Hamm's - Hamm's Brewing Co.

Hamm'sHamm's

poor

Hamm's Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hamm's Alström Bros

I know this site is full of elitists and beer snobs but Hamm's is without a doubt the best session beer available ever. Great taste and great value. Get off your high horse and give credit where credit is due because Hamm's is truly deserving. I just wish it was easier to find In New England.

GoBruins, Jan 06, 2013

tlamb9, Nov 23, 2011

appearance has a yellow and gold look with moderate amount of carbonation. Hams smells like your typical american adjunct lager grainy and cook vegetables. Taste is grainy and smooth. It is very easy drinking beer . Mouthfeel is light but not watery . Overall hams I the top tasting cheap american lagers on market and cam compete with other lagers wich are priced higher .

bbluemzbeer, Aug 14, 2014

KCM, Sep 19, 2012

Hamm's beer, what can I say. It is probably the greatest beer to ever touch the fresh soiled grounds of America.

Hamm's was built on the backs of our grand fathers great grandfathers. Steel Mills, Furnace Blasts, Coal Mines and Lumberjacking.

Appearance: Very nice can style. Pompadour Classic. A golden brown shade of carbonated perfection.

Smell: Smells like really good beer with a hint of Americana. It smells like hops freshly picked out of a hop orchard in the Northeast. A hint of malt and barley also touches the back of the nose palet.

Taste: American perfection. Goes down ultra smooth whether warm or cold. Tastes similar to ChiMay and Hoptimus Prime.

Smell: Like the blood, sweat and tears of our forefathers.

Mouthfeel: please...

Overal: The best beer out right now in my opinion. You can buy a case and treat your friends and not have it kill your wallet.

Check out the video review after the jump:

ChaseRockwell, Jun 14, 2013

coz, Dec 12, 2013

Hamm's Beer -- $5.99 for a twelve-pack at my local beverage emporium, so I couldn't pass it up.

Appearance: Vintage can with the blue, white and gold design, and red Hamm's logo. Beautiful. I drank it out of the can, so I didn't examine the color, head, and lacing. Like it really matters, anyway.

Smell: Smells good. Pure clean beer aroma, no problems at all.

Taste: Damn good. It's crisp and light, with an extremely light touch of hops. Incredibly unique and refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Heavily carbonated and fizzy. It gives a tongue-tingling sensation equal to Miller High Life.

Drinkability: Hamm's tastes good enough to savor in small amounts, or to guzzle as a session beer. Either way, you won't be disappointed.

Overall: Highly recommended.

Vito, Feb 07, 2009

it tastes like a full beer not any of the light beers have a full body. I think it has something to do with the fact that it was on tap and not from a can. It is quite hoppy and has lots of bitterness to it followed by a small sweet spot right at the end.

cschmid44, Mar 11, 2011

KC9LDB, Mar 01, 2013
4.54/5  rDev +70%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Contrary to the righteousness held by so many beer snobs, there is no perfect beer out there. And really, what IS with many a beer so bitter that a glass of vinegar is like a soft drink by comparison, but I digress... For my money a beer should be refreshing and cold.
Straight up, Hamm's more than delivers on that... As ever, a clean tasting, non bitter, refreshing beer either by itself or with food. I challenge any beer "expert"/aficionado to put any of their gilt edge - trendoid beers up against Hamm's (or a few other "low rent" - pedestrian) beers in a blind sampling and they'll get a dose of reality. Some of these "lesser" beers, Hamm's most certainly being one, more than deliver the goods and do not drain your wallet.

Thanx "Hamm's"

equinoxranch, Mar 08, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +68.5%

erickson, Jul 28, 2013
4.48/5  rDev +67.8%

On the most enjoyable bottled beers you can buy. Is it that good? Absolutely, as long as [1] you drink it as fresh as possible (ideally within the first month of delivery from the brew house, or at least months or more out from the expiration date); [2] you're not a piffy, nose-in-air snob.

I don't care about "grassy" this or that. The only question for is whether it tastes great. And, it does. The flavor is distinctive, balanced, and enjoyable. Again, as long as it's fresh, you'll get a really crisp, slightly grain-dominated start, which develops into a fresh, yeastier finish. Delightful. Hops are present in a correct ratio; this isn't some insanely over-hopped, liquid black dirt microbrew. Medium to lighter bodied, it's just the thing for the summer. It doesn't weigh you down, but it's immensely satisfying.

Severius, May 16, 2013
4.43/5  rDev +65.9%

If your looking for a medium bodied beer with great taste and unbeatable cost, then Hamm's is your beer. They have stayed true to their labeling as well as their flavor for years. I do like some micro's and I absolutely love Guinness, but I hate that folks are so proud of them. I can by 30 Hamm's or less then 1/2 case of a micro. I'll take Hamm's, thank you very much.

Nick_Tarvin, May 26, 2013
4.33/5  rDev +62.2%

At $10.99/30 pack, it's definitely best beer for your money. I live around a lot of beer snobs who only drink micros but I honestly think this tastes better. Real smooth taste either ice cold or warm. Not too much of a head. Not too bitter. Not too sweet. Perfect beer. Smell that brings back memories of old of my old man n his friends playing horseshoes. Perfect beer for those people who wanna drink a beer while hanging out in garage with neighbors or playing horseshoes with neighbors. Isn't that what drinking beer is supposed to be about? Top grade homeowners beer. Can drink a quality beer and still afford your mortgage.

Jimmycubs, Mar 08, 2014

tyleeis, Apr 08, 2012

mempath, Aug 20, 2014

Steele_Man, Apr 10, 2014
4.2/5  rDev +57.3%

Great Macro swill, for the price its got all you could expect and more. My favorite style is American Classic Macro and this is one of the best along side Schmidts, Oly, and the new Schlitz. Hamms served at 32 degrees is as good as it gets for drinkability.

TeamSeinfeld, Dec 18, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +54.7%

Never even heard about hamm's til I went to a really cheap bar by my house with one of my friends...he told me I had to get it

The bar was sooo cheap that u could get a pint of hamm's for $.99, a 36 oz mug for $2.75, or a pitcher for $4.00, I can't pass that up.

A - It looks a little darker to me than most American Lagers, extra points for that, typical white head that disappears quick

S - It smells like a regular American Lager, not that strong, but there. somewhat sweet, but nothing really popping out.

T - It tastes different for the style, real different, I swear I can almost tastes a hint of ham, or cheese, cuz its brewed in wisconsin...but seriously, a very good and distinctive taste that sets it apart from the rest.

M - Real clean and smooth going down, not bad at all, normal on the carbonation

O - Just a real good and cheap beer, i highly recommend it, I just don't know where u would find this, I haven't heard of this until a few weeks ago....u will probably never find something that tastes like this.

Matthew_Phoenix, Jul 02, 2013
4.04/5  rDev +51.3%

ChaseG12, Wednesday at 06:16 AM

mikesaffert, Jun 28, 2014

TravisMichelson, Jun 29, 2014

Dba1125, Aug 23, 2014

Poured a 12oz can into my Newcastle pint glass. Pours a yellow straw with just a slight carbonation. Aroma is mostly corn, with a slight sweetness. Not much more. It's really straight forward. This beer tells you exactly what it is in its aroma. The taste is just the same, no exception. Mouthfeel is light with just a slight carbonation. This is one of the better Retro's. It's a really great Lawn Mower beer.

hwwty4, Apr 21, 2008

Pours from the can pale bright golden yellow with a nice 1/2 inch creamy snow white head which stays awhile.
Smells of Corn grass and citrus.
Taste of sweet corn with a nice small hit of Hops and citrus flavor and alcohol. Very Mild would be a great lawn mowing beer for sure when it is hot as it has been this summer here in the northest.
It is highly refreshing and smooth in your mouth, a nice version of an old time favorite when I was young. Many thanks to my friend Ray who traveled out to Wis for vacation for getting me a 30 pack of it, been wanting to try the new suff for awhile now. A nice price also $11.00. A nice old time Union made very drinkable beer. Or as we Say it is Old School.

If we had it in pa I would get some offten for a nice beer to kick down a few! For me way more flavorful then Miller, Coors or Bud anytime!
COME ON Miller / Coors bring it back to Pa was a real big seller in the Old days here. And I think the way retro beers are selling around here in Pa would sell great again. A typical old time real working mans American Beer. Drinking it I could imagin the Hamms Beer Bear dancing in the old time ads. From The Land Of Sky Blue Waters Hamms The Beer refreshing!! Update Hamm's is back in Pa in 2012 just bought a 30 pack at Epps in Limerick. This will be my hot weather drink a bunch beer from now on. Thanks to Miller / Coors for bringing it back.Hamms is very old school in falvor and refreshment for it's type.

Schmidts, Aug 10, 2011
Hamm's from Hamm's Brewing Co.