Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Hamm's - Hamm's Brewing Co.

Hamm'sHamm's

poor

Hamm's Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hamm's Alström Bros
3.74/5  rDev +29.4%

9.99 a case, I had to try it. You know what, its not bad - much better than any popular BMC brand. Light yellow color, smelled better than your typical macro, but taste fantastic. I wish this was available in bottles....looks like its going to be a Hamms summer! (262 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -20.4%

12 oz can poured into a pilsener glass. pours a crystal clear light straw color with a half finger of loose white head that fizzles out quickly. no lacings.

aroma is of grain and a possible distant note of floral yeast or hops. the grain is stale in character, and holds no sweetness or richness.

taste is of light malt and grain up front, with a crisp and clean finish, almost sour on the palate. no floral character or hop presence. very thin in profile.

mouthfeel is ultra-light bodied, and the texture resembles sparkling water. the finish is of mild CO2 and a touch of grain.

drinkability is not good. this is a sub-par macro lager. the malt is not malty, but rather grainy, and stale at that. there is no hop presence, which leads to an unbalanced composition. not recommended (786 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +37%

Poured a 12oz can into my Newcastle pint glass. Pours a yellow straw with just a slight carbonation. Aroma is mostly corn, with a slight sweetness. Not much more. It's really straight forward. This beer tells you exactly what it is in its aroma. The taste is just the same, no exception. Mouthfeel is light with just a slight carbonation. This is one of the better Retro's. It's a really great Lawn Mower beer. (410 characters)

2.96/5  rDev +2.4%

Went to my parents' house for Easter dinner and found that my dad is now including Hamm's in his beer fridge. Remembering the "Promise me anything, but give me a Hamm's" sweatshirt he wore for just about every home improvement project during my youth, I couldn't resist trying it.

A: Pale yellow with a half-inch of white head, some carbonation bubbling up from the bottom of the glass.

S: Unremarkable, nothing really there that stood out.

T: Taste was very balanced and smooth. None of the skunk-like aftertaste I get from most beers of this style.

M: Light bodied with gentle carbonation.

D: This beer was a pleasant surprise delivering more than I expected. It is one of my favorites of the style. I will throw a few of these into the beer fridge as the yard work season heats up here in the "Land of Sky Blue Waters." (827 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -10.7%

This was left over from a party...ya, I am a grown man and someone brought this to my house...poured into a glass this has a wheat color with a thin white head that dissipated before I put the can down. There was almost no smell at all, maybe a little skunk but nothing else. Very bland taste with mild carbonation. Not much else to say. (337 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -19.4%

Appearance - Nice white head about a quarter of an inch tall but it fades away fast leaving no trace. The body is clear golden yellow with a hint at orange depending on the angle of my view.

Smell - The scent has soapiness to it often found in a hefe. Nothing special about this aroma.

Taste - The taste is thin and weak. It has a subtle flavor in consisting of malt but nothing I'd consider a good flavor.

Mouthfeel - The feel of this brew is actually not to bad. It has a subtle coarseness on the tip of my tongue, which helps to bring out what little flavor there is.

~ As far as a, hang out with buddies and drink a few beers, beer. It's not something I'd bring to a social gathering but I have to admit it could be worse. (731 characters)

3.03/5  rDev +4.8%

This seemed like the perfect compliment to a Frito pie at Quencher's Saloon in Chicago. At $2, I couldn't complain...

It poured an apple juice gold, with plenty of ascending streams of carbonation. One finger of head rapidly faded to a thin white ring around the edge. A small amount of spotty lace resulted, but it didn't really stick.

Light corn aroma, with a vague floral scent behind it.

Mild artificial apple flavor, and dry papery malt. No hops to speak of, although overall it's pretty inoffensive. Light and gassy feeling. As long as it's served ice cold, it's not hard to drink when you're thirsty. Possibly a better alternative to some of the more tasteless macros.

This will always remind me of Johnnie's in Chicago... RIP. (739 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +23.9%

Poured from can into a mug.
Appearance: Considering this is a cheap man's beer it is suprisingly attractive. Nothing special but nothing disappointing. Decent head, and good color for this style.

Smell: The smell led me to believe that it was going to be a very bitter, very malty beer. Maybe that was just the aluminum can. Just a slight odor of hops.

Taste: WOW! Could not believe how good it tasted. Very balanced brew, that has a pretty nice crisp, hoppiness to it. Also has a bit of a "zing" to it, can't put my finger on it, but almost citrussy.

Mouthfeel: Good feel. Not overly carbonated like some of the macros.

Drinkability: This is without a doubt the most drinkable beer I have ever had. Goes down real nice. Especially when hittin the links.

Review: More of an IPA man myself, however this beer did not disappoint me in the least, especially considering the fact that a paid $6.49 for 12 pack. I can say without a doubt that for the money this is the best beer out there. Of course there is better beer out there, but if you want some cheap beer this the beer. (1,078 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -4.8%

I haven't had this beer in 15 years. I use to bring this to BYOB parties knowing that no one else would steal my brew. They would stick to Bud, Busch Light, and High Life and mock me and my Hamm's.

This is a very pale looking beer with large white head that settles quickly. Very lively long after the pour.

The smell isn't nearly as obnoxious as most other macro lagers. There still isn't anything good about it though.

The taste is weak. Don't remember it being this weak. Maybe get a little bit of the hops but otherwise is beer flavored water. It is light and crisp so pounding these all night would be no problem. Maybe that is why I liked it back in the day. (668 characters)

1.87/5  rDev -35.3%

Cheap. Cheap. This beer is very hard to even find anymore. Pissy and fizzy. Soapy head. The smell of cheap beer made from substandard ingredients. Tastes like metal, hay, and dirt. Thin and watery. But you can drink a lot of them with your jerkoff friends around a campfire. The price is the indicator when you buy this product. You don't buy this for the quality. You buy this for drinking large amounts. And that's a purpose it serves well. Cheap. (449 characters)

3.22/5  rDev +11.4%

12 oz. can, from a 12-pack bought at the local BevMo for $5.99,

A: Pours a light, yellow colour from the can, into a mug, nice white head at first, but bad retention, no lacing, big bubbles.

S: Smells of light corn and malt, but fuller than most macros.

T: Tastes quite sweet from the malt and obvious corn adjuncts used, but it is not off-putting at all. A light flavour, that is a step up from the almost nothingness in taste that is today's mass-produced industrial lager, and I even tasted a bit of hops, the taste reminded me a lot of Schlitz.

M: Bubbly, light, a tad insipid, but it could be worse.

D: One of the better macros I've had, and cheaper than BMC to boot. A good choice if you're short on cash, but wan't a beer. (734 characters)

2.95/5  rDev +2.1%

It is amazing to find this around. It brings back memories of the imposing Hamm's brewery building, the Hamm's bear and the Pabst brewery tour I took back in the early 90s. The tour guide told us they used Hamm's to fill the generic beer cans.

Still an all right beer, any port in a storm.

Light, pale yellow appearance. Minimal malt smells and taste characteristics. Thin mouthfeel. (387 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -27.3%

Haven’t seen this in the store for years. Thought it was long gone. Reading the commercial description made me laugh out loud. "Another classic beer produced by Pabst Brewing." Thats hard to say with a straight face. My dad used to drink this in the 60’s. I drank it in High School some in the early 80’s. Cheap American beer. (329 characters)

3.11/5  rDev +7.6%

Saw this one on tap at a local watering hole, the kind that local factory guys come to after a good days work, so I had to try it; besides, 3 dollars for a mini pitcher how can you go wrong?

I was expecting something between bud light and water, and no surprise, thats what I got. But what I was surprised at was how comfortable this beer was to drink. It wasn't over carbonated like most light lagers, and it didn't have the slight bitter - however faint - to it of most of the macros.

No, this one is straw pale and a ridiculously easy drink, exactly what I want when I want something refreshing and light; which is what you get. (633 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -18.7%

CANOE!!!

from the land of sky blue waters...not bad. it has been a while since i had this, but it was decent. i didnt think this was made anymore. i have not seen it in the stores for years.

another of the many many good lawnmowing and cookout beers.

dont think too hard on the Canoe comment. only about 10 people in the world know what that means and i doubt any of them are members of BA.

suckem up and movem out!

giblet (437 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +14.2%

Do you see how I rated this beer? 3.3 on the Richter Scale. I mean, good grief, give this beer a break. In 1964 when I first drank this "mother's milk" I would have rated it 3.3. It hasn't changed, thank goodness. This is the type of beer that my grandpa and dad drank when coming in from lawn mowing. Push mower I might add. Sheeesh, let's get with the program my friends and honor the name cherished by millions of teenagers in the middle 60's. From the Land of Sky Blue Waters, and always will be. (500 characters)

3.07/5  rDev +6.2%

a: light yellow, eigth inch head that dissapears fast leaving only a trace of lacing
s: sweet corn malts lemony smell
t: starts out with sweet corn malts, ahint of lemony hop flavor, but not watered down, this isnt too bad
m: light bodied with average carbonation, nothing special

overall this is not a bad beer for the price, i picked it up cause i thought it would be cool to try. (388 characters)

2.27/5  rDev -21.5%

This pours from 12oz can a light gold with a smallish head of foam that doesn't hang around very long and there's just a wee bit of lacing.

The smell is very strongly of corn and sweet malt.

The taste on first sip is all sweet malt and corn. A few more sips in and there's some citrusy hops, mostly lemon, in the background that is most noticeable near and through the finish but I can't say it does a good enough job to save this beer from a short and less than stellar review from yours truly. (501 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +34.3%

Appearance: Pours a very pale yellow, nice looking soapy white head has left a decent lacing capping the beer. Beer is icy cold and frosted the glass a bit.

Smell: Some musty grains, cooked rice, a little grassy hops, actually balanced and refreshing.

Taste: Very light bready sweetness, a little lemony citrus, hops are very faint but balance, the beer becomes biscuity in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Crisp rolling carbonation, body is light but not as watery as some competitors, very drinkable.

Drinkability: This was surprisingly balanced and refreshing, stays looking good, superior mouthfeel to other AML. (619 characters)

1.77/5  rDev -38.8%

"headache in a can"

I had this beer last summer at a family get together because someone brought it, the nerve of them!

Drank it out of a can.

Smell some malt and yeast?

Taste sweet, not really a malt sweetness, just sweet.

It doesn't offend and has a sweet after taste.

I got a headache after I finished the 2nd can and needed to take asprin and switch to iced tea. (384 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -2.1%

Went on a beer run fro St Paddy's. Asked a buddy what he wanted. He said anything but PBR, so on a lark we grabbed a six pack of Hamm's. I'm sure the liquor store made their own six packs in the back the way I used to when I worked at a convenience store in college. Still only costed $3.19.

For reviewing, I did pour into a pilsener glass. Short fizzy head that quickly receded to nothing. No lacing, despite the active carbonation. Color is a pale straw yellow.
Smell is barely there. What smell there is is a blended cereal. Taste is also a very cereal malt, but not one type really dominates. It's not corn, could be rice.
Mothfeel is very light and watery.
Despite all of that, it is very drinkable. Would be good for the summer after mowing the lawn. (763 characters)

3.02/5  rDev +4.5%

Refreshing as the land of sky-blue waters (wa-a-ters)
Land of Lake and Pine
cool enchantment
comes the beer refreshing,
Hamm's, the beer refreshing,
Hamm's...

if you know anything about Minnesota beer history, you know that jingle.
And I can't believe it's taken me this long to get to a can of Hamm's!

"Since 1865", says the can. Also, "America's Classic Premium Beer, Born in the land of sky blue waters." (Hey, that's here!) "Brewed in true family tradition from purest water and choicest barley malt, grain, and hops." Goody!

Ultra-clear, straw yellow color, some bone-white head at first, then it's gone.

Grainy nose, with some sweet malt evident, faint hops, but that's par for the style...wait, now I get it, it's injecting some bare bitterness into the sweet malt factor, arriving at a funky feel. Definitely not bad, not unpleasant, with some character.

Taste: not much here, mostly moisture. Slim flavors, if any...grainyness, at best. Malt is shy in this respect, the water rises above anything else. It's like lemonade without the lemon, and Kool-Aid without the Kool.

I can't really recommend Hamm's at all to anyone, unless your chief factors in deciding on a beer are cheapness of price and wateryness of flavor. There are many out there that fall into this category, Lord Love 'Em. I have a hard time knocking it...it's not bad, it is what it is...but, it's not much.

And they had a cool macot once, dress up in his costume, visit a strip club, and see what happens... (1,512 characters)

2.98/5  rDev +3.1%

This review is part of Macro Smackdown XIV. Hamm's has an interesting history. The brand originated in St. Paul, MN and has since been owned by Olympia, Miller and now Pabst. It's now brewed in the Pabst brewery in Milwaukee, the same facility that brews its competitor today, Old Style Beer. Let's see which one is the better pale lager.

Hamm's is almost indistinguishable from the other beer. I don't like its cap quite as much since it's smaller, less creamy, less persistent and leaves no lace, but then Old Style isn't exactly a masterpiece either. Sad to say that most people will never see either one since the beer will be going from can to mouth.

The nose is about what I expected. Unfortunately, even though it's similar in nature to Old Style's nose, it isn't quite as enjoyable. It smells less fresh (even though the beer is fresh) and more musky. A minor difference, but a significant one.

Given the aroma, I thought Hamm's would suffer on the palate, but that isn't the case. It tastes quite a bit like Old Style and I'm not sure I could tell them apart if I wasn't drinking them side by side. This is actually pretty refreshing beer if your expectations aren't sky high. If I had to drink an ice cold macro lager at a cookout in July, either one of these would do just fine.

After multiple mouthfuls, I've decided that it's impossible to tell the mouthfeels apart. They're both acceptable for the style in terms of heft and carbonation. I still struggle with reviewing *completely* to style, so the scores won't be quite as high as they would be if I did.

As noted in the Old Style review, I continue to be impressed by Pabst. The beer they create (these two plus Pabst Blue Ribbon especially) is so superior to Budweiser, Miller and Coors products that I'm surprised at the sales figures. Well... maybe I'm not. Advertising dollars usually win out. Even though Hamm's is technically the loser of MacSmack XIV, it's still worthwhile beer for when you have a hankering to go old school. (2,015 characters)

3.05/5  rDev +5.5%

Wow, what a beer. It brings back memories. I can remember my dad stopping at the local store and picking up a case of it. I can remember my parents and their friends playing cards and drinking this beer.
I found this little gem in the Batesville Liquior Store in Batesville, IN. it is not bad for a macrobrew. It is also very cheap! It has a decent mouthfeel and a crisp finish. You can taste the corn but that is not a bad thing in hoosierland! (447 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +26.3%

Reviewing this for what it is, an inexpensive lawnmower beer. If you start with the macro brew idea firmly implanted you won't be disappointed. Drinkability is excellent because you won't notice the first 2 ,overall a better choice to me than Miller Lite or Bud for a softball game or the weekend fishing trip. (310 characters)

Hamm's from Hamm's Brewing Co.