Hamm's - Hamm's Brewing Co.

Hamm'sHamm's

poor

Hamm's Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hamm's Alström Bros

I know this site is full of elitists and beer snobs but Hamm's is without a doubt the best session beer available ever. Great taste and great value. Get off your high horse and give credit where credit is due because Hamm's is truly deserving. I just wish it was easier to find In New England. (293 characters)

appearance has a yellow and gold look with moderate amount of carbonation. Hams smells like your typical american adjunct lager grainy and cook vegetables. Taste is grainy and smooth. It is very easy drinking beer . Mouthfeel is light but not watery . Overall hams I the top tasting cheap american lagers on market and cam compete with other lagers wich are priced higher . (373 characters)

Hamm's beer, what can I say. It is probably the greatest beer to ever touch the fresh soiled grounds of America.

Hamm's was built on the backs of our grand fathers great grandfathers. Steel Mills, Furnace Blasts, Coal Mines and Lumberjacking.

Appearance: Very nice can style. Pompadour Classic. A golden brown shade of carbonated perfection.

Smell: Smells like really good beer with a hint of Americana. It smells like hops freshly picked out of a hop orchard in the Northeast. A hint of malt and barley also touches the back of the nose palet.

Taste: American perfection. Goes down ultra smooth whether warm or cold. Tastes similar to ChiMay and Hoptimus Prime.

Smell: Like the blood, sweat and tears of our forefathers.

Mouthfeel: please...

Overal: The best beer out right now in my opinion. You can buy a case and treat your friends and not have it kill your wallet.

Check out the video review after the jump:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB9za4emrR4 (966 characters)

Hamm's Beer -- $5.99 for a twelve-pack at my local beverage emporium, so I couldn't pass it up.

Appearance: Vintage can with the blue, white and gold design, and red Hamm's logo. Beautiful. I drank it out of the can, so I didn't examine the color, head, and lacing. Like it really matters, anyway.

Smell: Smells good. Pure clean beer aroma, no problems at all.

Taste: Damn good. It's crisp and light, with an extremely light touch of hops. Incredibly unique and refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Heavily carbonated and fizzy. It gives a tongue-tingling sensation equal to Miller High Life.

Drinkability: Hamm's tastes good enough to savor in small amounts, or to guzzle as a session beer. Either way, you won't be disappointed.

Overall: Highly recommended. (752 characters)

it tastes like a full beer not any of the light beers have a full body. I think it has something to do with the fact that it was on tap and not from a can. It is quite hoppy and has lots of bitterness to it followed by a small sweet spot right at the end. (255 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +57.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Contrary to the righteousness held by so many beer snobs, there is no perfect beer out there. And really, what IS with many a beer so bitter that a glass of vinegar is like a soft drink by comparison, but I digress... For my money a beer should be refreshing and cold.
Straight up, Hamm's more than delivers on that... As ever, a clean tasting, non bitter, refreshing beer either by itself or with food. I challenge any beer "expert"/aficionado to put any of their gilt edge - trendoid beers up against Hamm's (or a few other "low rent" - pedestrian) beers in a blind sampling and they'll get a dose of reality. Some of these "lesser" beers, Hamm's most certainly being one, more than deliver the goods and do not drain your wallet.

Thanx "Hamm's" (749 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +56.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Hamm's the best inexpensive Beer on the market. Recently had Coors lite and compared it to Hamm's premium...not even close Hamm's won out..Coors lite was like watered down beer. (177 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +54.3%

On the most enjoyable bottled beers you can buy. Is it that good? Absolutely, as long as [1] you drink it as fresh as possible (ideally within the first month of delivery from the brew house, or at least months or more out from the expiration date); [2] you're not a piffy, nose-in-air snob.

I don't care about "grassy" this or that. The only question for is whether it tastes great. And, it does. The flavor is distinctive, balanced, and enjoyable. Again, as long as it's fresh, you'll get a really crisp, slightly grain-dominated start, which develops into a fresh, yeastier finish. Delightful. Hops are present in a correct ratio; this isn't some insanely over-hopped, liquid black dirt microbrew. Medium to lighter bodied, it's just the thing for the summer. It doesn't weigh you down, but it's immensely satisfying. (821 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +52.6%

If your looking for a medium bodied beer with great taste and unbeatable cost, then Hamm's is your beer. They have stayed true to their labeling as well as their flavor for years. I do like some micro's and I absolutely love Guinness, but I hate that folks are so proud of them. I can by 30 Hamm's or less then 1/2 case of a micro. I'll take Hamm's, thank you very much. (370 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +48.8%

At $10.99/30 pack, it's definitely best beer for your money. I live around a lot of beer snobs who only drink micros but I honestly think this tastes better. Real smooth taste either ice cold or warm. Not too much of a head. Not too bitter. Not too sweet. Perfect beer. Smell that brings back memories of old of my old man n his friends playing horseshoes. Perfect beer for those people who wanna drink a beer while hanging out in garage with neighbors or playing horseshoes with neighbors. Isn't that what drinking beer is supposed to be about? Top grade homeowners beer. Can drink a quality beer and still afford your mortgage. (629 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +45.3%

Great Macro swill, for the price its got all you could expect and more. My favorite style is American Classic Macro and this is one of the best along side Schmidts, Oly, and the new Schlitz. Hamms served at 32 degrees is as good as it gets for drinkability. (257 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +41.9%

Never even heard about hamm's til I went to a really cheap bar by my house with one of my friends...he told me I had to get it

The bar was sooo cheap that u could get a pint of hamm's for $.99, a 36 oz mug for $2.75, or a pitcher for $4.00, I can't pass that up.

A - It looks a little darker to me than most American Lagers, extra points for that, typical white head that disappears quick

S - It smells like a regular American Lager, not that strong, but there. somewhat sweet, but nothing really popping out.

T - It tastes different for the style, real different, I swear I can almost tastes a hint of ham, or cheese, cuz its brewed in wisconsin...but seriously, a very good and distinctive taste that sets it apart from the rest.

M - Real clean and smooth going down, not bad at all, normal on the carbonation

O - Just a real good and cheap beer, i highly recommend it, I just don't know where u would find this, I haven't heard of this until a few weeks ago....u will probably never find something that tastes like this. (1,029 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +39.8%

(I'm rating this with the style and price in mind, so the high rating is relative)

This is on par with PBR as the best AAL I've ever had. Super cheap and highly drinkable, this is a great beer to add some diversity to the fridge without spending too much. A really solid brew overall. Beats Budweiser, MGD and Coors any day. (325 characters)

Pours from the can pale bright golden yellow with a nice 1/2 inch creamy snow white head which stays awhile.
Smells of Corn grass and citrus.
Taste of sweet corn with a nice small hit of Hops and citrus flavor and alcohol. Very Mild would be a great lawn mowing beer for sure when it is hot as it has been this summer here in the northest.
It is highly refreshing and smooth in your mouth, a nice version of an old time favorite when I was young. Many thanks to my friend Ray who traveled out to Wis for vacation for getting me a 30 pack of it, been wanting to try the new suff for awhile now. A nice price also $11.00. A nice old time Union made very drinkable beer. Or as we Say it is Old School.

If we had it in pa I would get some offten for a nice beer to kick down a few! For me way more flavorful then Miller, Coors or Bud anytime!
COME ON Miller / Coors bring it back to Pa was a real big seller in the Old days here. And I think the way retro beers are selling around here in Pa would sell great again. A typical old time real working mans American Beer. Drinking it I could imagin the Hamms Beer Bear dancing in the old time ads. From The Land Of Sky Blue Waters Hamms The Beer refreshing!! Update Hamm's is back in Pa in 2012 just bought a 30 pack at Epps in Limerick. This will be my hot weather drink a bunch beer from now on. Thanks to Miller / Coors for bringing it back.Hamms is very old school in falvor and refreshment for it's type. (1,454 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +37%

Poured a 12oz can into my Newcastle pint glass. Pours a yellow straw with just a slight carbonation. Aroma is mostly corn, with a slight sweetness. Not much more. It's really straight forward. This beer tells you exactly what it is in its aroma. The taste is just the same, no exception. Mouthfeel is light with just a slight carbonation. This is one of the better Retro's. It's a really great Lawn Mower beer. (410 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +36.3%

look...I love craft beer but I'm sick of every microbrewery trying to do a pale ale, an IPA, a stout, and a Hefeweizen. Some branch out to triples or quads but they all run together. I still love my craft beer but on most nights, I just want a few freaking beers that I don't have to think about or pay a lot for. Hamms is probably the best of the bunch. I pay $12 for a 30 pack. Bud or Miller Lite would be twice that. I love livin' the high life but its $8 for a 12 pack of bottles in my area so Hamms is a great alternative. Good tasting, old fashioned beer, cheap, and refreshing. Besides that the can has a definite old-school ambiance.

Drink some and enjoy. (665 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +34.3%

Appearance: Pours a very pale yellow, nice looking soapy white head has left a decent lacing capping the beer. Beer is icy cold and frosted the glass a bit.

Smell: Some musty grains, cooked rice, a little grassy hops, actually balanced and refreshing.

Taste: Very light bready sweetness, a little lemony citrus, hops are very faint but balance, the beer becomes biscuity in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Crisp rolling carbonation, body is light but not as watery as some competitors, very drinkable.

Drinkability: This was surprisingly balanced and refreshing, stays looking good, superior mouthfeel to other AML. (619 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +34.3%

Dim sun yellow. Thick and frothy white head. Great retention and some apeasing lace is left as well. Aroma is corny, grainy and sweet. Not off putting by any means. Very agreeable taste. Mild malts. Sweet wort like graininess. A touch of hop dryness...I think. Body is heft for a macro. I'd call it medium to medium-full. One of the better macros I've had in a long time. (371 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +33.6%

A: Light straw gold body with not much head.
S: Smells of grains and corn. Not foul smelling like a lot of other adjunct lagers.
T: Pretty watery, but not bad for the style. A hint of hoppy bitterness, but other than that not too much. Maybe even a little buttery.
M: Fine; a bit high on carbonation for my liking.
D: Again, for the style, not bad--easy to have a few. Also would probably be a good beer to have with a variety of foods. (436 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +33.2%

I like this beer a lot, It's real, It's not expensive, It taste like a beer should taste. I've tried a great deal of different types of "beer" Some go way overboard and add funky flavors or way too much hops, But getting back to basics this to me is an almost perfect beer! Now some of you like the girly flavored beers, and that's ok , but that's not real beer, this is. Also just so you know I do like other beers such as Stella, Guinness Stout, Boulevard , (but not the IPA), dos equis, and many others, I'm not a beer snob, but when I like a beer that is good regardless of price I'll be as honest as I can going with my taste preferences. (643 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +32.9%

Hamm's has been my go to budget beer when in need of large quantities of beer on the cheap. A "Dirty 30" of Hamm's retails for under $15 which is an outstanding deal. Great for serving guests after they have drank your more expensive brews.

Hamm's has a light golden color, lightly carbonated and drinks smoothly. Hamm's is very similar to Miller High Life & Grain Belt Premium in terms of appearance and smell, however Hamm's has a distinct hop flavor that makes for a more enjoyable drinking experience. Hamm's is a no nonsense blue collar beer that satisfies again and again. (580 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +29.4%

Gold color with a little bit of prickle. Almost full coverage of lacing and a rim of foam. Lots of grain on the nose, but it stays in balance with the malt. Grainy attack with some mild hops in the flavor but dominated by the grain. Finishes with some graininess in true "premium lager" fashion. Good for the style. The style being what is often sold as "cold beer." (366 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +29.4%

9.99 a case, I had to try it. You know what, its not bad - much better than any popular BMC brand. Light yellow color, smelled better than your typical macro, but taste fantastic. I wish this was available in bottles....looks like its going to be a Hamms summer! (262 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +29.4%

Tonight after bowling league I picked up 12 cans of Hamms beer for around $6.99. I like to revisit the old industrial lagers from time to time. I'm on number three and I have to say I'm digging this beer. Looks like an old time lager should. Very clear and very pale. Aroma sort of leaps out you, for an adjunct lager that is. First of all it doesn't smell like corn, that's something right there. Second, I can smell hops, honest to goodness hops. Not like really powerful hops, but they are there in all their floral, grassy ahem, glory. Tastes alright. Again, doesn't taste like corn. It's not an overly sweet, corn flavored beer. It's light and wheaty, with a touch of grassy hops. Off dry finish. Nice full carbed up mouth. This beer is solid and mostly stands out for what it doesn't have. That is its lack of sweet, corny flavour. Clean and basic with a touch of hops. (875 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +28%

Pours clear gold with a big white head and some minor lacings.

Aroma is corny with some floral hops.

Taste is American macro all the way but more flavor than most. Some detectable hops.

Mouthfeel is average for the style.

Drinkability is better than average. One of my favorite US macros. (292 characters)

Hamm's from Hamm's Brewing Co.