2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hamm's - Hamm's Brewing Co.

Hamm'sHamm's

poor

Hamm's Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2001)
View: Beers (3) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hamm's Alström Bros
Ratings: 458 | Reviews: 202 | Show All Ratings:
ElGordo

2.68/5  rDev 0%

Presented in a 24oz "Power Cylinder" (my words, not the marketing dept.'s). This was my drink of choice my first year or so in college, and I'm still a semi-avid collector of memorabilia featuring the Hamm's Bear.

Pours a pale straw color topped by a small, fizzy white head. Aroma is pretty much nonexistent. Not good, not bad, just not much of anything. Palate is lightly sweet, with very light adjunct malt and just a touch of fruity hops. Finish is clean and slightly bitter. Body is light, a tad fizzy, and a little bit tangy on the finish. I will say this - you can drink the hell out of this beer. Good in the large quantities preferred by non-discriminating types.

02-28-2006 07:14:54 | More by ElGordo
DarkerTheBetter

3.15/5  rDev +17.5%

Pours out of the can a clear brownish yellow with a thin white head.

Smells of musky sour corn malt and a touch of harsh dryness.

Tastes like college. I mean it tastes like corn and a touch of oranges with a tough yeasty finish with a bit of pepper and metal.

Mouth feel is very think for a crappy beer with a light smooth carbonation.

What can I say? If I ever had to drink a lot of beers again, I’d still have to choose Hamm’s. At $14 a 30 pack, you just can't go wrong.

12-20-2005 03:58:54 | More by DarkerTheBetter
nekronos

Mexico

3.23/5  rDev +20.5%

Well, perhaps I was being under the annoyance of those Central America beers with a lot of corn additives, but I really did not like this one. I found a lot of those in it, and really wanted to throw it away after a while. But going backwards, it had a nice bread smell.

10-24-2005 14:58:09 | More by nekronos
mentor

Colorado

2.4/5  rDev -10.4%

12 oz can obtained from a local grocery (HyVee) and consumed a couple days later. Pours a one-finger white fiszzy settling head over a crystal clear very light straw colored liquid. Smells mild hop and 2-row barley sweet. Tastes watery. Malt sweet is very gentle. Hop presence is there, but it's amazingly low. As it warms I get some saaz and maybe hallertauer. Watery mouthfeel and sharp carbonation that's actually part of the taste profile (because there's not much here to taste).

06-25-2005 23:20:24 | More by mentor
scaliasux

Wisconsin

2.8/5  rDev +4.5%

Appearance - Pours very light, in fact, lite light. Very sudsy foam quickly disappates. Lacing negatory.

Smell - Faint sweet adjuncty smell. Like almost every other light lager.

Taste - Slight malt flavor. Noticably less sweet than many macros. Very watery and clearly lighter than most.

Mouthfeel - Quite watery. Little bit of foam, but less than average.

Drinkability - Very inoffensive, but distinctly indistinct. I was surprised this wasn't worse. As it stands, I wouldn't seek a Hamm's out, but if one should happen into my mouth I wouldn't spit it out. A solid average macrobrew.

This beer was one I always associated with poverty and lack of class. Surprisingly it is noticeably better than some (macro) beers with better reputations (I;m looking at you Bud and Coors).

In conclusion, "The beer refreshing" - it certainly could be if the beer is cold enough and the day is hot enough. "Land of sky blue waters" - probably not, unless Milwaukee moved away from Milwaukee.

04-28-2005 03:00:18 | More by scaliasux
freed

2.83/5  rDev +5.6%

Standing in the cooler room, I was having trouble deciding what to buy. Behind me on the shelf, for roughly the same price as a 22oz, was a sixer of Hamm's 16 oz. cans. I took the physical challenge.

Poured, its a very light yellow, rim of foam (yes, I did pour it into a pilsner on the first one) and moderate carbonation. Aroma is as if a robot had drank a pilsner, then peed it out. Kind of pilsner, kind of robot.

The taste, coming from the same sensory mechanism of smell, is not that different. Its thin, very light in flavors that are predominantly sweet malt and just a turning edge of bitterness. Nothing strong, nothing assertive. But that makes it very drinkable. Plus, it's union made. That helps when it's this cheap.

04-24-2005 04:13:49 | More by freed
Gusler

Arizona

1.6/5  rDev -40.3%

After checking my records, it has been some ten years since I have had a Hamm’s. The beer spews from the 12-ounce aluminum can a cloudless gold with a pleasant bright white head that is frothy in texture, with the resultant lace a thin covering upon the glass. Nose is all malt, crisp and the start sweet with the top cadaverous. Finish is caustic in its acidity, the hops bitter and unpleasant, quite dry and the taste sticks to your palate like crazy glue, a once decent beer that has now become a joke.

04-08-2005 17:48:33 | More by Gusler
MarkBlackout

1.45/5  rDev -45.9%

Really horrible. I drank this one out of a 12 oz. can purchased from Allied Liquors #3, one of my favorite cheap beer/malt spots here in indianapolis. They sell singles of all kinds of low-end shit, with a rotating selection in iced-down coolers. Nice.

I don't blame them for the fact that this shit tastes like malta india with a jigger of heinz white vinegar in it.

no, it wasn't that bad, but the first sip was a real shock. I was speeding down 38th street towards home as the astringent shock hit my tongue and sent me reeling. further sips revealed that yes, Hamm's is horrible, a morbid mockery of a brew. And i love cheap beer!

Do yourself a favor and buy a schlitz or pbr instead..

01-07-2005 08:12:29 | More by MarkBlackout
dren

1.95/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

And we come to another once of the crappy beers on my list to purchase and try. This is the current case I have sitting in my fridge. A friend of mine told me this was the worst beer he has ever had, and quite frankly he couldn't be wrong. This beer just has a bad carbonated corn taste that turns me off. It is more full than competing beers, but this isn't saying much at all. Each of the cheap macro brews has their own subtle taste after you are hit with the carbonation and watery generic beer flavor, and Hamm's has been the worst to date. I hold this up there with Stroh's. Schlitz still remains my number one go to beer when the funds are low and the need for feed is high. The case was under ten dollars so it is one of the few beers out there that you can still get somewhat of a bargain on.

11-16-2004 18:50:09 | More by dren
mynie

Indiana

This tastes like the breath of a man who lives on the street and does nothing but drink Natural Ice. It tastes likes that man's pee. There is nothing, NOTHING, in this world worse than Hamm's. I just *had* to try another one, just to tell myself how bad it was. This was a shock from the past that I will not soon forget.

10-29-2004 04:50:09 | More by mynie
watermelonman

2.35/5  rDev -12.3%

This poured out of the can with a bright gold and a decent amount of head. I was a little suprised at how well the head lasted, too. There's not much lace to speak of.

The taste is of cheap grains and watery generic lager. For some reason, there's a touch of pepper in the finish.

This beer is almost acceptable.

04-17-2004 22:20:48 | More by watermelonman
TastyTaste

2.8/5  rDev +4.5%

Medium gold with a big white head. Smells a lot like grain and a little like malt. Taste is actually more complex than most cheap beers. Starts out with a watery malt flavor, then passes into an adjunct flavor. For it's very low ($12.99 a 30 pack) price, this is quite a deal.

01-15-2004 01:52:32 | More by TastyTaste
Wingman65

3.2/5  rDev +19.4%

Okay, with a beer fridge full of imports, and domestic micro-brews I really feel guilty about this one. I'm "slumming-it" in the greatest sense. But, and as the saying goes it's a BIG but, this stuff ain't bad. Sure, it lacks anything that could be called character, but it is what it is. This cheap macro-swill actually stands up. It's got more taste then you might think, and it's best served very cold in a tall glass. The quicker you drink it, the better, because it does show some negativity near the end. But, it IS refreshing, and the first few sips are pretty good. I've had it on tap, and I must say that adds something. But, at $4.50/12 pack, you can't beat it. It's a quiet beer that has survived. No mattter what part of the bottom shelf it's hiding on, beneath the Boulevards and the Fuller's etc., etc., etc., dig it out. This might surprise you. It's not trying to be great, but it does a pretty good job at being good, better than average, and most of all, refreshing.

09-24-2003 20:49:21 | More by Wingman65
Tballz420

2.28/5  rDev -14.9%

Good golly, here we go. Same look as most beers in this price catagory, reminds me of a headache. The smell actually gives me one (or was it the truckload of beer i had last night?). Either way, you are getting what you pay for with this one, a buzz. Taste is not great. Better priced than some of the other shitty beers however. All in all Not sweet.

09-13-2003 21:27:26 | More by Tballz420
44ouncer

2.42/5  rDev -9.7%

Was at a party tonight and somebody threw a 12 box of 12 ounce cans into the ice tub. Common tactic used by clowns who most likely traded up to a more expensive product.

They'd been laying around in the ice water for a couple of hours, so they were pretty darn cold by the time I had one. Almost too cold, if there is such a thing. There were plenty of other beer available -- but I wanted to see how the venerable old brand was doing these days.

Drank out of the can, sorry purists, so no comments on the head. The beer itself surpassed my expectations. Sweet corn smell. Light, watery taste at first, followed by a burst of strong, but not obnoxious carbonation -- which led to a decent overall flavor. Nothing really stood out -- either good or bad. A good, well balanced lager. Nothing more, nothing less.

Remember when Hamm's was huge back in 70's. For a while, this stuff was truly foul. When General or Pabst owned this brand -- I really think they just mixed together some chemicals to make yellow foaming liquid that got yo buzzed. Today, I believe SABMiller brews this stuff -- and the quality of their operation shows in the product. Definitely worth a try.

08-28-2003 07:13:19 | More by 44ouncer
jackndan

2.4/5  rDev -10.4%

Hamm’s yes the beer from sky blue waters, Hamm’s refreshing, Hamm’s. Cripes, its been along time since I’ve seen this beer, and longer since I’ve had it. It pours from the can a panther piss yellow. A vigorous pour stirs up the bubbles, but not long enough to register a head that impresses itself. Thick, gorgeous Belgian lace! (true or false, the last sentence was not sarcastic). Adjuncty, barn yard aroma. The taste ain’t half as bad as it ought to be, mainly because its not got much taste at all. Sweet, corny, light bodied. Hell, I bought it as a lark, yet I’m not wholly dis-satisfied. Two dollars and forty-nine cents for a smoking hot six of Hamm’s, money not totally wasted.

06-28-2003 21:54:18 | More by jackndan
budgood1

3.23/5  rDev +20.5%

a re-review.
i felt the need to re-review this beer because it's now $10 a 30 pack locally...making it almost the cheapest macro selection around. i usually chose high life, but oddly i've been swilling this stuff lately.

hamm's pours out clear and quite light golden, with a minimal head that dies quickly. practically no lace. the aroma is grainy and grassy; not obnoxiously of cheap adjuncts, but more pleasant. the taste follows suit, the grain/grass combination really asserts itself and the hopping really can be noted. while the maltiness is noticeably thin and watery, it still tastes fairly refreshing. i would rate it slightly higher in drinkability, just becasue it doesn't taste bad. those macro drinkers who like the neutral flavors of anheuser-busch will be offended by the character of this beer. but i'm not. while drinking this beer, i think about growing up in the land of sky blue waters, and how our minnesota forefathers appreciated this beer while engaging in their favorite leisurely pastimes.

a side note...my favourite beer glass, which i sample most of my beers in, is a classic hamm's pint schooner. oh, the nostalgia....

06-28-2003 15:04:20 | More by budgood1
AtLagerHeads

2.75/5  rDev +2.6%

Another of the great American classic lagers, the Hamm's brew filled a spot in the lineup of "not bad cheap beers." Good looking pour of clear straw color and a 3/4 inch white head. Malt nose with a faint trace of hops. The flavor moderates with warming and moves from sweet maltiness to a grain sense. It was a decent enough beer for the price, but not enough staying power against the macros.

04-14-2003 14:20:58 | More by AtLagerHeads
Reidrover

2.98/5  rDev +11.2%

Decided to review this beer..having seen it in the local Safeway for years but never had the courage to try it..bought in the 24 oz can for 99cents.
IIts appearance is very non-desript..there is a finger sized head for a minute or so after pouring , but it dissapears quicjk..leaving very little trace..the beer is a dark golden colour.
Hardly any smell at all just a hint of corn syrup maybe a small amount of malrt..but even this goes quick.
actually doesnt taste to bad for a cheapo very sweet though.
I suppoe this is drinkable enough on a hot summer day after yard work..but not one I will grab again.

NOte this beer grew on me I did buy more..much more a good backyard BBQ swiller.

02-09-2003 20:08:09 | More by Reidrover
Frozensoul327

2.23/5  rDev -16.8%

This was one of the first beers i had when i went off to college. I tried it as i had never heard of if and wanted to do something different than all my roommates who were Bud lovers. It's not an expensive beer, and it shows. The flavor is not great, but not terrible either. It had a light aroma, and a slightly chemical taste. There was little or no corn / hops flavor, and seemed kind of watery. Either way, i can't find it anymore, and Bud has taken it's space on the shelves, which pisses me off. Overall, not bad. If it was there, i'd drink it.

01-18-2003 11:10:09 | More by Frozensoul327
Rifrafboy

2.53/5  rDev -5.6%

This is not as bad as expected. It is not a great beer, in fact, it borders on crap. But I wouldn't complain if I got one on a hot summer day. Pours straw yellow, with a dry white head which is gone in seconds. Taste is of corn. Hoppiness is weak. Very little if any malt flavor. Still, an interesting American lager.

01-16-2003 17:32:08 | More by Rifrafboy
bditty187

Nebraska

2.58/5  rDev -3.7%

Light yellow, head reached about a ½ inch, spotty lace. The nose is sweet (like corn). The taste is sweet (like corn). Once this beer warmed, even minimally, it really started to taste cheap. When the beer was cold it was okay… Now that I have tried Hamm’s I can move on, I don’t need to go back.

11-29-2002 19:34:37 | More by bditty187
sinistersteve

2.73/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

As far as cheap beers go, this is probably one of the best. Hamm's has a decent taste to it, but you still need to drink it quickly since its taste goes downhill when achieving room temperature. I would never buy Hamm's myself, but I don't have a problem drinking it at a buddies house.

08-18-2002 08:48:33 | More by sinistersteve
ZAP

2.03/5  rDev -24.3%

Since I'm from the land of sky blue waters I thought it was worth a shot as I really like the Hamms Genuine Draft..This is not a good macro lager, but it's not a horrible one either...It's drinkable...crisp and clean...some adjunct taste and smell (cornish)...I'm not sure how close this resembles the original Hamm's but it is not worth seeking out. I think the original Hamm's was a Coors/Olympia type lighter/thinner style lager....this one seems to have too much adjunct/corn taste to it...still it's not a horrible beer..This label I think was first sold to Pabst and now is in Miller's hands...

06-10-2002 21:23:20 | More by ZAP
Wildman

1.55/5  rDev -42.2%

This beer was a very pale yellow color and formed really no head to speak of. The aroma was of grain and alcohol. The flavor was of grain and some alcohol. Very light beer and not much in the finish.I had totally forgotten about this beer. I really think that some macro beer companies need to rethink their policies. Cheap beer should have at least one redeeming quality, which is drinkability. This one does not have that.

05-22-2002 21:35:39 | More by Wildman
Hamm's from Hamm's Brewing Co.