Hamm's Golden Draft - Hamm's Brewing Co.

Hamm's Golden DraftHamm's Golden Draft

Hamm's Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: Reidrover on 08-01-2003)
View: Beers (3) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by Mistofminn:
Mistofminn

2.9/5  rDev -1.4%

Had this one with my old man and some buddies this weekend on our fishing trip. My dad used to drink Hamm's in college, and hadn't seen the stuff since. He had no idea there was Hamm's Golden Draft or Hamm's Light, so he had to give them a try. Naturally, all we had was cases of the stuff.

Of the near case of this I consumed over the course of the 4 day weekend, I only had one in a glass, the first. The rest were consumed straight out of the can.

Pours and typical american macro lager. Golden, fizzy, no head or lacing. Nothing special.

The nose is also typical of an american macro, watery and adjuncts. This one I think is grains? I can never tell. To be fair, it's better than most.

The taste actually isn't that bad. I was surprised. I would compare this one in taste to Schlitz. Honestly, I'm not sure I could tell the two apart in a blind taste testing. I would grab this one over a BMC anyday.

Considering the weather this weekend (hot, sunny and humid), there were times over the course of the weekend where I genuinely enjoyed this and wouldn't have had another beer over it. Granted, those moments were few and fleeting, but still.

This brew has it's time and place, and they are when fishing on a hot and humid 90 degree day with buddies and your old man. If thats the case, then I'll take one of these every time.

05-26-2009 01:23:53 | More by Mistofminn

Profane

Wisconsin

12-21-2011 12:04:11 | More by Profane
woodychandler

Today is Chaz Day! All hail the mighty Midwestern Chaz, wherever you may be! He and I have been CANsistant beer traders and common aficionados of movies, art, pop culture and literature for some time on this site, but today is being dedicated to his proliferation of CANned beers in support of The CANQuest (TM). Virtually every beer that I have reviewed today was courtesy of Chaz and here comes one more!

Another anecdote: My first liberty port in the Navy was Barcelona, Spain and right after I achieved my first overseas nut, we headed into "The Gut", which is now off-limits and even perhaps dried up. I took us down a blind alley to a punk rock joint with metal shutters that featured a mural of Sid Vicious. We walked in to see a couple coupling on a table and the music was deafening. I asked the handsome, swarthy bartender in his immaculate white apron, unsullied as blood sprayed and spit flew, for a beer. He smiled with some of the pearliest whitey whites, reached into the cooler and produced a big-ass bottle with a cork finish and a cage over it. Champagne?!? No, no, senor, beer! I pleaded. Biere, birra, bierra, I spoke in all of the languages that I had studied in anticipation of my first overseas deployment, the reason for my enlistment. He smiled again and with a flourish that I will never forget, popped it and began pouring this so-called beer into goblets. We took a sip and all of us were blown away! It was aged Chimay Red (try finding any aged these days) and it set me on a course that I have followed since. Upon our return to New London, CT, on our first Liberty Call after that, we stopped in at the Full Moon Cafe and asked for Chimay. No sale. No sale for one beer after the other. Finally, our exasperated waitress offered, "Boys, I ain't heard a none a that beers, but yer in luck!" We perked up at this last. "Tonight's Monday night, so we got football on and $.50-cent Hamm's on draft in a frosted mug!" Our collective heads went down faster than a sub chasing a Russkie. I began to look for a deployable ship the next morning ...

From the CAN: "Cold filtered draft beer, brewed from the purest water, choicest barley malt, grain and hops."

Whee hoo! Based on the above, either they forgot to include yeast in the equation or it is a beer that predates Louis Pasteur. I got a nice, loud Crack! which is a good sign. The Glug evinced two foamy fingers of bone-white head with limited retention. "Golden"? Pheh! More like pale yellow and a Greg Koch Special - a fizzy yellow beer. At least I was able to read the Sunday comics unimpeded, which is the test for NE-quality clarity. Draft what? Draft corn! Oh, come on. Mouthfeel was medium and as to taste, all I had to do was close my eyes and I could have been drinking ANY AAL, ever! Finish was so boring that i began to nod off. It was average. As average as putting Lil Woody into any of the well-endowed blondes over the years. Like eating processed AmeriCAN cheese. Gimme some strange!

10-16-2011 14:49:09 | More by woodychandler
tone77

3.13/5  rDev +6.5%

Thanks to cpolking for sending this beer and some others after our initial trade. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a light golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, some grains. Taste is crisp, grains, a touch of hops is present. Feels light in the mouth and overall is a drinkable and decent beer.

09-12-2011 14:57:42 | More by tone77
MasterSki

3.1/5  rDev +5.4%

Thanks Matt for this gem. Served in my Pisgah pint glass. Best before January 31st, 2011.

A - The finger of eggshell foam sizzles to a thin cap in the time it took me to write the intro to this review. No lacing is left behind at all, and the cap eventually dissipates to some film and a thin ring of bubbles. Transparent golden straw body, with tons of visible carbonation.

S - Grains, corn, some nebulous grass and floral notes. Smells like a typical adjunct lager.

T - Taste is again grain-heavy, and finishes yeasty. There's some faint fruity sweetness in the periphery.

M - A little too carbonated for my liking - sharp and harsh bite and burn to the lips and upper palate. Otherwise pretty standard medium-light body, with a clean and slightly dry finish.

D - It's a pretty generic adjunct lager. Far from the worst I've had, but not something I'd really be interested in revisiting. If this were offered at Wrigley it'd probably be my top choice.

01-03-2011 23:27:16 | More by MasterSki
emerge077

3.23/5  rDev +9.9%

A seldom seen oddity, found in the discount bin of an out of the way store.
Drinking in tribute to the late proprietor of my local neighborhood "Hamm's Bar" Johnnie's Lounge.

Served cold in a footed Hamms goblet.

Clear gold, rapid champagne carbonation. A vigorous pour nets a finger of foam that rises in a convex dome above the rim, though it fades after a couple minutes. It's pretty for a minute, almost B-grade banquet beer material. A feeble skim floats on the surface. Club soda bubbles cling to the inside of the glass.

Lightly sweet apple nose, husky cereal grain. Nothing awful, just plain and average. Fleeting flavor of apple juice and crackery traces of malt, not overly fizzy, sort of watery and a little dry in the aftertaste. Not much to it, but it's not unpleasant. Tastes like summer barbecues and picnics.

Most likely it's just Hamms in a different can.

12-01-2010 02:34:07 | More by emerge077
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

3.4/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Hamm's Genuine Draft is very similar to Miller Genuine Draft in appearance, taste, smell, body, and even can design. It has been a Miller product since 1999, by the way. H.G.D. has a thick, white head, and a very clear, golden appearance. Carbonation is high. Aroma is almost nonexistent. The taste is good with mostly a grain presentation, but a hop spice can be faintly detected. A semi-sweetness is noticeable underneath. Mouth-feel is light and watery, and H.G.D. finishes crisp and refreshing. Overall, this is an enjoyable and credible price-conscious substitute for M.G.D., and I would certainly buy it again and recommend others give it a try. It is not sold in Louisiana; I bought it on a road trip in Chicago in July, 2010.

RJT

07-26-2010 01:03:38 | More by RonaldTheriot
rawhydes1

1.5/5  rDev -49%

When MGD was a trendy beer, Hamm's presented their beer to resemble MGD. The case even sported a "HGD" logo in several places.

This beer smelled of smoke. Not "smoked" beer, but SMOKE beer. Tasted as if I was licking the flue of my fireplace.

Not just yellow adjunct piss water, but SMOKED yellow, adjunct piss water.

Disclaimer: I am rating this beer based on the STYLE- American Adjunct Lager, not just general displeasure with "macro" beers. It is a bad A.A.L.

01-17-2010 19:53:39 | More by rawhydes1
Spikester

Oregon

3.28/5  rDev +11.6%

Typical macro lager although the color was a bit deeper gold than many. Not much aroma but nothing bad either. Taste starts out sweet malts but midway a hop taste becomes assertive. Slightly astringent and nice dry finish. After taste is bitter dry apple. Not bad for a swilling brew. About 50 cents per 12 ounce can. Fire up the mower guys!

01-22-2009 06:56:02 | More by Spikester
happygnome

3.25/5  rDev +10.5%

a: pours a golden color with about a half inch of head that dissapears quickly leaving no lace at all
s: grainy, bready aroma
t: typical macro lager, heavy on the corn malts
m: light bodied beer with a lot of carbonatoin

overall, this isnt a bad beer for the style

08-06-2008 16:09:17 | More by happygnome
feloniousmonk

3.05/5  rDev +3.7%

I didn't know this beer existed before tonight, and here I am, drinking one....ain't I lucky?

Transparent, pale yellow, with voluminous, snowy head. Just the ticket for the style.

Aroma is fresh and reflective of nothing at all. Faint vegetal notes, a whiff of grain.

Taste: nearly none, but neither does it offend. Bigger grain feel in the mouth, largely wet and vapid. Light finish. Very watery, but with just enough grit at the front to remind you that it's beer. Light hops, merest malt...not a bad macro in the least.

Cheap and watery. You get what you pay for...want alcohol, fast and easy? Here's your guy.

09-09-2007 07:01:31 | More by feloniousmonk
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

3.35/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I try to come up with a theme for all of my Macro Smackdowns, or at least to compare two similar beers. The two that I chose today don't have much in common, but they're the only two 'macro' lagers that I have at the moment. At least the ABVs are close (Hamm's Golden Draft is 4.7%, Sol is 4.5%), so it should be a fair fight.

Sparkling daffodil yellow topped by a two finger cap that is closer to bright white than to dingy white. The head is soft and almost featureless. I've seen worse, but I've also seen much better.

Hamm's Golden Draft turns the tables when it comes to the aroma. Sure, it's corny sweet with a mild musky hoppiness. At least there's no offensiveness to be had. I have a feeling that the flavor profile can be described using those same exact words.

Pretty much. This is a classic, 'flyover country' macro lager. It's relatively full-flavored and is bursting with corn and barley. Hops... not so much. I expected something sweeter for some reason. Actually the beer has a good sweet-bitter balance, favoring the latter on the surprisingly long finish.

The mouthfeel is more full than just about any AML in recent memory. It has a pleasing expansiveness and a 'just right' carbonation that puts it well ahead of the style pack.

Other than head and lace, Hamm's Golden Draft kicks the snot out of its south of the border competitor. It's one of the better macro lagers that I've had and might even be better than Hamm's. One of these days I'll have to do a bracketed comparison tasting with the highest scoring beers from the Macro Smackdown series. This one will be a contender, that's for sure.

07-02-2007 12:34:18 | More by BuckeyeNation
brownbottlehall

3.25/5  rDev +10.5%

The first thought that came to mind was...Miller Genuine Draft with a Hamm's Label. However, this beer does have its own unique taste. Not quite as sweet as MGD, Golden Draft has a malty flavor balenced well with a low key hoppy undertone. I found it much more drinkable than the original Hamm's, and at a price of around 50 cents a can, you can't go wrong. Am I the only one who buys Hamm's slighty out of pity, thinking my purchase could ensure that Miller doesn't discontinue this brand?

06-10-2005 22:29:51 | More by brownbottlehall
Reidrover

Oregon

2.93/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Bought in the 12 oz can...Nice simple black,red and gold design.
Not a bad looking macro lager, clear,bright golden yellow with a nice sized frothy white head..that doesnt last too long.Some carbonation visible.
Nice "clean" aroma..mostly of malts but some hop detetcted.
Taste is actually not too bad for a macro..malty sweetness up front followed by a sort of bitter astringency ( though its not unpleasant)..that may be the hops.
Sort of watery in the mouth..has a dry finish.
I was pleasantly surprised by this cheap beer..hell it is not what I would call a good beer..but its a perfectly acceptable American macro.

08-01-2003 12:33:26 | More by Reidrover
Hamm's Golden Draft from Hamm's Brewing Co.