Hamm's | Hamm's Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Wisconsin, United States | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2001

Reviews: 249 | Ratings: 719

Hamm's Beer -- $5.99 for a twelve-pack at my local beverage emporium, so I couldn't pass it up.

Appearance: Vintage can with the blue, white and gold design, and red Hamm's logo. Beautiful. I drank it out of the can, so I didn't examine the color, head, and lacing. Like it really matters, anyway.

Smell: Smells good. Pure clean beer aroma, no problems at all.

Taste: Damn good. It's crisp and light, with an extremely light touch of hops. Incredibly unique and refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Heavily carbonated and fizzy. It gives a tongue-tingling sensation equal to Miller High Life.

Drinkability: Hamm's tastes good enough to savor in small amounts, or to guzzle as a session beer. Either way, you won't be disappointed.

Overall: Highly recommended.

3.65/5  rDev +30.4%

A: three finger head, wheat golden, very bubbly. decent head retention, not fantastic. little to no lacing

S: Weak smell. Pretty basic. Slightly bready or maybe biscutty

T: Very little taste I suppose, thought last night was at a tasting and the palate probably isn't really recovered. Leaves a bitter aftertaste on the front of the mouth, but not a hops bitterness

M: Thin, carbonated. Comparable to tonic water.

D: Easy, not much to stop you in terms of taste, just carbonation if that bothers you.

Poured from 12 oz. can into a stein.

3.86/5  rDev +37.9%

A: Light straw gold body with not much head.
S: Smells of grains and corn. Not foul smelling like a lot of other adjunct lagers.
T: Pretty watery, but not bad for the style. A hint of hoppy bitterness, but other than that not too much. Maybe even a little buttery.
M: Fine; a bit high on carbonation for my liking.
D: Again, for the style, not bad--easy to have a few. Also would probably be a good beer to have with a variety of foods.

3.1/5  rDev +10.7%

This beer pours a clear light golden color. The head is an inch in height, and recedes quickly into sparse lacing. The aroma is a faint bready graininess. The taste is like the aroma. It is simple, but a little stronger than most Adjunct Lagers. The mouthfeel is light bodied with a smooth velvety feel most beers of its style don't have. Overall, this is a pretty good Adjunct Lager. I could drink this beer again.

2.6/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

This beer is one of those beers that swill, but it's cool to drink it. It is a watery lager with unsetteling sweetness, but like Natty, the Beast and PBR, it is always cheap, and alway chic. This is swill. But I love it. Good with bluegill and making brats.

2.38/5  rDev -15%

Ordered a can at the Bryant Lake Bowl in Minnapolis. I just had to try it. And now I have. OK, this is basically PBR extra. Same watery sweetness with a cheap lager tang and a slightly bigger touch of spicy hops. Yeah, it worth trying for the sake of trying Hamm's, but it's not a terribly pleasant beer. Not patently offensive, but the taste is most easily described as cheap, watery, American beer.

3.67/5  rDev +31.1%

A- Pours a 1.5 finger bright white head. In a matter of about a minute, it dissipates into an ultra thin cap. The body is piss yellow and crystal clear.

S- Some malty sweetness is present with notes of apple and lime/citrus notes. There is a minute graininess and a touch of adjunt in the nose as well.

T- Starts off very clean with notes of light melon, and a thin graininess. The finish is a touch drier than the start and retains some of the malt (melon) notes.

M- Medium Carbonation works well. Ultra clean on the palatte

D- This ranks in at 5 and change % by volume so it's very drinkable. I usually pick PBR over this but for 11.99/case, you can't go wrong. Best enjoyed from the can, although the review was from a glass.

1.4/5  rDev -50%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Yellow corn colored beer with a shiny light foamy white head. Head subsides very quickly into the lightly carbonated beer.

Light scent hints of sweet corn and barley. In the distance a scent of hop.

First taste is of a sweet granola cereal then the taste dies quickly into a watered down taste of malt with a very light hint a hop. As continue to drink the initial flavors start to die off and I think I'm consuming dirty water

I was excited when I bought this beer, I felt cool; like a born again college frat kid, then I remembered why I never wanted to be in a Frat and I hated almost everyone in college.

3.07/5  rDev +9.6%

Picked up at a company function.

A: Straw colored with great clarity and mild carbonation from tiny bubbles. Big foamy white head stuck around longer than I thought it would. Left no lace.

S: Promising. A nice aroma of pepper is accompanied by a bit of raw grain.

T: The aroma doesn't translate to the taste. Pretty standard macro fare, but better to me than the BMC mainstays. Mild Malts hit first with flavors of dry barley, wheat and rice, but not necessarily in that order. Bitterness provides balance, but no discernible flavor other than a little metal. Finishes extremely clean.

M: Light body is fizzy, but not overly so.

D: A good yard work and family barbecue beer. In the bargain beer department, this slots in alongside PBR for me. Since a 12-pack of Hamm's goes for less than PBR, this is my new go-to cheap beer.

3.7/5  rDev +32.1%

Pours clear gold with a big white head and some minor lacings.

Aroma is corny with some floral hops.

Taste is American macro all the way but more flavor than most. Some detectable hops.

Mouthfeel is average for the style.

Drinkability is better than average. One of my favorite US macros.

3.22/5  rDev +15%

A: Well, okay. I have to admit, I'm drinking this out of a can. Seriously, who pours Hamm's into a glass? Not me! Up the punx! ;) But it's your typical American lager. That's what it looks like. Nothing special.

S: This beer has a kind of sweet smell to it. Pleasant, for sure. Not exceptional, but makes it that much more exciting to drink!

T: One of the better cheap-ass domestic beers out there, I think. A little bit of bitter citrus and a sweet, bready finish. I could throw these back all night if I wanted to.

M: Feels "cheap." Really "fluffy."

D: Once again, I could drink Hamm's all night. It's not the best beer in the world, but for what it is - a cheap American lager - it's definitely pretty good. It doesn't taste as much like hair as Pabst. It's not as watery as Olympia. It's just a decent, drinkable beer.

2.68/5  rDev -4.3%

Appearance: thin, pale, and golden. Soapy, bubbly head disappeared quickly

Smell: husky grains (corn, barley and what not). Meager hop presence

Taste: crisp malt and grains, slender taste overall. I seem to get a light metallic flavor to this beer. Hops are thin and somewhat astringent towards the finish

Mouthfeel: light body and bland overall. Sits in the mouth alright...especially when ice cold. I could see this in my fridge from time to time. It is a sub-par macro-lager that is cheap and will do the job! Hard to come by this beer and when I saw it for 3.99 for a sixer of 16oz cans I just had to have it

2.67/5  rDev -4.6%

Appearance - Poured a light golden color with a white foamy head. Slight laciness.

Taste - Hint of barley but definetly cereal grains. Minor after taste of grains.

Smell - Nothing but a hint of grains.

Mouthfeel - Like water, no texture

Drinkability - Good, very light.

Not a bad beer for the price. Excellent for sitting around a camp fire or on a hot day to enjoy a couple.

3.23/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Okay, I am updating my rating from last time... I do not know if I had a skunked batch, or what, but Hamm's is really not too bad for being the cheapest brew (12 pack) at the local liquor store. Decent taste and drinkability have made this one of my new 'Summer Beers'.

1.6/5  rDev -42.9%

Pours a very, VERY pale yellow with a soft white head that sticks around for a while. Millions of little bubbles rise to the top of the glass constantly.

Aroma is mostly crisp grain like it is freshly cut. A little sulpher comes to the nose as well.

Taste is a real disappointment to me. Very grainy corn flavors, a little slippery on the tongue and a hop finish that doesn't taste like hops but rather sweet malt gone bad. With all of that said it is one of the weakest tasting brews I've ever had.

I'm sorry, Hamms..this one is just undrinkable for me.

2.73/5  rDev -2.5%

Appearance is golden straw yellow, a bit more character than most macros. Some head, but no lacing.
Smell is ok, smells like cheap malt and thats about all.
Taste is same as the smell but a bit stale that didn't come through on the nose.
Mouthfeel light medium with some carbonation.
Drinkability is inhibited by the stalenss.

3.74/5  rDev +33.6%

9.99 a case, I had to try it. You know what, its not bad - much better than any popular BMC brand. Light yellow color, smelled better than your typical macro, but taste fantastic. I wish this was available in bottles....looks like its going to be a Hamms summer!

2.3/5  rDev -17.9%

12 oz can poured into a pilsener glass. pours a crystal clear light straw color with a half finger of loose white head that fizzles out quickly. no lacings.

aroma is of grain and a possible distant note of floral yeast or hops. the grain is stale in character, and holds no sweetness or richness.

taste is of light malt and grain up front, with a crisp and clean finish, almost sour on the palate. no floral character or hop presence. very thin in profile.

mouthfeel is ultra-light bodied, and the texture resembles sparkling water. the finish is of mild CO2 and a touch of grain.

drinkability is not good. this is a sub-par macro lager. the malt is not malty, but rather grainy, and stale at that. there is no hop presence, which leads to an unbalanced composition. not recommended

3.96/5  rDev +41.4%

Poured a 12oz can into my Newcastle pint glass. Pours a yellow straw with just a slight carbonation. Aroma is mostly corn, with a slight sweetness. Not much more. It's really straight forward. This beer tells you exactly what it is in its aroma. The taste is just the same, no exception. Mouthfeel is light with just a slight carbonation. This is one of the better Retro's. It's a really great Lawn Mower beer.

2.96/5  rDev +5.7%

Went to my parents' house for Easter dinner and found that my dad is now including Hamm's in his beer fridge. Remembering the "Promise me anything, but give me a Hamm's" sweatshirt he wore for just about every home improvement project during my youth, I couldn't resist trying it.

A: Pale yellow with a half-inch of white head, some carbonation bubbling up from the bottom of the glass.

S: Unremarkable, nothing really there that stood out.

T: Taste was very balanced and smooth. None of the skunk-like aftertaste I get from most beers of this style.

M: Light bodied with gentle carbonation.

D: This beer was a pleasant surprise delivering more than I expected. It is one of my favorites of the style. I will throw a few of these into the beer fridge as the yard work season heats up here in the "Land of Sky Blue Waters."

2.58/5  rDev -7.9%

This was left over from a party...ya, I am a grown man and someone brought this to my house...poured into a glass this has a wheat color with a thin white head that dissipated before I put the can down. There was almost no smell at all, maybe a little skunk but nothing else. Very bland taste with mild carbonation. Not much else to say.

2.33/5  rDev -16.8%

Appearance - Nice white head about a quarter of an inch tall but it fades away fast leaving no trace. The body is clear golden yellow with a hint at orange depending on the angle of my view.

Smell - The scent has soapiness to it often found in a hefe. Nothing special about this aroma.

Taste - The taste is thin and weak. It has a subtle flavor in consisting of malt but nothing I'd consider a good flavor.

Mouthfeel - The feel of this brew is actually not to bad. It has a subtle coarseness on the tip of my tongue, which helps to bring out what little flavor there is.

~ As far as a, hang out with buddies and drink a few beers, beer. It's not something I'd bring to a social gathering but I have to admit it could be worse.

3.03/5  rDev +8.2%

This seemed like the perfect compliment to a Frito pie at Quencher's Saloon in Chicago. At $2, I couldn't complain...

It poured an apple juice gold, with plenty of ascending streams of carbonation. One finger of head rapidly faded to a thin white ring around the edge. A small amount of spotty lace resulted, but it didn't really stick.

Light corn aroma, with a vague floral scent behind it.

Mild artificial apple flavor, and dry papery malt. No hops to speak of, although overall it's pretty inoffensive. Light and gassy feeling. As long as it's served ice cold, it's not hard to drink when you're thirsty. Possibly a better alternative to some of the more tasteless macros.

This will always remind me of Johnnie's in Chicago... RIP.

3.58/5  rDev +27.9%

Poured from can into a mug.
Appearance: Considering this is a cheap man's beer it is suprisingly attractive. Nothing special but nothing disappointing. Decent head, and good color for this style.

Smell: The smell led me to believe that it was going to be a very bitter, very malty beer. Maybe that was just the aluminum can. Just a slight odor of hops.

Taste: WOW! Could not believe how good it tasted. Very balanced brew, that has a pretty nice crisp, hoppiness to it. Also has a bit of a "zing" to it, can't put my finger on it, but almost citrussy.

Mouthfeel: Good feel. Not overly carbonated like some of the macros.

Drinkability: This is without a doubt the most drinkable beer I have ever had. Goes down real nice. Especially when hittin the links.

Review: More of an IPA man myself, however this beer did not disappoint me in the least, especially considering the fact that a paid $6.49 for 12 pack. I can say without a doubt that for the money this is the best beer out there. Of course there is better beer out there, but if you want some cheap beer this the beer.

2.75/5  rDev -1.8%

I haven't had this beer in 15 years. I use to bring this to BYOB parties knowing that no one else would steal my brew. They would stick to Bud, Busch Light, and High Life and mock me and my Hamm's.

This is a very pale looking beer with large white head that settles quickly. Very lively long after the pour.

The smell isn't nearly as obnoxious as most other macro lagers. There still isn't anything good about it though.

The taste is weak. Don't remember it being this weak. Maybe get a little bit of the hops but otherwise is beer flavored water. It is light and crisp so pounding these all night would be no problem. Maybe that is why I liked it back in the day.

Hamm's from Hamm's Brewing Co.