2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hamm's Special Light - Hamm's Brewing Co.

Hamm's Special LightHamm's Special Light

poor

Hamm's Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Light Lager |  4.10% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-20-2004)
View: Beers (3) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 51 | Reviews: 24 | Show All Ratings:
ahommell

Mississippi

1.5/5  rDev -37.8%
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

A: Is this water? Pours the color of piss after you have drank a 24 pack of miller light. Straight clear. Watery. Off White.

S: Hate. Lack of love of the mother as a child. Watery piss.

T: Do I kill myself now or later? LATER! I actually think I am hydrating at this point. If you mixed Schwepps Tonic Water and a nice Sutter Home white wine together... you would get this beer.

M: I don't know I have drunk anything at all. The taste of water and wine that is so far from the blood of Christ that I am actually wondering if I should make the sign of the cross or if I should instead just turn myself into prison as Judas to my own body.

However... It doesn't last on the tongue long thank god.

O: Is this beer? I'm still asking myself this question.

NOTE: This is the lowest rating In have ever given.

01-13-2014 04:22:16 | More by ahommell
jeranbrews

Oklahoma

1.99/5  rDev -17.4%

A - airy white quickly evaporating head. Not much continue carbonation. Color of sparkling white wine minus the sparkle.

S - hay, aluminum, and self loathing.

T - like the thrice boiled dregs of spent mash. This is to beer what warm soda with melted ice is to Pepsi

M - thin watery

D - overall what I would expect and have had from third rate third world breweries. But this gives Milwakee shame on the level of "Milwakee's Best"

08-11-2013 05:18:59 | More by jeranbrews
michiganminer

3.9/5  rDev +61.8%

THis is a good light beer for the money. I can get Hamms and Hamms Special light as low as $11 a 30 and $5 a 12. For that money you can't expect much and you will be impressed with this beer for the low asking price. I enjoyed this one for a light beer.

Note: I review for the style. I refuse to let my prejudices slant any review. Nothing worse than the typical beer snob reviewing an AAL, same for your AAL drinker reviewing a craft brew.

11-03-2012 06:52:35 | More by michiganminer
bushbeer75

2.13/5  rDev -11.6%

12 oz can poured into a glass mug.

Note to self: Remember when reviewing this is a light lager – review accordingly
Hamm’s Special Light poured a crystal clear very pale yellow producing a bubbly and foamy bright white 2-finger head that had almost no retention and lacing. The nose is very light and clean with faint aromas of cereal adjuncts like corn. The taste is very low in malt flavor, and no signs of bitterness …like most light lagers. The carbonation is fizzy with a very light and dry mouth feel [again] typical for the style.

At $9.99 a CASE you can’t expect too much. I suppose it is true you get what you pay for.

11-01-2012 14:51:55 | More by bushbeer75
boilermakerbrew

Missouri

2.53/5  rDev +5%

A- Pours the usual clear, straw yellow color. Clarity is superb, color is slightly lighter than most light lagers. Head actually retains very well, but poor lacing.

S- Very faint, and mostly corn. Light and a little refreshing odor, but mostly corn adjunct with slight grassy notes.

T- Very light flavors. Grainy, with hints of a Euro lager skunkiness too. Nothing entirely offensive, but nothing to write home about, even for the category.

M- Thin as water, but infinitely more carbonated. Great weight for a 100 degree day.

Overall, it's a light lager that is really cheap. That being said, when it is $10.99 a 30, this is about as solid as it gets.

08-11-2012 17:38:02 | More by boilermakerbrew
NeroFiddled

2.6/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Hamm's Special Light
12 oz. can, AUG 1312 (not sure how old it is, but as this is July 9th we're getting real close to the "best by" date)

As expected, the bright white head dropped almost immediately to a standard collar; and only minor spots and splashes of lace were left behind. The body was a light straw-gold when held to the light, and crystal clear.

The aroma was of the generic "beer" type. There's clearly malt to it (and adjunct), and there's clearly hops in it, but nothing really stands out and the two components basically act as one. It's a fairly mild aroma, but it's also quite clean (no sulphur or esters) which is

The flavor was also very generic, and it's fairly mild (which I guess is at least part of what you're looking for in a light beer), yet it's superbly balanced between its hops and its malt - and dare I say it, it's got a little more hop character to it than several of the big name brands. Also, just as in the aroma, it's very clean.

Overall, it's a clean, surprisingly well-hopped light lager that's refreshing. A good, inexpensive mainstream light beer.

07-09-2012 15:01:03 | More by NeroFiddled
kickapoogirl

4.13/5  rDev +71.4%

We'd all drink the good stuff if we could, or make it ourselves. Each to their own taste. Having tasted the cheap end of the beer line, I can tell you this- no ganky aftertaste with this stuff.

Hamm's Light has a beer taste, but it's light- not like some "light" beers are. If you like a light beer, inexpensive, buy some beer for the party, or just want to stock the fridge, I think you might be surprised. I was. This stuff goes down easy, and if that isn't the mark of a good beer, I don't know what is. But thanks to all you guys who have put it to the fancy testing. Tastes good, $12 a 30 pack, where you can find it.... Works for me.

Didn't much care for the regular Hamms I tasted, but for my "nipple" beer, Hamm's Light is a blessing. And it comes from Milwaukee! :)

06-23-2012 08:39:15 | More by kickapoogirl
7beerphil

Maryland

Poured from the can into a pint glass. Almost no color here. This takes the cake for the palest yellow beer I've ever had.

Smell is barely here as well, which for this type of brew is a good thing.

Taste is extremely light, crisp, and refreshing. I could see taking this along on a lengthy bike ride to quench my thirst. Who need H2O when you have this.

Mouthfeel goes hand in hand with the taste. This could be easily shot-gunned (and I'm sure it is at a few college campuses).

Overall, I like Hamm's Special Light. It doesn't try to be anything it isn't. Plus at 4.1% abv, it's an excellent example of a light beer.

04-07-2012 03:00:58 | More by 7beerphil
secondtooth

3.05/5  rDev +26.6%

Pale piss-yellow, but with a solid head of white foam. Big, loopy lace, even.

Nose is barley and rice adjuncts. I also get an odd aroma of cream corn somehow.

Taste is mild, faint, and corny. But as awful as that sounds, this one is quite smooth and inoffensive. As with the regular Hamm's, this one drinks much better than the more mainstream macro counterparts. Not bad.

03-25-2012 14:25:37 | More by secondtooth
Jtmitch416

3.3/5  rDev +36.9%

I must admit, this is biased!

This beer is average in every aspect but one. Nostalgia!

I last had Hamm's with my grandfather in the 80's! There is something to be said for a beer that has lasted sooo long. I am 56 yrs old and not much is left from back then. I am tipping a glass to my grandfather's memory!

It is definitely a good beer for the reason I stated.

01-16-2012 23:38:59 | More by Jtmitch416
JizackFH

1.88/5  rDev -22%

A - This beer pours a very clear pale yellow straw color. It has about a finger of fizzy white head on it. The head has almost no retention, and it leaves no lace behind on the glass.

S - The nose if that of most adjunct lagers out there. It is grainy with some corny sweetness aromas. Other than that the nose doesn't have much else to offer.

T - The taste follows the nose pretty mch to a T. It is that of your typical light lager. It is grainy with some corn sweetness, and maybe a tiny tiny touch of hop presence coming through. The finish isn't too bad.

M - This has a light body and high fizzy carbonation. It goes down like water, and has a bit of a fizzy feel to it. There is some sweetness and earthiness.

O - The drinkability here is alright. It goes down like water and pretty much tastes like it too, besides some slight beer-like flavor haha. Overall, this is your typical macro lager. It isn't offensive, but it's not good.

12-21-2011 22:19:21 | More by JizackFH
woodychandler

2.25/5  rDev -6.6%

The CANQuest CANtinues unabated thanks to my local trader, tone77, who dropped this off for me on Monday. It looks like he traded for it himself, which makes it even cooler, IMHO.

From the CAN: "A Special Light Beer with a Premium Taste".

The Crack & Glug may end up being the best part of this beer. I created two fingers of foamy, bone-white head from my pour, but it lasted as brief as MacBeth's candle. The room filled with the malodorous scent of silage and my gorge rose as a result. Color was a pale lemon-yellow with NE-plus quality clarity in that I could see through walls with this beer, not just read the Sunday comics. Mouthfeel was thin and watery but the taste was not as bad as the nose had led me to expect. It was a typical watered-down adjunct lager sweetness, nothing out of the ordinary, but not gag-inducing, either. Finish was light and ethereal and if I had a shorter memory, I might have forgotten that I had just drunk a beer. Notch another one on the spreadsheet, but don't waste any cooler space on this one.

10-01-2011 15:04:42 | More by woodychandler
tone77

2.3/5  rDev -4.6%

Thanks to cpolking for sending this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, some notes of corn. Taste is very mild, some hints of grain, not much flavor at all. Feels light in the mouth and overall is a very mild beer.

09-15-2011 14:38:36 | More by tone77
yuenglingfan101

1.25/5  rDev -48.1%

Looks like urine with head. Head is thick and disapates quickly. Not much smell to it. Taste is bland mouthful is the same drinkability is almost never again. Not the worst beer and definetly not the best beer either. would not recommend this beer at all

08-08-2011 15:16:43 | More by yuenglingfan101
richkrull

Wisconsin

2.53/5  rDev +5%

Another mystery beer machine pick. Most people cringe when they pull this one, but it's not that bad. Not great but the price is right.

A - Very pale yellow color. Decent amount of head.

S - Not very good. Smells kind of skunky.

T - OK, not going to win any awards.

M - Leaves quite a bit to be desired.

D - Definitely could be better.

01-06-2011 01:00:05 | More by richkrull
Clockwork420

Missouri

2.63/5  rDev +9.1%

Bought cases of the stuff in Wisconsin. Just now started to get this brew in Saint Louis. Cheap. I bought two 24 packs for under $17.

A - Poured a clear, faint gold. One inch thick head that disappeared after 2 minutes. Bubbles ran up side of glass in a slow fashion.

S - Not much. Light grain, slight vegetable odor.

T - Same as smell. Light bubble, and smooth to drink. Leaves little or no after taste. Kind of burpy beer. Hints of metal, and slight sour "light beer" taste. (Dad said he doesn't like that about this beer :D)

M - Not much viscosity to this beer. Goes down easy. Little or no remnants after.

Overall for the price, I feel like I have been more than gracious. It is a simple, east to drink, cheap to buy, god honest light beer. Is it anything more? No not at all. There are many other light beers to go with that are much better. Does it give me a head ache? No. I don't get hung over from it either. It is what it is.

07-31-2010 04:31:35 | More by Clockwork420
Mistofminn

2.25/5  rDev -6.6%

Had this one with my old man and some buddies this weekend on our fishing trip. My dad used to drink Hamm's in college, and hadn't seen the stuff since. He had no idea there was Hamm's Golden Draft or Hamm's Light, so he had to give them a try. Naturally, all we had was cases of the stuff.

Of the near case of this I consumed over the course of the 4 day weekend, I only had one in a glass, the first. The rest were consumed straight out of the can.

This is going to be an uncharacteristic and short review from me. But it's so similar to the Genuine Draft version (but "lighter") that I don't think it warrants another review.

Like I said, you could take the Genuine Draft Hamm's and water it down, this is what you would get. It's not bad, but I would definitely never drink this again.

This is something I might even turn down from my own father! Give me the Genuine Draft version, the light is just bad.

05-26-2009 01:25:49 | More by Mistofminn
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

2.15/5  rDev -10.8%

Poured into a mug with a pheasant on it, to celebrate Hamm's.

Pours a one finger fizzy head that doesn't last very long. Color is very clear straw yellow.

Aroma is very grainy. Typical light lager smell. I am not picking up a lot here.

Taste is like the smell: grainy. Not very complex. Very hard to distinguish any more taste.

Mouthfeel is dry and flat. Leaves a very unpleasant aftertaste.

Well, I got this from my sister's boyfriend who absolutely loves this stuff, so I figured I'd review it and compare it to the other Hamm's I have tried. Nothing I will ever buy. This is light, which makes it easy to drink a lot of these, however.

04-14-2009 03:52:20 | More by mothman
Reidrover

Oregon

2.73/5  rDev +13.3%

Tasting out of a can as the good Lord intended!
I can imagine the color is pale yellow.
medium carbonation, smells of grain/corn.
kinda smooth, grainy, small bitterness, finishes well.
Actually not bad for a light beer..though with over 8gs. of carbs is it really light

02-01-2009 00:42:26 | More by Reidrover
magictrokini

1.98/5  rDev -17.8%

A "D"? Seriously? Pours clear yellow with a foamy white head. Aroma is stale grain and malt, and metal. Taste is grass clippings, dirt, and corny sugar water.

From the land of sky-blue waters...comes this incredibly bad beer. This stuff can't even make the cut at a fraternity party. The two reasons I gave it an D-: (1) Its "light" so there's less of the flavor of ass, and (2) its still better than Olympia.

12-10-2008 19:34:04 | More by magictrokini
Chaz

3.15/5  rDev +30.7%

This one pours a brilliant pale straw in color, in fact it's among the most 'colorless' beers I've ever had. Head is white, voluminous, and the consistency of whipped cream and subsides rather quickly, leaving the barest ring of lace around the glass. This looks to be highly-carbonated at a casual glance, and I'm glad I'm not drinking it from a can! Nose is lightly sweet and smells of corn and pale malts, no noticeable hop presence. On first sip there's not much here, but there's actually more of a biscuit-y malt character than I'd imagined and that's worth something. Not much in the way of body -this one is the epitome of thin- and thankfully some of the fizz dissipates with decanting. Thankfully there's also not much of an aftertaste here, and it makes for a fairly dry (certainly less sweet than Hamm's original recipe) finish and clean taste. Altogether this is very drinkable for the style. I've had worse light beers to be honest, and this one at least has a familiar taste: I'm pegging it as Stroh's Light. After all, did Hamm's even brew a light beer backing the day?

Served chilled, in a chalice.

09-11-2008 23:42:33 | More by Chaz
budgood1

2.53/5  rDev +5%

pours out of the can a very pale yellow colour. very large bubbles of carbonation produce a very thin pure white head that doesn't really stick or leave much lace. light grainy aroma...a bit corny, too. the taste is a not unpleasant mixture of husky graininess, a whisper of pale malt and a light brush of some bittering hops. granted, it's all watered down to the point of being hardly there, but it's unoffensive and that bodes well for the drinker. the body is indeed light, and the mouthfeel quite crisp and refreshing. drinkability is good if the one quaffing this stuff is extremely thirsty and the weather hot and sultry. or maybe a good after exercise slammer when you want the refreshment of cold water and the satisfying smack of light beer.

not bad for an extremely light tasting beer. i wouldn't turn one down after a hot day in the sun.

03-06-2008 23:37:28 | More by budgood1
bminus

1.75/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Bought a case for 10.50... can't really complain but...
pours out the usual yellowish gold with a white head that fades, lots of carbonation.

not too smelly at all, little malty corn

taste is very weak but what is there is not too offensive...

mouthfeel was, in my mind, pretty decent for the class. really smooth.

If you're a college kid like me and want a good beer to party with, this is pretty drinkable. It's pretty smooth and pretty easy to drink. It doesn't hurt that you can search your couch to find enough change for a case of this stuff.

10-15-2007 05:01:04 | More by bminus
mynie

1.18/5  rDev -51%

All the years that I used to pilfer these from the gas station I worked at in high school (with the owner's tacit consent), I had no idea that I was drinking such a rarity.

But "rarity" is almost a kind word, isn't it? It makes you think of something neat: a first issue of Batman or that baseball card where the guy is flipping the bird. Let me assure you, this drink is no buried treasure.

There is no more gastronomically volcanic beer than Hamm's Light--and that includes regular Hamm's. It's so bubbly that it burns your mouth and it tastes sour, like vinegar. This was the first beer that I ever drank regularly, and it really screwed up my perception of beer for years to come. I honestly thought that everything was this bad.

07-12-2004 02:45:13 | More by mynie
Hamm's Special Light from Hamm's Brewing Co.