Beck's Sapphire - Brauerei Beck & Co.

Beck's SapphireBeck's Sapphire

poor

poor

Brauerei Beck & Co. visit their website
Germany

German Pilsener |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: peabody on 12-21-2012

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beck's Sapphire Alström Bros
2.72/5  rDev -1.4%

Ok got sucked in by the super bowl add, got a can or two from the local gas station.

Pours a golden hue, white head that maintains well for awhile.

Aroma of grass, malts and grain.

Taste of grain, not much can.

Mouthfeel if soft, carbonated with a very low hop.

Overall, an ok brew to sample, they could of done better. (324 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -13%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

16 oz single picked up at the gas station. It was either $1.50 or $1.75.. I poured this shiz into my Sam Adams glass.

It poured lite and clear as only InBev can make it - I wonder if they have a spectrophotometric patent? Overall, my best description of the taste is "a bit of grass & leaf clippings inside a malt liquor/ice beer mess."

Overall, it seems like Beck's amped up the alcohol on an already bland base, and possibly froze the result. The new "Sapphire" hop? If those were the grass & leaf clipping taste, let's hope they lose the seed stock.. (555 characters)

2.83/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Pours a clear golden yellow with a medium white head. Aroma and Taste sweet citrus, grains, mild grass notes with some sweet lemon flavors and mild bitterness on the end. A medium crisp body, moderate carbonation. Has sweet citrus lemon flavors with some grains , grass and mild bitterness finish. Overall a crisp, refreshing and drinkable brew for a hot summer day. Good for what it is. (387 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -19.2%

A- Pours a medium yellow hue. Small one finger head that is there one second and then gone the next. Lacing was nonexistent. Deeper in color than regular Beck's. Constant carbonation bubbles rising.

S- Very faint. Very slight skunky smell of a pils like its predecessor. Slight malt notes are detectable. Very little to none of the hops promised on the beer's label.

T- The closest thing I can relate to this beer is a malt liquor. Not quite as repulsive malt wise as a Colt 45, but definitely reminiscent of a toned down malt liquor. Starts off with a slight metallic flavor and very light grainy flavors. The drink stays one dimensional in this way until pretty much the end where there is a slight bite. Bite is maybe a little from the hops but more on the alcohol bitter side from the raised ABV.

M- Light and watery on the palate with very high carbonation. Slick going down, and alcohol is slightly detectable in the taste.

I don't enjoy German pilseners with the skunky flavor profile like regular Beck's, but this is worse. Just not a good beer, especially when it touts hops on the label and none are to be tasted. (1,127 characters)

2.47/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Poured a straw yellow color, very clear with lots of visible carbonation. Had a fingers worth of head the dissipated very quickly with no lacing.

S: Pretty much smells like beer... Pretty non-descript... little sweet malt and a touch of hops...(Not much).

T: Pretty bland and a little watered down.... light sweet malt and a light touch of hops.

M: Light, pretty watered down, average carbonation, but is easy down with a clean finish.

O: Not really anything different or too impressed from Beck's here. (546 characters)

2.89/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Macro looking yellow color with a thick, foamy white head.

The aroma is kind of metallic and sweet, hints of grain but not much else.

It's taste is similar to it's smell. some grassy notes in the background but it's mostly sweet and a little metallic.

the body is in between light and medium with moderate carbonation and not much on the finish.

I probably won't be drinking this beer again. (395 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -23.9%

Pours a hazy yellow with a very fizzy head that trails the glass. The smell was mostly alcohol with a bit of rice on the back end. The taste wasn't as strong as I was expecting with some rice up front and then a bit of hops on the end but nothing too overwhelming. The feel of it was very thin for the alcohol content. Wasn't very impressed. (341 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I poured a bottle into a pilsener glass.

Appearance- Clear golden-yellow color with a fingers worth of head. Light amount of thin lacing.

Smell- Very light aroma of malt sweetness and cereal.

Taste- Subdued flavors of pale malt, sugar sweetness, and some hop bitterness for balance.

Mouthfeel- Light bodied with an average amount of carbonation.

Overall- Pretty average beer, reminds me more of an adjunct lager than a German pilsener. Flavors a re bland and the smell is almost non-existent. (497 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +76.8%

I'm very surprised by this!! I think it's more in the Euro Pale Lager catagory but their not a huge difference anyhow and I'm no expert. Very different yet cool black bottle, you can barely see through it. I'm short glasses so ill have to stick to that. Smell is pretty faint, average pilsner, nothing ou of the ordinary. The taste however really caught me off guard. It's very sweet upfront then buttery, slight breadlines, followed by more sweet. It's had a really nice creamy velvet mouthfeel I haven't experienced in a pilsner before, but I really like it, goes down real easy. I don't consider 6%abv high but it's more than average BMC's. Overall I can't wait to try this again and this is definetly something I'd keep in my fridge on a regular basis. (756 characters)

1.73/5  rDev -37.3%

Hmm. I had to try this one when it came out. It pours a light amber/ golden with a white head that dissapears as fast as you can pour. what little foam remains leaves some slight lacing. It smells like watered down beer, some malt and what I assume are the "Sapphire hops". The taste is soapy to the point that I dumped my first beer out and rinsed the glass, only to find out that it was the beer. It has a light mouthfeel with some moderate, prickly carbonation. Overall, Pretty gross. (487 characters)

2.57/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A-pours a clear straw color with a white head with average retention
S-white sugar, lemon zest, green vegetables
T-some hop bitterness up front followed by malt sweetness, not a ton of distinct flavor
M-light bodied
O-not very flavorful but highly drinkable. Better than your average macro brew, but still not something I would want every day (342 characters)

look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Serving: From the bottle
Served: Thanksgiving at the relative's house

Look: I had this one from the bottle, so I can't comment much on the look of the beer itself. The bottle, however, is brown (nice!) with a sleek black label. Kudos for switching to brown bottles for this beer, Anheuser-Busch!

Smell: Faint grainy earthiness, skunk, and slight spicy notes.

Taste: Are there hops in this? The taste is just about what you'd expect- primarily "beery" with strange earthy astringencies. There is just a barely perceptible hop bitterness if you really think about it, and just a barely perceptible spicy twang to the beer. But as I said- barely perceptible. Better than the regular Becks because of the bottle, which cuts down on the skunkiness.

Mouthfeel: Light body with high carbonation. Quaffable.

Overall: Another poor offering from a poor brewer. I had this one to get the tick and the bottle cap, but moved quickly to Spotted Cow at my family's Thanksgiving party. Don't waste your time with this beer. (1,012 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +26.8%

Beck's Sapphire (2014) - 6% ABV. Pours with a thick head that dissipates to decent lacing. Red amber hue. Decent carbonation. Light mouthfeel. Wet. Very malty and sweet on the front palate. More of an Oktoberfest or Markzen style beer. Lots of barley, bread, and wheat. Smooth syrup sugar-- caramel. Mid-palate there is just a quick hint of hops. A slight alcohol bite. Rolls back to malt, syrup, and wheat. Slight alcohol and maple syrup after taste. Very light taste. Drinkable. Hiding in its ABV. Extremely smooth. I think the problem is that you expect more from the Sapphire hops as you should-- it's a good German beer, but if you're looking for bite you will be disappointed. It is a good beer-- but it isn't hoppy. It's malt and creamy. Had they labeled it Marzen it would be more well received, but it is what it is as they say. 3.5. Good. (848 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +30.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not sure why we're still aggregating Beck's under the "Made In Germany" banner because I'm one of those who isn't really happy with the move to the USA; but I must admit I was intrigued by an attempt by A-B to provide a Beck's beverage that was a bit different--if not much different--than the green bottled pilsner. I liked the opaque black bottle (no green bottle skunk), though I was surprised at how light (roughly "gold") in color the beer was once it hit the glass. I got a decent head of white foam that dissipated quickly and left only a hint on top. I agree with many of the descriptions of the flavor here. Initial biscuity malt and a hint of citrus-like hops in the nose. The carbonation was surprisingly light and "spritzy" while the beer itself was light to moderate in density. This made for a strangely mixed yet somewhat refreshing mouthfeel. A tad sweet on the tongue with a mild malty flavor and a hint of that citrusy hops. Flavor profile is one-dimensional and mild. Little bitterness at the end and then nothing. And I mean that in a good way. No off flavors, no skunk--nothing. Clean finish that makes you smack your lips and say, "gee, I could put a few of these down." And I did. Bottom line: Unique packaging and very drinkable. Definitely something I'd keep in my fridge from time-to-time. (1,315 characters)

1.87/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

Tonights palate washer.

Not much to say. Guys, this stuff is brewed in St.Louis, not Germany. Just because it says German beer doesn't make it good.

Becks version of BL Platinum and a skunky one at that.

Hipster area only. (225 characters)

2.79/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

12oz bottle, Ommegang tulip, some probable freshness marking on back label of "12346".

The color goes a shade darker than light gold and there is difficulty raising much of a head, especially considering the style. I see that was noted by at least one of the recent reviewers. Really not much to comment on here other than the lack of head, that which is there is white.

Aroma is elusive and unremarkable; a bit of cracker and then I'm unsure if the citrus is there or not and whether my quick Google of Sapphire hops is leading me to say tangerine. After further evaluation, I do believe there is minimal tangerine peel.

Dry, slightly earthy pale malt with cracker yeast. Twinges of noble hops, a hint of citrus, like a glass of seltzer with a lime wedge, and a dry, exceptionally clean finish.

It has carbonation aplenty, but displays it neither in the head nor on the palate. It is crisp, dry, and refreshing, but without the tingle of some gassy lagers.

Sapphire isn't quite as devoid of flavor as some beers from mainstream producers, but it's still pretty flat for an obvious attempt to siphon from the craft market. (1,132 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -15.6%

A-Straw yellow with a two finger fizzy white head, that dissipates immediately. No lacing or cascading.

S-very faint nose consisting of cereals, malts, and alcohol sweetness

T-very malty, a boozy sweetness, and carbonated water. No real hop presence. It tastes like an American macro lager, not a German Pilsener as there is no bitter hop bite as other versions of the style.

M-Thin, yet soft and semi-creamy

D-One could drink a few of them if they desired but I don't think I will ever drink this again.

Overall, regular Beck's is much better than this because it actually has flavor. This beer is seriously lacking the flavor department which is very disappointing. I'm glad I only purchased a single. (709 characters)

2.88/5  rDev +4.3%

Drank from can.

Smelled slightly metallic with corn and malt and herbal earth.

Taste is corn, metallic notes, malt and bitter herb in The finish. This is not a bad beer, it is alright. It is, however, a very poor example of a Pilsner. (236 characters)

look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

I pour to a finger of nearly white head. The body is a pale urine color. A decent amount of bubbles is seen making their way to the top. The head dissipates in a minute or so.

Smells of sweet grass and adjunct.

A wheaty/crackery malt sets it up in the beginning. Sweet grass takes over, then dries down to a stale biscuit flavor with a little indistinct bitter at the end.

The mouthfeel is light bodied. It goes down rather quick, which is good, because I have a second mass-pro beer to drink before bedtime.

Overall I feel this is a poor representation of the German pilsener style. It does taste like they want it to be good, but just can't seem to get it there. (668 characters)

2.27/5  rDev -17.8%

One of the more disappointing beers I've sampled. Been a huge fan of Beck's for a while now, so when I saw a new variety, I was extremely excited to try it. Sapphire hops? Ok, whatever. Never heard of them but I thought I'd try it.

Upon cracking the bottle open, it smelled dank and sour, much like a mass produced cheap adjunct lager. And the taste was just as bad. Very bitter in a bad way, yet very watery. Very dry afterwards. To be honest, it tasted a lot like Bud Light Platinum to me. This beer had no positives, other than being slightly better than most cheap light beers. Won't drink again. (602 characters)

2.29/5  rDev -17%

Bottle poured into a Sam Adams glass

Deep rich golden yellow , two finger foam cap settles into a fine layer with lacings on the side of the glass.

Grassy, straw , winey aroma.

Carbonated fizz settles down to a beery type taste. Light to medium light mouthfeel. Taste of alcohol is strong on the tongue. No bitter aftertaste

A "friend" recommended this beer to me. The appearance was great, the taste was a let down. a step above an adjunct beer for me. He either doesn't know the type of beers I like or I need to find a new friend. (539 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

This is a re-review as my opinion has changed the more I have tried this beer (not for the better)
Poured from 16 oz can into pint glass
Appearance: 1" off white head recedes quickly with mild lacing. Color is a clear light amber. Plenty of carbonation evident, but carbonation disappears and becomes flat within a few minutes
Aroma: fairly mild. Caramel sweetness, lightly toasted malt, mild hops.
Mouthfeel: light and watery. Finish is dry.
Flavor: there is a strange flavor in this beer that I cannot put my finger own, but it is some sort of cloying sweetness. The hops do not seem to combine well with this sweet/syrupy flavor at all.
Overall: I liked this beer pretty well the first time I have tried it. I have since had it 3-4 more times and it tastes worse to me each time. (785 characters)

2.83/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I am always interested in new hop varieties and when I saw this beer advertising the hop called "sapphire," I was intrigued. When I took that together with Beck's as the brewer, I thought it was a slam dunk. It was only after I purchased a six pack that I noticed it was brewed in St. Lewis, MO... . :(

-Appearance 3.0: Poured out a completely clear, light golden color with little head. Lots of CO2 bubbles all over the place. Not great looking, not bad looking.

-Smell 3.0: Average. Light hops with some sweet barley hints.

-Taste 2.50: Pass the butter! Adjunct corn in the front which transitions into a smooth and somewhat surprisingly balanced middle. Finish is slightly sweet with hints of hominy corn, barley and...white grapes. Yep. I taste white grapes in there. Aftertaste is more corn and some light barley hints. ABSOLUTELY NO HINT OF "SAPPHIRE" HOPS UNLESS THEY TASTE LIKE WHITE GRAPES!

-Mouthfeel 2.50: Slightly creamy, somewhat watery. Off for the style.

-Overall 2.50: I have really, really tried to be fair with this beer and not let my anger regarding being fooled into buying this monstrosity seep in. Seriously, are there real "sapphire" hops? I looked them up on the interwebs and it turns out that they do exist, but are usually spelled "Saphir," since they are German hops that are used in place of Hallertau. Two points to bring up for Beck's: 1.) "Saphir" is one heck of a cooler spelling than "Sapphire." 2.) If you are a German brewery brewing a beer using a new German hop, maybe you should brew it in...I dunno...GERMANY! This beer is not swill, but is not great and certainly is not worth the almost $10 you will pay for a sixer of this brew. (1,678 characters)

3.23/5  rDev +17%

A: Golden, pale, a surprisingly fluffy head and minor lacing. Large bubbles streaming from bottom of weizen glass.

S: Corn, lemon, wet grains. Fresh bread-y. Pleasant.

T: Sweet malts dominate, sweet corn, simple syrup, lemon, saltine crackers. Not much hop bitterness which is kind of expected. Grassy towards the end.

M: Medium carbonation, kind of middle of the road... easy drinking.

O: A barely decent German Pilsener. Theres loads of better ones out there. (467 characters)

2.89/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3

Perfect clarity on this golden hued beer, with a white capped head that recedes quickly from two fingers thick to a thin layer. Doesn't appear to leave any lacing.

They say that this beer is made with Sapphire hops...well I have never smelled sapphire hops, but I guess I am not really a fan. Malts dominate the aroma, with a honeyish sweetness that comes through. The hop aroma, or what I am guessing is the hop aroma is somewhat "earthy" or "herbal."

Taste is malt forward. Bitterness is up front but not aggressive at all. It barely balances the sweet, honey like malt. It lacks any of the traditional noble hop flavor or bitterness. Really disappointing, and certainly resembles an American Adjunct Lager more than a German Pilsner.

Mouthfeel is good. Great level of carbonation and spot on for the style. Body is on the fuller side and works to improve

Eh, I wasn't expecting much and I wasn't let down. Maybe if I thought about this as something other than a German Pils, I would be a bit more forgiving. But as it stands, this is anot a good example of that style. If this was a malt liquor or American Lager, I would say that the score would have improved much more. It doesn't taste bad, but it doesn't hold a candle to any German Pilsners that I have had. (1,271 characters)

Beck's Sapphire from Brauerei Beck & Co.