Hamm's - Hamm's Brewing Co.

Hamm'sHamm's

poor

Hamm's Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hamm's Alström Bros

If I could rate this lower I would. By FAR the WORST beer I've had! The taste is the equivalent to a In Heat Wheat by Flying Dog head. I just get hit with wheat and awfulness, just a BAD beer, again if I could rate this lower I would, it;s just that awful. (256 characters)

Container Volume: 355ml

Container type: bottle

Fresh: y

Purchased @: anywhere

Cost: cheap

Head: none

Lace: none

Color: pale yellow

Aroma: tinny

Mouthfeel: light

Palate: curls the tongue

Taste: Tastes like any other pale American lager...all fake carbonation. again only drank this because it was cheap and we wanted a buzz. Seriously, DON'T get this.

Conditions:
Mowing/Working on car- n
With Friends- n
Sipping- n
Get my buzz on- n (472 characters)

Appearance: 1" sudsy white head recedes quickly. Clear straw appearance, moderate carbonation present.
Aroma: some grain husks, corn sweetness, a bit of malt.
Mouthfeel: light and watery. Finish is dry.
Flavor: not a lot going on here. Mostly corn sweetness with a slight malt flavor. Maybe a tiny hint of hops in the finish. Nearly a drain pour for me. (356 characters)

This tastes like the breath of a man who lives on the street and does nothing but drink Natural Ice. It tastes likes that man's pee. There is nothing, NOTHING, in this world worse than Hamm's. I just *had* to try another one, just to tell myself how bad it was. This was a shock from the past that I will not soon forget. (321 characters)

1.25/5  rDev -56.7%

An elderly friend of mine gave me one of these in a gesture of kindness. I took one sip and poured the rest down his kitchen sink when he wasn't looking. Maybe it was skunky, but damn I couldn't stomach it. (210 characters)

1.31/5  rDev -54.7%

Holy nasty skunk batman.

This is some seriously bad beer. It's a cold "fresh" Hamm's. And it is really, really, really bad.

We all should be careful with our reviews and not set out to bash any specific beer. I must say, however, that this beer is in serious need of bashing. I did not enjoy the smell (my wife said it smelled like "skunky butt") or the taste. The head looked like marshmallow creme and the color was golden. It went down easy, but due to the flavor, I couldn't drink more than one can.

If you check my reviews you will note that I do not generally give such low scores, but in this case I'm going as low as possible to save my fellow advocates the pain. (680 characters)

1.4/5  rDev -51.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Yellow corn colored beer with a shiny light foamy white head. Head subsides very quickly into the lightly carbonated beer.

Light scent hints of sweet corn and barley. In the distance a scent of hop.

First taste is of a sweet granola cereal then the taste dies quickly into a watered down taste of malt with a very light hint a hop. As continue to drink the initial flavors start to die off and I think I'm consuming dirty water

I was excited when I bought this beer, I felt cool; like a born again college frat kid, then I remembered why I never wanted to be in a Frat and I hated almost everyone in college. (613 characters)

1.42/5  rDev -50.9%

Holy sin. This was bad. Bad bad bad. It was rancid and tasted the part. Yeast from here to there. Not the good culture either. Something you'd go to the pharmacy for. Thank goodness I didn't have to pay for it. (210 characters)

1.48/5  rDev -48.8%

Poured into a pint glass. This pours a pale yellow with a cap of frothy white head that fades away quickly.

The aroma is reminisant of musty wet corn. A little bit of light grains and perhaps a bit of hops. Wet old. Orn on the pallet with chalk. Very mild flavors; that would be its redeeming quality.

Light body with decent carbonation. This is is bad. My friend bought this and I want him to get his money back; all five dollars for the six pack of tall boys. (464 characters)

1.53/5  rDev -47.1%

Really horrible. I drank this one out of a 12 oz. can purchased from Allied Liquors #3, one of my favorite cheap beer/malt spots here in indianapolis. They sell singles of all kinds of low-end shit, with a rotating selection in iced-down coolers. Nice.

I don't blame them for the fact that this shit tastes like malta india with a jigger of heinz white vinegar in it.

no, it wasn't that bad, but the first sip was a real shock. I was speeding down 38th street towards home as the astringent shock hit my tongue and sent me reeling. further sips revealed that yes, Hamm's is horrible, a morbid mockery of a brew. And i love cheap beer!

Do yourself a favor and buy a schlitz or pbr instead.. (700 characters)

1.56/5  rDev -46%

Serving glass: Poured from can into a tall glass.

Appearance: Clear straw yellow with surprisingly large foamy head, but it doesn't last too long.

Smell: Uh, smells like typical beer - grains, slight spiciness and a touch of corn. Kind of dry and musty.

Taste: Very little malt taste with bad metallic finish. Leaves a corn like aftertaste.

Feel: Moderate carbonation, very watery body, off finish.

Drinkability: Meh. Actually it aspires to be Meh - more like Bleh. (471 characters)

1.59/5  rDev -45%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Not bad when cold, and it has that great old school jingle (search YouTube). I gave it an extra .25 pts overall for the awesome 60's 70's era marketing. (152 characters)

1.6/5  rDev -44.6%

Pours a very, VERY pale yellow with a soft white head that sticks around for a while. Millions of little bubbles rise to the top of the glass constantly.

Aroma is mostly crisp grain like it is freshly cut. A little sulpher comes to the nose as well.

Taste is a real disappointment to me. Very grainy corn flavors, a little slippery on the tongue and a hop finish that doesn't taste like hops but rather sweet malt gone bad. With all of that said it is one of the weakest tasting brews I've ever had.

I'm sorry, Hamms..this one is just undrinkable for me. (557 characters)

1.6/5  rDev -44.6%

This beer was a very pale yellow color and formed really no head to speak of. The aroma was of grain and alcohol. The flavor was of grain and some alcohol. Very light beer and not much in the finish.I had totally forgotten about this beer. I really think that some macro beer companies need to rethink their policies. Cheap beer should have at least one redeeming quality, which is drinkability. This one does not have that. (424 characters)

1.66/5  rDev -42.6%

After checking my records, it has been some ten years since I have had a Hamm’s. The beer spews from the 12-ounce aluminum can a cloudless gold with a pleasant bright white head that is frothy in texture, with the resultant lace a thin covering upon the glass. Nose is all malt, crisp and the start sweet with the top cadaverous. Finish is caustic in its acidity, the hops bitter and unpleasant, quite dry and the taste sticks to your palate like crazy glue, a once decent beer that has now become a joke. (506 characters)

1.71/5  rDev -40.8%

Not to big of a fan of Hamms. My parents sell it for $1 a can at there bar. I've had a few, but really just don’t like it. I generally only order this when a group of us are sharing rounds on the cheap. (204 characters)

1.73/5  rDev -40.1%

The first thing you will notice about this beer is the strong cat urine smell. There is a reason why a 12 pack of this stuff is only $1 more than a 12 pack of soda; it is not good in any sense of the word. The smell is putrid, the taste of old watered down MGD, extreme carbonation, brown, frothy head, and leaves a horrible aftertaste in your mouth. Avoid at all costs. (370 characters)

1.77/5  rDev -38.8%

"headache in a can"

I had this beer last summer at a family get together because someone brought it, the nerve of them!

Drank it out of a can.

Smell some malt and yeast?

Taste sweet, not really a malt sweetness, just sweet.

It doesn't offend and has a sweet after taste.

I got a headache after I finished the 2nd can and needed to take asprin and switch to iced tea. (384 characters)

1.78/5  rDev -38.4%

16 oz can. Poured into a glass. Foamy 1 finger head with a complete disappearance within 1 minute. Smells like husks, sweet grains, tin, alcohol, and copper. Maybe a little pool chemical. Mouthfeel is watery, is robust for a literal second, and ends dry.

Taste is watery, tinny sweet musky grains. Very Mild grain bitterness. Wet paper. Very light carbonated water underneath it all.

Overall Hamms is nothing to write home about. Kinda gross, but drinkable. I stacked three macro lagers next to each other - Busch, High Life, and Hamm's. Hamm's was by far the worst of the three. For $12/30 pack it's a great value but don't expect greatness. Hamm's is like a cornbread tin-infested Coors Banquet. (699 characters)

1.81/5  rDev -37.4%

A-An actual bright yellow adjunct beer color. 1/4 inch head with hard pour. Dissipates relatively slow for Lager but still quickly, with no lacing.

S-Smells like cheap beer out of a metal can. Heavy on the metal smell.

T- Tastes like it smells, cheap metal

M- American carbonated lager

O- Well its 9.99 where I live and you really get what you pay for, .33 apiece beer. Looks good for what is, in a glass, but if you make it past 4 your a champ for having put that much crap in your mouth. (493 characters)

1.87/5  rDev -35.3%

Cheap. Cheap. This beer is very hard to even find anymore. Pissy and fizzy. Soapy head. The smell of cheap beer made from substandard ingredients. Tastes like metal, hay, and dirt. Thin and watery. But you can drink a lot of them with your jerkoff friends around a campfire. The price is the indicator when you buy this product. You don't buy this for the quality. You buy this for drinking large amounts. And that's a purpose it serves well. Cheap. (449 characters)

1.91/5  rDev -33.9%

12 fl oz. can, with date on the bottom of the can readin May 12, 2014 - not sure if that's a best by date or a canned on date. Either way, I'm not expecting much. Another American adjunct lager, gifted to me from a friend mfndsvp. Acquired at the local beer store for $1.99 for the six pack.

Poured into a Winnie The Pooh pint glass.

A - Pours the typical clear golden straw color. Looks like yellow water. Just over a finger of fizzy white head that disappears entirely within a minute. I'm usually generous on the appearance of a beer, but this stuff doesn't look so great.

S - The smell is comprised of the usual suspects - cheap GMO corn / grain, dust, and wet cardboard. Slightly skunky, I guess I would say. It's pretty foul smelling.

T - The taste follows the nose - cheap GMO grain / corn / husk, and sparkling water.

M - Feel is crisp, grainy, and papery. Lingering wet cardboard aftertaste.

Overall, another tick from the bottom of the barrel with plenty more to go. The only selling point for this beer is the cheap price tag.

Hamm's ---2/5. (1,059 characters)

1.91/5  rDev -33.9%

This beer is as generic as it gets. Originally from MN (the land of sky blue waters) and heavily advertised back in the day. Great commericals of the northwoods boundary waters area. The cartoon bear is a classic. Unfortunately the beer is akin to water and smells/tastes like dried up grass.

However you can a 30 pack for about $15. Great for partying on the cheap side or lazily tubing down a river where the means is to get good and buzzed.

If you enjoy drinking it because of the cool classic commericals then go for it. Otherwise PBR is a superior alternative. (569 characters)

1.91/5  rDev -33.9%

Poured for can into tulip glass

A- Very pale straw clear yellow slightly less color than Bud. Bright white head not bad carbonation.

S- Light apple juice, communion wafer

T- Weak malt, slight noble hop bitterness, communion wafer aftertaste

M- Thin. I think I've had bottled water with more mouthfeel.

O- I pick this up cause I wanted something cheap to bring to a party of non-beer drinkers. Plus I heard it was the new hipster beer and wanted to check it out. Not as good as PBR or Bud and probably wouldn't buy again. (525 characters)

1.97/5  rDev -31.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

twelve cans for $5.99 is bang for your buck. At that price, what can you expect..
Nonetheless this brew was not as bad as the price tag made it seem- though it did have the same pathetic pale, yellow hue as other low end beers and a scent almost identical. The taste and mouthfeel earned it an extra star. The taste jumps at you when you're not expecting- something more impressionable than the average bottom shelf.
I'd recommend this to a buddy tight on cash. (461 characters)

Hamm's from Hamm's Brewing Co.