Hamm's Special Light - Hamm's Brewing Co.

Hamm's Special LightHamm's Special Light

poor

Hamm's Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Light Lager |  4.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-20-2004

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
2.08/5  rDev -19.1%

Hamm's is already such a sweet, light beer that this one almost isn't even worth existing (kind of like Tecate Light, Busch Light, etc). Not horribly bad, but very bland and unsatisfying. Yet, can't lie, I froke out when I saw a thirty pack vacationing in Pennsylvania. (269 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -1.2%

From the 12 fl. oz can marked Sep 14-15 on the bottom. Sampled on July 2, 2015.

Yellow, highly carbonated pour with a big white fizzy head. Looks like an adjunct should.

The aroma is toast, corn grits, vegetable oil, and grassy hops.

Watery body.

Sweet. Biscuit. Clean finish. Like most adjunct light beers. I could pound down 4 or 5 of these in a short period of time. Nothing structural to it but hey - $14 for a 30 pack? Well now, what will I do with the other 29? (477 characters)

2.91/5  rDev +13.2%

This beer isn't bad, and can be had for $12/30 pack. I'm gonna give it a good thorough run-through, though.

Appearance : fluffy, foamy, almost river-foam head. Stark white. Body is very pale, like water with a slight golden tint. The head sticks around for a bit.

Aroma : From strongest to weakest - urine, hay, cooked rice, corn.

Flavor/mouthfeel : crisp and clean with a light malt flavor. The malts are primarily barley and rice with a nip of cooked corn. The finish is dry with a slight hopped character. It's very easy drinking, and finishes clean.

Overall : To compare this with any type of craft or beer of stature is silly. What this is, is a crisp, clean, light lager with minimal calories and can be bought with a jar of quarters. This is what I reach for when I'm not thinking about beer, I just want one. I will buy this again. Compared to High Life Light, this has less flavor but is less offending and cleaner overall. (937 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +68.9%

L: "looks like a cleaning product"
s: "completely odorless"
t: has fruity undertones. surprisingly complex for the price point. adding an orange greatly increase the drinkability
f: feels like I can jump through a ceiling
overall: compared to the competition, it is surprisingly complex. it's not quite an explosion of flavor but it does provide for an interesting drinking experience (384 characters)

3.19/5  rDev +24.1%

Hamm's Special Light is a bit generous with the name "special", but for a light beer it more than gets the job done. I'd pick this over the BMC* lights any day, especially if you're looking for value in quantity as you can grab a 30 of this for as low as $13 and change.

Does it stand up to complex and flavorful craft beers? Of course not, and it's not supposed to. But to be a crisp, refreshing and easy to drink light lager with no offensive character, it's a win.

*I'm fully aware that MillerCoors has owned this since 1999. (533 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -41.6%
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

A: Is this water? Pours the color of piss after you have drank a 24 pack of miller light. Straight clear. Watery. Off White.

S: Hate. Lack of love of the mother as a child. Watery piss.

T: Do I kill myself now or later? LATER! I actually think I am hydrating at this point. If you mixed Schwepps Tonic Water and a nice Sutter Home white wine together... you would get this beer.

M: I don't know I have drunk anything at all. The taste of water and wine that is so far from the blood of Christ that I am actually wondering if I should make the sign of the cross or if I should instead just turn myself into prison as Judas to my own body.

However... It doesn't last on the tongue long thank god.

O: Is this beer? I'm still asking myself this question.

NOTE: This is the lowest rating In have ever given. (812 characters)

1.99/5  rDev -22.6%

A - airy white quickly evaporating head. Not much continue carbonation. Color of sparkling white wine minus the sparkle.

S - hay, aluminum, and self loathing.

T - like the thrice boiled dregs of spent mash. This is to beer what warm soda with melted ice is to Pepsi

M - thin watery

D - overall what I would expect and have had from third rate third world breweries. But this gives Milwakee shame on the level of "Milwakee's Best" (436 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +51%

THis is a good light beer for the money. I can get Hamms and Hamms Special light as low as $11 a 30 and $5 a 12. For that money you can't expect much and you will be impressed with this beer for the low asking price. I enjoyed this one for a light beer.

Note: I review for the style. I refuse to let my prejudices slant any review. Nothing worse than the typical beer snob reviewing an AAL, same for your AAL drinker reviewing a craft brew. (441 characters)

2.13/5  rDev -17.1%

12 oz can poured into a glass mug.

Note to self: Remember when reviewing this is a light lager – review accordingly
Hamm’s Special Light poured a crystal clear very pale yellow producing a bubbly and foamy bright white 2-finger head that had almost no retention and lacing. The nose is very light and clean with faint aromas of cereal adjuncts like corn. The taste is very low in malt flavor, and no signs of bitterness …like most light lagers. The carbonation is fizzy with a very light and dry mouth feel [again] typical for the style.

At $9.99 a CASE you can’t expect too much. I suppose it is true you get what you pay for. (639 characters)

2.58/5  rDev +0.4%

A- Pours the usual clear, straw yellow color. Clarity is superb, color is slightly lighter than most light lagers. Head actually retains very well, but poor lacing.

S- Very faint, and mostly corn. Light and a little refreshing odor, but mostly corn adjunct with slight grassy notes.

T- Very light flavors. Grainy, with hints of a Euro lager skunkiness too. Nothing entirely offensive, but nothing to write home about, even for the category.

M- Thin as water, but infinitely more carbonated. Great weight for a 100 degree day.

Overall, it's a light lager that is really cheap. That being said, when it is $10.99 a 30, this is about as solid as it gets. (655 characters)

2.6/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Hamm's Special Light
12 oz. can, AUG 1312 (not sure how old it is, but as this is July 9th we're getting real close to the "best by" date)

As expected, the bright white head dropped almost immediately to a standard collar; and only minor spots and splashes of lace were left behind. The body was a light straw-gold when held to the light, and crystal clear.

The aroma was of the generic "beer" type. There's clearly malt to it (and adjunct), and there's clearly hops in it, but nothing really stands out and the two components basically act as one. It's a fairly mild aroma, but it's also quite clean (no sulphur or esters) which is

The flavor was also very generic, and it's fairly mild (which I guess is at least part of what you're looking for in a light beer), yet it's superbly balanced between its hops and its malt - and dare I say it, it's got a little more hop character to it than several of the big name brands. Also, just as in the aroma, it's very clean.

Overall, it's a clean, surprisingly well-hopped light lager that's refreshing. A good, inexpensive mainstream light beer. (1,095 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +57.6%

We'd all drink the good stuff if we could, or make it ourselves. Each to their own taste. Having tasted the cheap end of the beer line, I can tell you this- no ganky aftertaste with this stuff.

Hamm's Light has a beer taste, but it's light- not like some "light" beers are. If you like a light beer, inexpensive, buy some beer for the party, or just want to stock the fridge, I think you might be surprised. I was. This stuff goes down easy, and if that isn't the mark of a good beer, I don't know what is. But thanks to all you guys who have put it to the fancy testing. Tastes good, $12 a 30 pack, where you can find it.... Works for me.

Didn't much care for the regular Hamms I tasted, but for my "nipple" beer, Hamm's Light is a blessing. And it comes from Milwaukee! :) (778 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +54.9%

Poured from the can into a pint glass. Almost no color here. This takes the cake for the palest yellow beer I've ever had.

Smell is barely here as well, which for this type of brew is a good thing.

Taste is extremely light, crisp, and refreshing. I could see taking this along on a lengthy bike ride to quench my thirst. Who need H2O when you have this.

Mouthfeel goes hand in hand with the taste. This could be easily shot-gunned (and I'm sure it is at a few college campuses).

Overall, I like Hamm's Special Light. It doesn't try to be anything it isn't. Plus at 4.1% abv, it's an excellent example of a light beer. (621 characters)

3.05/5  rDev +18.7%

Pale piss-yellow, but with a solid head of white foam. Big, loopy lace, even.

Nose is barley and rice adjuncts. I also get an odd aroma of cream corn somehow.

Taste is mild, faint, and corny. But as awful as that sounds, this one is quite smooth and inoffensive. As with the regular Hamm's, this one drinks much better than the more mainstream macro counterparts. Not bad. (374 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +28.4%

I must admit, this is biased!

This beer is average in every aspect but one. Nostalgia!

I last had Hamm's with my grandfather in the 80's! There is something to be said for a beer that has lasted sooo long. I am 56 yrs old and not much is left from back then. I am tipping a glass to my grandfather's memory!

It is definitely a good beer for the reason I stated. (364 characters)

1.85/5  rDev -28%

A - This beer pours a very clear pale yellow straw color. It has about a finger of fizzy white head on it. The head has almost no retention, and it leaves no lace behind on the glass.

S - The nose if that of most adjunct lagers out there. It is grainy with some corny sweetness aromas. Other than that the nose doesn't have much else to offer.

T - The taste follows the nose pretty mch to a T. It is that of your typical light lager. It is grainy with some corn sweetness, and maybe a tiny tiny touch of hop presence coming through. The finish isn't too bad.

M - This has a light body and high fizzy carbonation. It goes down like water, and has a bit of a fizzy feel to it. There is some sweetness and earthiness.

O - The drinkability here is alright. It goes down like water and pretty much tastes like it too, besides some slight beer-like flavor haha. Overall, this is your typical macro lager. It isn't offensive, but it's not good. (944 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -16%

The CANQuest CANtinues unabated thanks to my local trader, tone77, who dropped this off for me on Monday. It looks like he traded for it himself, which makes it even cooler, IMHO.

From the CAN: "A Special Light Beer with a Premium Taste".

The Crack & Glug may end up being the best part of this beer. I created two fingers of foamy, bone-white head from my pour, but it lasted as brief as MacBeth's candle. The room filled with the malodorous scent of silage and my gorge rose as a result. Color was a pale lemon-yellow with NE-plus quality clarity in that I could see through walls with this beer, not just read the Sunday comics. Mouthfeel was thin and watery but the taste was not as bad as the nose had led me to expect. It was a typical watered-down adjunct lager sweetness, nothing out of the ordinary, but not gag-inducing, either. Finish was light and ethereal and if I had a shorter memory, I might have forgotten that I had just drunk a beer. Notch another one on the spreadsheet, but don't waste any cooler space on this one. (1,039 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -9.7%

Thanks to cpolking for sending this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, some notes of corn. Taste is very mild, some hints of grain, not much flavor at all. Feels light in the mouth and overall is a very mild beer. (271 characters)

1.3/5  rDev -49.4%

Looks like urine with head. Head is thick and disapates quickly. Not much smell to it. Taste is bland mouthful is the same drinkability is almost never again. Not the worst beer and definetly not the best beer either. would not recommend this beer at all (254 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -2.7%

Another mystery beer machine pick. Most people cringe when they pull this one, but it's not that bad. Not great but the price is right.

A - Very pale yellow color. Decent amount of head.

S - Not very good. Smells kind of skunky.

T - OK, not going to win any awards.

M - Leaves quite a bit to be desired.

D - Definitely could be better. (340 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -0.8%

Bought cases of the stuff in Wisconsin. Just now started to get this brew in Saint Louis. Cheap. I bought two 24 packs for under $17.

A - Poured a clear, faint gold. One inch thick head that disappeared after 2 minutes. Bubbles ran up side of glass in a slow fashion.

S - Not much. Light grain, slight vegetable odor.

T - Same as smell. Light bubble, and smooth to drink. Leaves little or no after taste. Kind of burpy beer. Hints of metal, and slight sour "light beer" taste. (Dad said he doesn't like that about this beer :D)

M - Not much viscosity to this beer. Goes down easy. Little or no remnants after.

Overall for the price, I feel like I have been more than gracious. It is a simple, east to drink, cheap to buy, god honest light beer. Is it anything more? No not at all. There are many other light beers to go with that are much better. Does it give me a head ache? No. I don't get hung over from it either. It is what it is. (944 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -12.5%

Had this one with my old man and some buddies this weekend on our fishing trip. My dad used to drink Hamm's in college, and hadn't seen the stuff since. He had no idea there was Hamm's Golden Draft or Hamm's Light, so he had to give them a try. Naturally, all we had was cases of the stuff.

Of the near case of this I consumed over the course of the 4 day weekend, I only had one in a glass, the first. The rest were consumed straight out of the can.

This is going to be an uncharacteristic and short review from me. But it's so similar to the Genuine Draft version (but "lighter") that I don't think it warrants another review.

Like I said, you could take the Genuine Draft Hamm's and water it down, this is what you would get. It's not bad, but I would definitely never drink this again.

This is something I might even turn down from my own father! Give me the Genuine Draft version, the light is just bad. (912 characters)

2.15/5  rDev -16.3%

Poured into a mug with a pheasant on it, to celebrate Hamm's.

Pours a one finger fizzy head that doesn't last very long. Color is very clear straw yellow.

Aroma is very grainy. Typical light lager smell. I am not picking up a lot here.

Taste is like the smell: grainy. Not very complex. Very hard to distinguish any more taste.

Mouthfeel is dry and flat. Leaves a very unpleasant aftertaste.

Well, I got this from my sister's boyfriend who absolutely loves this stuff, so I figured I'd review it and compare it to the other Hamm's I have tried. Nothing I will ever buy. This is light, which makes it easy to drink a lot of these, however. (643 characters)

2.74/5  rDev +6.6%

Tasting out of a can as the good Lord intended!
I can imagine the color is pale yellow.
medium carbonation, smells of grain/corn.
kinda smooth, grainy, small bitterness, finishes well.
Actually not bad for a light beer..though with over 8gs. of carbs is it really light (269 characters)

1.95/5  rDev -24.1%

A "D"? Seriously? Pours clear yellow with a foamy white head. Aroma is stale grain and malt, and metal. Taste is grass clippings, dirt, and corny sugar water.

From the land of sky-blue waters...comes this incredibly bad beer. This stuff can't even make the cut at a fraternity party. The two reasons I gave it an D-: (1) Its "light" so there's less of the flavor of ass, and (2) its still better than Olympia. (410 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Hamm's Special Light from Hamm's Brewing Co.