Hamm's Special Light - Hamm's Brewing Co.

Hamm's Special LightHamm's Special Light

Ratings: 73 | Reviews: 30
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

3.19/5  rDev +31.3%

Hamm's Special Light is a bit generous with the name "special", but for a light beer it more than gets the job done. I'd pick this over the BMC* lights any day, especially if you're looking for value in quantity as you can grab a 30 of this for as low as $13 and change.

Does it stand up to complex and flavorful craft beers? Of course not, and it's not supposed to. But to be a crisp, refreshing and easy to drink light lager with no offensive character, it's a win.

*I'm fully aware that MillerCoors has owned this since 1999.

doesn't have that awful bud light taste.isay a big YES to this brew

1.95/5  rDev -19.8%

A "D"? Seriously? Pours clear yellow with a foamy white head. Aroma is stale grain and malt, and metal. Taste is grass clippings, dirt, and corny sugar water.

From the land of sky-blue waters...comes this incredibly bad beer. This stuff can't even make the cut at a fraternity party. The two reasons I gave it an D-: (1) Its "light" so there's less of the flavor of ass, and (2) its still better than Olympia.

2.5/5  rDev +2.9%

Another mystery beer machine pick. Most people cringe when they pull this one, but it's not that bad. Not great but the price is right.

A - Very pale yellow color. Decent amount of head.

S - Not very good. Smells kind of skunky.

T - OK, not going to win any awards.

M - Leaves quite a bit to be desired.

D - Definitely could be better.

3.05/5  rDev +25.5%

Pale piss-yellow, but with a solid head of white foam. Big, loopy lace, even.

Nose is barley and rice adjuncts. I also get an odd aroma of cream corn somehow.

Taste is mild, faint, and corny. But as awful as that sounds, this one is quite smooth and inoffensive. As with the regular Hamm's, this one drinks much better than the more mainstream macro counterparts. Not bad.

2.6/5  rDev +7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Hamm's Special Light
12 oz. can, AUG 1312 (not sure how old it is, but as this is July 9th we're getting real close to the "best by" date)

As expected, the bright white head dropped almost immediately to a standard collar; and only minor spots and splashes of lace were left behind. The body was a light straw-gold when held to the light, and crystal clear.

The aroma was of the generic "beer" type. There's clearly malt to it (and adjunct), and there's clearly hops in it, but nothing really stands out and the two components basically act as one. It's a fairly mild aroma, but it's also quite clean (no sulphur or esters) which is

The flavor was also very generic, and it's fairly mild (which I guess is at least part of what you're looking for in a light beer), yet it's superbly balanced between its hops and its malt - and dare I say it, it's got a little more hop character to it than several of the big name brands. Also, just as in the aroma, it's very clean.

Overall, it's a clean, surprisingly well-hopped light lager that's refreshing. A good, inexpensive mainstream light beer.

2.32/5  rDev -4.5%

Thanks to cpolking for sending this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, some notes of corn. Taste is very mild, some hints of grain, not much flavor at all. Feels light in the mouth and overall is a very mild beer.

3.88/5  rDev +59.7%

THis is a good light beer for the money. I can get Hamms and Hamms Special light as low as $11 a 30 and $5 a 12. For that money you can't expect much and you will be impressed with this beer for the low asking price. I enjoyed this one for a light beer.

Note: I review for the style. I refuse to let my prejudices slant any review. Nothing worse than the typical beer snob reviewing an AAL, same for your AAL drinker reviewing a craft brew.

2.13/5  rDev -12.3%

12 oz can poured into a glass mug.

Note to self: Remember when reviewing this is a light lager – review accordingly
Hamm’s Special Light poured a crystal clear very pale yellow producing a bubbly and foamy bright white 2-finger head that had almost no retention and lacing. The nose is very light and clean with faint aromas of cereal adjuncts like corn. The taste is very low in malt flavor, and no signs of bitterness …like most light lagers. The carbonation is fizzy with a very light and dry mouth feel [again] typical for the style.

At $9.99 a CASE you can’t expect too much. I suppose it is true you get what you pay for.

2.74/5  rDev +12.8%

Tasting out of a can as the good Lord intended!
I can imagine the color is pale yellow.
medium carbonation, smells of grain/corn.
kinda smooth, grainy, small bitterness, finishes well.
Actually not bad for a light beer..though with over 8gs. of carbs is it really light

2.16/5  rDev -11.1%

The CANQuest CANtinues unabated thanks to my local trader, tone77, who dropped this off for me on Monday. It looks like he traded for it himself, which makes it even cooler, IMHO.

From the CAN: "A Special Light Beer with a Premium Taste".

The Crack & Glug may end up being the best part of this beer. I created two fingers of foamy, bone-white head from my pour, but it lasted as brief as MacBeth's candle. The room filled with the malodorous scent of silage and my gorge rose as a result. Color was a pale lemon-yellow with NE-plus quality clarity in that I could see through walls with this beer, not just read the Sunday comics. Mouthfeel was thin and watery but the taste was not as bad as the nose had led me to expect. It was a typical watered-down adjunct lager sweetness, nothing out of the ordinary, but not gag-inducing, either. Finish was light and ethereal and if I had a shorter memory, I might have forgotten that I had just drunk a beer. Notch another one on the spreadsheet, but don't waste any cooler space on this one.

1.3/5  rDev -46.5%

Looks like urine with head. Head is thick and disapates quickly. Not much smell to it. Taste is bland mouthful is the same drinkability is almost never again. Not the worst beer and definetly not the best beer either. would not recommend this beer at all

2.91/5  rDev +19.8%

This beer isn't bad, and can be had for $12/30 pack. I'm gonna give it a good thorough run-through, though.

Appearance : fluffy, foamy, almost river-foam head. Stark white. Body is very pale, like water with a slight golden tint. The head sticks around for a bit.

Aroma : From strongest to weakest - urine, hay, cooked rice, corn.

Flavor/mouthfeel : crisp and clean with a light malt flavor. The malts are primarily barley and rice with a nip of cooked corn. The finish is dry with a slight hopped character. It's very easy drinking, and finishes clean.

Overall : To compare this with any type of craft or beer of stature is silly. What this is, is a crisp, clean, light lager with minimal calories and can be bought with a jar of quarters. This is what I reach for when I'm not thinking about beer, I just want one. I will buy this again. Compared to High Life Light, this has less flavor but is less offending and cleaner overall.

4.05/5  rDev +66.7%

We'd all drink the good stuff if we could, or make it ourselves. Each to their own taste. Having tasted the cheap end of the beer line, I can tell you this- no ganky aftertaste with this stuff.

Hamm's Light has a beer taste, but it's light- not like some "light" beers are. If you like a light beer, inexpensive, buy some beer for the party, or just want to stock the fridge, I think you might be surprised. I was. This stuff goes down easy, and if that isn't the mark of a good beer, I don't know what is. But thanks to all you guys who have put it to the fancy testing. Tastes good, $12 a 30 pack, where you can find it.... Works for me.

Didn't much care for the regular Hamms I tasted, but for my "nipple" beer, Hamm's Light is a blessing. And it comes from Milwaukee! :)

1.75/5  rDev -28%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Bought a case for 10.50... can't really complain but...
pours out the usual yellowish gold with a white head that fades, lots of carbonation.

not too smelly at all, little malty corn

taste is very weak but what is there is not too offensive...

mouthfeel was, in my mind, pretty decent for the class. really smooth.

If you're a college kid like me and want a good beer to party with, this is pretty drinkable. It's pretty smooth and pretty easy to drink. It doesn't hurt that you can search your couch to find enough change for a case of this stuff.

3.29/5  rDev +35.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

This beer holds a special place in my heart, this was the beer of choice for me and my buddies in college.

1.99/5  rDev -18.1%

A - airy white quickly evaporating head. Not much continue carbonation. Color of sparkling white wine minus the sparkle.

S - hay, aluminum, and self loathing.

T - like the thrice boiled dregs of spent mash. This is to beer what warm soda with melted ice is to Pepsi

M - thin watery

D - overall what I would expect and have had from third rate third world breweries. But this gives Milwakee shame on the level of "Milwakee's Best"

2.25/5  rDev -7.4%

Had this one with my old man and some buddies this weekend on our fishing trip. My dad used to drink Hamm's in college, and hadn't seen the stuff since. He had no idea there was Hamm's Golden Draft or Hamm's Light, so he had to give them a try. Naturally, all we had was cases of the stuff.

Of the near case of this I consumed over the course of the 4 day weekend, I only had one in a glass, the first. The rest were consumed straight out of the can.

This is going to be an uncharacteristic and short review from me. But it's so similar to the Genuine Draft version (but "lighter") that I don't think it warrants another review.

Like I said, you could take the Genuine Draft Hamm's and water it down, this is what you would get. It's not bad, but I would definitely never drink this again.

This is something I might even turn down from my own father! Give me the Genuine Draft version, the light is just bad.

This and the regular Hamm's are the only beers I've ever had at a frat party that made me say I'd rather just stay sober than drink another beer.

4.34/5  rDev +78.6%

L: "looks like a cleaning product"
s: "completely odorless"
t: has fruity undertones. surprisingly complex for the price point. adding an orange greatly increase the drinkability
f: feels like I can jump through a ceiling
overall: compared to the competition, it is surprisingly complex. it's not quite an explosion of flavor but it does provide for an interesting drinking experience

2.15/5  rDev -11.5%

Poured into a mug with a pheasant on it, to celebrate Hamm's.

Pours a one finger fizzy head that doesn't last very long. Color is very clear straw yellow.

Aroma is very grainy. Typical light lager smell. I am not picking up a lot here.

Taste is like the smell: grainy. Not very complex. Very hard to distinguish any more taste.

Mouthfeel is dry and flat. Leaves a very unpleasant aftertaste.

Well, I got this from my sister's boyfriend who absolutely loves this stuff, so I figured I'd review it and compare it to the other Hamm's I have tried. Nothing I will ever buy. This is light, which makes it easy to drink a lot of these, however.

2.5/5  rDev +2.9%

pours out of the can a very pale yellow colour. very large bubbles of carbonation produce a very thin pure white head that doesn't really stick or leave much lace. light grainy aroma...a bit corny, too. the taste is a not unpleasant mixture of husky graininess, a whisper of pale malt and a light brush of some bittering hops. granted, it's all watered down to the point of being hardly there, but it's unoffensive and that bodes well for the drinker. the body is indeed light, and the mouthfeel quite crisp and refreshing. drinkability is good if the one quaffing this stuff is extremely thirsty and the weather hot and sultry. or maybe a good after exercise slammer when you want the refreshment of cold water and the satisfying smack of light beer.

not bad for an extremely light tasting beer. i wouldn't turn one down after a hot day in the sun.

3.98/5  rDev +63.8%

Poured from the can into a pint glass. Almost no color here. This takes the cake for the palest yellow beer I've ever had.

Smell is barely here as well, which for this type of brew is a good thing.

Taste is extremely light, crisp, and refreshing. I could see taking this along on a lengthy bike ride to quench my thirst. Who need H2O when you have this.

Mouthfeel goes hand in hand with the taste. This could be easily shot-gunned (and I'm sure it is at a few college campuses).

Overall, I like Hamm's Special Light. It doesn't try to be anything it isn't. Plus at 4.1% abv, it's an excellent example of a light beer.

2.55/5  rDev +4.9%

Bought cases of the stuff in Wisconsin. Just now started to get this brew in Saint Louis. Cheap. I bought two 24 packs for under $17.

A - Poured a clear, faint gold. One inch thick head that disappeared after 2 minutes. Bubbles ran up side of glass in a slow fashion.

S - Not much. Light grain, slight vegetable odor.

T - Same as smell. Light bubble, and smooth to drink. Leaves little or no after taste. Kind of burpy beer. Hints of metal, and slight sour "light beer" taste. (Dad said he doesn't like that about this beer :D)

M - Not much viscosity to this beer. Goes down easy. Little or no remnants after.

Overall for the price, I feel like I have been more than gracious. It is a simple, east to drink, cheap to buy, god honest light beer. Is it anything more? No not at all. There are many other light beers to go with that are much better. Does it give me a head ache? No. I don't get hung over from it either. It is what it is.

3.3/5  rDev +35.8%

I must admit, this is biased!

This beer is average in every aspect but one. Nostalgia!

I last had Hamm's with my grandfather in the 80's! There is something to be said for a beer that has lasted sooo long. I am 56 yrs old and not much is left from back then. I am tipping a glass to my grandfather's memory!

It is definitely a good beer for the reason I stated.

to view more.
Hamm's Special Light from Hamm's Brewing Co.