2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hamm's - Hamm's Brewing Co.

Hamm'sHamm's

poor

Hamm's Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2001)
View: Beers (3) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hamm's Alström Bros
Ratings: 458 | Reviews: 202 | Show All Ratings:
mynie

Indiana

This tastes like the breath of a man who lives on the street and does nothing but drink Natural Ice. It tastes likes that man's pee. There is nothing, NOTHING, in this world worse than Hamm's. I just *had* to try another one, just to tell myself how bad it was. This was a shock from the past that I will not soon forget.

10-29-2004 04:50:09 | More by mynie

Cost: cheap

Head: none

Lace: none

Color: pale yellow

Aroma: tinny

Mouthfeel: light

Palate: curls the tongue

Taste: Tastes like any other pale American lager...all fake carbonation. again only drank this because it was cheap and we wanted a buzz. Seriously, DON'T get this.

Conditions:
Mowing/Working on car- n
With Friends- n
Sipping- n
Get my buzz on- n

09-12-2006 06:36:46 | More by TechMyst
HomerHill23

Indiana

If I could rate this lower I would. By FAR the WORST beer I've had! The taste is the equivalent to a In Heat Wheat by Flying Dog head. I just get hit with wheat and awfulness, just a BAD beer, again if I could rate this lower I would, it;s just that awful.

09-04-2012 23:37:20 | More by HomerHill23
cncbofh

Colorado

1.3/5  rDev -51.5%

Holy nasty skunk batman.

This is some seriously bad beer. It's a cold "fresh" Hamm's. And it is really, really, really bad.

We all should be careful with our reviews and not set out to bash any specific beer. I must say, however, that this beer is in serious need of bashing. I did not enjoy the smell (my wife said it smelled like "skunky butt") or the taste. The head looked like marshmallow creme and the color was golden. It went down easy, but due to the flavor, I couldn't drink more than one can.

If you check my reviews you will note that I do not generally give such low scores, but in this case I'm going as low as possible to save my fellow advocates the pain.

09-28-2006 04:09:00 | More by cncbofh
packetknife

Idaho

1.4/5  rDev -47.8%

Holy sin. This was bad. Bad bad bad. It was rancid and tasted the part. Yeast from here to there. Not the good culture either. Something you'd go to the pharmacy for. Thank goodness I didn't have to pay for it.

05-15-2002 18:03:43 | More by packetknife
seanthornton152

Oregon

1.4/5  rDev -47.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Yellow corn colored beer with a shiny light foamy white head. Head subsides very quickly into the lightly carbonated beer.

Light scent hints of sweet corn and barley. In the distance a scent of hop.

First taste is of a sweet granola cereal then the taste dies quickly into a watered down taste of malt with a very light hint a hop. As continue to drink the initial flavors start to die off and I think I'm consuming dirty water

I was excited when I bought this beer, I felt cool; like a born again college frat kid, then I remembered why I never wanted to be in a Frat and I hated almost everyone in college.

11-12-2008 20:34:57 | More by seanthornton152
Bendurgin

Maine

1.43/5  rDev -46.6%

Poured into a pint glass. This pours a pale yellow with a cap of frothy white head that fades away quickly.

The aroma is reminisant of musty wet corn. A little bit of light grains and perhaps a bit of hops. Wet old. Orn on the pallet with chalk. Very mild flavors; that would be its redeeming quality.

Light body with decent carbonation. This is is bad. My friend bought this and I want him to get his money back; all five dollars for the six pack of tall boys.

05-19-2012 01:36:07 | More by Bendurgin
MarkBlackout

1.45/5  rDev -45.9%

Really horrible. I drank this one out of a 12 oz. can purchased from Allied Liquors #3, one of my favorite cheap beer/malt spots here in indianapolis. They sell singles of all kinds of low-end shit, with a rotating selection in iced-down coolers. Nice.

I don't blame them for the fact that this shit tastes like malta india with a jigger of heinz white vinegar in it.

no, it wasn't that bad, but the first sip was a real shock. I was speeding down 38th street towards home as the astringent shock hit my tongue and sent me reeling. further sips revealed that yes, Hamm's is horrible, a morbid mockery of a brew. And i love cheap beer!

Do yourself a favor and buy a schlitz or pbr instead..

01-07-2005 08:12:29 | More by MarkBlackout
bsp77

1.53/5  rDev -42.9%

Serving glass: Poured from can into a tall glass.

Appearance: Clear straw yellow with surprisingly large foamy head, but it doesn't last too long.

Smell: Uh, smells like typical beer - grains, slight spiciness and a touch of corn. Kind of dry and musty.

Taste: Very little malt taste with bad metallic finish. Leaves a corn like aftertaste.

Feel: Moderate carbonation, very watery body, off finish.

Drinkability: Meh. Actually it aspires to be Meh - more like Bleh.

12-22-2009 22:43:38 | More by bsp77
Wildman

1.55/5  rDev -42.2%

This beer was a very pale yellow color and formed really no head to speak of. The aroma was of grain and alcohol. The flavor was of grain and some alcohol. Very light beer and not much in the finish.I had totally forgotten about this beer. I really think that some macro beer companies need to rethink their policies. Cheap beer should have at least one redeeming quality, which is drinkability. This one does not have that.

05-22-2002 21:35:39 | More by Wildman
IntriqKen

1.58/5  rDev -41%

Pours a very, VERY pale yellow with a soft white head that sticks around for a while. Millions of little bubbles rise to the top of the glass constantly.

Aroma is mostly crisp grain like it is freshly cut. A little sulpher comes to the nose as well.

Taste is a real disappointment to me. Very grainy corn flavors, a little slippery on the tongue and a hop finish that doesn't taste like hops but rather sweet malt gone bad. With all of that said it is one of the weakest tasting brews I've ever had.

I'm sorry, Hamms..this one is just undrinkable for me.

06-21-2008 01:46:28 | More by IntriqKen
Gusler

Arizona

1.6/5  rDev -40.3%

After checking my records, it has been some ten years since I have had a Hamm’s. The beer spews from the 12-ounce aluminum can a cloudless gold with a pleasant bright white head that is frothy in texture, with the resultant lace a thin covering upon the glass. Nose is all malt, crisp and the start sweet with the top cadaverous. Finish is caustic in its acidity, the hops bitter and unpleasant, quite dry and the taste sticks to your palate like crazy glue, a once decent beer that has now become a joke.

04-08-2005 17:48:33 | More by Gusler
JoeyBeerBelly

1.78/5  rDev -33.6%

"headache in a can"

I had this beer last summer at a family get together because someone brought it, the nerve of them!

Drank it out of a can.

Smell some malt and yeast?

Taste sweet, not really a malt sweetness, just sweet.

It doesn't offend and has a sweet after taste.

I got a headache after I finished the 2nd can and needed to take asprin and switch to iced tea.

04-15-2007 13:09:31 | More by JoeyBeerBelly
ronniebruner

Arizona

1.78/5  rDev -33.6%

The first thing you will notice about this beer is the strong cat urine smell. There is a reason why a 12 pack of this stuff is only $1 more than a 12 pack of soda; it is not good in any sense of the word. The smell is putrid, the taste of old watered down MGD, extreme carbonation, brown, frothy head, and leaves a horrible aftertaste in your mouth. Avoid at all costs.

12-30-2010 08:05:52 | More by ronniebruner
hoosiersapper27

1.8/5  rDev -32.8%

A-An actual bright yellow adjunct beer color. 1/4 inch head with hard pour. Dissipates relatively slow for Lager but still quickly, with no lacing.

S-Smells like cheap beer out of a metal can. Heavy on the metal smell.

T- Tastes like it smells, cheap metal

M- American carbonated lager

O- Well its 9.99 where I live and you really get what you pay for, .33 apiece beer. Looks good for what is, in a glass, but if you make it past 4 your a champ for having put that much crap in your mouth.

04-19-2012 02:58:46 | More by hoosiersapper27
berserker256

1.85/5  rDev -31%

Cheap. Cheap. This beer is very hard to even find anymore. Pissy and fizzy. Soapy head. The smell of cheap beer made from substandard ingredients. Tastes like metal, hay, and dirt. Thin and watery. But you can drink a lot of them with your jerkoff friends around a campfire. The price is the indicator when you buy this product. You don't buy this for the quality. You buy this for drinking large amounts. And that's a purpose it serves well. Cheap.

11-01-2007 03:42:26 | More by berserker256
PaulyB83

1.88/5  rDev -29.9%

Poured for can into tulip glass

A- Very pale straw clear yellow slightly less color than Bud. Bright white head not bad carbonation.

S- Light apple juice, communion wafer

T- Weak malt, slight noble hop bitterness, communion wafer aftertaste

M- Thin. I think I've had bottled water with more mouthfeel.

O- I pick this up cause I wanted something cheap to bring to a party of non-beer drinkers. Plus I heard it was the new hipster beer and wanted to check it out. Not as good as PBR or Bud and probably wouldn't buy again.

09-14-2013 23:57:25 | More by PaulyB83
DK_CPA

1.9/5  rDev -29.1%

This beer is as generic as it gets. Originally from MN (the land of sky blue waters) and heavily advertised back in the day. Great commericals of the northwoods boundary waters area. The cartoon bear is a classic. Unfortunately the beer is akin to water and smells/tastes like dried up grass.

However you can a 30 pack for about $15. Great for partying on the cheap side or lazily tubing down a river where the means is to get good and buzzed.

If you enjoy drinking it because of the cool classic commericals then go for it. Otherwise PBR is a superior alternative.

09-21-2012 15:54:09 | More by DK_CPA
dren

1.95/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

And we come to another once of the crappy beers on my list to purchase and try. This is the current case I have sitting in my fridge. A friend of mine told me this was the worst beer he has ever had, and quite frankly he couldn't be wrong. This beer just has a bad carbonated corn taste that turns me off. It is more full than competing beers, but this isn't saying much at all. Each of the cheap macro brews has their own subtle taste after you are hit with the carbonation and watery generic beer flavor, and Hamm's has been the worst to date. I hold this up there with Stroh's. Schlitz still remains my number one go to beer when the funds are low and the need for feed is high. The case was under ten dollars so it is one of the few beers out there that you can still get somewhat of a bargain on.

11-16-2004 18:50:09 | More by dren
Dubbercody

Washington

I've discovered that a rat bastard friend of mine left a Hamm's 24 oz can in my beer fridge (along with a Steel Reserve that I can't even begin to understand.) So Rate the Hamm's I will. I don't know if I'll make it to the Steel, but the Hamm's could be passable....maybe.

Light color, flavor, taste, smell, presence...pretty much everything. But it goes down easily and I think the half I consumed from the can as opposed to the glass actually tasted better. Perhaps it was that it was the second half as well....

03-11-2009 02:38:59 | More by Dubbercody
Wasatch

Utah

Pours a light yellow color, nice carbonation, small white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some hops, slight caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, slight hop note. Light body. Not drinkable, would not buy again.

03-16-2010 00:36:09 | More by Wasatch
ZAP

2.03/5  rDev -24.3%

Since I'm from the land of sky blue waters I thought it was worth a shot as I really like the Hamms Genuine Draft..This is not a good macro lager, but it's not a horrible one either...It's drinkable...crisp and clean...some adjunct taste and smell (cornish)...I'm not sure how close this resembles the original Hamm's but it is not worth seeking out. I think the original Hamm's was a Coors/Olympia type lighter/thinner style lager....this one seems to have too much adjunct/corn taste to it...still it's not a horrible beer..This label I think was first sold to Pabst and now is in Miller's hands...

06-10-2002 21:23:20 | More by ZAP
dedrinker

Kansas

2.08/5  rDev -22.4%

I bought a 40 of this and iced that baby up. It had a dirty corn taste, some sweet cereal malts and a little more body than your average cheap-o cruddy lager. It put a hurtin on me somethin' fierce though. Dull yellow in appearance, and almost no head. This one needs to get really cold before one should attempt it. Finish it quick before it warms up. A good accompaniment to Oreos, Cheatoz, bbq fritos, and honey-buns.

10-26-2006 15:07:07 | More by dedrinker
biggmike

Mississippi

2.1/5  rDev -21.6%

Haven’t seen this in the store for years. Thought it was long gone. Reading the commercial description made me laugh out loud. "Another classic beer produced by Pabst Brewing." Thats hard to say with a straight face. My dad used to drink this in the 60’s. I drank it in High School some in the early 80’s. Cheap American beer.

10-05-2007 14:55:32 | More by biggmike
illidurit

2.17/5  rDev -19%

Can. Yellow and fizzy and clear and urinesque. Smells like stale grains, old corn, cesspool water. Flavor is not as watery as some pale lagers but unfortunately the lack of wateriness is replaced with an abundance of cloying corn syrup and cereal. Finish is mineral and short. Yawn

09-06-2009 05:55:48 | More by illidurit
Hamm's from Hamm's Brewing Co.