonated water. No real hop presence. It tastes like an American macro lager, not a German Pilsener as there is no bitter hop bite as other versions of the style.

M-Thin, yet soft and semi-creamy

D-One could drink a few of them if they desired but I don't think I will ever drink this again.

Overall, regular Beck's is much better than this because it actually has flavor. This beer is seriously lacking the flavor department which is very disappointing. I'm glad I only purchased a single.

01-25-2013 02:39:32 | More by thegodfather2701
ale207

Maine

01-25-2013 01:07:19 | More by ale207
drink-when-dry

01-24-2013 23:26:50 | More by drink-when-dry
JoeyBeerBelly

2.83/5  rDev +3.7%

12oz bottle served in a pilsner glass.

L - clear golden color with a white head that thinned out to a light ring.

S - grassy and grainy.

T - pretty much the same as the smell.

F - light/medium bodied with a crispness to it.

O - it is what it is.

01-24-2013 23:20:08 | More by JoeyBeerBelly
JAHMUR

Connecticut

2.5/5  rDev -8.4%

01-24-2013 22:53:12 | More by JAHMUR
atr2605

2.56/5  rDev -6.2%

A-pours a clear straw color with a white head with average retention
S-white sugar, lemon zest, green vegetables
T-some hop bitterness up front followed by malt sweetness, not a ton of distinct flavor
M-light bodied
O-not very flavorful but highly drinkable. Better than your average macro brew, but still not something I would want every day

01-24-2013 02:46:10 | More by atr2605
chinchill

South Carolina

2.56/5  rDev -6.2%

12 oz bottle with undecipherable code rather than a clear date. Thumbs up for the nice extra dark bottle.
Pours a crystal clear golden color with a fragile and thin white head. Large bubbles rising through the beer suggest artificial carbonation. The aroma is a rather light mix of malts and hops that suggest cereal and over-cooked vegetables, The flavor is notably better than, but too much like, a light lager. Very smooth, light body with good (medium) carbonation.

O: Flaws of omission in this fairly well-crafted lager create a smooth, easy drinking beer that's lacking in both flavor and aromatics.

01-23-2013 23:54:13 | More by chinchill
jwc215

Wisconsin

1.88/5  rDev -31.1%

Pours light golden yellow with a thin fizzy white head that quickly becomes a wispy patch.

The smell is of cereal/grain (with some soap?). A touch of peppery alcohol comes through.

The taste is of cereal - mild sweet grain. Saphir hops (which I assume is being used, and re-named "sapphire" for marketing reasons) are sweet and almost tangerine-like. Here, they might add to an already sweet brew, but do little else. Alcohol comes through in a malt liquor way. Some wet cardboard (and a hint of soap?) gives a bland, rather unpleasant finish.

The feel is on the fizzy, almost watery side. It is somewhat slick, and hardly refreshing.

This hardly resembles a traditional pilsner. More towards a malt liquor without the adjuncts. Catchy name, though. By the way, this was brewed in St. Louis, MO. Beck's has some decent brews for a big brewery, but this is not one of them. Not good.

01-23-2013 20:32:23 | More by jwc215
ouits

01-23-2013 14:49:41 | More by ouits
tugdriver7

Maryland

3.61/5  rDev +32.2%

Not sure why we're still aggregating Beck's under the "Made In Germany" banner because I'm one of those who isn't really happy with the move to the USA; but I must admit I was intrigued by an attempt by A-B to provide a Beck's beverage that was a bit different--if not much different--than the green bottled pilsner. I liked the opaque black bottle (no green bottle skunk), though I was surprised at how light (roughly "gold") in color the beer was once it hit the glass. I got a decent head of white foam that dissipated quickly and left only a hint on top. I agree with many of the descriptions of the flavor here. Initial biscuity malt and a hint of citrus-like hops in the nose. The carbonation was surprisingly light and "spritzy" while the beer itself was light to moderate in density. This made for a strangely mixed yet somewhat refreshing mouthfeel. A tad sweet on the tongue with a mild malty flavor and a hint of that citrusy hops. Flavor profile is one-dimensional and mild. Little bitterness at the end and then nothing. And I mean that in a good way. No off flavors, no skunk--nothing. Clean finish that makes you smack your lips and say, "gee, I could put a few of these down." And I did. Bottom line: Unique packaging and very drinkable. Definitely something I'd keep in my fridge from time-to-time.

01-23-2013 03:12:50 | More by tugdriver7
brewerburgundy

2.79/5  rDev +2.2%

12oz bottle, Ommegang tulip, some probable freshness marking on back label of "12346".

The color goes a shade darker than light gold and there is difficulty raising much of a head, especially considering the style. I see that was noted by at least one of the recent reviewers. Really not much to comment on here other than the lack of head, that which is there is white.

Aroma is elusive and unremarkable; a bit of cracker and then I'm unsure if the citrus is there or not and whether my quick Google of Sapphire hops is leading me to say tangerine. After further evaluation, I do believe there is minimal tangerine peel.

Dry, slightly earthy pale malt with cracker yeast. Twinges of noble hops, a hint of citrus, like a glass of seltzer with a lime wedge, and a dry, exceptionally clean finish.

It has carbonation aplenty, but displays it neither in the head nor on the palate. It is crisp, dry, and refreshing, but without the tingle of some gassy lagers.

Sapphire isn't quite as devoid of flavor as some beers from mainstream producers, but it's still pretty flat for an obvious attempt to siphon from the craft market.

01-23-2013 01:22:12 | More by brewerburgundy
bump8628

Oklahoma

01-22-2013 23:39:49 | More by bump8628
HarlequinBuckeye

3.71/5  rDev +35.9%

I've never been a big Beck's fan, but this one sparked my curiosity. I picked up a sixer and gave it a go. But I have to admit, my expectations were low.

I poured it down the side of the side of a pilsner glass. It has a yellow-gold look. This beer has almost no head whatsoever, and how ever much it does have dissolves a few seconds after being poured.

The scent is pretty decent, with the German hops taking center stage, but a slight grapefruit tinge can be detected as well.

The taste is fairly hoppy at first, but a tad of sweetness hits the taste buds shortly after it goes down the hatch.

It is pretty smooth actually with an excellent feel. Very drinkable.

I wasn't expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised by what turned out to be a decent brew. I don't think that this beer will be a regular addition to my fridge but it may find it's way there occasionally.

01-22-2013 11:51:02 | More by HarlequinBuckeye
sanitarium16

01-21-2013 14:19:24 | More by sanitarium16
Weston19

2.94/5  rDev +7.7%

I had one of these over the weekend and was surprised that it was not as bad as the regular Becks.

A: The bottle was nicely done in all black. Once poured into a stein the color is straw yellow with an initial head of about a finger which quickly dissipated into a thin lace.

S: The smell I got was that of hops and slight honey. Nothing out of the ordinary.

T: A very smooth beer that starts off a little bitter but ends with a sweet taste. It tastes nothing like a good German beer but compared to the green bottled Becks that's being brewed in the U.S. it's an improvement.

Overall I would rate this beer as average. It wasn't as bad as I thought but it was nothing memorable. A good beer to have when nothing else is available.

01-21-2013 04:16:07 | More by Weston19
CorproCrazy

1.03/5  rDev -62.3%

This is Budweiser, made in St Louis, USA. It is Simple-Headed American Corporate beer designed for profit and does not share the tastes or quality of the German Brewery that we all enjoyed in the past.

The Mega Corporation responsible for the drastic decline in our favorite beers, like Beck's, Stella Artois, Hoegaarden, Leffe and Bass Ale~ is InBEV. Responsible beer enthusiasts will avoid these beers, before InBEV gobbles up every private brewery!

Already most bar's selection of beers only include the above list for European beers. Thankfully, I only bought one bottle of this Stuff!

01-20-2013 23:53:05 | More by CorproCrazy
Janeinma

01-20-2013 22:54:28 | More by Janeinma
fisherbray

01-20-2013 00:49:11 | More by fisherbray
MusicaleMike

2.86/5  rDev +4.8%

Perfect clarity on this golden hued beer, with a white capped head that recedes quickly from two fingers thick to a thin layer. Doesn't appear to leave any lacing.

They say that this beer is made with Sapphire hops...well I have never smelled sapphire hops, but I guess I am not really a fan. Malts dominate the aroma, with a honeyish sweetness that comes through. The hop aroma, or what I am guessing is the hop aroma is somewhat "earthy" or "herbal."

Taste is malt forward. Bitterness is up front but not aggressive at all. It barely balances the sweet, honey like malt. It lacks any of the traditional noble hop flavor or bitterness. Really disappointing, and certainly resembles an American Adjunct Lager more than a German Pilsner.

Mouthfeel is good. Great level of carbonation and spot on for the style. Body is on the fuller side and works to improve

Eh, I wasn't expecting much and I wasn't let down. Maybe if I thought about this as something other than a German Pils, I would be a bit more forgiving. But as it stands, this is anot a good example of that style. If this was a malt liquor or American Lager, I would say that the score would have improved much more. It doesn't taste bad, but it doesn't hold a candle to any German Pilsners that I have had.

01-19-2013 22:49:09 | More by MusicaleMike
TMoney2591

2.89/5  rDev +5.9%

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

Thanks to some boss-ness at my local, the grandiose ticker in me was graced with a single bottle o' this. Always best to assuage that ticking fool... Anyway, this stuff pours a clear golden-brass topped by a finger of lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises partially-artificial-seeming banana, soft wheat, very light sweet flowers, and a hint of biscuit. The taste focuses on the wheat and flowers, but waters them down to keep their edges from showing and adds a heavy splash of sweetness that helps to drown them out regardless. The body is a hefty light, with a light moderate carbonation and a slick feel. Overall, if there actually are any hops here, they're completely o'erwhelmed. Regardless, this stuff is meek as all hell for a pils or any other kind of German lager: It's far too sweet for its own good, and any character beyond that is ridiculed into obscurity.

01-19-2013 21:15:26 | More by TMoney2591
Kyrojack

Indiana

2.5/5  rDev -8.4%

01-19-2013 17:33:00 | More by Kyrojack
Beck's Sapphire from Brauerei Beck & Co.