Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Hamm's | Hamm's Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2001

Reviews: 251 | Ratings: 722
3.07/5  rDev +9.6%

Picked up at a company function.

A: Straw colored with great clarity and mild carbonation from tiny bubbles. Big foamy white head stuck around longer than I thought it would. Left no lace.

S: Promising. A nice aroma of pepper is accompanied by a bit of raw grain.

T: The aroma doesn't translate to the taste. Pretty standard macro fare, but better to me than the BMC mainstays. Mild Malts hit first with flavors of dry barley, wheat and rice, but not necessarily in that order. Bitterness provides balance, but no discernible flavor other than a little metal. Finishes extremely clean.

M: Light body is fizzy, but not overly so.

D: A good yard work and family barbecue beer. In the bargain beer department, this slots in alongside PBR for me. Since a 12-pack of Hamm's goes for less than PBR, this is my new go-to cheap beer.

3.08/5  rDev +10%

Pale straw yellow in colot, with a large head of active carbonation. Thin, even anemic lace on the glass.

Aroma is nothing special -- grainy, barley and little else.

Tastes similar to the nose, malty and thin of body. I get a slight hint of hops deep in the mix, but it's faint. Decent amount of flavor for an American Adjunct.

Certainly not an outstanding beer, but taken for what it is (cheap at $9.99/24 cans), this mops the floor with the big boys' lagers, providing some taste for the buck.

3.08/5  rDev +10%

A- Pours a pale clear straw color with a fluffy white head that settles down to a thin film.

S- Some leafy, dry hops and pale grain.

T- A bit of citrus, a decent amount of hops with a bit of peppery spice, light grainy malts and some sweet adjuncts. Actually pretty decent.

M- Light body, moderate to high carbonation, dry finish.

O- A pretty good beer, especially for the price. Probably about on par with PBR, definitely preferable to the big macros.

3.08/5  rDev +10%

I have this in my beer fridge on a regular basis. It's my work in the yard and lawn mower beer. When you don't want a craft beer and it's not the place or time for one. It's an easy drinking adjunct American Lager retro beer. When you drink it you have visions of a simpler time in America. It's fun to take a 30 pack to family who can't get it and view their amazement it's still around. If you haven't tried it give it a try. Remember it's not a craft but an a American Original. Think Hamms Bear.

3.1/5  rDev +10.7%

This beer pours a clear light golden color. The head is an inch in height, and recedes quickly into sparse lacing. The aroma is a faint bready graininess. The taste is like the aroma. It is simple, but a little stronger than most Adjunct Lagers. The mouthfeel is light bodied with a smooth velvety feel most beers of its style don't have. Overall, this is a pretty good Adjunct Lager. I could drink this beer again.

3.1/5  rDev +10.7%

Not a beer suitable for a full analysis, but not a beer that is asking for one anyway. For a cheap session beer, this one is near-unbeatable. Nothing about it is repelling, and the taste (straight wheat) is actually decent, if unremarkable. Just as palatable as any other adjunct lager, and wayyy cheaper. Plus the box's and can's artwork (if you can call it that) is classic.

3.1/5  rDev +10.7%

A- Clear golden, thick off white head. Retention is not great but better than most in style. Some lacing.
S- Smell is sweet on the nose, a good bit of corn, and a light grainy character.
T- Well it's heavy on the corn but it's not sulfuric or otherwise vegetal. It actually tastes pretty good, but I wish it was a little bit less sweet.
M- Decent body for style but oof was the carbonation overwhelming my tongue or what? I guess the aggressive pricklyness keeps the sweetness from lingering too much, but it really was a bit too much.
O- A decent beer and refreshing. The carbonation was a poor move but otherwise it's one of the better adjunct lagers out there.

3.1/5  rDev +10.7%

I never know what kind of brewed treat I'm going to find when I show up at my in-laws. This time it was Hamm's, which, to my knowledge, isn't available in most southern states.

This beer is what it is: a decent AAL at an affordable price. Compared to other AAL, Hamm's holds its own. It is much sweeter and richer than many AALs. Personally I didn't love the sweetness, but kudos to them for being distinct. If nothing else, the sweetness is prefered to the typical watery taste of most AALs.

3.11/5  rDev +11.1%

Saw this one on tap at a local watering hole, the kind that local factory guys come to after a good days work, so I had to try it; besides, 3 dollars for a mini pitcher how can you go wrong?

I was expecting something between bud light and water, and no surprise, thats what I got. But what I was surprised at was how comfortable this beer was to drink. It wasn't over carbonated like most light lagers, and it didn't have the slight bitter - however faint - to it of most of the macros.

No, this one is straw pale and a ridiculously easy drink, exactly what I want when I want something refreshing and light; which is what you get.

3.12/5  rDev +11.4%

Not sure who brews Hamm's any more. The last time I had any was about 36 years ago at the Oly brewery tour. But one of our local stores had a 30-case for $17, so I thought it was time to sock some away for casual summer sipping. Then I broke out one and stuck it in the freezer for a half hour, and then poured it into a pint glass (I don't like the aluminum smell drinking from a can). The smell wasn't like a brewery, but just a pleasant non-specific fragrance. The head starts off OK, and drops off to near nothing after a couple of minutes. The color is standard for American beer. The taste is pretty much bitter malt with a slightly sweet touch, and the flavor fades away pleasantly. I think that if you keep this beer cool, you could continue drinking cans of it all day. Half a can provides a pleasant buzz, and this beer will make a sunny day very enjoyable.

3.13/5  rDev +11.8%

Pours out of the can a clear brownish yellow with a thin white head.

Smells of musky sour corn malt and a touch of harsh dryness.

Tastes like college. I mean it tastes like corn and a touch of oranges with a tough yeasty finish with a bit of pepper and metal.

Mouth feel is very think for a crappy beer with a light smooth carbonation.

What can I say? If I ever had to drink a lot of beers again, I’d still have to choose Hamm’s. At $14 a 30 pack, you just can't go wrong.

3.13/5  rDev +11.8%

Okay, with a beer fridge full of imports, and domestic micro-brews I really feel guilty about this one. I'm "slumming-it" in the greatest sense. But, and as the saying goes it's a BIG but, this stuff ain't bad. Sure, it lacks anything that could be called character, but it is what it is. This cheap macro-swill actually stands up. It's got more taste then you might think, and it's best served very cold in a tall glass. The quicker you drink it, the better, because it does show some negativity near the end. But, it IS refreshing, and the first few sips are pretty good. I've had it on tap, and I must say that adds something. But, at $4.50/12 pack, you can't beat it. It's a quiet beer that has survived. No mattter what part of the bottom shelf it's hiding on, beneath the Boulevards and the Fuller's etc., etc., etc., dig it out. This might surprise you. It's not trying to be great, but it does a pretty good job at being good, better than average, and most of all, refreshing.

3.14/5  rDev +12.1%

A-Pours a clear yellow color with two and a half fingers of white fluffy head.

S-Grainy notes with some lemony hops and a faint metallic note.

T-Sweet grain and corn upfront with a slight bitterness.

M-Pretty low carbonation with a light body and a mildly prickly feel.

D-A drinkable and fairly decent version of an American Adjunct Lager.

3.15/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance - The beer was golden yellow with a bubbly white head.

Smell - The nose just makes me think of the spillage at a dive bar. The nose is light and grassy grains.

Taste - There are not a lot of well defined characteristics. The beer is a profile of grassy grains and noble hops. It is not overly bitter, but does run a little dry at the end.

Mouthfeel - The carbonation moves quickly to brush away the main beer profile. It is appropriate for the style.

Overall - For the style, this pretty much nails it. It might be the best American Adjunct Lager.

3.16/5  rDev +12.9%

The little convenience store around the corner from me didn't have Extra Gold in 12 packs, so, from the land of sky blue waters, to the fridge, I decided to plunk down my hard-earned nine bucks on this one.
It's been years since I've chugged Hamm's.
Not much has changed, for better or worse.
As with most swills, I usually don't bother pouring it into a glass.
For reviewing purposes, a couple of sips dumped into a low-ball glass reveals a pleasant enough light gold color and a decent head.
The smell is unpleasant. Like opening a can of green beans, with an unavoidable metallic tinge.
Luckily the flavor was considerably better. Decent American macro taste, with the corniness dialed back just a bit further than most of it's neighbors. If the cooked veggie flavor had been back-pedaled as well, I would have given it a higher rating. Oh well. It's cheap beer and tastes like it. For what it is, you can't complain too much.
I can't tell for the life of me if the slight (but pleasant) bitterness is the carbonation or hops.
The mouthfeel was fizzy and watery, but I kind of expected that.
Overall, this stuff ain't gonna win any medals, but I'd still take it over that "beechwood aged, for extra plywood flavor" crap any day

look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

as to what amounts to 'bout fifty-eight pennies a 12 FL. OZ. 355 ml, and hey besides, i'm unemployed (since jan 2K14) and this is a tasty full american beer, thank goodness, that pours fine into a glass (of any shape, of any size) or, as i am enjoying it now, directly from metal can to hungry beer lipped taste receptors.
me likes hamms and will always 'cause the stuff just tastes good, gall'darnit.

12oz can
Served in a nonic pint glass

A - It pours pale yellow with a couple inches of white head.

S - I get some grain, biscuit, and a little skunk.

T - I get grain and grass. Maybe a little lemon zest.

M - Thin

O - It has a little more taste than others in this category. I appreciate the history of this beer as well as other rust belt beers so I'm kind of partial to it.

3.18/5  rDev +13.6%

Im reviewing this beer while on vacation.

I got a twelve pack for $5.99 at some hole in the wall place. The beer around where I am staying is pretty expensive since alot of micro and big name breweries are rather close. (Miller... blachhh)

This beer is in a can. I didnt have a glass to pour it into. So I give it the benefit of the doubt that its average. The cans pretty cool. Old school.

Smell is kind of metallic. Corney. Light alcohol scent.

Taste is the same as the smell. Easy to drink. Nice carbonation. Had a nice veggie water and alcohol taste. Very smooth, kind of a bite at the end of a drink. Slight metallic as stated before.

Mouthfeel was slippery. With the average carbonation its still very easy to drink. It is not sugary or overwhelming. Pretty balanced.

Drinkability could be higher, if the beer was free. :P

Good beer, great price.
I almost said screw it, Im moving to Wisconsin because of the beer here. This place is great.

3.18/5  rDev +13.6%

Appearance - Pours a clear golden color with a half inch thick head that dissipates quickly. Has some pretty nice, creamy lacing.

Smell - A little skunky when I first poured it.. Now I smell strong scents of corn and grains. A little bready too

Taste - Very sweet with strong flavors of corn and grains. Almost has a rice-like taste similiar to sorghum beers.. The metallic flavor is also there.

Mouthfeel - Has a pretty thick/creamy body with mild carboation. The carbonation is what gives it that creamy texture.

Overall - I'm honestly impressed by how bad this beer ISN'T lol.. In my area, Busch is the cheapest beer you can buy. They just started selling this stuff and it's about a dollar cheaper

look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I believe this is the best cheap beer out there, at $12.19 a thirty it's an unbelievable value for me, way above Stag, PBR, or Milwaukee's best (witch I tend to consume in high volume). It's no craft beer by any means, but for a classic American beer this is a home run for me.

a re-review.
i felt the need to re-review this beer because it's now $10 a 30 pack locally...making it almost the cheapest macro selection around. i usually chose high life, but oddly i've been swilling this stuff lately.

hamm's pours out clear and quite light golden, with a minimal head that dies quickly. practically no lace. the aroma is grainy and grassy; not obnoxiously of cheap adjuncts, but more pleasant. the taste follows suit, the grain/grass combination really asserts itself and the hopping really can be noted. while the maltiness is noticeably thin and watery, it still tastes fairly refreshing. i would rate it slightly higher in drinkability, just becasue it doesn't taste bad. those macro drinkers who like the neutral flavors of anheuser-busch will be offended by the character of this beer. but i'm not. while drinking this beer, i think about growing up in the land of sky blue waters, and how our minnesota forefathers appreciated this beer while engaging in their favorite leisurely pastimes.

a side note...my favourite beer glass, which i sample most of my beers in, is a classic hamm's pint schooner. oh, the nostalgia....

3.19/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Serving: can, from the can
Served: 24 August 2013

Appearance: Had this one at a party directly from the can, so I can't say that I actually saw the beer itself. Not a terrible looking can though. For cheap adjunct lager, however, I must say that PBR takes the crown.

Smell: Smells similar to PBR- light and corny, which some malt discernible through the sweetness. Very uncomplicated and 'beery'.

Taste: Actually not too shabby. This one, though rated much lower than PBR, didn't taste much better or worse than it. For a cheap go-to party beer, this is definitely a step up from the BMC light options, since I could actually taste something of the beer even though it was in an ice bath.

Mouthfeel: Nicely carbonated. Makes the beer supremely drinkable.

Overall: Truly not a terrible option for a cheap, easily drinkable beer for social events where drinking for taste is not the primary goal. This would be a good option for college parties, tailgates, and other social events where you want an unassertive crowd pleaser that is a step up from ice-cold light lagers.

3.2/5  rDev +14.3%

Presentation: 12oz can. "Brewed in true family tradition from purest water and choicest barley malt, grain and hops." adorns the can. No identifiable freshness date, but there is a batch number.

Appearance: Pours a nice frothy white, two finger head that quickly settles to a thin lace. The clear liquid is a very pale, straw yellow.

Smell: Light hops, grain and a metallic edge in the aroma.

Taste: This light-bodied brew is immediately crisp and freshing with a smack of lemon in its gentle hop bite. Notes of salt also come into play as the brew dries with a nice crispness. Grain flavours follow with a thin, but even, sweetness. I can also pick-up on an addition of corn as the beer warms. The beer finishes with metallic and grain flavours with some dryness to it.

Notes: This is a damn fine "Union Made" beer, and certainly better than its more marketable brethren. It's simple and easy to drink, but the best part is its $2.99 a 6-pak price tag.

3.21/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I can remember the TV adds for this beer back in the 70's. One of my northern trucker buddies brought be a six of this since I haven't seen any since the mid 70's. Brings back memories. Very impressive head, three fingers of dense foam, with much lace and cling. Clear with lots of micro bubbles, a 4 on the SRM beer color chart. The smell brings be back to days of camping in Michigan, aromas of cereal grains, a slight floral array, and a wisp of lime. Taste is not quite what I remember from the 70's but it is not bad. Lime in the fringes, wheat, oats and malt in the forefront. Mouthfeel is thin but helped by the massive carbonation. Great for old time sake, brings back lots of good memories when I taste a mouthful.

3.21/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Tall boy can - six pack for $4.00! Pours straw yellow - a shade darker than the average American Adjunct Lager. Foamy white head, lingers for a bit then stays as a thin wispy lace on top of the beer. Aromas is faint hops and cornbread - again, a bit above average for the style. Taste - Bready with a corn tinge, hops are definitely apparent but very light - very clean flavor profile - crisp and refreshing. Overall, just a touch better than many of its more famous competitors - given that this is one of the cheapest beers out there ,it is not bad for what it is. would choose over Coors, Bud, or Pabst.

Hamm's from Hamm's Brewing Co.