Beck's Sapphire - Brauerei Beck & Co.

Beck's SapphireBeck's Sapphire

poor

poor

Brauerei Beck & Co. visit their website
Germany

German Pilsener |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: peabody on 12-21-2012

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beck's Sapphire Alström Bros
2.37/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

16oz can poured in pint glass. Purchased at gas station.

Appearance-color resembles apple juice, with 1 finger white head that disappears in less then 60 seconds. 3

Aroma-corn, stale wheat bread, hint of banana, not much. 2.25

Taste-dried wheat, corn, very earthy, banana is there, but all flavors are bland. 2.25

Feel-water, mid carbonation, smooth-ish, drys a bit with alcohol. 3

Overall-I don't think I will be buying this again, feels and tastes like an American beer not German. Which isn't a bad thing I just don't understand this release other than to make more money out of an inferior product. I like beck's, but this tastes like beck's and Budweiser had a baby and that baby was left out in the sun to long then stumbled into a frat house to become a college beer. 2.25 (785 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +48.9%

Picked this up at a grocery store for a dollar a bottle. Poured into a pint glass and yielded about two fingers of white head. The color was very light and clear. Tasted like a very sweet lager with no aftertaste. I would drink this on a hot summer day after mowing the lawn. Overall, it was a nice light change from stouts and IPA's I usually drink. (350 characters)

Was offered this at a dinner, never had Beck's before so here's a review.

A: Pours a clear, light, golden yellow color with a 1/4 inch white head that dissipates fast with medium amounts of lacing.

S: Smells of wheat, grains, grass, citrus

T: Tastes alright, just another lager, mellow flavor, grains, wheat, hints of citrus, bit of hops, bit on the sweet side.

M: Medium bodied with medium carbonation, mellow flavor, fairly balanced.

O: Over all, just another lager. It's not bad, its quite alright, I could down a handful of these, they're just alright, worth trying if given but not really worth seeking out in my opinion. (634 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -19.2%

Bottle poured into a pint glass.

The appearance of this beer is an extremely bubbly golden color (it is a little dark in here so I may be off...but that's the best i can do by holding it to the white light of my computer screen) and the head lingers shortly and then disappears. The aroma is mildly hoppy and grainy sweet, but mostly nonexistent. The flavor is...well....pretty much nothing as well. There is a slight hoppy flavor (and I mean very, very slight) with just mild graininess. The mouth feel is light, watery, nothingness.

This is barely better than an American Macro beer. Actually, it may not be any better. This was a free sample given to me when I bought a case of Nugget Nectar, and for the price that I'm guessing this costs I would much rather buy PBR or LIon's Head or something...or Genesee (814 characters)

3.06/5  rDev +10.9%

The big brewers must seem to think the reason why so many people are turning to craft beer is because of the higher ABV. Bud Light Platinum, Bud Black Crown and now Beck's Saphire.
I must admit, I really liked Budweiser Black Crown, I thought it was a big improvement over regular Budweiser.
Beck's Saphire, is basically the same thing, but it did not impress me as much.

I like the slick and sophisticated black label on the bottle. The beer itself, just looks like any other lager.

Smell is almost non existant. cc

The taste is not offensive, but not memorable.

The beer is super smooth and extremely easy to drink.

I liked Bud Black Crown just a little bit better.

Overall, it is just an average beer. Kind of reminds of PBR but with more of a jolt. (765 characters)

2.95/5  rDev +6.9%

pick this up with a buddy who urged me to try

A- orange/amber hue very carbonated i like watching all the bubbles race to the top

S-decent presence of hops nothing over powering at all

T-smell and taste tit for tat

M-pretty watery but the hops is noticeable

O- not bad nothing i would get again unless maybe on tap (321 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +26.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Thin white head. Typical yellow appearance. Shows decent carbonation. Very light aroma. Slight hint of corn with even less malt. The flavor is a bit dull for the style, and reminds me of an ice beer. Also, it has a slightly sour finish. It has a decent mouthfeel. Not too watery. Semi-dry finish. Overall, This is an OK beer. Nothing special. If I'm correct in assuming the date on the bottle indicates it has been over a year since this beer was bottled, then this may be one reason I found this beer to be so-so.

12 oz bottle
Code on Bottle: 14059
Served in a Pilsner glass (577 characters)

1.99/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.75

"Product of USA"

InBev no longer imports Beck's. I have a feeling Beck's Sapphire isn't sold in Germany anyways.

Beck's Sapphire website says that this beer is brewed, like all Beck's beers, according to "the German Purity Law of 1516."

A: Light golden color. One finger head after a middle-of-the-road pour. Head is fizzy looking and dies within minutes. Ring of foam remains for the entire glass as does a patchy thin-as-paper head. Slight lacing depends on how fast you drink.

S: Sweet. Peppery. Some lemon.

T: Ugh. Sugary sweetness dominates. This is like Budweiser Black Crown turned down to 7/10ths. There is very little flavor to speak of. You can taste Beck's in there if you try really hard. A mouth puckering bitterness comes on at the middle and lasts after the sweetness dies. I guess that's the Sapphire hops as I sure as hell can't find them anywhere else in this beer.

M: Medium-high fizzy carbonation. Like Budweiser Black Crown this is more substantial than expected. Leaves a stickiness in the mouth.

O: Don't bother. If you like Beck's stick with Beck's. I'd call this Beck's Ice and price it down about 20%. Usually I'd approve of making a stronger version of the original. If this wasn't so stupidly sweet it would be good. (1,253 characters)

3.17/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A different recipe from regular Becks lager that dials down the sharp bitterness to a mellow and rounded flavor that is very pleasant and easy to drink, if slightly underwhelming. Unfortunately "pleasant" soon turns to monotonous, and this beer simply doesn't have enough character to qualify as sessionable. One bottle is enough, and the palate craves something else. (368 characters)

2.47/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured aggressively into a glass. Bready aromas, faint skunk noted in previous entries. Golden color, two-finger creamy, foamy head. No lacing, but ring of foam on top of beer. Light carbonation emanating from the bottom. Malty taste and mouthfeel. A whisper, virtually non-existent, of hop bitterness. Being maltier than regular Beck's, it leaves a coating around the mouth. Almost overwhelmingly sweet. A "fuller," maltier version of Bud. Nothing special. (457 characters)

1.7/5  rDev -38.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

Clear golden yellow, maybe just a shade towards orange. Very pale yellow, fine, medium retention head. Esters on the nose, not much else indicating perhaps that it is past its expiration date. Can't find a bottling date. Some of the same on the palate, unfortunately (meaning this review won't be fair or accurate to the beer when fresh...something I will hopefully be able to make amends for soon). Still drinkable in my opinion (but I'm highly tolerant), just too sugary and fruity (lemons, apple or pear). Just barely hoppy in the finish. Light in body. Seems watery before bubbles clear out, but afterwards a bit syrupy. Low to medium, fine, somewhat prickly carbonation. Not too dry, but a little warming. All in all, more like a malt liquor than a German PIlsner, but again, this is probably due to how old it is. (819 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -1.1%

16oz can picked up at a gas station, poured into a weizen glass.

A: Dark straw with a nice foamy head that dissipated relatively quickly.

S: Smells like your typical American Light Adjunct. Sweet grain and some hop bitterness.

T: Taste actually seems to improve upon warming up a little and pilsner hints start to emerge from what initially appeared to be something Budweiser-esque.

M: Pretty carbonated, this one is, with a thin body.

O: I was glad when I found this as a 16oz single - was interested in giving it a shot but not wanting to invest in the committment that is a six-pack. There was not indication on the can as to what style they were going for and "Sapphire" sounded like a Zima reboot or something. BA listed it as a pilsner, which sounds right and it's not a bad effort considering the source. Not exciting, but I've had worse examples from much fancier outfits. (885 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -8.7%

Clear golden color, with a soapy head that dissipates into a thin ring of foam. Lots of bubbles.

Smells musky--almost stale. I get musky grains, with a bit of sweetness. No hops, no bread; just musky grain.

It tastes awful. (And that's coming from a not-picky drinker, so heed my warning.) It has a bland, grainy flavor with some sweetness, which is all perfectly fine...until the end. The end flavor tastes of the burnt, blackened, crunchy, sour, metallic-tasting residue of the outside of an overcooked piece of meat. There's a small amount of bitterness from the hops. There's some prickly carbonation. No breadiness from the malt is detected.

For eight bucks for a six pack, this is an insult. And I'm not even a picky drinker. (736 characters)

3.08/5  rDev +11.6%

Not too bad with my pizza on Friday night. Lately I have been doing a half and half on a lot of golden yellow beers with different dark beers. I halfed this with a Yuengling B&T and the result was fairly palatable and definitely affordable, $1.00 per bottle from the local grocery for each and for two bucks got the equivalent of an English pint and was fairly happy. Not good out of the bottle but poured it is a much better beer. I would be interested in halfing this with another dark beer, Guiness to start. I think the result would be decent and worth the effort. This is better than B*W* brewed in the same place
(621 characters)

2.89/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Had this Beer from the bottle. Six pack from Kroger's. Reviewing my second beer, put the first in the freezer and to cold to truly review.

Head- Poured into my favorite glass, used a little more force this time, first time i poured normally and barely had a head. With a harder pour I got a head about to fingers, which quickly died back down...

Appearance- Golden copper, with light carbonation.
Smell- Kinda sweet, not real hoppy
Feel smooth with a weird after taste
Overall- expected a better beer, Not a great pilsner by any mean, Doubt I'll but this beer again, Worth the try though (592 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -17.4%

Note: this stuff's made in St. Louis NOT Germany.

A: Pours slightly darker than your typical lager, but only slightly. Head is thin and full of holes without much staying power.

S-Sweet, boozy smell: not too enticing.

T-Sweet but thin. Near-decent at first, but then the aftertaste leaves you wondering if you just cracked a Steel Reserve. Not at all what I expected.

M-Thin and a bit fizzy. As the glass warms up, the mouthfeel quickly changes, becoming flat and very thin making me think..how long ago did I open this thing?

O-Seems like this is Beck's contribution to the craft-beer craze. Lately, I've been trying the other commercial brewery's offerings in the same idea, i.e. Bud's Black Crown & Coors Batch 19; mostly out of curiosity and to see how they stack up. I'd say this is a very poor attempt at tapping into a ripe market.

Constructive criticism: Thicken the head. Darken the color. Pleasurize the aftertaste. Make a more honest label. Keep the ABV. (974 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +26.8%

I'm starting to think people on here (including the site founders) have some sort of weird anti-macro bias/agenda. The only macro that I've seen rated above good so far is Spaten Optimator. I like entering the ratings and reviews on here to keep track of the beers I've had and the ones I like or don't like, but aside from that, I'm starting to question why I'm on here so often as I apparently have nothing in common with anyone else (given my ratings compared to others).

This is a nice easy drinking German Pilsener and I like it quite a bit. (550 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

FIRST! Look at the label. "PRODUCT OF USA". And to make it even worse, "ST LOUIS ,MO". It doesn't take to much to figure this one out.

I am disappointed since my go to beer guy recommended that I try it. One bottle out of the 12pk and I am not pleased. I can buy Old Milwaukee a lot cheaper. Not to say that it tasted like OM, but it didn't taste like Beck's either. Light out of the bottle, lots of ziz on the tongue. Watery in the middle. If Sapphire hops are supposed to taste this way, I guess I'll go along with that. Just a lot of something missing here. The black bottle doesn't really make up for it though. Just which bid at the recycle do you put black empties? (672 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Poured vigorously from the bottle into a 16 oz german glass beer stein. Explosive head that disappeared in what seemed like mere seconds. Does leave some lacing, but honestly judging by the dark bottle, I was hoping it'd be a dark beer.

S - Not really picking up on much, some cereal a little hoppiness, but mostly just standard beer smell.

T - Tastes corny. Maybe like corn flakes, with some sugary sweetness and a little bite from the sapphire hops. Nothing offensive, definitely drinkable, but nothing deep or meaningful. Would never guess this beer was 6% ABV.

M - Very smooth, almost creamy feel. Some bubble and turbulence when drinking, but overall fairly smooth.

O - I've never had Beck's before, but was told it was a decent German macro. Not bad, tastes like beer, would definitely drink it again if I needed a stronger session beer, but that's about it. (872 characters)

bought a sixer and was looking forward to the "german sapphire hops"
served @ 55°
poured into a scotch tasting snifter , fine bubbles almost resembling or is artificially carbonated.

1st thing you notice is the extreme absence of hops

malt nose -sort of

mouth feel- on the edge of wetness

color - straw

the black carp swimming around the bottle in their super bowl ad id's the source, it's from a fish tank. (418 characters)

2.94/5  rDev +6.5%

I had one of these over the weekend and was surprised that it was not as bad as the regular Becks.

A: The bottle was nicely done in all black. Once poured into a stein the color is straw yellow with an initial head of about a finger which quickly dissipated into a thin lace.

S: The smell I got was that of hops and slight honey. Nothing out of the ordinary.

T: A very smooth beer that starts off a little bitter but ends with a sweet taste. It tastes nothing like a good German beer but compared to the green bottled Becks that's being brewed in the U.S. it's an improvement.

Overall I would rate this beer as average. It wasn't as bad as I thought but it was nothing memorable. A good beer to have when nothing else is available. (737 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -9.4%

10 oz bottle poured into Pilsner glass.

Clearn, medium to dark gold with 1 inch white head that disappears quickly with very mild lacing. A lot of tiny bubbles.

Light malt aroma with minimal hop presence.

Taste is smooth, light malt, very mild bitterness an d dry finish. Bit of ethanol.

Light body, high carbonation.

Overall a smooth, dry American-style lager. No faults and lacks the typical Beck's skunk, but not much flavor or aroma going on. (453 characters)

2.88/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Cool black bottle and label. White head with yellow golden color. Very Faint floral hops, perhaps a hint of sugary sweet and clean citrus aroma with a light bodied feel overall. Straight up this does not taste like any Sapphire German beer I've had before. Needs more hops, Not what I was expecting, I'd pass. (309 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -21.7%

One problem with this beer is that it isn't a dark beer, but it nevertheless comes in a black bottle and advertises the name "Sapphire," which gives you certain expectations that it then fails to meet. It has a very floral smell, and this comes out in the taste, which just isn't much to write home about. It isn't an unpleasant beer, per se, but there just isn't much to it. It is very easy to drink, but also highly forgettable. (430 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +30.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Another brew in the 6% ABV category, tried again at this dimly lit establishment, as you should check out my review on its nearest competitor, Bud BC.

I'm going to make this really brief and understandable - this beer tastes like Evian water with a slight hint of effervescence, as this brew lacks carbonation big time. Despite this characteristic flaw, I did enjoy the beer with Shrimps cocktail. A worthy one-time try (at least) - it is slightly better than Bud BC. Bon appetit! (481 characters)

Beck's Sapphire from Brauerei Beck & Co.